Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Taps posted:

Sir! This memo on additional logistical resources has just arrived:

(What does this mean? Air Goons isn't only military flight simulation. There are a lot of us who also fly civilian simulators as well, and some of us who almost only participate in civilian simulation and flight. We welcome all sorts of airplane nerds. Often there is not much "gamefication" of civilian simming outside of some economy sims. Now that we have identified a number of real life logisitcal air assets based on civilian aircraft that only exist in Xplane and MSFS, our civilian pilots can be tasked with anything from a long haul transport of troops from an ally country to a rear base, maritime recon missions, or frontline base deliveries under SAM threat.

The commanders should decide what there is a need for and charter flights according to the listed capabilities. Please consider this an open invitation to engage with our civiilian simmers!)

This is such a good idea! It sounds like we have a little bit of time to generate flight charter ideas before the next round of decision-making. I can think of a couple important logistical missions to start focusing on. First off, the NAeL Minas Gerais in Puerto San Julian needs significant resupply, and would certainly benefit from a major cargo charter carrying necessary war material and passengers. This would likely be a good role for a Boeing 737 or an Airbus 320, though the particulars of the cargo manifest and airport would need to be figured out. Secondly, while the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo and the Chilean fleet are currently well-supplied, they are sailing in the Reserva Nacional Alacalufes and far from any port. Their support fleet will be stretched thin trying to keep them armed and fueled, and active combat operations will quickly make them in need of regular aerial resupply. These missions will involve smaller planes such as the BAE 146, and short, isolated air strips in and around the national park. Figuring out the logistics for these operations will be critical for sustaining the naval combat aviation efforts.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taps
Aug 14, 2009
For the 737, A320 and BAEs, their operating hubs ICAO are listed next to the operating carriers, and charters would originate from there.
737 and A320 operators need to keep their planes coming back to the home hub at the end of the day, while BAEs can be chartered for longer stays in country away from their home hubs.

Taps
Aug 14, 2009
Additionally, almost all those military units listed are available in MSFS and XPlane. I know we have some folks itching to fly the King Air, which Argentina uses for maritime patrols. That would assist in the ASW.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For DCS gameplay purposes on gameday itself:

Start learning major landmarks, such as the Strait of Magellan.

You can access the F10 map, but it will not show anything. Not even your own plane. You can expect to have various TACAN beacons Aero's C-17 flight brought from Australia at the airports, and you can get some extra mobile TACANs placed if needed at various spots.

You will navigate with what the plane offers. In the case of a carrier, you can use a outward radial from the carrier's TACAN to find your target, for example.

Labels will be side-neutral dot labels.

TACAN:

A tactical air navigation system, commonly referred to by the acronym TACAN, is a navigation system used by military aircraft. It provides the user with bearing and distance to a ground or ship-borne station.

On maps:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 3, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

7500' runways would provide some interesting logistical options for player-flown charter flights with bigger aircraft (if they come into play):

Green (top circle) is "General Enrique Mosconi International Airport" (SAVC), which could also be a good place to offload supplies for allied ships in the Atlantic.

Yellow/orange (left most circle) is El Calafate (SAWC), closer to the fight, but still fairly safe considering the distance. A long convoy run though, juicy targets for the PLAAF and PLAN.

Red (bottom circle) is Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG), which I suppose would run the DCS risk of fighter/navy ship interdiction and maybe SAM attack, but being only 60 miles/95km from Tierra Del Fuego, it would mean getting troops and materiel right to the fight.

All highly theoretical of course. Who would be crazy enough to fly supplies into any part of this war zone? Think of the aviation insurance premiums!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

General of the Armies

Logistics and Supply

Brigadier General Humberto, EA here, we have some decisions to make in terms of keeping our brave soldiers on the front fed and flush with ammunition. I propose using the junction of HWY 255 and HWY 257 as the site for our main supply base at the divisional level for the Front, satellite footage indicates pre-existing civilian material laydowns and adequate areas for supply yards at this location. We will utilize the Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG) in Rio Gallagos as the primary airport to bring in supplies, and utilize civilian and military ground transport to shuttle materiel to the Supply Base provisionally dubbed "Bag of Holding". We will utilize the dirt aerodrome SCTH Tres Chorillos(https://metar-taf.com/airport/SCTH-tres-chorrillos-airport#runways) for rotary wing logistics support towards our Western flank, and I ask our aviation experts to evaluate the possibility of using C-130's out of this aerodrome if runway conditions and length allows. The paved roads between Rio Gallagos and Punta Arenas allow for travel at highway speeds, and the positioning at the highway junction allows limited supplies such as food and ammunition to be ferried across the Strait using any civilian ferry's still available. E: We will also task rotary wing flights to deliver supplies from SB "Bag of Holding" to Franco Bianco.

