Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DrPossum posted:

McMaster Carr will be the last bastion of decent humanity. Mark my words.

Every shopping website should be as easy to navigate and informative as McMaster, everything about it works well, it only wants to ensure you get your high quality rod of pure cobalt for significantly higher cost than your local specialty metal shop. It does not try to save you $0.35 by switching to the cobalt-nickel alloy rod, it doesn't ask you if you're sure you don't want to buy a McMaster brand back scratcher for Father's day, if you have the part number, simply type it in and the product appears for re-order.

gently caress YOU GRAINGER.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Schurik posted:

Almost correct, ftfy

Uncannily spot on. Are those samey sounding bios actually people or ai? Sometimes it says they've written hundreds of other articles but it seems like they could only pay dogshit for compensation so it's unclear how any of them could make a living at it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

Many people search for gas stations, so it can be hard to choose the right one. Never fear! We are here to help you choose the right gas station. Here's a few things to look out for when you choose a gas station.

1. What is a gas station?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

2. What is a gas station

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DrPossum posted:

At the least the NFL and MLB have been playing this horrible shell game with stream providers on who is showing what. I ran across this when I wanted to watch a local game some afternoon off because I needed AppleTV+ or whatever despite having the team's cable network subscription. gently caress you MLB

Oh God. A ton of Jays Friday night games ended up on Apple+ which no bar is ever carrying. They still use “stats” in the most dumb way (no really it’s easier to strike out with one out than two, trust me bro). One time you would have needed four separate subscriptions to watch all games of a four game series. Insanity

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Isentropy posted:

Oh God. A ton of Jays Friday night games ended up on Apple+ which no bar is ever carrying. They still use “stats” in the most dumb way (no really it’s easier to strike out with one out than two, trust me bro). One time you would have needed four separate subscriptions to watch all games of a four game series. Insanity

Its totally out of control. I e talked to so many old people who have been watching their team for their whole life and all of a sudden they font even know how to watch the games. It’s so hostile to fans.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Elviscat posted:

Every shopping website should be as easy to navigate and informative as McMaster, everything about it works well, it only wants to ensure you get your high quality rod of pure cobalt for significantly higher cost than your local specialty metal shop. It does not try to save you $0.35 by switching to the cobalt-nickel alloy rod, it doesn't ask you if you're sure you don't want to buy a McMaster brand back scratcher for Father's day, if you have the part number, simply type it in and the product appears for re-order.

:hai:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Beastie posted:

Many people search for gas stations, so it can be hard to choose the right one. Never fear! We are here to help you choose the right gas station. Here's a few things to look out for when you choose a gas station.

However, please note that my knowledge is up-to-date only until September 2021, so I may not have specific details about any changes or updates since that date.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Is a gas station like a supercharger?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Everyone should visit this website. It is perfect, even on mobile. This is what immaculate web design looks like and now I'm loving furious that there are no other sites on the entirety of the internet that even approach this level of usability.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just let me use Boolean search terms and respect them ahhhhh

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Do no !evil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Just let me use Boolean search terms and respect them ahhhhh

No, I'll begrudgingly include one result that vaguely corresponds to your search somewhere in the top 20 results and fill the rest with what the algorithm knows you want to see.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of, I'm in a country that doesn't have a local Amazon mutation, and has a pretty varied ecosystem of local online stores - I never understood how anybody could put up with the steaming pile of poo poo that's Amazon, even before the rise of fake Chinese brands. Or etsy. Or any American online store I've ever seen, really. They are all horrible and, as I see it, functionally unusable compared to the places I'm used to. Sadly the trend is for successful local alternatives to look at the model of the lovely foreign giants and slowly emulate them, so I'm left looking in despair as the steady march of progress turns everything into garbage.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of, I'm in a country that doesn't have a local Amazon mutation, and has a pretty varied ecosystem of local online stores - I never understood how anybody could put up with the steaming pile of poo poo that's Amazon, even before the rise of fake Chinese brands. Or etsy. Or any American online store I've ever seen, really. They are all horrible and, as I see it, functionally unusable compared to the places I'm used to. Sadly the trend is for successful local alternatives to look at the model of the lovely foreign giants and slowly emulate them, so I'm left looking in despair as the steady march of progress turns everything into garbage.

Because web development is nowadays done by the cheapest possible labour you can find and web QA is a cost center not a profit center. poo poo gets released that you know the dev didn’t even try using.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Amazon is worse than itself several years ago but still better than most of the competitors. They leverage economy of scale to offer generous prices, shipping, and returns. And often it's just more inconvenient to order something elsewhere, in part because Amazon has crippled the competition. A lot of people also bought into the "Amazon economy" with credit cards, prime streaming, etc. But yeah, it's a lovely website, and it's only going to get worse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Its totally out of control. I e talked to so many old people who have been watching their team for their whole life and all of a sudden they font even know how to watch the games. It’s so hostile to fans.

Its almost like MLB goes out of their way to make it difficult to watch games. It's baffling.

