Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
They just finished the last vote on boring appropriations stuff, and now they've moved on to the initial procedural vote on firing McCarthy: a motion to table Gaetz's motion to vacate. Ayes here are to throw it away and move on with their lives, nays are to open the blood gates. It's near-certain to fail, but it'll take a while. After that, if my copy of the House calendar is correct, we're scheduled for one hour of mere anarchy being loosed upon the world, followed by a vote to drown the ceremony of innocence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Quorum posted:

They just finished the last vote on boring appropriations stuff, and now they've moved on to the initial procedural vote on firing McCarthy: a motion to table Gaetz's motion to vacate. Ayes here are to throw it away and move on with their lives, nays are to open the blood gates. It's near-certain to fail, but it'll take a while. After that, if my copy of the House calendar is correct, we're scheduled for one hour of mere anarchy being loosed upon the world, followed by a vote to drown the ceremony of innocence.

So whats the calculus on Republicans who would vote against the Motion to table but vote for McCarthy? Because we already have 10 republicans voting Nay

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Quorum posted:

They already have 10 nays for tabling, though I think some fraction of that probably want to move on to the vote to hopefully end it and move on. Tabling just kicks the pain down the road til later? Or, correct me on this, is tabling indefinite until re-motioned? Not a house rules geek.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yiggy posted:

They already have 10 nays for tabling, though I think some fraction of that probably want to move on to the vote to hopefully end it and move on. Tabling just kicks the pain down the road til later? Or, correct me on this, is tabling indefinite until re-motioned? Not a house rules geek.

Tabling kills it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Youth Decay posted:

Tabling kills it.

Seems like a bad sign for McCarthy then

:suspense:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

So whats the calculus on Republicans who would vote against the Motion to table but vote for McCarthy? Because we already have 10 republicans voting Nay

That would be very silly; I'd expect any Rs voting against tabling to be diehard anti-McCarthys (because tabling the motion is identical to voting to keep McCarthy, plus it saves a small amount of time and embarrassment). This is probably a good preview of the roll call on the motion to vacate.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

218 Nays

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Glumslinger posted:

The only reason to do this is to stand up and publicly declare that they're huge fans of McCarthy in particular by performatively supporting him when they otherwise wouldn't have to. Literally no one in Congress feels this way

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there any reason to believe an hour of debate will actually convince some of those Republicans who voted against tabling the motion to fold? Even if none of them went into this planning to switch sides, I have to assume they'll be under the glare of the other Republicans this whole time until the vote goes through.

It feels a bit like even if they eventually decided to put Kevin back in the Speakership, they'd want to officially vacate him at least once just for the show of strength, right?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Kevin McCarthy is a moron and this is very entertaining, but I suspect that in the end it won’t be good for anyone.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dolash posted:

Is there any reason to believe an hour of debate will actually convince some of those Republicans who voted against tabling the motion to fold? Even if none of them went into this planning to switch sides, I have to assume they'll be under the glare of the other Republicans this whole time until the vote goes through.

It feels a bit like even if they eventually decided to put Kevin back in the Speakership, they'd want to officially vacate him at least once just for the show of strength, right?

No, there's absolutely no situation in which an hour of debate convinces anyone of anything. If Tom Cole uses his entire half hour to pull out letters from God, Jesus, and George Washington personally endorsing Kevin McCarthy as speaker of the house it probably still wouldn't change anything. The hour of debate is basically just for cosplaying as a deliberative body and getting your sound bites in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Kevin McCarthy is a moron and this is very entertaining, but I suspect that in the end it won’t be good for anyone.

It will at least be very funny if they wind up voting him back in a week from now with all the reps who say he can't be trusted to keep his promises then saying "well, he's promised me XYZ, so ..."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Quorum posted:

My vote for speaker goes to the widening gyre.

But seriously, who the gently caress even WANTS this job? It's basically a political bomb collar that barely even comes with prestige.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It will at least be very funny if they wind up voting him back in a week from now with all the reps who say he can't be trusted to keep his promises then saying "well, he's promised me XYZ, so ..."

The thing is, he had to sign the devil's bargain to get elected in the first place. It's very unlikely he'd accept that bargain again if he's renominated, and if he's booted I'm not sure he'll be able to whip enough votes to win without more major concessions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But seriously, who the gently caress even WANTS this job? It's basically a political bomb collar that barely even comes with prestige.

Kevin McCarthy wants it. Or at least he did.