I present the proposed plan, and recent satellite footage of the proposed location for Supply Base "Bag of Holding"

Feedback

Time is short, we have less than a day to settle on a plan for the logistics for ground operations in the near term. If anyone has any feedback or wants to illuminate any opportunities missed or blindspots ignored, :justpost:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 3, 2023

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

We've extracted the images in full resolution.

I took these pics to my new IT friend; the one who helped me get those photos off of my phone yesterday? Anyway he did some CSI stuff to them and now we can make them out a bit better.

ENHANCE

That looks like an Early Warning Radar behind that warehouse there.

Not sure the significance of these boats. Maybe some of the naval intelligence people can find these useful?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
NGL I'd love to try being the worlds most undertrained Supreme Commander - or an ABM; but I run on Australian time with a full time job, a few weekends of busy (booze events) weekends in October and also kinda do emergency response work as we come into cyclone/flood/fire season.

What sort of time commitments and education is required to sit at a desk and point at maps for smarter goons than I to fly planes?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

NGL I'd love to try being the worlds most undertrained Supreme Commander - or an ABM; but I run on Australian time with a full time job, a few weekends of busy (booze events) weekends in October and also kinda do emergency response work as we come into cyclone/flood/fire season.

What sort of time commitments and education is required to sit at a desk and point at maps for smarter goons than I to fly planes?

Supreme Commander is already taken, but much like most career moves, you aim at the stars and you'll miss, so you just landed at the parking lot.

Welcome aboard, General Daniela Figueroa Scholz. You're a Chilean Air Force Officer, selected to lead the Air Combat Command of the Council of South American Defence.

This unified Air Combat Command is responsible for all combat aviation operations south of the 35th Parallel. You thus command the Peruvian, Chilean, Argentine, Ecuadorian, and Brazilian combat aircraft in this theater. This means that when Negostrike plans the general priorities and AO to operate in, you will then decide what and how to use the Air Force planes at your disposal.

You'll have to fight for resources with the navy and army, to which I say: good luck.

Now get to work.

You report to the current Supreme Commander, Negostrike.

Negostrike posted:

Supremo Comandante SCAD
General del Aire Carlos - Fuerza Aerea de Peru

Your counterparts in the land and sea are,

Kaal:

Kaal posted:

This is Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio, Argentina's first female admiral and the supreme commander of South American Combined Armada that comprises of the Chilean, Argentinian, and Brazilian Navies. Time is short, so I'll be brief.

And Mederlock:

Mederlock posted:

General of the Armies
Brigadier General Humberto of Argentine Army, Ejército Argentino

In addition, as you are the commander of the Air Combat Command, there is a separate commander for the Air logistics and mobility.

Air Mobility Officer Taps/KingCrab:

Taps posted:

Sir! This memo on additional logistical resources has just arrived:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Buenos días señores y señoras, this is ARA Admiral Sampaio:

In coordination with civil air services, the South American Combined Armada is authorizing logistical charter flights in support of naval aviation groups operating away from the restricted air space of the combat areas. The initial air operation will be focused on rearming the Brazilian NAeL Minas Gerais aircraft carrier and associated fleet, due to arrive at Puerto San Julian for immediate resupply. The charter is scheduled for 15 FEB 10 but there may be delays due to adverse weather.

Colombian authorities on the other side of the continent have been struggling to find ways of supporting their brethren who are being attacked far to the south, and this sort of material support is a perfect opportunity for them to get involved. They have assembled approximately 11,000 kg of mixed munitions and equipment, as well as a small Colombian Marine company, who are prepared for transport south out of El Dorado International Airport (SKBO) near Bogotá, Colombia. An Airbus 320 aircraft sub-chartered from Avianca SA airlines will be tasked with ferrying those passengers and cargo 5,000 km (2,700 nmi) to Commandant Espora Airport (SAZB) near Bahía Blanca. There the aircraft will refuel and take on an additional critical cargo as well as replacement sailors and air crew who are staging at the nearby Puerto Belgrano Naval Base, HQ of Argentinian Naval Aviation. These airports are both fairly large with 3,800 m (12,467 ft) and 2,616 m (8,583 ft) runways available respectively, and remain fully operational.

The second leg will be to fly 1,250 km (650 nmi) to Capitán José Daniel Vazquez Airport (SAWJ), also known as Puerto San Julián Airport or San Julián Airport. It is an airport serving Puerto San Julián, a town on San Julian Bay in the Santa Cruz Province of Argentina. The airport is 4 kilometres (2 mi) west of the town. During the 1982 Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas/Guerra del Atlántico Sur), as San Julian is one of the nearest point to the islands, the city airfield was used by the Argentine Air Force. Two fighter squadrons, flying Daggers and A-4 Skyhawks, made 149 sorties against the British in the 45 days of operations. But enough of a history lesson: The concrete runway is 2,000 meters (6,562 ft), which should support A320 landing and take-off. There is a steep ravine on the south side of the west end of the runway. Runway 07 has an unusual narrow extension prior to the marked threshold, with a turnaround at the end. If used for takeoff, the runway length available would be extended to 2,400 metres (7,900 ft). This extension might hypothetically support 737 and 747 flight operations if required, but this would require further review. The San Julian VOR-DME (Ident: SJU) is located on the field.