I know part of it is because the teams themselves have their own cable channels (I don't think any other sport does that). But otherwise, I don't get it.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Everyone should visit this website. It is perfect, even on mobile. This is what immaculate web design looks like and now I'm loving furious that there are no other sites on the entirety of the internet that even approach this level of usability.

drat you weren't kidding

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is great look how clean this is

It’s like I’m back in 2004

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Jelly posted:

microwave burritos and frozen pizza

I miss sauce stuffed crust Freshetta!

And that McMaster store is fantastically simple and speedy.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Will McMaster send someone to open the store in the middle of the night if you need it right loving now?

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Today I tried to use an American Express gift card (prepaid debit) I've had laying around for a while. I found out pretty quickly that online stores basically won't touch it, and some brick and mortar places might not either! Neato!
Ugh. That's my experience. My boss gives out AMEX gift cards for Christmas every year. It's like being given money you can't spend. I'd love to transfer the balance to my bank account but that appears to be impossible...unless anyone here knows a way?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ultramega OK posted:

Ugh. That's my experience. My boss gives out AMEX gift cards for Christmas every year. It's like being given money you can't spend. I'd love to transfer the balance to my bank account but that appears to be impossible...unless anyone here knows a way?

once money is on a credit card company gift card it's scrip

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You turn it into real money by prepaying a chunk of your utility bill with the card, then optionally withdrawing that amount from your bank as cash

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The entire internet was a scam and now it's getting a gigantic slow motion rugpull

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

steinrokkan posted:

Yep. I resisted Amazon for a long time because it was so difficult to search and compare different items or find something you didn't know what it was called but you did know what it should do. Then I embraced it for what it is, buying something you already know exactly what it is and you just need that version that is there, or you couldn't give a toot what it looked like or anything. When you are OK with whatever version is on the first page. So a tea kettle, or charging cable or whatever.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not sure how the bastards at the deep state pulled this off but radio waves, a non-ionizing radiation which, in general, doesn't have enough energy to affect atoms, cells, negatively affect chemical processes, and so on...Is now able to significantly affect cells and transfer even biological viruses now.

You wanna talk about things getting shittier for no good reason? This is it, friends.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BigHead posted:

What the gently caress since when did Hulu stop showing Monday Night Football with the ESPN+ addon? I actually have Monday Night free-ish so I can watch most of the game but that's disappeared now :mad:.

lol thinking you have any consistency in sports let alone streaming and sports.

First hour of the game is on Hulu, subsequent hours are on the ESPN app only. Alternating weeks with Prime video. Halfway through the season all contracts void as NFL pushes NFL mobile which will give way to Playoffs Plus, their new app, for the playoffs, which goes back to Prime video due to a court case.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Will McMaster send someone to open the store in the middle of the night if you need it right loving now?

No, but if you order early enough in the day you get your poo poo next day through UPS every time. Really nice when some weird fastener at work breaks and I need one ASAP to prevent delays.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

skooma512 posted:

lol thinking you have any consistency in sports let alone streaming and sports.

First hour of the game is on Hulu, subsequent hours are on the ESPN app only. Alternating weeks with Prime video. Halfway through the season all contracts void as NFL pushes NFL mobile which will give way to Playoffs Plus, their new app, for the playoffs, which goes back to Prime video due to a court case.

This is Good For Consumers

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure how the bastards at the deep state pulled this off but radio waves, a non-ionizing radiation which, in general, doesn't have enough energy to affect atoms, cells, negatively affect chemical processes, and so on...Is now able to significantly affect cells and transfer even biological viruses now.

You wanna talk about things getting shittier for no good reason? This is it, friends.

Generations of entertainment have used science as magic, so to people whose education is mostly entertainment media, science is magic. Science fiction cliches become real in conspiracy theory.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It also helps if you are literally an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Biplane posted:

It also helps if you are literally an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic!
It’s really not nice to clinically diagnose people like that, she could just be a nut.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Wtf. Did they hack my computer and running this site locally? How is the page loaded before I've fully clicked the link?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Remulak posted:

she could just be a nut.

She's crazy in the coconut!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

MrQwerty posted:

once money is on a credit card company gift card it's scrip

For amex gift cards that's basically correct. For visa and MasterCard gift cards, if you have or are able to set a pin, you can often buy money orders at Kroger or Walmart for around a dollar fee.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Needed to find the nearest gas station today so I searched "gas station" on Google maps, expecting to be able to sort by distance. That option was gone. The top result was a Sponsored™ gas station that was significantly farther away than other options. The only filter available was "open now." I could only scroll through a random assortment of gas stations in the area. I had to manually type "closest gas station" to get it sorted by distance.
I've been hearing some pretty amazing things about Waze lately, thinking I might give it a shot. Every time my sister tells me about it, it's like a retelling of "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Youtube is now shaming me for having an ad-blocker by putting a pop-up asking me to disable it. They can take their insane Shein ads are cram them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

She's crazy in the coconut!

What does that mean?
that boy needs therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Beastie posted:

Youtube is now shaming me for having an ad-blocker by putting a pop-up asking me to disable it. They can take their insane Shein ads are cram them.

I used my adblocker to block that popup. Felt good.