Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and the there's the people doubling down on the boredom by going "well, the committee determined in paragraph 231:19 that..."

posix is a pos far beyond even yos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
unpopular take: "open standards" are an anachronism from the days of closed source vendors when you wanted to believe that you could just say "*harrumph*, well i suppose i will just take my business elsewhere" if ibm gave you an unfavorable renewal quote (and ibm would of course respond with "lol. lmao"). but you could tell your boss that you have the illusion of choice in a competitive marketplace of vendors and that was good enough for him.

these days you have open source infra instead so you don't really need a marketplace of so-called "open standards", you need a specific software package that isn't under the control of one single entity who will always be looking for the ideal time to flip the rent extraction switch. notably we don't quite have anything like that for web browsers right now, because they are all centrally-controlled "open source" projects where the vast majority of the manpower on each individual web browser project all reports to some central for-profit body of senior management.

as for kernels, well, try doing any sort of development other than ios or html5 on macos without there being any virtual machines involved and let me know how that works out for you. for backend services posix by itself isn't that useful, you generally need an implementation of the linux cgroups api as well, and the sum total of kernels that implement this api consists of, well, the linux kernel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one of the things stallman got right is that focusing on which kernel things run is a really dumb way to understand an ecosystem. even dumber to focus on who makes the garbage unix utilities or overengineered libc of course, but correct that the kernel matters little.

if the choice of kernel matters so little why aren't we all using gnu/hurd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
turns out stallman was completely wrong and the kernel is the only thing that matters and the linux shell script detritus that makes up "gnu" is totally worthless (hence the name free software)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

correct.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BobHoward posted:

if the choice of kernel matters so little why aren't we all using gnu/hurd

what would cause the change if it doesn't matter?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
all the development ive ever done would run in literally any posix environment with probably an hour or twos effort.

this should tell you all you need to know about both posix and my development skillset.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
oop - wait. theres a shitton of rexx in there and i dunno if orexx is fully posix portable. maybe not then…

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

95% of all development i've ever done could run on any modern operating system with roughly 0 hours of effort

but, taking the posix aspect aside, i really wonder how many people going "hell yeah linux rocks" would be the least bit inconvenienced if circumstances somehow developed such that freebsd became the obvious choice for e.g. money reasons. which is why i also don't get being real into kernels unless you're really into like device bringup work or some such.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

95% of all development i've ever done could run on any modern operating system with roughly 0 hours of effort

but, taking the posix aspect aside, i really wonder how many people going "hell yeah linux rocks" would be the least bit inconvenienced if circumstances somehow developed such that freebsd became the obvious choice for e.g. money reasons. which is why i also don't get being real into kernels unless you're really into like device bringup work or some such.

nice work if you can get it

really pays the bills

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyways, the fact that python has been ported and tested to all of the modern relevant computer architectures means that I don’t have to do that kernel work (or creating kludges for weird kernels) since someone else has already done it for me

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

too bad python is utter poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fresh_cheese posted:

too bad python is utter poo poo

Why?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

load bearing whitespace is the stupidest poo poo ever

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fresh_cheese posted:

kinda rude to your mom tbh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i have spent more time working around whitespace in bash and yaml then i have in python

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, white space in Python isn’t a problem. Use PyCharm and stop caring. Also black, mypy, and flake8.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fresh_cheese posted:

i only recently had to use python and its fine lol

just use an ide

mystes
May 31, 2006

Significant whitespace doesn't really matter unless you don't normally indent your code in other languages in which case that's gross

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

Significant whitespace doesn't really matter unless you don't normally indent your code in other languages in which case that's gross

gob’s program doesn’t need indents

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've only recently forgiven python for the incredibly incompetent job of the migration from 2 to 3, and with that out of the way i generally like it.

also helps that there's some actual effort to not have it be just willfully slow and inefficient, i get that there's value in keeping things simple, but it was just wasteful how they approached things before 3.10.

the typing situation even pretty good now, i don't mind it being optional as long as it is good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's insanely dumb that python decided to do a backward incompatible break just for changing print to a function and fixing strings, which could have easily just been a version flag in a project configuration file if that was something that python had, and not fixing any of the important stuff like the GIL, package management, etc.

otoh all the people who refused to migrate for years out of stubbornness were also loving idiots

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they also redid the entire standard library and make a bunch of breaking changes to the C API iirc

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

It's insanely dumb that python decided to do a backward incompatible break just for changing print to a function and fixing strings, which could have easily just been a version flag in a project configuration file if that was something that python had, and not fixing any of the important stuff like the GIL, package management, etc.

otoh all the people who refused to migrate for years out of stubbornness were also loving idiots

that would be one hell of a load-bearing feature-flag

can you imagine feature-flagging every single stdlib function that takes a string, in order to make it take a bytes instead? and feature-flagging the parser, etc? also feature-flagging class definition syntax, and god knows what else? And marking flag-compatibility in literally every module in the stdlib?

package management continues to be an insane garbage fire though.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2023

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the worst thing about python (and every other language) is colored async functions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Poopernickel posted:

the worst thing about python (and every other language) is colored async functions

just use java, op

it also does lambdas better than python, which is admittedly not hard

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's no way the transition to handling strings sanely was going to happen without major breaking changes. That change touched basically the entire language, standard library, and ecosystem. It was always going to blow up.