After off-loading all passengers and material, the A320 will then refuel and return to El Dorado International Airport (SKBO), which at 6,000 km (3240 nmi) is right at the edge of the aircraft's range. Be aware that there is a contingent of civilian passengers at Puerto San Julian airport who are fleeing the conflict area and are requesting air transport to Bogota, Colombia. Allowing them to board will complicate the return mission. SACA will not take responsibility for refugees and leaves such matters in the hands of the civil air authorities, the Avianca SA corporation, and ultimately the pilots themselves.

I encourage any pilot willing to undertake this charter to contact Avianca SA, in coordination with Air Mobility Officer Lt. Patricio Crab, and file a flight report once the charter is completed.

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Logistics and Supply

Brigadier General Humberto, EA here, we have some decisions to make in terms of keeping our brave soldiers on the front fed and flush with ammunition. I propose using the junction of HWY 255 and HWY 257 as the site for our main supply base at the divisional level for the Front, satellite footage indicates pre-existing civilian material laydowns and adequate areas for supply yards at this location. We will utilize the Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG) in Rio Gallagos as the primary airport to bring in supplies, and utilize civilian and military ground transport to shuttle materiel to the Supply Base provisionally dubbed "Bag of Holding". We will utilize the dirt aerodrome SCTH Tres Chorillos(https://metar-taf.com/airport/SCTH-tres-chorrillos-airport#runways) for rotary wing logistics support towards our Western flank, and I ask our aviation experts to evaluate the possibility of using C-130's out of this aerodrome if runway conditions and length allows. The paved roads between Rio Gallagos and Punta Arenas allow for travel at highway speeds, and the positioning at the highway junction allows limited supplies such as food and ammunition to be ferried across the Strait using any civilian ferry's still available. E: We will also task rotary wing flights to deliver supplies from SB "Bag of Holding" to Franco Bianco.

I present the proposed plan, and recent satellite footage of the proposed location for Supply Base "Bag of Holding"

Feedback

Time is short, we have less than a day to settle on a plan for the logistics for ground operations in the near term. If anyone has any feedback or wants to illuminate any opportunities missed or blindspots ignored, :justpost:

The plan looks solid to me. The proposed supply base "Bolsa de Tenencia" is approximately 62 km (40 mi) from Rio Gallegos via a paved two lane highway (HWY 3), and the international airport there has the largest runway in the country - as long as we can keep it open. There's also a major port. I can anchor the Argentinian surface fleet off the coast there to provide a degree of naval protection. Flying C-130s in and out of Tres Chorillos (SCTH) would be tricky - the runway is grass and only 785 m (2,575 ft), which is less than the minimum length restriction; you'd need a light cargo and a hotshot pilot to attempt it, so it would likely be better to rely on the airport in Rio Gallegos for C-130s and other medium fixed wing aircraft.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Supremo Comandante SCAD

Welcome to the fight, General Gridlock/Scholz. You don't have to be crazy to work here but it helps. Haha just kidding *slaps your back*. Or am I. Feel free to ask any questions and give any suggestions about the air missions from my last post:

quote:

We should have CAS from Peruvian Su-25s to deal with ground targets (also that SAM) and MIG-29s and F-5s patrolling the region to deal with possible hostile aircraft. I'd like to preserve the F-16s for now but I'm all ears for suggestions.

I believe using C-130s for retreat evac would be too risky. Will depend on how hot it'd be if poo poo goes north and for us to retreat I'd imagine pretty hot. Let's fight with big cojones, ok.

What's the weather forecast for the morning of the 15th?

General Humberto's plan for logistics sounds good to me. At least for now it has my approval, though landing a Hercules in that airstrip will suck. I also appreciate the admiral's efforts to get us supplies from Colombia.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 3, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Here's some info on the SAG's operating in our area.

2nd PLAN Fleet

Type 052 Destroyer

The Type 052 is the only one of the vessels in this group with a capable air radar. The Type 037 has no aerial radar while the Tarantul has a very basic short range radar. Beyond the radar is a decently capable medium range SAM system, the HQ-7. This is a copy of the French Crotale and could prove challenging. It carries the potent YJ-83 anti ship missile with a ~100 nm range. It has facilities for rotary assets as well, and would normally carry ASW birds, but could carry a KA-31 Helix with Airborne Early Warning. This could be unlikely depending on how many are serving with the PLAN carriers. If they do have a Helix it would give them a 130nm radius of radar coverage.

