Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

smackfu posted:

There was almost a five year gap between Java 6 and 7.

This gap was called "Sun never really figured out how to monetize this effectively, so they didn't invest a lot"

Now that Oracle owns them and has become very litigious about it, they're just blasting out new versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Volmarias posted:

This gap was called "Sun never really figured out how to monetize this effectively, so they didn't invest a lot"

Now that Oracle owns them and has become very litigious about it, they're just blasting out new versions.

Oracle just doing their best to shoot it in the loving head.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

sadly for us all, Java 8 is mostly good enough for people to use it until the sun burns out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lyesh posted:

sadly for us all, Java 8 is mostly good enough for people to use it until the sun burns out.

Well, it did get released after Sun burned out.

:downsrim:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We did a bunch of interviewing and now the company is on a hiring freeze.

Is this a Resume Updating Event? I feel like this might be the precursor to a Resume Updating Event :smith:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Never hurts to update resume tbh.

Is it a start practicing leetcode again event? Maybe. How bad are the vibes otherwise?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm frankly a little shocked because the sales team just closed another contract and we just wrapped up 2-3 individual sellable products. I have a good rapport with my boss and he says not to be worried, but anxiety is rarely a logical, calculated response :v:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Macichne Leainig posted:

We did a bunch of interviewing and now the company is on a hiring freeze.

Is this a Resume Updating Event? I feel like this might be the precursor to a Resume Updating Event :smith:

It's actually usually a good thing short term because since the company can't hire anyone, it can't fire or layoff anyone without any manager shrinking their empire, so you're not going to get laid off or fired near term. It's a bad thing around raise time because they'll point to lack of budget, and it may turn into layoffs eventually, but if you're looking to cruise and not work too hard and still get paid hiring freeze is the optimal period at a company to do it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Hiring freeze is also sometimes just a sign that someone in the management structure has actual foresight and is cutting off further hiring before they might need layoffs later. Like in my current org we started a hiring freeze way earlier in like early 2022 while everyone else went ham. Then when the company as a whole went through layoffs, we did not have any layoffs. Basically it's cheaper to stop hiring people than to hire them just to lay them off later.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm currently switching companies and my manager basically said that they couldn't hire any replacement because September was when the accounting team started working on closing out the year and there's no room for big spending due to that. Might be similar in your case.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It's actually usually a good thing short term because since the company can't hire anyone, it can't fire or layoff anyone without any manager shrinking their empire, so you're not going to get laid off or fired near term. It's a bad thing around raise time because they'll point to lack of budget, and it may turn into layoffs eventually, but if you're looking to cruise and not work too hard and still get paid hiring freeze is the optimal period at a company to do it.
I disagree. A hiring freeze is a scenario where voluntary attrition is welcomed but backfilling is scrutinized. The organization has already accepted that they're in a recalibration and a rebalancing. They've committed to shuffling around people internally as the first line of defense against shorthanded teams. They're continuing to build those muscles right now.

Hiring freezes usually happen for one of two reasons. First, they might be trying to ride out some broader market trend or macroeconomic condition, so they implement a cost-conservation measure without changing too much about the company's operations. Or second, it's a bellwether for some bigger move, there are RIFs coming or lines of business about to be cut, and this is privileged information that only the most senior leaders get to have their eyes on.

If you've looked at the company's financial position and you fully, completely understand why the hiring freeze is happening and what the trigger is for it to end, it's nothing to worry about. Companies do it all the time. But in the presence of an information asymmetry, you should always be gearing up to land on your feet. If nothing bad comes to pass, the worst thing that you've done is continue working at a job you're happy with.

wilderthanmild posted:

