Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Always a great sign of your cases standing with the court when the judge has to make an aside to your counsel not to question his rulings. Wonder if he manages to get an contempt of court rulings in all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ultimately the "funny" part of all of this (if you don't count the tremendous damage he has done to the country and political apparatus) is that if he hadn't decided to run for president and then double and triple and quadruple down on every grift and lie and fraud he probably would have been fine living out the rest of his days as "billionaire Donald Trump" and not dealing with the vast majority of this poo poo but instead he pissed everyone off and drew attention to his more shady poo poo and the likelyhood of him dying in 5-10 years broke and in prison is far higher than anyone could have ever thought

Flew too close to the sun...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Simplex posted:

Generally speaking he could move the Trump org out of New York to another state like Delaware or something. His New York properties are hosed, but I don't really know how much of his empire that actually makes up.

I think the disconnect I'm seeing people have is that while the Trump Org is getting dissolved in New York, this affects everything the Trump Org owns anywhere. IANAL, but that's my understanding of the situation.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

He’s on the prosecution’s witness list. If he pleads the 5th, the judge can draw a negative inference from it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Cant stop himself trying to get people attacked.
As a mob boss would do.
Shitposting from the courtroom.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1709246053977833828

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FMguru posted:

I was always baffled at the way the media kept portraying him as a multi-billionaire in the 2015-6 campaign season, because it was well known that he was broke, that all of his buildings were owned by other people and just his renting his name, that every dollar he made went to service his debts. Real rich guys don't spend their days doing desperate poo poo like get-rich-quick seminars and branded MLM vitamin supplements. And yet the media kept uncritically repeating claims that he was worth $3bn or $5bn or $10bn. It was maddening.

I am really looking forward to the court-ordered unwinding of his rattletrap business empire, not least because it will show just how little he actually owned. I can't wait.

I don't disagree with your premise here, but Trump is exactly the kind of guy who would still do get-rich-quick seminars and MLM schemes even if he was as rich as he claims. This is the same guy who cashed checks sent to him worth less than fifty cents, after all.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So what happens to all Trump Org NDA’s? They go poof, right?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

OgNar posted:

As a mob boss would do.

I'm sorry, the clerk?
Are his brains so thoroughly rotten that simply existing in a room and performing a normal-rear end job in the background draws his ire?
What am I saying of course it is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

El Spamo posted:

"Every use of false financial statements in business starts the statute of limitations running again" lol so like, yesterday.

I was listening to a news podcast the other day that went down what it all means and generally the trump org is hosed proper. It's definitely going into the receivership, which means that all the stuff gets sold. Buildings, office equipment, all of it. From that cash the creditors are then paid out, anyone who's owed money by the now-dead NY trump org, and whatever is left over Trump himself gets. So maybe he gets a big pile of cash, which (lol) counts as income so he'll take a big tax bath in April. And that's it, he'll still probably have a poo poo ton of money in just straight cash after all is said and done (depending on the debt breaks) but that's not real estate or buildings or anything he can put his name on.
So someone correct me then if I'm wrong, but the current hearings that he's sitting in on right now are the damages hearings right? Because the liquidation is due to (civil) crimes, this is to determine the damages owed to the government (?) that will be paid out from the proceeds of the receivership selling off all the assets? So the order of things getting money is civil penalties (tbd by this hearing) -> creditors -> mr. trump.
There might not be much left at the end of that chain.

It's not like all of his assets are owned by his NY companies. He's hardly out of the real estate game, though this will certainly be a big hit to him.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's not like all of his assets are owned by his NY companies. He's hardly out of the real estate game, though this will certainly be a big hit to him.

Very true, it's not everything. It's definitely a big hit, and it is a good thing that there are (finally) consequences.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm also not really sure how they'll handle the subsidiaries for Trump Org that are entirely out of state. They could spin those off and force him to reincorporate elsewhere, sell them, put them in permanent receivership where he has no control over them but would still get whatever profits he's entitled to as the owner, or a number of other remedies.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

ultimately the "funny" part of all of this (if you don't count the tremendous damage he has done to the country and political apparatus) is that if he hadn't decided to run for president and then double and triple and quadruple down on every grift and lie and fraud he probably would have been fine living out the rest of his days as "billionaire Donald Trump" and not dealing with the vast majority of this poo poo but instead he pissed everyone off and drew attention to his more shady poo poo and the likelyhood of him dying in 5-10 years broke and in prison is far higher than anyone could have ever thought

Flew too close to the sun...