Type 037 Corvette

The Type 037 is 100% a littoral patrol boat and a raider. It has a surface radar with a 20nm range (naval only) as well as an active only sonar. Pair this with rudimentary ASW rockets and you have a very poor sub chaser. Beyond that is some 37mm autocannons. That's it. This thing, if in a fjord, will wreck anything near it. But it is very vulnerable to aircraft. The only air defense it has is a 14.5mm machine gun.

Tarantul

One of the most popular non-NATO anti ship vessels. Depending on which variant this is could offer a wide variety of weaponry. It has a very rudimentary air radar with ~20nm range but a very good surface radar with a 100nm range. SS-N-22 Sunburn anti-ship missiles provide the punch with a 70 nm range with 300kg of high explosive. This ship is a very capable hunter and just a few could lock down Drake Passage. Now they are 100% not designed for the roaring 50's and would be more at home in the Med or Baltic.

While not a terribly capable group, they are a definite screen for the Passage. Once the Winter storms strike these ships may have to get much closer to land to avoid the terrible gales.

1st PLAN Fleet

2 - Type 052 (See Above)
8 - Type - 037 (See Above)
4 - FF ??? (Unable to provide info as China has a lot of Frigate flavors

1 - DDG 136 Hangzhou

A very capable destroyer that is a very dangerous beast. It has a long range anti air radar and is protected by the naval version of the Grizzly with a 40nm anti-air range. The radar range of this vessel allows them to cover from Tierra del Fuego to Malvinas. It also has the YJ-12 supersonic anti ship missile with a 190nm range.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Logistics and Supply

General of the Combined Armies, SCAD

Buenas tardes camaradas, after deliberation with my peers in command and our command staff, I have decided to proceed with the orders to establish our logistics base and supply routes as per my last report. The viability for SCTH Tres Chorillos to host C-130's has been deemed insufficient, but it will still serve as an important forward base for our rotary wing aircraft, smaller supply and patrol aircraft such as the AN-2, and emergency aerial cargo drops by C-130's to support the Western axis

Requisitions for specialized munitions
I'm having my aide de camp and staff evaluate options to source lightweight SHORAD such as Igla and Stinger MANPADS and ATGM systems such as the TOW missile system on an expedited basis from our allies in the SCAD. It would be ideal if we could get our first shipment of these systems landing in Rio Gallagos and out to Supply Base "Bolsa de Tenencia" before Operation Rabbit Bravo to be dispersed among our Brigades at the front, but given the timelines and pilots available, we may have to accept delays and fight without any GBAD. I've also sent some requests to our American partners at USSOUTHCOM to evaluate expediting approval, shipment, and training of Chilean Regiments on the Avenger SHORAD system borne by Humvees, given the Chilean government's sage foresight in requesting these systems a few months ago. [Off the Record: given the lack of direct support from our partners to the North so far, I'm not pinning too much faith on these coming through anytime soon. While I think those systems would serve US interests better defending their southern flank, the US government may deem them better kept for some National Guard unit in Iowa or something.]

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

Brigadier General Humberto, EA

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

General of the Armies

Logistics and Supply

Feedback

Time is now up, this supply plan is executed.

Any sudden chance will adversely affect supply situation from now on.

Today is still the 12th of Feb, expect this supply depot to start receiving vehicles and cargo around 13th or 14th February, but it's a slow burn. Will be marked on google maps.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Professor Bear here…

Ahem, so as we all know South America is big, and our fuel tanks and bladder capacities are comparably small. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that every pilot be familiar with how to use their navigation systems.

We may not always have the luxury of an INS waypoint placed exactly where we need to go. Therefore, I have prepared a series of lessons on navigating using either a TACAN or an fix that will make sure you can get from where you are, to where you aren’t.

https://www.airgoons.com/w/Lessons

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Repositioned a King Air maritime patrol aircraft to Norberto Fernandez to support operations here. Flew from SAAI to SAWG without incident.

Leaving home base at Punta Indio.

Skies getting a little dark

Dropped down under 20,000 to get below the clouds and drop some practice sonobuoys. Helps to keep skills sharp.

The rest of the trip was fairly clear and easy, almost makes you forget there's a war on.

Banking to line up for SAWG runway.

Home away from home for the forseeable future.

Ready for tasking.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren:CEASE PROBLEMSOLVING:frogsiren:

Brigadier General Humberto,

Your logistics base is being set up. Your forces are in their positions as you wanted them. The Brazilian Astros launchers are on the way.

General del Aire Carlos.

Your overall AO is set, you've decided your priorities, and you facilitated weapon transfer. Nothing further for you.

Admiral Sampaio,

You've sent your subs, moved your fleets, and planned maritime surveillance flights. That's all you can do for now.