I absolutely resent the fifty different python packaging tools.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also that there is no nice way to to package your app into a single exe file
they could have owned the LOB CRUD space since like 2000

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://www.phoronix.com/news/XOrg-Vulnerabilities-Since-1988

quote:

It was a decade ago that a security researcher commented on X.Org Server security being even "worse than it looks" and that the GLX code for example was "80,000 lines of sheer terror" and hundreds of bugs being uncovered throughout the codebase. In 2023 new X.Org security vulnerabilities continue to be uncovered, two of which were made public today and date back to X11R2 code from the year 1988.

welp

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Poopernickel posted:

that would be one hell of a load-bearing feature-flag

can you imagine feature-flagging every single stdlib function that takes a string, in order to make it take a bytes instead? and feature-flagging the parser, etc? also feature-flagging class definition syntax, and god knows what else? And marking flag-compatibility in literally every module in the stdlib?

package management continues to be an insane garbage fire though.

we already have that anyway, it's called perl

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you're running untrusted code on desktop linux and it's not in a vm then you've got bigger problems than xorg's swiss cheese security.

maybe flatpak and bwrap will one day provide a meaningful amount of sandboxing but they sure as hell aren't there yet.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

what would cause the change if it doesn't matter?

gnu hurd actually existed before linux, and early linux was not the polished juggernaut it is today

point being, kernels actually do matter and 99% of everyone switched from hurd to linux because it was obvious the upstart project led by a finnish rear end in a top hat was going places while gnu's own kernel project wasn't delivering

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Sapozhnik posted:

if you're running untrusted code on desktop linux and it's not in a vm then you've got bigger problems than xorg's swiss cheese security.

maybe flatpak and bwrap will one day provide a meaningful amount of sandboxing but they sure as hell aren't there yet.

The nice thing about X server vulnerabilities is that you don't have to run the untrusted code on your own machine or outside a sandbox in order for it to be dangerous. It's a lot like a buggy browser running whatever JavaScript it sees. You can only shield yourself by running the X server yourself in a sandbox, which is contrary to what was supposed to be the point of its Byzantine architecture.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

forth is kinda gross though

I don’t know if you know this

but you’re pretty wrong

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

gnu hurd actually existed before linux, and early linux was not the polished juggernaut it is today

point being, kernels actually do matter and 99% of everyone switched from hurd to linux because it was obvious the upstart project led by a finnish rear end in a top hat was going places while gnu's own kernel project wasn't delivering

nonsense. 99% of everyone didn’t use gnu hurd to begin with. essentially nobody apart from gnu hurd developers has ever even attempted to boot a gnu hurd kernel.

the switching that actually happened irl was from proprietary unix, and that was driven by cost-cutting more than any technical considerations.

(cost-cutters didn’t switch to gnu hurd because ok sure yes, the kernel matters in the sense that it needs to actually work and be stable enough for production use and so on)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I don't think anyone could actually even run Hurd back then, even if some code has been written. This was before GNU developed its software in the open. Although the licenses are mostly the same, the way free software was developed back then was quite unlike today.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

and that’s why we should use BSD atop Mach

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not even a little bit.
POSIX defines parts of userspace, a few libraries, and not much else.

POSIX defines a hell of a lot about the APIs a compliant system needs to provide (and their behavior) beyond just userspace and “a few libraries” — despite simultaneously being insufficient for real-world use (see for example the large pile of _np flags needed to make posix_spawn useful as a replacement for fork and exec in real code, despite the obvious superiority of not cloning a process just to replace it)

beyond POSIX, there’s the whole UNIX certification suite, which is also large, tedious, and annoying in its detail, but at least loving Stallman didn’t come up with the name (one of the only actually-original things he’s done)

both are sufficiently divergent from the real world that you’re allowed to distinguish official certified behavior from the usual behavior by means of settings in the environment, at both build and run time

the two biggest successes POSIX has had are getting written into procurement in such a way that it’s not actually required to be used and propagating a bare-minimum portable multithreading API across UNIX variants

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

just use java Lisp, op

it also does lambdas better than python anything else, which is admittedly not hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

don’t forget AT&T loving everybody with the stupid Berkeley lawsuit, that’s a huge part of what got Linux its momentum

Linux would have been a footnote without it