Hiring freeze is also sometimes just a sign that someone in the management structure has actual foresight and is cutting off further hiring before they might need layoffs later. Like in my current org we started a hiring freeze way earlier in like early 2022 while everyone else went ham. Then when the company as a whole went through layoffs, we did not have any layoffs. Basically it's cheaper to stop hiring people than to hire them just to lay them off later.
The salary and overhead for an employee is either a net positive in value generation for the company, or it's a cost. An across-the-board hiring freeze means the company believes there is nothing they can do on their current trajectory that will generate more revenue than any person in any role costs the company. If this state isn't caused by macroeconomic conditions, general risk aversion and cuts in spending from prospective customers, the only way this changes is if the company fundamentally changes the relationship it has between headcount and revenue by scaling either unit costs or workforce efficiency. Yes, it's cheaper to stop hiring, but it's really important to understand what they're doing to change this relationship.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 3, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Always be updating LinkedIn.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How do I politely broach that the "Sprint Planning" meeting is called "Sprint Planning" and not just the "Sprint"

Agile is always abused to all hell but this misuse of the word "Sprint" to apply solely to the planning meeting is a new one for me.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What do they call the sprints?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Those are also called sprints. :downs:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just be happy they don't call all forms of testing "unit testing"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding hiring freeze stuff: I'm in a megacorp and the thing for the past few years is that you're out of sync if you're interviewing when you're allowed to hire. By the time you secure somebody, the freeze will be in place, so you have to do something psychotic and time the interviews during the freeze to hit when they thaw.

There are separate pools for new college graduates, minorities, women return to the workforce, and stuff like that. Some of them don't freeze. We haven't done a general, conventional hire in years and have used those instead.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just be happy they don't call all forms of testing "unit testing"

For a while we had a project which had a "unit test" suite that was mostly integration tests and an "integration test" suite that was mostly unit tests.

The "unit test" suite was the original one and was just a bog standard "all automated tests are unit tests" thing. At one point a test started failing due to an actual bug and the person who was hurriedly trying to get a release out just disabled the test. A bit later that bug turned out to be an actual problem, and somehow someone concluded that the reason we shipped the bug was that we didn't have any integration tests which could have caught it. This lead to the creation of an "integration test" suite which ironically did not have any of the functionality required to actually spin up servers and such to perform integration testing. It was a better test harness than the old one, though, so new unit tests got written there.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding hiring freeze stuff: I'm in a megacorp and the thing for the past few years is that you're out of sync if you're interviewing when you're allowed to hire. By the time you secure somebody, the freeze will be in place, so you have to do something psychotic and time the interviews during the freeze to hit when they thaw.

There are separate pools for new college graduates, minorities, women return to the workforce, and stuff like that. Some of them don't freeze. We haven't done a general, conventional hire in years and have used those instead.

Oh yeah, there's that and at least wherever I worked, hiring freezes are a pretty ordinary thing - like not so routine that you could schedule them in a calendar, but frequent enough that the announcement barely warrants a notice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I might just be doing that "Loud Quitting" thing everyone is talking about.

Moreso in that I was trying to have a conversation on Slack and I got reprimanded for it. So I said gently caress it, went full scorched earth, and asked them what is the point of having a conversational tool like Slack if I'm not allowed to use it to have a discussion. In the larger group discussion with ~12 dozen people.

All of this because I raised concerns with my local environment's stability an hour before a demo. It's "not productive to have these kinds of conversations via text." :rolleyes:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"~12 dozen people" as in 144 people or just 12 people?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

I think I might just be doing that "Loud Quitting" thing everyone is talking about.

Moreso in that I was trying to have a conversation on Slack and I got reprimanded for it. So I said gently caress it, went full scorched earth, and asked them what is the point of having a conversational tool like Slack if I'm not allowed to use it to have a discussion. In the larger group discussion with ~12 dozen people.

All of this because I raised concerns with my local environment's stability an hour before a demo. It's "not productive to have these kinds of conversations via text." :rolleyes:

The big brain move is malicious compliance in that circumstance. Instead of going scorched earth in the chat, let the demo fail and blame the dude who told you to shut up. Don't interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

"~12 dozen people" as in 144 people or just 12 people?

Just a dozen people. Sorry, I like to use the tilde as an indicator of "approximately"

I ended up just winging the demo as much as I could with my broken environment and the "important shareholders" never showed even after 30 minutes into the call so it wasn't even a big deal anyway :shrug:

And now I have the time I need to unfuck my local!

