Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TACD posted:

and for absolutely no benefit.

"We can sell advertising on them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah but it's advertising that comes very directly at the cost of making it materially more difficult to actually make a purchase. It's absolutely bananas that you'd put an advert somewhere that blocks access to the actual product before putting them on the walls, on the windows, on the doors, on the carts, on lights projected from the ceiling, literally any other corporate psycho location you can think of.

This method makes me think the next step is "well, people aren't engaging with our flashy new fridges, let's make them log in and complete a quick survey before unlocking the doors"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TACD posted:

Yeah but it's advertising that comes very directly at the cost of making it materially more difficult to actually make a purchase. It's absolutely bananas that you'd put an advert somewhere that blocks access to the actual product before putting them on the walls, on the windows, on the doors, on the carts, on lights projected from the ceiling, literally any other corporate psycho location you can think of.

This method makes me think the next step is "well, people aren't engaging with our flashy new fridges, let's make them log in and complete a quick survey before unlocking the doors"

You joke, but I guarantee that the thought process involved meant that the Walgreens marketing people didn't actually care whether people opened the doors to buy something, because that's not what they're being judged by. Nor did they care that the stock counts were incorrect, because obviously that's the store's fault, not theirs.

Just monumental galaxy brained horse poo poo, which is why I expect to see them roll out elsewhere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Even with glass fridge doors I see people opening them all the time just to look in even though they can see through. If people are going to open glass doors to peak inside then you might as well just mount tvs on the door for advertising.

Is probably what I would say if I was an mba.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I count my macros so yeah if I can't easily get calories / carbs / protein then I'm gonna have to open that boi up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TACD posted:

It doesn't block access to the actual product. People can still open the door.

From the perspective of an advertiser, who typically does not consider advertising to be inconvenient or disruptive, these advertising doors actually make it easier to access the product. Instead of having to get up close and look at the shelves through the door, customers can see giant oversized lit-up pictures of the products (the ones the advertiser would prefer you to buy, anyway) in crisp HD, easily visible from a distance.

There are various inconveniences involved, and plenty of edge cases where the system is totally poo poo, but the advertisers typically aren't thinking about those kinds of practical implementation issues in too much detail, and the retail/grocery execs think getting paid to show ads will more than make up for any losses.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't block access to the actual product. People can still open the door.

From the perspective of an advertiser, who typically does not consider advertising to be inconvenient or disruptive, these advertising doors actually make it easier to access the product. Instead of having to get up close and look at the shelves through the door, customers can see giant oversized lit-up pictures of the products (the ones the advertiser would prefer you to buy, anyway) in crisp HD, easily visible from a distance.

There are various inconveniences involved, and plenty of edge cases where the system is totally poo poo, but the advertisers typically aren't thinking about those kinds of practical implementation issues in too much detail, and the retail/grocery execs think getting paid to show ads will more than make up for any losses.

these doors do block access because i wont be opening every door to hunt for the one door with what i want behind it, like im not going to treasure hunt like im on some game show for ~hidden eggs~

like a week ago the doors were like lit-up dancing advertising skeletons, not crispy hd pictures of whats inside

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

atriptothebeach posted:

like a week ago the doors were like lit-up dancing advertising skeletons, not crispy hd pictures of whats inside

This close to being conscripted into the skeleton war

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

atriptothebeach posted:

these doors do block access because i wont be opening every door to hunt for the one door with what i want behind it, like im not going to treasure hunt like im on some game show for ~hidden eggs~

Well, yeah, marketing loving everything up because they're not thinking about how people actually use the poo poo the advertising is plastered all over is far for the course.

But in theory, at the point that these doors are being sold to companies, this is the kind of thing they're being sold on (from Cooler Screens' own website):

That's what the people making the purchasing decisions are imagining - doors that show pretty much everything in the cooler, except with constant "BUY OUR poo poo" popups whizzing around trying desperately to draw shoppers' eyes to the cooler. They've even got different ad sizes that are set to run based on how close someone is to the door. The little popups shown there are intended to run when someone's near the door, and they have full-door ads that run when the closest person is more than a certain distance away.