I wouldn't say everyone , hes still Orange Jesus for 55% or so of GOP voters who are in love with the idea of him owning the Libs over his obvious failures both in office and as a person. His actual greatest lasting achievement for the conservative movement is just happening to be the guy in office when 3 supreme court justices needed replacing in the span of 3.5 years, which is not something that could happen in a theoretical second term. Like maybe shitlord Thomas would retire which good luck finding a guy more corrupt than he is that'll pass a theoretical Democratic senate majority or even necessarily a GOP one even.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Is there a good breakdown of Trumps various holdings, and which ones are subject to this ruling?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Haystack posted:

Is there a good breakdown of Trumps various holdings, and which ones are subject to this ruling?

This article has a list of properties, as well as how those properties were fraudulently valued which got him into this mess.

One thing I find really interesting about the article is the extent of how he had such wonky math for valuations.

My favorite was him owning minority stake in a building (30%), he could sell his stake until 2044, but he treated it like a ready asset by just taking 30% of the building's profits and ignoring any debt accumulated.

Alternatively he valued his golf courses by assigning an arbitrary membership fee to unsold memberships. People who bought memberships typically paid 10k a year for the memberships. The unsold memberships he valued 50 to 300% higher.

Just going through this article I can best say it as "I don't own a chicken yet, but I put a deposit down on an egg that will be laid in March. I am assuming this egg will be female and the chick will begin laying a dozen eggs each day after one week of growth.

Each egg I will be able to sell for 50 dollars. Each offspring hen I will get will be worth 500 dollars. No I don't have a Rooster, why do you ask? I would like to take out a loan against these yet unrealized profits. I will also sell futures on these chickens. The transactions will be handled by a nonprofit I established."

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1709283412744208468

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dude seems pissed. lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was Trump literally tweeting from the courtroom? Like, the judge is speechifying about important case business and he's just tap tap tapping under the table like he's bored in standup?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude seems pissed. lol

Judges will slap regular people with contempt/sanctions for just being *rude* to their staff

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude seems pissed. lol
yeah! only 70 or 80 more instances of this and he might raise his voice!!!

*wank*

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

El Spamo posted:

I'm sorry, the clerk?
Are his brains so thoroughly rotten that simply existing in a room and performing a normal-rear end job in the background draws his ire?

Somehow, for some avoidable reason, Trump is gonna catch a contempt of court.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

El Spamo posted:

I'm sorry, the clerk?

his principal clerk is a barred attorney that's worked for him for years and at times led questioning of trump's counsel in hearings

in other words, the position isn't just some random minor bureaucrat, they don't like her for a reason

Caros
May 14, 2008

OgNar posted:

As a mob boss would do.

The turn around time between Trump loving around and finding out is shrinking by the hour.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Agents are GO! posted:

I think the disconnect I'm seeing people have is that while the Trump Org is getting dissolved in New York, this affects everything the Trump Org owns anywhere. IANAL, but that's my understanding of the situation.

Won't he just appeal, and then nothing happens until it's resolved, he appeals again, nothing happens, and appeals again?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

shitposting from the courtroom, he still has the heart of a true poster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Comstar posted:

Won't he just appeal, and then nothing happens until it's resolved, he appeals again, nothing happens, and appeals again?

There's a limit to how much appealing can be done, and there's also a limit to how much judges will bother to entertain an obviously spurious appeal. It might take a couple years to wrap up, but a loss will eventually hit home.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Comstar posted:

The New York Appellate Court (our version of a Supreme Court) has already heard chunks of this case and are quite pissed. Both before the sanctions and in response.

I don’t think they’re gonna have much patience for Donnie and they care enough respond quickly.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I didn't know there was potential jailtime for violating a gag order in a *civil* trial. Wow. Good for this judge, lets hope we see the follow through when the obviously inevitable truth social post comes. Donald Trump, you better start praying! You better start asking other people to pray for you, too!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

El Spamo posted:

I'm sorry, the clerk?

There's a picture of the clerk with Chuck Schumer that he tweeted x'd socialed so that means...whatever that means in Trump's head

Kale
May 14, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude seems pissed. lol

In their capacity as personifying the court, most actual serious judges tend to get mad pissed when you disrespect or disparage the courts authority and rules of decorum like Trump and his legal team have. Alex Jones ate poo poo for it too during his trial.