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 3, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plorkyeran posted:

For a while we had a project which had a "unit test" suite that was mostly integration tests and an "integration test" suite that was mostly unit tests.

The "unit test" suite was the original one and was just a bog standard "all automated tests are unit tests" thing. At one point a test started failing due to an actual bug and the person who was hurriedly trying to get a release out just disabled the test. A bit later that bug turned out to be an actual problem, and somehow someone concluded that the reason we shipped the bug was that we didn't have any integration tests which could have caught it. This lead to the creation of an "integration test" suite which ironically did not have any of the functionality required to actually spin up servers and such to perform integration testing. It was a better test harness than the old one, though, so new unit tests got written there.

Oh, I'm just talking about bog standard testing that you perform manually to check if your newly written code is functional (i.e. running the program or loading the page and going through the expected flow), as well as manual regression testing. All this and more was under the umbrella of "unit testing" at one of my old jobs.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Macichne Leainig posted:

I ended up just winging the demo as much as I could with my broken environment and the "important shareholders" never showed even after 30 minutes into the call so it wasn't even a big deal anyway :shrug:

Heh, yeah, when I started doing product demos I had to recalibrate after realizing the demo was the biggest scariest part of my day and the smallest most mundane part of everyone else’s.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

... task failed successfully?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

... task failed successfully?

They have been pretty good and I don't want to make hiring them to sound lovely in itself. It's the part where we have to reach the need during regular hiring, get blocked with a freeze every time, and then find creative candidate pools that come from somewhere in order to finally fill something.

Knowing about those pools now means we get to deal with them freezing as well.

If the position had to replace somebody long known to be leaving, there would be absolutely no chance of a knowledge transfer, for example.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Macichne Leainig posted:

How do I politely broach that the "Sprint Planning" meeting is called "Sprint Planning" and not just the "Sprint"

Agile is always abused to all hell but this misuse of the word "Sprint" to apply solely to the planning meeting is a new one for me.

I have a current coworker who was calling stand-ups just "stands". I.e.; "I'll be late for stand today"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ErikTheRed posted:

I have a current coworker who was calling stand-ups just "stands". I.e.; "I'll be late for stand today"

Gotta send that ゴゴゴゴ around when they doesn't practice their stands

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There’s an epidemic among my coworkers where they use “deprecated” to mean “removed/deleted” and I can’t handle it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
When I started working in tech I got mad because 'Ping' was used to mean 'message someone' when one of the most important parts of pinging is that it contains a positive confirmation of receipt, whereas messaging is a one way communication with no acknowledgment.

I got over it eventually, but that was my weird thing I got mad about.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If your ping doesn't even pong don't @ me :colbert:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ErikTheRed posted:

We have someone who said they were all done with their PR except they have to add the “junits.”

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve French posted:

There’s an epidemic among my coworkers where they use “deprecated” to mean “removed/deleted” and I can’t handle it.

Start killing people. It's the only way they'll learn.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Falcon2001 posted:

When I started working in tech I got mad because 'Ping' was used to mean 'message someone' when one of the most important parts of pinging is that it contains a positive confirmation of receipt, whereas messaging is a one way communication with no acknowledgment.

I got over it eventually, but that was my weird thing I got mad about.

syn sounds like a stripper name tho

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Steve French posted:

Of the examples, this one does actually make me mad. Deprecated things can still be used, you just aren't supposed to. Removed things are very different and I will die on this hill!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
also people mixing up deprecated and depreciated, or pronouncing one as t'other

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

downout
Jul 6, 2009

One of our teams has a bunch of engineers that always ask “please approve this PR!”

Why yes their code reviews are box checking dogshit, why do you ask?

It’s a pretty obvious tell that their entire team culture around code review is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

downout posted:

One of our teams has a bunch of engineers that always ask “please approve this PR!”
Is this some cultural thing? I have people from other sites in the world in particular that will do the "here's a question or some need for support. Please help in answering my question and/or supporting me" kind of thing. It's like they assume asking the question doesn't imply wanting an answer in the first place.