Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hmm..

how bad is the shaky cam and unmotivated directing in The Last Exorcism? I tapped out of As Above, So Below pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Occult! Occult is so loving good. And it's a very different take on possession, being from Japanese folklore.

Shrecknet posted:

hmm..

how bad is the shaky cam and unmotivated directing in The Last Exorcism? I tapped out of As Above, So Below pretty quick

Occult has almost no shaky cam because most of the filming is done by a professional camera man.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Have you seen Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight? It's not a traditional demonic possession movie in the style of The Exorcist but demons abound and do possess people and overall it rules.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love The Last Exorcism but :

I think the ending is an all timer of a bad ending. The whole movie managed to subvert what you thought it was going to be. It wasn't about Cotton regaining his faith after encountering the supernatural, it was about him realizing how his fake exorcisms can do real damage to people who believe in that kind of stuff. Then, pretty much out of nowhere, whoops the devil's real and he's got his faith in God back and he's ready to go!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Shrecknet posted:

Watch Night of the Demons, have yourself a good ol time

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

how do we find stuff on Letterboxd with less than 10 reviews please.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

how do we find stuff on Letterboxd with less than 10 reviews please.

I'd like to know this as well, is there a way to see how many reviews a movie has other than just manually clicking through?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Your best bet is to sort whichever list of horror candidates you’re looking at on Letterboxd by popularity, then go to the end of it (don’t try to do this with a long list on the app) and start manually checking the number of reviews.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also feel free to report to us anyone you suspect of being a witch, warlock, or necromancer and a formal inquiry will be made.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Also feel free to report to us anyone you suspect of being a witch, warlock, or necromancer and a formal inquiry will be made.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Do not, it is a trap!

Send a report, and he will witch thee!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Hollismason sees all this season!

Hollismason in:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
fun fact, the real "witchfinder general" gave himself that title and was like 26 when he was burning people for being witches

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I realized something dumb last night. I’ve seen VHS2 but I never watched safe haven. I skipped right to alien abduction because it’s about aliens bro.

Safe Haven is incredible

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I realized something dumb last night. I’ve seen VHS2 but I never watched safe haven. I skipped right to alien abduction because it’s about aliens bro.

Safe Haven is incredible

How could you, it’s the best one in the whole series! papa…

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Safe Haven is incredible

Lmao

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am a level 70 mythic geared warlock in the world of Warcraft :smuggo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WeaponX posted:

How could you, it’s the best one in the whole series! papa…

Don’t worry, I got my comeuppance back then

I hated slumber party alien abduction.

I still do. I don’t like the aliens and the dog deaths stinks.

Yes I saw kids vs aliens and I didn’t like that either. Sorry Jason. Hobo and Death Note still rule tho

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i've only watched half the VHS movies

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Shrecknet posted:

hmm..

As Above, So Below is the worst when it comes to shaky cams. As far as I recall The Last Exorcism is fine for being FF, seeing as it's ostensibly being filmed as a documentary.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Demon Knight is a baller Halloween night pick.

Found the 1997 House of Frankenstein miniseries NBC made. There was a time after Se7en when tv got really dark. This, Millenium and that Dean Koontz movie were wild.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Speaking of Demon Knight, I'm mad we were submitting names for that quiz team and I didn't suggest Hodunk Podunk Well Then There Motherfuckers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Crescent Wrench posted:

This is one the quickest draws on a warning, offending post, and probation I've ever seen.

Free Snooze Cruise!

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

Hollismason posted:

Just a FYI that talking about or encouraging or explaining how to practice witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle, consort with spirits or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8IrgQJyB-E&t=197s

"It's only a post."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://archive.org/details/video_archive_553-cd-207

This is something I am excited to take a crack at.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I watched the first episode of 30 Coins today and really liked it. I appreciate a show that gives me a cool monster and a battle priest right from episode one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqI0U3pBdA

I revisit this Betinelli/Olpin short all the time, it's so goddamn effective.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone else super excited for VHS 85 in 3 days?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

segments from Scott Derrickson and David Bruckner? gently caress yeah

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Topic of discussion between my friend group this evening, a few of whom are also watching horror movies for the month: is Eating Raoul a horror movie? I haven't seen it, and reading the description it seems to be about murder and cannibalism, but there's no horror tag anywhere on IMDB? Do I shun my friend for his genre-inappropriate choice, or do I add it to my watch list this month?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a Weird Tale.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Speaking of Demon Knight, I'm mad we were submitting names for that quiz team and I didn't suggest Hodunk Podunk Well Then There Motherfuckers.

gently caress

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqI0U3pBdA

I revisit this Betinelli/Olpin short all the time, it's so goddamn effective.

One of my favorites. Watched it blind originally lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Always excited for more VHS and I’m pumped that i don’t have to wait till the end of the month.

Unlike the Hell House prequel which comes out the 30th as if I have time to squeeze that in while I watch all my Halloween favorites (I will make time for it because I’m masochistic)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Topic of discussion between my friend group this evening, a few of whom are also watching horror movies for the month: is Eating Raoul a horror movie? I haven't seen it, and reading the description it seems to be about murder and cannibalism, but there's no horror tag anywhere on IMDB? Do I shun my friend for his genre-inappropriate choice, or do I add it to my watch list this month?
Robert Beltran's refusal to engage in union solidarity aside, there's nothing really horror about it. It's sort of like Edward Scissorhands or an Adam Rifkin film in just taking place in a weird reality that plays by its own rules.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If it's not horror (and it's a scab film), I ain't got time for it this October :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I haven't seen vhs99 yet, should I watch that for the challenge or just go with 85?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

just watched Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi: The Most Terrifying Movie in History. It was extremely good.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

just watched Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi: The Most Terrifying Movie in History. It was extremely good.

Thanks for the revie... oh, that's the subtitle?

I really need to watch those after my world tour is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I need to get back to that series, I’ve only seen 1-5.