Of course, in the end it's up to the company's own marketing department to actually make stuff to put on the doors, and that's a massive amount of extra work for them, so in practice you just get absolute poo poo for ads instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can these freezer doors mine bitcoins?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

withak posted:

Can these freezer doors mine bitcoins?

How do I get a hold of a ceo of a food retailer to pitch the idea of selling hot ready to eat food inside containers kept warm by buttcoin mining? Imagine selling rotisserie chicken kept warm from buttcoin miners while advertising to people on the screen mounted door.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yeah, marketing loving everything up because they're not thinking about how people actually use the poo poo the advertising is plastered all over is far for the course.

But in theory, at the point that these doors are being sold to companies, this is the kind of thing they're being sold on (from Cooler Screens' own website):

That's what the people making the purchasing decisions are imagining - doors that show pretty much everything in the cooler, except with constant "BUY OUR poo poo" popups whizzing around trying desperately to draw shoppers' eyes to the cooler. They've even got different ad sizes that are set to run based on how close someone is to the door. The little popups shown there are intended to run when someone's near the door, and they have full-door ads that run when the closest person is more than a certain distance away.

Of course, in the end it's up to the company's own marketing department to actually make stuff to put on the doors, and that's a massive amount of extra work for them, so in practice you just get absolute poo poo for ads instead.

No one buying a DiGiorno wants to be reminded of the terrible nutritional content.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait. They are actually whizzing around? like rapid movement?
Are they seriously making a door sized tv screen that spends its time trying to give me seizures?

Also the idea of displaying a pristine product version and then giving people the utter letdown of seeing the product post-delivery has got to be a net negative for the sales figures.

It's one thing to see a product on the shelf just below a huge image of a perfect version. It's another thing entirely to open a door in order to see the pathetic ersatz version of the advertised product.
Like a Christmas calendar of suck.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SerthVarnee posted:

Wait. They are actually whizzing around? like rapid movement?
Are they seriously making a door sized tv screen that spends its time trying to give me seizures?

It's just the popups, the whizzing around is just their way of keeping the frame from one perspective / store front.

Also lol at a massive temperature on the door. "DID YOU FORGET WHAT TEMPERATURE IT WAS BEFORE YOU CAME INTO THE STORE? WE GOT YOU"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My Walgreens just covers all the doors with videos of Coke bottles dripping sweat and makes it impossible to tell what is in any of the fridges unless you either open the door and look or be a total maniac in public and stand extremely close to the door and stare until the ad is done playing. If it detects a close face when the ad is over, it will trigger the screen to go clear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
This answer comforts me a lot less than you might think.

Even advertising banners along the edge of football stadiums can be a massive detriment to me when the background of the otherwise static ad switches between 3 garish colors over a period of 2 seconds.
Pulsating objects, subtly, yet somewhat rapidly, changing lights while displays zooms in and out will just send me straight to nausea/migraine land.

I suppose its an easy way to choose where to shop. "Seizure land or slightly more pricey store. hmmmmm"

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Chronojam posted:

Is there ever any expectation that a paper map will update, though? Like, it never pops up a survey to ask how the directions were, nobody ever submits corrections via instant-delivery form for a paper map, there's no way to tap it and claim ownership of a building shown.

Paper maps never update live in front of your eyes to reroute you due to current traffic or announced accidents and police presence. There's different expectation.

Probably late on this but paper navigation charts for ships absolutely are updated and annotated that they have been updated thru the most recent notice to mariners week and year.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I dunno about anybody else, but SerthVarnee exists in my goon headcanon to remind everybody that seizures can be triggered by surprisingly mundane stuff. And with that in mind, the natural, illogical conclusion of all this is yes: a pharmacy is going to install displays that will cause seizures. The late-night talk show comedy bit about it has already written itself.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh yeah, my local pharmacy has a bigass screen showing ads.
This would a negligible concern if it wasn't for the fact that the screen is placed... about 1 meter in front of the only sitting/resting location in the venue.