For you three, the 12th of Feb is now over. You go to bed. Don't post plans, make decisions, or prod for movement until I declare that 13th February rises. You can chit chat about the game or lore or whatever.

For the Air Combat Command Commander, General Schulz,

You haven't even made it to work so you can burn the midnight oil and post about your tentative plans for the AO.

Air Mobility Officer Taps,
Same for you. Seems like you haven't locked down all your plans, so you are not going to bed.

For those reading the thread, I'd love to hear any observer points or ideas or even questions. I'll be happy to answer any airplane or tactical or strategic questions, as are the others, I'm sure.

Out of Character: I'm doing the above to make sure they won't burn out their interest in the game too soon, and to also allow the people in the shadows to correlate lore, make events and maps, and work on the DCS mission for gameday. There's still 11 days until gameday, so we have plenty of time.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 3, 2023

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Shanghaied for asking questions, that's the gusto I like to see.

I am posting this from my phone as I panic and run off to work. My alternate game self shall review documents and post the late opinion when I get home. Sorry for my topsy turvy time frames.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Attn : Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio

As the resident CMO Nerd, this is a brief on the capabilities of your forces. I have modelled two of the three Chinese surface groups using best intel.

In a nutshell, you vastly outnumber the Chinese forces with obsolete and extremely vulnerable ships. Your fleets are more geared with projecting power against neighboring countries than projecting it against a superpower.

The first thing to note is the large red ring around the Chinese fleets. This is the maximum range of the YJ-83 Anti Ship Missile. Just the 1st PLAN Fleet can launch 64 of these in a mass salvo. We have no comparable weapon with that much range, nor do we have enough SAM's capable of interdicting that wall of SSM's. Even worse, there are zero CIWS (C-Whizz) systems to do terminal interception. (think the Minion looking gatling gun on US Navy Ships). Without effective air interdiction the Chinese fleet can stroll up to 99nm, launch a mass barrage of SSM's, and simply walk away without our fleets ever firing a shot.

This is a view from the Chinese 1st Fleet as it intercepts the Argentine detachment. A Ka-31 has identified the fleet and the Chinese go in for a solution. The Argentine Fleet only gets an AEW ELINT return from the KA-31 and is unaware of the position of the Chinese Fleet, even while it is emitting.

Vampires! The fleet goes defensive. Some ships fire up jammers, and the Almirante Brown Class responds with Aspides.

At the conclusion every single Argentine ship is sunk except for 3 patrol boats. The Argentine Fleet never had an opportunity to respond, nor did it know the location the Chinese Fleet. The Chinese Fleet could pull back to the Malvinas, reload, and do this again to the Brazilian fleet.

The only way the Argentine Fleet could have survived was to work hand in hand with the Air Force. Now if the AEW was up, and a flight of F-16's and A-4's was aloft, then the KA-31 can't operate outside of SAM cover, nor can the Chinese sneak up. If they do go in for a strike then the combined Air Forces can punish them outside of there own air cover. For the moment your fleets are threatening just by existing and force the Chinese to consider them a threat. Sally forth with caution.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yooper posted:

I have modelled two of the three Chinese surface groups using best intel.

Speaking of which, what's the origin of our information on enemy movements? Are we entirely dependent upon recon missions by our own forces (radar/visual/sonar/etc.) for this, or are our allies to the north providing us with spy satellite intel?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

This naval intel brief is amazing and I look forward to responding to it in more detail once I’ve had my duly required nap. Thank you for doing this!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Yooper posted:

Navy stuff

Look, there's a reason no one was inspired by the "wait for the Navy to save us" option...

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Steak posted:

I took these pics to my new IT friend; the one who helped me get those photos off of my phone yesterday? Anyway he did some CSI stuff to them and now we can make them out a bit better.

ENHANCE

That looks like an Early Warning Radar behind that warehouse there.

CLAM SHELL Low Altitude Acquisition Radar, associated with the SA-10 missile complex. Means there's an SA-10 (or possibly SA-20) in the area.
https://www.ausairpower.net/clamshell.html

The civilian structures, and the amount of land and small islands visible in all the pictures, suggests the location of the first photograph is the town of Goose Green.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Now let's focus on something else. As you all know, the seas at the Malvinas can be especially cruel and demanding. As Port Stanley has a limited capacity of accepting ships, the PLAN has had issues with the large number of ships, including their civilian merchant fleet used for this sea lift. Just like for the past centuries, ships seek shelter at Choiseul Sound, between Isla Soledad (Main part of East Falklands/Malvinas) and the southern, mainly uninhabited Lafonia. These are conneted by a narrow isthmus known as Goose Green that also has a small settlement on it. To the east of Goose Green, are various natural bays and coves that offer safe anchoring for the large number of ships. This place also has Type 052 destroyers there.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

While I don't have images of what those looked like in 2010; there's no structures on those islands from what I can see.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No. I mean you’re right about the location, too. Ships move about the sound, I posted that just as a reminder.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Negostrike posted:

Supremo Comandante SCAD

Welcome to the fight, General Gridlock/Scholz. You don't have to be crazy to work here but it helps. Haha just kidding *slaps your back*. Or am I. Feel free to ask any questions and give any suggestions about the air missions from my last post:

General Humberto's plan for logistics sounds good to me. At least for now it has my approval, though landing a Hercules in that airstrip will suck. I also appreciate the admiral's efforts to get us supplies from Colombia.

