Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

Does anyone have access to this article? - it looks interesting, though I am not sure what a "forum article" is.

sure

The Article In Full, Quite Short posted:

Main Text
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic continues to cast a shadow across the world. It has claimed the lives of ~6.9 million people and raised the specter of ‘Long COVID’, which refers to the long-term post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) that an estimated 13–30% of COVID-19 patients are reportedi to suffer from. COVID-19’s infectious agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), leads to a range of outcomes from asymptomatic infection to fatal respiratory illness. Why does SARS-CoV-2 affect so many so disparately? To date, age, sex, ethnicity, and comorbidities such as cardiovascular disorders and diabetes have been identified as risk factors for severe COVID-19. There is, however, a dearth of research into the impact of pre-existing infections on COVID-19 severity. Chronic microbial and viral coinfections are not regularly tested for nor documented in COVID-19 cases – despite their ubiquity in the human population, their association with some of the same major risk factors for COVID-19, including age, and the rise in the number of severe COVID-19 outcomes in patients with chronic coinfections. Here, we raise awareness of the potential impact of chronic microbial infections in COVID-19 pathogenesis.

Each and every one of us will acquire between eight and 12 chronic viral infections in the course of our lives. To establish a chronic infection, a virus must evade immune elimination during the acute phase of infection that is marked by the onset of symptoms, inflammation, and viral proliferation. Next, in a process that remains poorly understood, the host and virus must strike a balance in which viral replication is held in check, but the virus is not cleared. The virus thus persists in the host without producing excessive damage, a stage that is referred to as the chronic phase of infection. A general viral strategy for persistence is cellular latency, a unique state in which the viral replication cycle is switched off and viral antigens are minimally produced. Among the most common chronic infections with prevalence rates of up to 90% in humans include those caused by the herpesviruses Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV), which infect memory lymphocytes and hematopoietic stem cells, respectively, and persist in infected hosts for life.

A hallmark of chronic viral infections is their asymptomatic presentation. However, latent viruses such as CMV are known to reactivate in critically ill immunocompetent patients. It therefore comes as no surprise that the reactivation of herpesviruses has been suggested to occur in patients with severe COVID-19. In a Modena-based study, CMV-DNA was detected in the peripheral blood of ~20% of COVID-19 patients admitted to three different intensive care units (ICUs). Mortality occurred in 67.0% of patients positive for CMV-DNA relative to 24.5% in patients without. CMV, EBV, or human herpes virus-6 viremia developed in 29 of 34 patients admitted to the ICU for severe COVID-19 in a retrospective single-center cohort in Lille. A similar study of 67 patients in Wuhan showed that COVID-19 patients positive for EBV as solely assessed by serology had a ~1.5-fold higher risk of having fever symptoms than those with SARS-CoV-2 infection alone. The reactivation of EBV in COVID-19 patients at clinical diagnosis was associated with PASC-related neurologic symptoms and fatigue in larger cohorts from both the Seattle and San Francisco area. Interestingly, there is an overlap between PASC symptoms and those manifested by patients suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a disabling long-term condition that is linked to EBV reactivation in many cases.

Despite the limitations inherent in studies such as those briefly mentioned here – for example, small cohorts, sampling selection biases, the lack of systematic serological testing and DNA-based testing before and after COVID-19/PASC onset to confirm CMV or EBV reactivation – these reports in aggregate raise the question of whether the reactivation of chronic viral infection during severe COVID-19 is associated with adverse clinical outcomes, as have been documented during CMV reactivation in patients critically ill with pneumonia. The possibility also remains that viral reactivation is merely a nonpathogenic consequence of COVID-19. Indeed, previous studies found no association between EBV reactivation and patient survival in ICUs, and also determined CMV to be negatively associated with PASC phenotypes. Comprehensive serological and DNA testing for CMV and EBV in asymptomatic and symptomatic COVID-19 patients could help clarify the link between chronic infections and COVID-19/PASC severity.

Latent viruses can also cause profound changes in the host immune system, despite their asymptomatic presentation. Such changes could promote inflammatory responses to SARS-CoV-2 infection, thereby driving COVID-19 severity. A systems-level analysis of immune function in healthy monozygotic twins revealed that more than half of the 204 immune parameters assessed, including cytokine responses and cell population frequencies, were influenced by chronic CMV infection. A parallel analysis found that chronic CMV infection heightened immune responses in young, healthy individuals. Both reports showed that CMV-positive patients had increased cytokine and CD-8 T cell responses to interleukin (IL)-6, an immunological driver of COVID-19 severity. A recent study found that young COVID-19 patients with no comorbidities and thus, who typically experience mild symptoms, were more likely to be hospitalized or admitted to the ICU if they were CMV-positive.These results raise the question of whether chronic CMV in young patients drives COVID-19 severity in a manner linked to IL-6.