So enjoy standing around grandpa, your hip may be hosed but your seizures can always gently caress them up more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's genuinely upsetting when you think how much lower the planets demand for energy would be if you weren't lighting up giant fuckoff video billboards to advertise poo poo that nobody needs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

It's genuinely upsetting when you think how much lower the planets demand for energy would be if you weren't lighting up giant fuckoff video billboards to advertise poo poo that nobody needs
It wouldn’t be much lower. You’re just latching on to the most visible thing you see.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The biggest sources of energy demand are heating, residential electricity, and transportation.

All of Las Vegas is basically 0.000001% of the energy demand of a day of residential electric requirements.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I dunno about anybody else, but SerthVarnee exists in my goon headcanon to remind everybody that seizures can be triggered by surprisingly mundane stuff.

Since audio triggers are a thing, it is honestly quite likely that someone risks having a seizure every time they hear a specific Christmas song.
One that is played all the time. Every year. Everywhere in the US.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Isn't it incredibly rare to actually get seizures from flashing lights? It is commonly stereotyped as something that happens to all epileptics, but google is telling me that only 3% of epileptics (who are 1.2% of the population) are susceptible to it at all. Which means about 0.03% of people are susceptible at all and a portion of that 0.03% is only going to be susceptible to very specific or high-frequency flashes.

So, as annoying as those doors are, they aren't going to be causing frequent seizures among people just walking into a Walgreens.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Isn't it incredibly rare to actually get seizures from flashing lights? It is commonly stereotyped as something that happens to all epileptics, but google is telling me that only 3% of epileptics (who are 1.2% of the population) are susceptible to it at all. Which means about 0.03% of people are susceptible at all and a portion of that 0.03% is only going to be susceptible to very specific or high-frequency flashes.

So, as annoying as those doors are, they aren't going to be causing frequent seizures among people just walking into a Walgreens.

Yup, I am lucky enough to be a very rare breed of fragile.

1 in 4000 of the world's population is photo-sensitive enough to get the fancy seizures. The migraines and nausea can be a lot more common though.

In all, 1 in 26 people will have 2 or more seizures sometime during their life. This is what signifies the official designation of being epileptic.

The tricky part here is that once your brain gets good at seizure having (and it will once you start getting them), the bar gets lower and lower for what constitutes a seizure trigger.
In vast portions of the world, a situation like Walgreens having fancy flashing lights isn't an issue because the special brain issue having person can go to a different store, but in less developed countries like the US, a huge number of communities have a choice between one store or driving a couple of hours to go to a different store. Guess who can't legally drive for up to 6 months after having had a seizure.
As long as public transportation exists or people in general have the time and energy to drive a neighbor to a destination a couple of hours away just to help them go shopping, that isn't too big of a hurdle.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 3, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

It wouldn’t be much lower. You’re just latching on to the most visible thing you see.

light pollution at night would be better and the health of wild life and local astronomers would be better.

also lol at that demo video clip's prices.0 . 99$ single cans hasnt been a thing in years.

thanks Dark Biden.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of wonder if Walgreens already has something that can trigger. Does anybody else here have a Walgreens where they have that extra security stuff that constantly clacks and chirps? Around here in Austin, there will usually be one or two aisles like this that are just clicking, beeping, clacking, and chirping from whatever the hell they're using. I'm not susceptible to seizures, but it does a great job of melting my brain and derailing my thought process while I'm trying to find stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SerthVarnee posted:

Yup, I am lucky enough to be a very rare breed of fragile.

1 in 4000 of the world's population is photo-sensitive enough to get the fancy seizures. The migraines and nausea can be a lot more common though.

In all, 1 in 26 people will have 2 or more seizures sometime during their life. This is what signifies the official designation of being epileptic.