Combined Air Combat Command - SCAD
General de aviación Daniela Figueroa Scholz

Ok people I'm burning the midnight oil, as it were, having only being promoted into this posting about 12 hours ago while the mierda was hitting the proverbial.

Having reviewed what we have so far I see no major reason to deviate from the proposal set out by the Supremo Comandante at this preliminary stage. I hope you all trust that by the time we are on go day I will be up to speed.

Just to reiterate Brigadier General Humberto's plan may require CAS to be dispatched in form of 2 Chevy Su-25T's tasked out of their current parking spot of Puerto Natales Airbase. I believe this should be sufficient of the task at hand (I hope). Further to this plan I agree to flying combat patrols of Colt and Uzi our of their present homes as required to cover any attempt by PLAFF to cripple our air power early. Personally I'd like to look at options sooner rather than later regarding the deployment of support for the Navy as I am very worried about that scenario posed of what happens if they DON'T get that F-16 coverage.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Cool navy stuff

Even if we are able to shoot down the scout helos is our navy even capable of getting the jump on the PLAN? What are our radar ranges and such like vs the PLAN's? And if we are able to get the jump on them what can our navy actually do? As you've said we have basically no defense against their YJ-83.

Not trying to bring defeatism to the navy, but it looks like a very real threat that we should start theory crafting ways to survive any engagement

What are the limitations of the YJ-83? Does it need direct line of sight to target? Would hiding our boats in the fjords be a good defense to the surface to surface missiles? And what kinds of air to surface capabilities do we have at the moment? Could aircraft intercept a YJ-83?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Steak posted:

Even if we are able to shoot down the scout helos is our navy even capable of getting the jump on the PLAN? What are our radar ranges and such like vs the PLAN's? And if we are able to get the jump on them what can our navy actually do? As you've said we have basically no defense against their YJ-83.

Not trying to bring defeatism to the navy, but it looks like a very real threat that we should start theory crafting ways to survive any engagement

What are the limitations of the YJ-83? Does it need direct line of sight to target? Would hiding our boats in the fjords be a good defense to the surface to surface missiles? And what kinds of air to surface capabilities do we have at the moment? Could aircraft intercept a YJ-83?

It comes down to detection. They need to stray close enough to our air units to get a targeting solution for the YJ-83's. We can sortie quicker than they can run. Which means we could punish those DDG's and it's no sure shot they could sink any of our ships if we intercept them. Just by them being present keeps us near the coast, but by us being by the coast it prevents them from being somewhere else. So as I see it, for the time being, just existing as a fleet is a powerful deterrent for both sides.

Down near Tierra del Fuego is the best area to hunt ships as they need to get in close to 1) resupply and 2) provide combat support. So now we can strike the ships without risking our own fleet. As a double bonus it could, if they take enough losses, require ships from the other fleets to move down to support them. While a huge naval battle would be sweet, I think this will be a long term attrition where sinking one or two ships could turn the balance in our favor.

I don't think YJ-83 interception is possible, they would be extraordinarily difficult to detect and intercept.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Steak posted:

Professor Bear:

Standard naval doctrine says our best strategy here is to disperse the fleet, and avoid a decisive engagement with the PLAN. As Admiral Yooper’s simulation has shown, the combined strength of our entire fleet is insufficient to defend against a PLAN attack. By dispersing, we increase the chance of survival, and force the PLAN to commit significant naval resources to defending against our Fleet in Being. Every liter of fuel or bowl of rice going to their Navy is one less for their ground and air forces. If the Chinese admiral keeps their fleet intact, their chances of finding our ships, and forcing a decisive engagement, are next to zero. On the other hand, if they make the mistake of splitting apart to widen the search area, it would give our ships the opportunity to attain a temporary local superiority and ambush a weaker element of the PLAN.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The video below gives a good idea of how the Strait of Magellan is large and has room for large ships, but it would still be a pretty fraught transit if you coudln't be sure there weren't missile or even direct fire or coastal artillery positions along the route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdUn4-s87g

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Professor Bear:

On the other hand, if they make the mistake of splitting apart to widen the search area, it would give our ships the opportunity to attain a temporary local superiority and ambush a weaker element of the PLAN.