An opposite possibility to consider is that chronic infections such as CMV may weaken the host immune system to SARS-CoV-2 by directly antagonizing host immune effector mechanisms, or, following cycles of latency and reactivation, by driving the clonal expansion of CMV-specific T cells but shrinkage of the CD8 clonal repertoire as has previously been shown to occur in the elderly. In the case of healthy patients seropositive for CMV, either of the aforementioned scenarios are conceivable given previous findings on how chronic CMV infection affects host immune responses.

Here we have focused on the reactivation of chronic viral infections during severe COVID-19. Chronic infections caused by nonviral pathogens should also be considered in the ongoing pandemic as they can cause disease upon reactivation, and as with certain viral infections, may influence immune function even in seemingly healthy patients. One such example is the human parasite Toxoplasma gondii that infects about 2.3 billion people worldwide. Following acute toxoplasmosis, host immune responses clear Toxoplasma from most organs. In certain tissues, however, the parasite switches from the fast-growing acute form to a slow-growing form known as the tissue cyst. No treatments exist to eradicate tissue cysts, which are thought to persist for the lifetime of the host in brain and skeletal and cardiac tissue, and can reactivate when the host’s immunity is compromised. What is the fate of Toxoplasma tissue cysts in patients suffering from COVID-19 patients? How do the altered cytokine levels observed in peripheral blood of patients chronically infected with Toxoplasma influence the host immune response to a secondary coinfection with SARS-CoV-2?

Chronic infections are present in the majority of the world’s population. The reactivation of chronic infections can cause severe disease in immunocompromised and immunocompetent patients. Yet, chronic infections generally receive little clinical attention in immunocompetent individuals. Studies addressing the link between chronic infections and COVID-19 and PASC severity, or any other disease, are often hampered by limited patient sizes and methodological limitations. As a result, the impact of chronic infections during a secondary coinfection remains poorly understood. Instituting routine testing for chronic viral infection during the acute and chronic phase of COVID-19 would provide a record of a patient’s infection and reactivation history – both of which are key to accurately interpreting immune changes and disease progression. This could be established using noninvasive determination of infection status using PCR or antigen testing of saliva where applicable. Regular detection of viral DNA and antiviral IgG titers in blood samples taken during convalescence would provide a temporally resolved analysis of viral reactivation and COVID-19 symptomology. Such information would enable a more comprehensive understanding of COVID-19 and PASC pathophysiology, and inform whether pathogen reactivation should be taken into consideration in the treatment of COVID-19 and PASC patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SixteenShells posted:

Me neither, but they have a bit in their article submissions page that explains it:

seems like a pretty good idea to me

Thank you both! It is an interesting piece, even if it isn't research as such.

Computer Serf posted:

this is pretty bad considering what’s known with viruses like Toxoplasmosis causing brain damage. Specifically to basolateral amygdala, an area that manages fight or flight responses.
Fatal Attraction Syndrome

it’s known people are getting brain damage from covid, along with immune damage that reactivates latent viruses like herpes, ebv, and toxoplasmosis. so damage to parts of the brain that deal with risk assessment, fear, trust, anticipating the results of a decision, and even the ability for metacognition and general sensory awareness are potentially damaged if not from hypoxia but direct viral and autoimmune autoantibodies eating parts of the brain.

Hopefully someone takes up the mantle, because there are some things here that should certainly be explored further. The piece I posted yesterday about SARS-CoV-2 helping blood-brain barrier penetration fits well into this exploration.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I know I got a lovely take, but I still think that Covidyceps is a thing. I mean it could be from folks getting their Toxio flaring up after Covid activated it again, but that still counts as Covidyceps

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
No need for a cat virus, people have never been a good judge of their own safety.

If not for an authoritarian freedom-hating government, they'd be happy racing down the highway with no belt or airbag. Toss their kid in the front-seat too, if there's a wreck they'll just fly through the windshield to safety.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
personally i've always thought the toxoplasmosis behavior effects are exaggerated. granted it's been like ten years since i read any of the papers but at the time i wasn't very convinced

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I think they are pretty controversial, at least I n humans.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/GinaShirah81815/status/1708314727422513629
Well poo poo...I just HAD to go and get my booster shot yesterday.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
can i turn into a zombie?

do I still have to go to wrok?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i bet comcast is gonna charge me for this free hemorrhaging

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1709025390780641501?s=20

I'm glad I'm not crazy with my feeling like in the midwest we've been at the height of a wave for two months now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went to the supermarket at about 4pm and there were a lot of parents there who'd dragged their sick kids along, I could hear them coughing all over the store. Also none of these kids covered their mouths at all when they coughed so they constantly had plumes of virions spraying out of their faces like a firehose

no way. kids are gross?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/GinaShirah81815/status/1708314727422513629
Well poo poo...I just HAD to go and get my booster shot yesterday.