The tricky part here is that once your brain gets good at seizure having (and it will once you start getting them), the bar gets lower and lower for what constitutes a seizure.
In vast portions of the world, a situation like Walgreens having fancy flashing lights isn't an issue because the special brain issue having person can go to a different store, but in less developed countries like the US, a huge number of communities have a choice between one store or driving a couple of hours to go to a different store. Guess who can't legally drive for up to 6 months after having had a seizure.
As long as public transportation exists or people in general have the time and energy to drive a neighbor to a destination a couple of hours away just to help them go shopping, that isn't too big of a hurdle.

I recently found out that the prevalance of my weird eye condition is less than one in a million. Like winning an extremely poo poo lottery.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the upside, you get to be a patient of special interest to medical professionals.
On the downside, your condition is rare enough that medical practitioners don't know what the gently caress and might just spout bullshit to not appear clueless.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SerthVarnee posted:

On the upside, you get to be a patient of special interest to medical professionals.
On the downside, your condition is rare enough that medical practitioners don't know what the gently caress and might just spout bullshit to not appear clueless.

I got my DNA sequenced, that was fun! And I have lucked into a medical team who will cheerfully go 'we don't really know, there isn't the data' if they don't know something. So it could be worse I guess.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

light pollution at night would be better and the health of wild life and local astronomers would be better.

also lol at that demo video clip's prices.0 . 99$ single cans hasnt been a thing in years.

thanks Dark Biden.

If you're talking about outdoor billboards many of those were lit up in the past with upwards facing lights - no idea if the modern screens emit less light or not.

For the fridge screens, which I assume are indoors, I would be curious if the energy cost of the screen is lower than the energy cost of always on lights inside the fridges plus the cost of increased refrigeration due to losses through the glass.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

Extremely few people live in places that remote. You have to be way out in the thinly populated rural boonies for there to only be one store within a two-hour drive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Doctor why are my eyes still blurry, even though the pink eye is gone?

"You had conjunctivitis, but that's actually all cleared up. The problem is that your immune system is still very riled up and is grabbing on to random stuff in your eye. Normally this is harmless, but in your case it's clotting directly in the center of your vision. A hairs width away in any direction and you wouldn't even see it!"

Cool.

Loved spending years explaining to eye doctors that no, actually, I have to take these steroid eye drops because of a clotting thing, no, I know you don't believe me, just give me the yellow eyedrops and look. Yep, that's it, thank you for the apology but please just give me a contact lens prescription.

Fortunately it cleared up after like 3-4 years but still sucked having to deal with, and even today I can tell I'm getting stressed out when my eyes start getting a little blurry.

Thanks eyes.

Theyes.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 3, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Probably late on this but paper navigation charts for ships absolutely are updated and annotated that they have been updated thru the most recent notice to mariners week and year.

here's a cool article about how complicated and involved making charts/maps of oceans/seas is: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230929-can-a-map-of-the-ocean-floor-be-crowdsourced

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Main Paineframe posted:

Extremely few people live in places that remote. You have to be way out in the thinly populated rural boonies for there to only be one store within a two-hour drive.

Oh. Well I'm very glad to have been way off the mark on that one. Thanks for the correction!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh. Well I'm very glad to have been way off the mark on that one. Thanks for the correction!

Especially because it's very common for one chain to want parity with another chain, so you'll get things like a Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS all within about a block of each other.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://gizmodo.com/zume-softbank-ai-pizza-delivery-stellar-pizza-1850529465

Chapter 11, after conning perennial marks like Softbank and others for almost half a billion

I like the part where they gave up and made pizzas in the truck and dispatched them out. Really innovating the pizza scene there.
Who would've thought making pizzas ina moving vehicle was a bad idea?
It's like they've never seen a comedy witha pizza delivery scene before

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyJRTM0knE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hey, just found out I can actually visit gizmodo.com again and not their lovely localised version which only had about 5% of the articles of the main site and wouldn't let you change your region.

Man, gently caress localised versions of sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hey, just found out I can actually visit gizmodo.com again and not their lovely localised version which only had about 5% of the articles of the main site and wouldn't let you change your region.

Man, gently caress localised versions of sites.

gently caress customized content in general. Give the end user the ability to filter it themselves.