:sickos:

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
The more dispersed the Chinese Navy becomes, the easier it gets for any American or British submarine to start picking off stragglers.

Any information about Chinese ship positions that can be passed along will also help.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Aight, wakey wakey.
----
It's the morning of 13th February, at 0830. This will now start a new day and you can give a new round of orders. This day of 13th will probably run until friday or so. We'll do the 14th over the weekend, and monday starts the super early morning of 15th, the day of the operation that will be then played on saturday the 14th October, so we have the whole week to hash out the air operation itself in real time.

-------

New developments for each person:

Supreme Commander CSAD:

You have a choice to make. An Army National Guard unit in California has been authorized to give several air defence units to you. You are to make a choice.

Choice Alpha:
Receive Six (6) M163 PIVADS self-propelled anti air units

Choice Bravo:
Receive two (2) AN/TWQ-1 Avenger units.

Both choices will come with seven 5-ton trucks full of resupply ammunition and spare parts. They are located at an Army National Guard Armory in Monterrey, California. They will be available for transfer and for loading up 24 hours after your decision.

-----------------------------------------

Commander of the SACA, Admiral Sampaio

Your P-3 patrol has detected several contacts. These are marked on the google map.

First contact:

Possible oil tanker, unknown origin.
Detected at: 52° 2.011'S, 78° 14.630'W, course north-west

Second contact:

Possible fishing ship
55° 22.724'S, 75° 4.611'W

Third contact:
Frigate, unknown origin or class, course 330
55° 49.332'S 73° 3.569'W

Fourth contact:
Group of contacts at
53° 41.320'S, 72° 8.093'

Some sort of parked ships, no movement. No emissions of radar or other ELINT.

--------------------------------------------

Combined Air Combat Command - SCAD
General de aviación Daniela Figueroa Scholz

Your P-3 patrol from FAB that was assigned before you got this job detected a periscope at:
51° 36.553'S, 65° 57.218'W

This picture was taken as the P-3 swooped in close and got this photo.

It dove right after.

---------
General of the Armies Humberto, EA

Enemy J-7s bombed your troops with no success along highway 257 near the FLOT early morning.
In addition there are several Mi-8 gunships flying around the front now.

All above marked on map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1RHYRehltgtfH02o6Yn9JgBmaHt2XqZs&ll=-52.6829435645439%2C-71.09150419482243&z=6

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 4, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of which, what's the origin of our information on enemy movements? Are we entirely dependent upon recon missions by our own forces (radar/visual/sonar/etc.) for this, or are our allies to the north providing us with spy satellite intel?

There's Five Eyes intel and our own. But no straight feed from the US currently.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

This picture was taken as the P-3 swooped in close and got this photo.

I'm on it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tell the guard to get bent, Chile has an entire battalion’s worth of Avengers already or at least on order, and California guard has none. This is a scam or info op or phishing scam.

https://www.dsca.mil/press-media/major-arms-sales/chile-avenger-fire-unitsstinger-missiles

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Aight, wakey wakey.
----
It's the morning of 13th February, at 0830. This will now start a new day and you can give a new round of orders. This day of 13th will probably run until friday or so. We'll do the 14th over the weekend, and monday starts the super early morning of 15th, the day of the operation that will be then played on saturday the 14th October, so we have the whole week to hash out the air operation itself in real time.

---------
General of the Armies Humberto, EA

Enemy J-7s bombed your troops with no success along highway 257 near the FLOT early morning.
In addition there are several Mi-8 gunships flying around the front now.

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

Local Air Defense

Buen dia amigos, you brave souls on the front are doing well to hold the line under the spectre of enemy attack from the air. I regretfully inform you all that we do not have additional GBAD units to spare at present, but you must trust that we are taking every measure to expedite their transfer to the front! In better news, our friends to the North plan on sending us some AA systems soon, but for now all we can do is hold the line and optimally place your organic SHORAD units to blunt the PLAAF's most brazen strikes. We'll put each limited system you have available in the locations best suited to them. Please refer to the following map for the suggested locations, but Grl de Brigada Lago[IRL commander of this unit at this time], I leave the rest to you.

e: ADDENDUM : I forgot to mention the taskings for our remaining Chilean Chaparral's on the front. We'll have the 3 we have left reposition to SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" and take up defensive positions there.

Theatre level SAM Battery decisions

El Supremo Comandante Carlos Negostrike, I have been deliberating with my command staff, and we have 3 proposals for the placement of our available SAM batteries. While I have my opinion on what course of action is best, I leave the final decision in your capable hands. The larger ring indicates the maximum (optimistic) radar detection range, and the smaller ring indicates 25km, the likely maximum (and probably optimistic) horizontal range of the missiles themselves.