IMO he's trying to bait the judge into action so he can parlay it into his usual whining about being treated unfairly, the difference being that he isn't being treated unfairly and the judge does actually have the power to do exactly the things they say they will do if he keeps disrespecting their rulings and engaging in open contempt of court so whatever political return he gets out of it from his base that will support him regardless anyway is unlikely to outweigh the personal cost of being held in contempt of court.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 3, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

parthenocarpy posted:

I didn't know there was potential jailtime for violating a gag order in a *civil* trial. Wow. Good for this judge, lets hope we see the follow through when the obviously inevitable truth social post comes. Donald Trump, you better start praying! You better start asking other people to pray for you, too!

Contempt of court is contempt of court.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Kale posted:

His actual greatest lasting achievement for the conservative movement is just happening to be the guy in office when 3 supreme court justices needed replacing in the span of 3.5 years

Never forget that it was actually closer to 5 years.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ok so let's assume Trump loses the case, all assets are being sold, creditors get in line.

Trump's kids have mentioned how much money they get from Russia, and it seems to be a lot. Is Russia allowed to take the money with current war sanctions? Does the US confiscate it? Does it get handed to Trump to deal with?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ok so let's assume Trump loses the case, all assets are being sold, creditors get in line.

Trump's kids have mentioned how much money they get from Russia, and it seems to be a lot. Is Russia allowed to take the money with current war sanctions? Does the US confiscate it? Does it get handed to Trump to deal with?

Presumably the money would appear in the form of a loan from a bank that the Russians/Chinese/North Koreans/Saudi’s have secured.

But since Trump is incompetent and arrogant I also presume he’ll do it in a way that violates banking laws and we’ll be back here in 2 or 3 years.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He already has lost the case, but sure.

There’s an order to creditors (e.g. some rando glazier he stiffed goes before Unlce Sam, no poo poo) and the US government is control the whole time. There are some open questions on what’s gonna happen exactly, but it’s not like Russia can swoop in quick by calling dibs or something.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a picture of the clerk with Chuck Schumer that he tweeted x'd socialed so that means...whatever that means in Trump's head

Trump hosed around and got his punk card called and backed down. That can’t sit well with such a massive narcissist. He’s got to be burning red hot when he thinks about it.

Trump likes to tweet in the early morning hours and has no impulse control. I can’t wait to see what he spews out at 1am this time after stewing about it all day.

Does he back down from Engoron? Just not mention him at all? Or, does he say something snarky and borderline thinking he has to play the strong man?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Still incredible that nothing pisses him off more than stating he’s worth less than he claims. He could be framed for murder and would still rant more about how a judge valued one of his crappy buildings for a million less than whatever value rests in his brain.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pants Donkey posted:

Still incredible that nothing pisses him off more than stating he’s worth less than he claims. He could be framed for murder and would still rant more about how a judge valued one of his crappy buildings for a million less than whatever value rests in his brain.

His value is built on the brand, and the brand is built on the value. If people stop believing, the bubble pops

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really legal troubles related but this is a scathing iinside look at what a complete scumbag Trump is

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/02/politics/john-kelly-donald-trump-us-service-members-veterans/index.html

Exclusive: John Kelly goes on the record to confirm several disturbing stories about Trump

I'd quote some excerpts but the whole thing is worth a read and pretty short.

Get ready for calls of what lying liar John Kelly is and him to the list of people picking on poor Donald.

Or it's fake news.

Please keep the discussion on Trump legal troubles, as that's what people read the thread for, and there are countless disturbing stories former Trump associates have told about him. They could fill a vast number of posts and they don't matter as much a legal issues, since those have more potential to affect his future (at least in theory...) and the stories don't tend to tell us anything new about what kind of man he is.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Comstar posted:

the ruling in this case is required to be carried out at the same time as the appeals process. no pauses.
also the appeals court has already ruled on some of the aspects and are clearly saying that an appeal won't work. and any higher appeals court isn't going to take up this case.
the only real way to slow this down is to put forth three very unacceptable dismantlers, which trump org might actually do, but that's a short delay as the judge will appoint one.
oddly trump doesn't seem at all concerned about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

InsertPotPun posted:

the ruling in this case is required to be carried out at the same time as the appeals process. no pauses.
also the appeals court has already ruled on some of the aspects and are clearly saying that an appeal won't work. and any higher appeals court isn't going to take up this case.
the only real way to slow this down is to put forth three very unacceptable dismantlers, which trump org might actually do, but that's a short delay as the judge will appoint one.
oddly trump doesn't seem at all concerned about this?

He is incapable of realizing or understanding that the consequences apply to him, will be applied to him, and will actually matter.