Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I think sites like sub-meta are the way forward. Full library, good instruction. Even the good dvds feel cheap in comparison even if the information is good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gordons match was boring. Locked in a Kimura, smiled at the audience "maybe some other time, you want to see whats in the box right?"

Dude is a clown.

Michael Transactions posted:

Like really, $350 for a Gordon Ryan dvd on Armbars? What is the value there?

I have 3 of his DVDs and the only one I found to be super helpful was his one on closed guard. In fact, I highly reccomend it to white and blue belts when the topic comes up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stramit posted:

I think sites like sub-meta are the way forward. Full library, good instruction. Even the good dvds feel cheap in comparison even if the information is good imo.

only negative is submeta is like $25/month

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't believe video instructionals are terribly useful for the majority of players if you want to get better at the grappling game. As a time capsule of what grappling is and was at a certain time period they're amazing and great and I hope no one stops making them. Like go back and watch a early 2000's Erik Paulson or Bas Rutten video. Just great stuff.

edit: Question, whats the oldest video based instructional which isn't just a stuffy guy saying the name of the move, having uke and tori do the move, and then maybe saying like a ten second blurb on it?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 2, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it because it isn't my go-to move, but that sounds right. Like with a lot of turnovers, it's not just a deadlift because uke will help you turn over when it feels like not doing that will hurt them, in this case by wrenching their guts. Not sure at all about the pin, I didn't recognize that.

the pin is just kesa gatame with the far side underhook instead of the scarf hold

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't believe video instructionals are terribly useful for the majority of players if you want to get better at the grappling game. As a time capsule of what grappling is and was at a certain time period they're amazing and great and I hope no one stops making them. Like go back and watch a early 2000's Erik Paulson or Bas Rutten video. Just great stuff.

edit: Question, whats the oldest video based instructional which isn't just a stuffy guy saying the name of the move, having uke and tori do the move, and then maybe saying like a ten second blurb on it?

Stephen Kesting and Chewjitsu would be the first two I encountered where they actually talked about why and when to use a move, usually addressing some overall topic like "how to get out of mount".

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ryan Hall was putting out good quality stuff over 10 years ago, maybe even 15

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

Ryan Hall was putting out good quality stuff over 10 years ago, maybe even 15

Sure but there had to have been someone doing poo poo on vhs in the 80s which wasnt just clown shoes self defense stuff right?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mekchu posted:

only negative is submeta is like $25/month

It's a great value. I probably use it more than anything else right now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Eduardo Telles has instructionals from the early 2000s and they are pretty close to modern stuff in his teaching style I think, but the production and organization of course is not great

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I wonder if the recent ecological dynamics mini trend is going to usher in a wave of instructionals on games and constraint led tasks. Kit Dale just put one out, and I read somewhere that Rob Biernacki has one in the works

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I forget his name, but some self defense guy in the 90s had assistants for mixed sparring and, when it went to the ground, you'd pause for a moment and the assistants stepped in like a pit crew and stripped the boxing gloves off.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I really got mileage out of 50/50 of the arms vagner dvd it was easy and effective moves

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

starkebn posted:

the pin is just kesa gatame with the far side underhook instead of the scarf hold

This?

Yeah huh, I guess it's like a kuzure kesa getame but I've never seen someone go over the arm face down like that before.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I guess that's not kesa, but she's on her way there.

Does it come from judo that everything has to be a position with a name? She's just trying to hold her opponents shoulders to the mat.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

starkebn posted:

I guess that's not kesa, but she's on her way there.

Does it come from judo that everything has to be a position with a name? She's just trying to hold her opponents shoulders to the mat.

There's plenty of non-kodokan techniques, but they're generally considered (sometimes speciously) a variation of an established technique. Kinda like how there's lots of names for crosses and jabs but they're all the same basic idea. Kano just did an incredible job codifying more or less everything you can do within the ruleset.

e: Also, the differences between o-uchi gari (major inside reap), ko-uchi gari (minor inside reap), and o-soto gari (major outside reap), etc. are stark, as there are fundamentally different mechanics to how they all work, so it's easy and sensible to say that something that uses the same mechanics is a variation of that technique.

Sherbert Hoover fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 3, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

but the production and organization of course is not great

We're all agreed that would be a feature and not a bug to see.

I DEMAND 80's style editing choices in grappling videos.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got my first beautiful footsweep today in rolling. Like textbook, pull guy in a circle, guy steps, pull guy in a circle and full send de ashi barai guy goes down, I then felt the full force of centuries of judo flow through me as on the next I hit a beautiful entry into ippon saeoinagi...that was completely stuffed mid way through and had my back taken.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

No idea. Maybe look at old issues of Black Belt. Magazine. Lots of ads for VHD instructionals.

I remember Kenny Florian saying once he and his brother got into BJJ/MMA after watching early UFCs and buying VHSs. No idea what they were though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I know exactly what VHS it was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IO-mo8t74&t=1798s

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 3, 2023

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Count Roland posted:

No idea. Maybe look at old issues of Black Belt. Magazine. Lots of ads for VHD instructionals.

I remember Kenny Florian saying once he and his brother got into BJJ/MMA after watching early UFCs and buying VHSs. No idea what they were though.

Evan Tanner supposedly started watching videos on his garage and copying moves.

Related, because I've been thinking about talent vs effort. Going broader than our dumb gay hobby:

was listening to the nicky rod episode on Craig's pod. They talked about how Craig would be off doing other poo poo, nicky (rod and Ryan) would prep to kick his rear end when he got back, but he'd just sub them anyway. I feel like there's a lot of stories like that with top guys across all activities. Even poo poo like politics. They're just good, and it seems intrinsic.

