Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
if you are a referee at one of these games and you have to roll back like 90 seconds of play (a relative eternity in the moment) to award a goal against the home team in their stadium full of 55k feral football fans in a country where you and your family probably receive not a small number of death threats every time you're perceived to have hosed up

frankly i don't blame the guy for making GBS threads his pants and not instantly doing what you think is the Obviously Correct And Sensible Course Of Action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
All referees are failed coppers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TheRat posted:

So pretty much as everyone except Liverpool fans expected - an honest mistake caused by a piss poor system in a high stress environment. The system should never allow a mistake to happen that easily.

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure the Premier League are going to 'solve' this VAR thing in the dumbest way possible, so we all have that to look forward to

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

if you are a referee at one of these games and you have to roll back like 90 seconds of play (a relative eternity in the moment) to award a goal against the home team in their stadium full of 55k feral football fans in a country where you and your family probably receive not a small number of death threats every time you're perceived to have hosed up

frankly i don't blame the guy for making GBS threads his pants and not instantly doing what you think is the Obviously Correct And Sensible Course Of Action

I went back and watched the video again. England tells the ref "check complete" at 0:55, the ref blows the whistle to restart play at 0:57, an AVAR tells him the decision was wrong because the on-field decision was offside at 1:02, England takes a moment to register this and concludes "oh gently caress" at 1:18. It's 21 seconds between the ref restarting play and England realizing his decision was wrong. Under the rules as written currently, yeah, that's too long to go back and fix anything (though apparently a higher-up at PGMOL was calling in to tell them to delay the game at 1:23, so whoever Oli is he certainly thought they could stop play and think about it), but I'm saying I don't think that should be the case. Undoing 21 seconds of a match in which nothing happened should be way less of a problem than disallowing a legitimate goal.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

referee must run to the centre circle and announce the decision over the stadium mic while doing bad semaphore

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

all of this is strengthening the case that the 19/20 side are probably the best premier league winners ever. did it despite all of this structural bias and conflict of interest present, pretty neat.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably not, but there's no procedure for doing it. As poo poo as this situation is and I'd be really annoyed if it was my team (and I was after the Brentford game last season), I also don't think making up new rules is the right fix.

yeah but you'd be way more annoyed if you had a perfectly cromulent goal incorrectly disallowed due to systemic incompetence.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Howard Webb coming out with Jack Tunney to restart the match

Just blow up and tell everyone to hang on like you do for pitch invasions, go back over to tne monitors and put your finger to your ear for a minute and then say 'yeah that was a goal'

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tbp posted:

all of this is strengthening the case that the 19/20 side are probably the best premier league winners ever. did it despite all of this structural bias and conflict of interest present, pretty neat.

Good grief

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

vyelkin posted:

I went back and watched the video again. England tells the ref "check complete" at 0:55, the ref blows the whistle to restart play at 0:57, an AVAR tells him the decision was wrong because the on-field decision was offside at 1:02, England takes a moment to register this and concludes "oh gently caress" at 1:18. It's 21 seconds between the ref restarting play and England realizing his decision was wrong. Under the rules as written currently, yeah, that's too long to go back and fix anything (though apparently a higher-up at PGMOL was calling in to tell them to delay the game at 1:23, so whoever Oli is he certainly thought they could stop play and think about it), but I'm saying I don't think that should be the case. Undoing 21 seconds of a match in which nothing happened should be way less of a problem than disallowing a legitimate goal.

It's this guy https://uk.linkedin.com/in/oli-kohout-2001a2102

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t know who the video operator is but he’s the only guy who figured out that there was a mistake at all. They should adapt modern airline cockpit procedures — as long as you see something, you get to stop the game.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tbp posted:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Vegetable posted:

I don’t know who the video operator is but he’s the only guy who figured out that there was a mistake at all. They should adapt modern airline cockpit procedures — as long as you see something, you get to stop the game.

the IT nerd was the only competent and likely not bald person in the room, just like every other job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Slotducks posted:

yeah but you'd be way more annoyed if you had a perfectly cromulent goal incorrectly disallowed due to systemic incompetence.

