Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

I knew something inside me had changed when my reaction to news of a rescue helicopter crashing into a church was to have a hearty laugh. My wife who had shared the news with me was disturbed but has since had a few crack pings of her own.

I had a chuckle imagining the video. Lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

I had a chuckle imagining the video. Lmfao.

right? it’s so perfect!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
thread mighta caught this one already but holy lol those numbers

https://twitter.com/histoftech/status/1708767482129899601

look at them go up!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wakko posted:

look at them go up!

More and more convinced every day that cybernetic capitalism is the great filter in the drake equation

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Idk, capitalism as specifically formulated is probably unique to humans, but between nuclear weapons and fossil fuels it's probably the general process of industrialization and accumulation that does everybody in.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

FlapYoJacks posted:

The urge to cream pie another human being overrides all logical thought for almost everyone.

Bustin' [the planet] makes me feel good!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What is unique to humans about capitalism? The whole point of a corporation being an AI is that it doesn't matter what intelligent cells it is made up of as long as they can enact the will of the whole. Humans are just pink fleshy apes with opposable thumbs, what would stop e.g. an intelligent race of anthropomorphic hyenas (our chief rival for intelligent apex predator a very long time ago) from formulating an identical version of capitalism?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wakko posted:

look at them go up!

but you know make sure to recycle and put a brick in your cistern or you're the problem

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i think in the final accounting, the only important attribute of capitalism is that on an arbitrarily long time scale, it prioritizes the accumulation of the product of labor over the ultimate survival of the laborers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

cash crab posted:

a friend of mine told me her friend from back home is now having kids with the express intention of, and i quote, "making sure there are good people in the world who can help," because this woman apparently believes liberal values can be passed down genetically and thinks that her kid, somehow, will be able to reverse climate change and increasingly tense global relations

lol

"WHAT IF MY CHILD IS THE ONE WHO CURES CANCER??" - hitler's mom probably

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Modern capitalism is a specific product of 16th century Europe, if any economic system that prioritizes extracting value rather than ecological sustainability is "capitalism" then human society has been capitalist since the Bronze Age which is obviously nonsense. We just happen to have rolled capitalism as the dominant economic system at the time when technology allowed us to destroy our entire planet's ecology instead of just Mesopotamia's, the global nature is what's different this time - not the concept of accumulating value for an upper class at the expense of the environment and working classes. A palace economy, or hell - even a 20th century "communist" economy with productivist brainworms! - could have done the same thing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crazycryodude posted:

Modern capitalism is a specific product of 16th century Europe, if any economic system that prioritizes extracting value rather than ecological sustainability is "capitalism" then human society has been capitalist since the Bronze Age which is obviously nonsense. We just happen to have rolled capitalism as the dominant economic system at the time when technology allowed us to destroy our entire planet's ecology instead of just Mesopotamia's, the global nature is what's different this time - not the concept of accumulating value for an upper class at the expense of the environment and working classes. A palace economy, or hell - even a 20th century communist economy with productivist brainworms! - could have done the same thing.

A palace economy or communist economy could globally extinct itself but I don't think it's quite as guaranteed as with a cybernetic capitalist economy. A powerful central planning authority with objectives other than Number Go Up offers an economic bottleneck where an actual human or small group could try to avert disaster if they were so inclined. You could argue central bankers are the same thing in our society but I think making the central planning committee explicitly the servant of Number Go Up neutralizes their utility in that regard. Eg, any car can get driven off a cliff but a car without a break pedal or steering wheel is more likely to meet that ultimate fate.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Crazycryodude posted:

Modern capitalism is a specific product of 16th century Europe, if any economic system that prioritizes extracting value rather than ecological sustainability is "capitalism" then human society has been capitalist since the Bronze Age which is obviously nonsense. We just happen to have rolled capitalism as the dominant economic system at the time when technology allowed us to destroy our entire planet's ecology instead of just Mesopotamia's, the global nature is what's different this time - not the concept of accumulating value for an upper class at the expense of the environment and working classes. A palace economy, or hell - even a 20th century "communist" economy with productivist brainworms! - could have done the same thing.

what kind of AI did Uruk's Temple of Ishtar run

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In all the actually existing "communist" economies in human history, the central planning authorities were also explicitly charged with Number Go Up as their primary goal. You're not gonna convince 1930 GosPlan members that we need to reduce carbon emissions because the polar bears will be sad in 100 years when there's still horse-drawn carts on dirt roads everywhere. Or even 1980 central planners.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Crazycryodude posted:

In all the actually existing "communist" economies in human history, the central planning authorities were also explicitly charged with Number Go Up as their primary goal. You're not gonna convince 1930 GosPlan members that we need to reduce carbon emissions because the polar bears will be sad in 100 years when there's still horse-drawn carts on dirt roads everywhere. Or even 1980 central planners.

ffs why did i invent this time machine then

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

More and more convinced every day that cybernetic capitalism is the great filter in the drake equation

i'm going to kill you (actionable threat)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The assertion that capitalism is somehow unique to humans seems no different from people who argue against the possibility of other economic systems by claiming that all selfish behavior we observe within modern capitalism is simply intrinsic human nature and would persist in completely different social and material conditions.

