Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Now the wheel has turned around!
Jean Valjean is canceled now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

He's Richard Ayoade's brother in law, apparently.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

God drat, I like Richard Ayoade but he's sure got a lot of chuds in his orbit apparently.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Flipperwaldt posted:

He's Richard Ayoade's brother in law, apparently.

Wikipedia posted:

Ayoade and his brother-in-law, actor Laurence Fox, engaged in a public vocal feud in 2020, when Fox asked Ayoade to announce his support for him on Twitter after a controversial appearance on Question Time. The episode in question was condemned for allowing Fox on as a guest, in particular for when he told a black woman in the audience that discussing racism was "boring". According to Fox, Ayoade told him that "You have never encountered racism." Fox stated that he had told Ayoade he had, because "he worked in Kenya once" and "racism can be deferential".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

God drat, I like Richard Ayoade but he's sure got a lot of chuds in his orbit apparently.

i bring bad news

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah sorry, there might just not be any take away from the in lawship per se, I didn't look into it any deeper. It's more like huh, that British acting scene is sure one improbably tightly linked together bunch.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah sorry, there might just not be any take away from the in lawship per se, I didn't look into it any deeper. It's more like huh, that British acting scene is sure one improbably tightly linked together bunch.

No worries, my post was meant to be an addition to yours, not a correction.

Plus, there's no way "I'm not racist, I've been to Kenya before" doesn't fit this thread. :lmao:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Laurence Fox is a member of a highly acclaimed family of British actors, which already gave him an enormous leg-up in the industry.
He was sent to public school, which gave him and enormous leg-up in British society. He failed out of public school because he was very lazy. English public schools do not let their students fail because they are all destined to be the Ruling Class. That he managed to fail at that is very telling.
He seems to have gotten into RADA* largely based on family connections, since he's never done any work better that "alright for TV I suppose"
He was not loud, public rear end in a top hat until his ex-wife Billie Piper (actual talented actor and successful pop singer from her early teens) dumped him.

He's a terrible combo of Divorced Guy / Entitled From Birth rear end in a top hat / Profoundly Mediocre

*I actually know/knew 2 people who got into RADA without family connections and it was incredibly competitive and they are both really loving hardworking and talented actors.

gently caress that lazy prick.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Oct 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you mean private schools or is this another case where British English is at odds with American English?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do you mean private schools or is this another case where British English is at odds with American English?

Yeah expensive private schools are called public schools in ye olde britaine

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Biplane posted:

In England specifically, in Scotland paid-for schools are private schools, state schools are public schools.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

public in the bri'ish context stems from them being open to students regardless of where they live or their religious denomination (provided they have money)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Biplane posted:

:dogstare:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yep, English "public schools" are an extremely small set of extraordinarily exclusive and expensive schools originally set up, many hundreds of years ago to educate ordinary boys, but which were taken over as enclaves for the aristocracy a few hundreds of years ago.
In Britain, a fee-paying private school is likely to be far far cheaper than a public school. There are many non-fee paying schools, but they aren't called public schools.
It makes no sense, but Britain has always loved using terminology that is extremely counter-intuitive.

Eton, the UR public school, if I remember correctly costs about 15,500 pounds per term. There are 3 terms per school year.

E
edit: corrected Eton fees

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Oct 3, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brits call them “public” because they’re not parochial or trade schools.

They accept applications from anyone, but you’re generally not getting if you come from a family that buys furniture.

(The nobles have centuries of antique furniture gathering dust in their manses.)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also the public private schools are child rape factories. England prevails!!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Biplane posted:

Also the public private schools are child rape factories. England prevails!!!

This is literally all I know about British boys' schools:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/jestingtime/status/1709229813268144190

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Platystemon posted:

Brits call them “public” because they’re not parochial or trade schools.

They accept applications from anyone, but you’re generally not getting if you come from a family that buys furniture.

(The nobles have centuries of antique furniture gathering dust in their manses.)

I'm kind of embarrassed as an Irish person to point out a British point of order, but the only person who lives in a manse is a Presbyterian minister, who is likely to be both Scottish, absolutely no fun, and poor.
Wealthy English (and they are nearly all English) people, come from landed estates. These people have country estates with hundreds of acres of farmland, tied villages where they own every drat house, and have a house in London in one of the most expensive streets.

The transition from the 18th to the 20th centuries destroyed the long-term wealth of most of these families because inheritance tax became a thing, and the revenue value of farm land collapsed.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

our collective failchildren

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I want a manse :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

...! posted:

No fun allowed!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

...! posted:

—Conquering Billy’s friends in 1065, probably

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pookah posted:

He was not loud, public rear end in a top hat until his ex-wife Billie Piper (actual talented actor and successful pop singer from her early teens) dumped him.

In a way, they both managed to grab themselves meal tickets for life as long as they can stand the cons full of nerdy virgins, but at least Billie has a decent chance of bumping into a Doctor Who fan who isn’t an incel.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

why is england like this

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Pioldes/status/1709323993847631978

quote:

found out that facebook messenger has ai generated stickers now and I don't think anyone involved has thought anything through

Spoilered because, predictably, it'll mash anything you type. Like "child soldier" or "karl marx large breasts" in the linked tweet. I give this under a week before it gets removed or they censor half the possible words in the English language to avoid the truly hosed up prompts.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Absolute banger new avatar for someone though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

why is england like this

It is a backwards land

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Seize the means indeed :eyepop:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Like most FB features it's not rolled out to everyone yet. I got dark mode like 2 years later than most people -even my partner who had the exact same phone got it a year ahead of me. So I don't think I'll get AI stickers until they've muzzled it enough not to be fun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I've been thinking to stop using the chi-rho for a while now, and here it is.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Coolness Averted posted:

Like most FB features it's not rolled out to everyone yet. I got dark mode like 2 years later than most people -even my partner who had the exact same phone got it a year ahead of me. So I don't think I'll get AI stickers until they've muzzled it enough not to be fun.

More concerning: why are you (or anyone else) using Zuckbook still, and why is the OP still using twaxter

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Weatherman posted:

More concerning: why are you (or anyone else) using Zuckbook still, and why is the OP still using twaxter

\
🤓

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Byzantine posted:

byzantine naturals

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

ROME HAS FALLEN AND THE WOLF TEATS ARE UP FOR GRABS

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Byzantine posted:

You don't even put some text under that AV? Shame.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weatherman posted:

why are you (or anyone else) using Zuckbook still
Everyone I know in real life uses Facebook Messenger as their primary means of communication. Unless I want to basically cut contact with all my friends and family, I have to keep using that. Most of them also use Facebook itself to plan events and share photos, so unless I want to stop being invited to things and miss out on seeing what my friends and family are up to, I have to keep using Facebook. Even if there were a viable alternative (and I'm not sure there is) it wouldn't be possible to switch to it without convincing everyone else to also switch to it, which is probably not possible unless Facebook becomes so unusable that everyone is forced to find an alternative.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Everyone I know in real life uses Facebook Messenger as their primary means of communication
this is baffling to me. how old are you? i’m early 40s and zero of my friends use fb messenger or even facebook for anything other than marketplace. fb has been the boomer site for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Faustian Bargain posted:

this is baffling to me. how old are you? i’m early 40s and zero of my friends use fb messenger or even facebook for anything other than marketplace. fb has been the boomer site for years.

Same except late 40s. Hell, my parents gave Facebook a try but quickly gave it up as pointless, and that was like ten years ago.