I wonder if we all collectively give ourselves anxiety issues because we think we can close these gaps but it's just not going to happen. In BJJ but also life. Yes everyone can get better, a lot better. But there's just these outliers out there and life ain't fair.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've resolved to just do a ton of steroids so i can beat you all up someday

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

Evan Tanner supposedly started watching videos on his garage and copying moves.

Related, because I've been thinking about talent vs effort. Going broader than our dumb gay hobby:

was listening to the nicky rod episode on Craig's pod. They talked about how Craig would be off doing other poo poo, nicky (rod and Ryan) would prep to kick his rear end when he got back, but he'd just sub them anyway. I feel like there's a lot of stories like that with top guys across all activities. Even poo poo like politics. They're just good, and it seems intrinsic.

I wonder if we all collectively give ourselves anxiety issues because we think we can close these gaps but it's just not going to happen. In BJJ but also life. Yes everyone can get better, a lot better. But there's just these outliers out there and life ain't fair.

Yeah, it really isn't fair. There's this 10 month white belt that comes to my classes sometimes. He fights like a purple belt. I don't think I've seen anyone progress as quickly, or take to moves so naturally.

And good for him. I have "natural" talents as well, just not in BJJ. To each their own, and try not to get too bothered by it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Luckily there is poo poo you can do to close the gap in grappling with those around you if youre at an average joe gym where there arent people who are trying to make their living.yea youre gonna have to work harder than someone who is naturally a killer, I took two years off covid and the guys who where white belts who are now purple/blues because they didnt started beating me up when I came back. I got in better shape, studied hard, and also took up judo and nature is finally healing.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Comparison is the theft of joy my friends. Keep your eyes on your own paper, you'll be happier for it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

butros posted:

Comparison is the theft of joy my friends. Keep your eyes on your own paper, you'll be happier for it.

Truth. I guess I've always known BJJ/fighting was always going to be a hobby for me. It's internalizing that this poo poo is true everywhere. Taking more of how I feel in BJJ into normal life.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After my first like month of training I got sick, but now I am finally better again and able to resume..

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Defenestrategy posted:

Not me, but please give trip report. I like knowing about gyms in parts of the country I may be sent to.

I made it to an open mat. Gym was clean and people were generally friendly despite my perpetual awkwardness. I think the altitude got to me because I was gassed after two rolls which is abnormal for me. One dude said I wasn't rolling like I was gassed, so that's positive.

I'm not familiar with 10p goings on but everything seemed very structured. A class would be interesting but I don't have the time right now.

The people were competent and definitely better than me in most every aspect but I was able to pass on a couple things I do and got lots of tips and great rolls.

I will definitely go back if I can.

Note that the online registration was kinda wonky and I guess shouldn't have charged me but they handled all that well and we got the prices worked out and everything. If it's somewhere you wanna go, I'd probably email or call first and then show up until they get that registration thing changed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Need throw ideas.

In bjj when we do standup theres one guy who will go left and right lapel grip and have his hips kind of back. I dont have any problem with punishing this behavior by just grabbing the back of his collar and collar dragging him to turtle, but I would like something more stylish to try beyond dragging him to turtle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Defenestrategy posted:

Need throw ideas.

In bjj when we do standup theres one guy who will go left and right lapel grip and have his hips kind of back. I dont have any problem with punishing this behavior by just grabbing the back of his collar and collar dragging him to turtle, but I would like something more stylish to try beyond dragging him to turtle.

flying armbar

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds good for a footsweep?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

Need throw ideas.

When someone's being totally defensive like that, a lot of suggestions are easier said than done. But I like to Georgian grip with my other hand on the opposite lapel and just yank and twist.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Defenestrategy posted:

Need throw ideas.

catapult throw a.k.a. tomoe nage

(here "a.k.a." means "actually known as")

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Couldn't you grab their collar with your left, strip their left with your right, then pull them into a turn throw?

Rapid firing turn throws (and then whatever that sets up) off of this situation is the number one thing I'm trying to do to be more aggressive against my BJJ professor, btw.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Grace Baiting posted:

catapult throw a.k.a. tomoe nage

(here "a.k.a." means "actually known as")

Better yet, combine it with the flying armbar suggestion above for a helicopter armbar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

up slicing o guruma. It works so well against that posture that last night in no-throw sparring that I took someone over with basically just the entry.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thabks for suggestions all.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

When someone's being totally defensive like that, a lot of suggestions are easier said than done. But I like to Georgian grip with my other hand on the opposite lapel and just yank and twist.

Is this that sacrifice throw that people call a katagaruma even though it looks like youre just spiking them into the ground?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

Thabks for suggestions all.

Is this that sacrifice throw that people call a katagaruma even though it looks like youre just spiking them into the ground?

No, as far as I know every kata guruma variant includes putting your head under their arm

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

No, as far as I know every kata guruma variant includes putting your head under their arm

Yea, I can't find it, but there's one absolutely gently caress you of a move I saw a guy demo in class once where you have a Georgian grip and I believe the same side lapel grip, you step over to a T position with that and you do what I can only say is the most prowrestling move I've ever seen where your spin forward and roll your opponent to their back with impact, called it a katagaruma and if you squint I could see it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Am I the only one that finds both Gordon Ryan AND Craig Jones insufferable? Seems to be, people fall into one of two camps.