Most likely yeah, but then if you're making up rules you end up with one group of good lads in the VAR room who were all referees back in the day and are friends with each other deciding that 15s after an incorrect decision is early enough to stop play, but 20s is too long and then another club gets burned in the future. The way that the system operates is at fault and having the people responsible for that coming up with their own duct-tape fixes on the fly is not going to improve anything.

This should be explored further

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Vegetable posted:

it's already been established that var fellas dont wanna hassel their ref buddies! oh the unenviable position of being tasked with watching over your best pals' work and not tut-tuting too much! oh such a cruel fate

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Slotducks posted:

it's already been established that var fellas dont wanna hassel their ref buddies! oh the unenviable position of being tasked with watching over your best pals' work and not tut-tuting too much! oh such a cruel fate
That’s not what happened here but ok

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Did you even listen to it?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
okay yeah 20 seconds is way shorter, but i imagine it still would have felt like an eternity in the moment. it was absolutely a gently caress up but i still think fear was a significant factor in it - more than just "lol doss oval office refs on the take" in this specific scenario.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

back in my day a respectable club like tottenham would've willingly conceded a goal to right the ref's wrongs. games gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Send all the video feeds to Spain and have them decide

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Darren England's mam to do a hunger strike

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Darren Spain

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The nature of the 20 seconds surely matter as well. If the ball was just being passed around innocuously among defenders I could see the ref being slightly more willing to break the rules and fix things. But in the clip a full-court attack by Spurs has transpired by the time VAR realizes the error. There’s no plausible reversing of a decision after so much has happened.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
My favourite bit is England ignoring the feed guy when he repeatedly asks him are you happy with this the dozy oval office

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

c0burn posted:

My favourite bit is England ignoring the feed guy when he repeatedly asks him are you happy with this the dozy oval office

definitely just a bit distracted for sure, happens to the best of us

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
While we’re at it I’d like to hear the VAR discussion on the Gomez penalty and why they decided that first showing a five second still image of Jones landing on Bissouma would be the best option.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Xabi posted:

While we’re at it I’d like to hear the VAR discussion on the Gomez penalty and why they decided that first showing a five second still image of Jones landing on Bissouma would be the best option.

Because it wasn't a pen and because it was a red card, probably.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

c0burn posted:

The kid should have just said what he thought instead of repeatedly asking leading questions like a mug

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I mean at the end of the day I suppose we're all pontificating about how the refs should have operated within the dogshit var setup we currently have, whereas if it worked properly we wouldn't even be discussing it. Glad that this will never happen again and we will learn all the lessons from it

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nuclear Spoon posted:

okay yeah 20 seconds is way shorter, but i imagine it still would have felt like an eternity in the moment. it was absolutely a gently caress up but i still think fear was a significant factor in it - more than just "lol doss oval office refs on the take" in this specific scenario.

The ball was out for a throw when they're asking him and he's just like play on lads, can't do anything now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

I mean at the end of the day I suppose we're all pontificating about how the refs should have operated within the dogshit var setup we currently have, whereas if it worked properly we wouldn't even be discussing it. Glad that this will never happen again and we will learn all the lessons from it

Heck, same.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Vegetable posted:

The kid should have just said what he thought instead of repeatedly asking leading questions like a mug

Don't wanna upset the boys club

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

c0burn posted:

All referees are failed coppers

:shuckyes:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I swear I remember football fans screaming bloody murder about how long VAR decisions took when it came in

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

VAR: Check complete, great job everyone

*high fives, corks popping etc*

Video bloke: You've proper hosed this

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Vando posted:

I swear I remember football fans screaming bloody murder about how long VAR decisions took when it came in

They’ll never be content until every call goes for their team or against a team they hate

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Blinkz0rz posted:

They’ll never be content until every call goes for their team or against a team they hate

Literally this

Can't wait for multiple VAR room sound clips to be released every week

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Literally this

Can't wait for multiple VAR room sound clips to be released every week

it should be public anyway, there's no reason for it not to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
In cricket you get to listen to the third umpire asking the video guys to move the footage backwards and forwards and then tell the umpire to reverse or stick with his decision. This is bad so we get a vague 'check complete' through a mcdonalds drive thru speaker and you're not allowed to listen to it