It just feels that way from our perspective deeply embedded in a globalized capitalist society.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm a biologist lmao, I promise the octopuses would also destroy the planet if they lived more than 10 years and invented steam engines. The problem is genes don't give a poo poo about preserving the environment 200 years in the future, they care about eating cheeseburgers and getting laid right now and anything after you nut is pointless to worry about. But the octopuses probably wouldn't do it via robber barons wearing top hats and calling Pinkertons on their striking octopus workers.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Wakko posted:

look at them go up!

a billion gallons is like 3000 acre-feet. hoover dam's reservoir is about 30 million acre feet. the central valley project distributes 7 million acre feet a year. its 5 minutes of the mississippi's flow rate, roughly 0.001% of annular flow. this is just another example of big sounding numbers when it comes to water being extremely small sounding numbers when compared to agricultural uses.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
look at this way perhaps the hardening of some branches of the tree of life from evolution through the bottleneck during the anthropomorphic desertification of the equatorial belt will allow some lineages to survive the much more threatening Pangea ultima desertification in 250 million years. silver linings

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mags posted:

ffs why did i invent this time machine then

Go back in time and stop yourself inventing it

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm a biologist lmao, I promise the octopuses would also destroy the planet if they lived more than 10 years and invented steam engines. The problem is genes don't give a poo poo about preserving the environment 200 years in the future, they care about eating cheeseburgers and getting laid right now and anything after you nut is pointless to worry about. But the octopuses probably wouldn't do it via robber barons wearing top hats and calling Pinkertons on their striking octopus workers.

you heard it here folks even the octopuses have landlords let’s just fuckin boil the oceans

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

Go back in time and stop yourself inventing it

wait, no

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

someone's got to carry on my legacy through the wastelands, may as well be my son Roland

the man in black fled across the desert, and the bdelloid followed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

celadon posted:

a billion gallons is like 3000 acre-feet. hoover dam's reservoir is about 30 million acre feet. the central valley project distributes 7 million acre feet a year. its 5 minutes of the mississippi's flow rate, roughly 0.001% of annular flow. this is just another example of big sounding numbers when it comes to water being extremely small sounding numbers when compared to agricultural uses.

We're just getting started here.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Crazycryodude posted:

I just finished reading Children of Ruin and this is all pretty accurate except you left out the zombie brain bacteria destroying the octopus planet.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

celadon posted:

This is like year two of usable LLMs. Just wait until all the Bitcoin people switch their mining rigs to power their own ai

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
It's a lovely fall day, the leaves changing color. If you don't mind the air being a little hazy, as it has been since June or July, from the smoke drifting down from Canada. And it's a little weird being 78 degrees in October. I think back to when I moved here, in October, eleven years ago. It was snowing.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
even if the amount of water is miniscule in comparison to agricultural uses, we're not doing anything useful with LLMs. at least agricultural water goes to growing something people can eat. this is just straight up waste

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

any organizational system is an AI, the challenge with capitalism is that our system incentives are aligned against collective benefit.

i dont think there's any compelling evidence that all possible systems of incentives must be aligned against collective benefit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Crazycryodude posted:

doubt

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

It's really funny that people still choose to evaluate the impact that this will have on their kids as some kind of abstract ennui or moral injury and not their lives and material circumstances being shattered directly in the very near future by rising oceans, flooding cities, and everything burning to the ground

Your kids are going to be the ones shooting the viral videos.

this is why I refuse to get my kids a phone

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

moana posted:

I just finished reading Children of Ruin and this is all pretty accurate except you left out the zombie brain bacteria destroying the octopus planet.

Same actually! I still haven't read the third one yet though

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

you doubt the internet biologist saying that an octopus soviet union is just as bad as we are

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

"WHAT IF MY CHILD IS THE ONE WHO CURES CANCER??" - hitler's mom probably

lol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah but "collective benefit" in 1850 still means burning all the coal you can dig up to spin more textiles and clearcutting all the forests you can to farm more "waste"land. It doesn't matter if there was a communist revolution in 1848 or whatever, people really like having More poo poo regardless of what economic system they live under because it's a biological imperative. You can fill SOME of that with tricking intelligent social animals into thinking that abstract ideas about solidarity etc. meet their needs better than More poo poo, but I can't imagine any economic system post-agriculture that doesn't extract excess energy from the environment for the benefits of humans because that's what agriculture is, inherently. Everything after that is just the laws of thermodynamics.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
i cant imagine any other economic system either thats why i tell people who do they are wrong to do so

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
maximum power principle, baybee

:coolspot:

edit:

Mola Yam posted:

so long suckers! i rev up industrial society and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates humanity is lying completely dead on the pavement

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Oct 3, 2023

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

For a bunch of supposed Marxists y'all sure hate being reminded of the material fact that humans were mass slash-and-burning forests and measurably increasing atmospheric carbon content as early as like 8000 BCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
okk to ogg: "better things aren't possible, bitch" *lights the Amazon on fire*