Step 1: Distribute inactivated Marburg virus through vaccines.
Step 2: Activate the virus at a time where barely anybody has gotten vaxxed due to incompetent rollout.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Joe Biden wins 2024 election.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

my spouse’s boss who exclaimed covid is over has now had it 2x in 2 months along with their whole family. couldn’t go to sleep due to severe coughing.

went to a cookout on Sunday and few people did not show up due to covid infections.

it’s just the flu!….that I get at least 2x a year

the corncobification of american society

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sorry, we'll need you to report to the office

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

your infection numbers need improvement, get back out there and get to work

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
speaking of, the optometrist's office was just closed today, a day they're normally open, with an automated straight-to-voicemail message of a woman sounding absolutely WREKT on the tape lol

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the original zombie myth was from the enslaved people of haiti who feared being raised from the dead and kept in slavery

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1709025390780641501?s=20

I'm glad I'm not crazy with my feeling like in the midwest we've been at the height of a wave for two months now.

Ah we're obviously past the peak! Covid is Over

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

so something I’m hearing about biobot

https://twitter.com/babs_zone/status/1709039811804504370

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wut, so we're not past the peak after all?

Nah, that's killing my vibes, so I'm going to continue believing that we're past the peak. :thanks:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I'd be very curious to know the terms of the contract. There is a ton of other population-level stuff in wastewater like cancer markers and anything else you can think of in the genome. It's Google's wet dream if they have unfettered access to that kind of data.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Wut, so we're not past the peak after all?

Nah, that's killing my vibes, so I'm going to continue believing that we're past the peak. :thanks:

Past the foothills, into the mountains

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

neither WastewaterScan nor Verily offer a national average, just regions, which is annoying. still, both show Covid levels dipping for the past two weeks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
wastewaterScan dashboard with all regions on (overlapping, not added together) for the last year. bookmark this

https://data.wastewaterscan.org/tra...dChartId=fa0f43

Maine, NH and NJ seem to be blowing up right now while most other regions go down

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there’s an anime on Netflix right now that’s about a Japanese salaryman super stoked it’s the zombie apocalypse cause it means he doesn’t have to go to work anymore

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man this shot is kicking my rear end this time, which is weird since I had basically no reaction to the others. The lovely part is being on the drugs I'm on, I know I'm still getting little to no benefit from it even though I'm having a massive reaction apparently.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/Novavax/status/1709278869868499446

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

hell yea when can I get that in my arm

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Happy Novavax day!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:toot: :toot:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

nice

good timing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

it's been a long decade. can someone remind me why we like Novavax and particularly why we might be more interested in it now than the updated mRNA vaxes?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PoundSand posted:

there’s an anime on Netflix right now that’s about a Japanese salaryman super stoked it’s the zombie apocalypse cause it means he doesn’t have to go to work anymore
what have they done to us... what did they do to us

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mdemone posted:

it's been a long decade. can someone remind me why we like Novavax and particularly why we might be more interested in it now than the updated mRNA vaxes?

Less side effects, and it'll have a more generalized protection against other subvariants

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

mdemone posted:

On a purely anecdotal level, mRNA vax fucks with my wifes menstrual cycle which is enough for me to prefer a more traditional vaccine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mdemone posted:

on paper the claim is that because it targets parts of the virus that don’t change between variants, it will be more effective against future variants

whether it plays out like that remains to be seen, but I’m willing to try

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Covid is, obviously, a terrible disease that has killed people I know but I received unemployment benefits during that time period and I have never felt safer, happier, or more free than that moment and it was because rich people felt like they would die if I went outside and coughed and to this day I still get a little twinge of "really? That's what it takes to make them care about me?" and it still feels extremely, terribly, loving dark to think that. Feels dark to say that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LuxuryLarva posted:

Covid is, obviously, a terrible disease that has killed people I know but I received unemployment benefits during that time period and I have never felt safer, happier, or more free than that moment and it was because rich people felt like they would die if I went outside and coughed and to this day I still get a little twinge of "really? That's what it takes to make them care about me?" and it still feels extremely, terribly, loving dark to think that. Feels dark to say that.

we're all trapped in the belly of a machine and the machine is bleeding to death

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.
Hello all. I am the Costco PAPR man, I am the voicebox light-up bubble helmet man. This will be my penultimate post in the CSPAM covid thread. I can no longer read the posts here due to the latent threat of revisiting the traumatic experience of the Costco sample vendor incident. I have processed my feelings on the matter and am at peace, but do not need to be constantly reminded of it by visiting this place. The thread has been a valuable resource for me over the past few years and I have benefited from my time spent reading it. I give my sincere thanks the constructive, helpful people who have shared their information and perspectives. I would like to be remembered as one of those positive contributors, so I will be posting a final art project in this thread tomorrow, October 4th 2023 at 2:00 p.m. PST. Thank you again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

he's gonna post a FEMA cell phone blast you guys