The first option, dubbed Castor Juguetón, positions our SAM batteries close to the FLOT [Front Line Of Troops] , and provides good radar coverage over the Strait. This positioning also provides SAM coverage for SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" and a potential rotary wing FARP location at SCTH Tres Chorrillos. This option covers our front logistics and forward troops best, but leaves gaping holes in our AA coverage at SAWG AB in Rio Gallagos. Losing the airbase there to a PLAAF airstrike would be ruinous for our capacity to wage war on the front, and thus I do not recommend this option.

The second proposal we have for you this morning is Felino Equilibrado, which positions the NASAMS battery near Rio Gallagos on Cerro Redondo, a prominent hill close to the town, and has the NASAMS battery on the Puerto Natales side of the theatre advance to the ridgelines north of the Punta Arenas isthmus. This layout balances the protection of Rio Gallagos's port and airbase, while still providing some radar coverage over the Strait and provides SAM protection for our troops holding the Punta Arenas line and SCTH Tres Chorrillos. While it leaves SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" vulnerable for now, we can task some of our future SAM systems such as the Avengers or M-163's to protect it once they land in theatre from the USA. This is the positioning I recommend we adopt.

The last option, Caparazón de Tortuga, has us keep the Rio Gallagos battery on Cerro Redondo, and pulls the battery to the west back to cover the airbases Puerto Natales and Rio Turbio directly. This option ensures the PLAAF's won't be able to make an unopposed strike at either of our primary airbases, but leaves our brave women and men holding the front completely unprotected. While I'm sure the ground crews at Puerto Natales would appreciate the cover, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze with this choice and recommend against it.

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yooper posted:

Attn : Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio

As the resident CMO Nerd, this is a brief on the capabilities of your forces. I have modelled two of the three Chinese surface groups using best intel.

In a nutshell, you vastly outnumber the Chinese forces with obsolete and extremely vulnerable ships. Your fleets are more geared with projecting power against neighboring countries than projecting it against a superpower.

The first thing to note is the large red ring around the Chinese fleets. This is the maximum range of the YJ-83 Anti Ship Missile. Just the 1st PLAN Fleet can launch 64 of these in a mass salvo. We have no comparable weapon with that much range, nor do we have enough SAM's capable of interdicting that wall of SSM's. Even worse, there are zero CIWS (C-Whizz) systems to do terminal interception. (think the Minion looking gatling gun on US Navy Ships). Without effective air interdiction the Chinese fleet can stroll up to 99nm, launch a mass barrage of SSM's, and simply walk away without our fleets ever firing a shot.

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Thank you once again for your diligence in generating this tactical estimate. Given our dire situation, SACA will be heavily dependent on clear and cogent analysis. It is clear that a direct surface warfare attack on any of the three PLAN naval groups is out of the question - even if our armada was capable of surviving the exchange, it seems unlikely that our alliance would survive the casualties. It is my belief that maintaining a fleet in being to ward off an overwhelming Chinese offensive, while leveraging our air power assets to relieve our ground forces and throw back the enemy, represents the best strategy for victory.

With that objective, I intend for our combined armada to pursue the following tactics:

The Chilean fleet shall interdict the Patagonian Archipelago, damaging the offensive on Punta Arenas and forcing the 2nd PLAN fleet to either commit to entering the fjords or stay in the relative safety of the Drake Passage. The western coast represents excellent defensive submarine territory for the CNS O'Higgins, which can hide within the littoral thermocline and then freely dive off the continental shelf. In combination with the often tempestuous sea state of the area, we shall make our southern shores a thorny nut to crack.

The Argentinean fleet shall protect the critical logistical area of Rio Gallegos and be available to support our forces in the Tierra del Fuego area of operations. In coordination with the standing P3 Orion patrols, it will stay well within range of shore-based air power and constitute an active tripwire against the 1st PLAN fleet. Chinese submarines operating in the area will remain a threat, but they will also need to contend with the shallow basin that extends all the way to las Islas Malvinas, as well as King Air ASW patrols that have been moved into place at Piloto Civil Norberto Fernández Airport in Rio Gallegos.

The Brazilian fleet, once rearmed and returned to fully operational status, and in coordination with the submarine raiders ARA San Juan and Tikuna under the command of Cpt. Krawczyk, will act as a pinning force against the 3rd PLAN fleet operating near Islas Malvinas - making them either sail east to defend their vulnerable merchant marine ships, sail west to defend against naval aviation attacks against their base, or split their group up.

Military intelligence has identified a variety of potential targets of interest, as well as recorded a submarine sighting off the coast of Santa Cruz Provincia. While the admiralty is reviewing that information, I ask you and the other staff officers to offer comment on the best courses of action for responding to these tracks and pursuing the strategies outlined. In particular, I would appreciate a tactical appraisal of our subsurface vulnerabilities and strengths.

Moving forward.

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 5, 2023