No idea why.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I do agree with Democrats doing what they’re doing, though. The “bad thing” is not what’s happening today, but rather the GOP having a majority in this chamber at all. This type of chaos, and the worse chaos that will probably follow, became virtually guaranteed at that point. There’s no saving McCarthy from the nut jobs in the house majority now, so we might as well be rid of him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Somebody let me know when the blood-dimmed tide is loosed

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Someone with an ironclad plan to evoke the line of succession. :getin:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Oh, man.

One extra Republican who was not expected to vote against McCarthy is now voting to oust him because he told a reporter that he was "praying on it" when asked how he would vote, McCarthy called him to confirm he would be supporting him and yelled at him for giving a non-answer because praying was just stalling.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1709276655254904972

On the one hand, it feels like this guy was looking for a reason to oust him and God probably wasn't going to give him a clear answer.

On the other hand, it is impressive that McCarthy is still managing to actively burn bridges during the actual vote.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cimber posted:

The thing is, he had to sign the devil's bargain to get elected in the first place. It's very unlikely he'd accept that bargain again if he's renominated, and if he's booted I'm not sure he'll be able to whip enough votes to win without more major concessions.

He couldn't even propose the bargain again. He went back on so many of his promises and pissed off so many people with that deal that nobody's trusting him.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tempest_56 posted:

He couldn't even propose the bargain again. He went back on so many of his promises and pissed off so many people with that deal that nobody's trusting him.

Its almost like running things is hard. Its much easier to throw bombs from the sidelines than do your job.

Also, lets not forget that the speaker of the house is the third in line for the presidency.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

On the one hand, it feels like this guy was looking for a reason to oust him and God probably wasn't going to give him a clear answer.

On the other hand, it is impressive that McCarthy is still managing to actively burn bridges during the actual vote.

Fantastic rake stomping.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

5 R’s making Jeffries speaker would be a hilarious strategy. They could still vote R and stymie the D agenda, and campaign on Dem’s not being able to fix anything having full control of Congress. It won’t happen, but it would be funny.

The Full Communism Now Act would get stymied, but there's a ton of things that Republicans don't like that could get passed if allowed a vote by the entire house

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, man.

One extra Republican who was not expected to vote against McCarthy is now voting to oust him because he told a reporter that he was "praying on it" when asked how he would vote, McCarthy called him to confirm he would be supporting him and yelled at him for giving a non-answer because praying was just stalling.

Yeah, burning bridges with God himself, seemingly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I hear McCarthy is in the process of getting owned. At least the funding is there for the rank and file civil servants cause this congress is effectively over 10 months in.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kale posted:

I hear McCarthy is in the process of getting owned. At least the funding is there for the rank and file civil servants cause this congress is effectively over 10 months in.

I mean, until mid November I guess. Looks like a thanksgiving shutdown to me!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Oh, man.

"Oh god, give me a sign whether to support this man"

"Mr Representative, Speaker McCarthy is on the phone and is saying to knock off the phony god shtick and vote for him"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'll be speaker and complete no-show it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
When McCarthy gets the boot again, I wonder if the Republicans will trot out the Trump for Speaker plan again

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Speaker of the House has a constitutionally mandated salary, is the third highest paid elected official in the country, and doesn't have to be a member of Congress.

if you could somehow scam a majority of the House into letting you be a no-show speaker, then that would be a pretty sweet gig because there is no legal way to stop paying you besides a constitutional amendment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Speaker of the House has a constitutionally mandated salary, is the third highest paid elected official in the country, and doesn't have to be a member of Congress.

I don't think 1 and 3 can be true at the same time, the relevant parts of article 1 and the 27th amendment specifically refer to "senators and representatives" so they may not cover a speaker who is not a representative

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wouldn't most folks in the position to become Speaker already have considerable investments and the like?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Gaetz - "No one wants to shut the government down"
lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

I don't think 1 and 3 can be true at the same time, the relevant parts of article 1 and the 27th amendment specifically refer to "senators and representatives" so they may not cover a speaker who is not a representative

The Speaker has a separate salary from regular members of Congress.

The Speaker gets $223,500 per year.

Regular members get $174,000 per year.

The 27th amendment has never been taken to court over something like that and it would be an interesting case. The Speaker is considered a member of the House, but the literal text just says "Representatives."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

When McCarthy gets the boot again, I wonder if the Republicans will trot out the Trump for Speaker plan again

I'm honestly willing to bet this is Gaetz' plan all along.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A very official graphic checking who is voting to oust KMac:

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1709262930988998748

There's six in the yes column and more in the undecided but big mad column, so he's probably done for.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I love how this debate keeps breaking into border control.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
In related fun, there are reports that the NY judge running Trump's civil fraud trial has issued a gag order after Trump attacked the clerk of the court, including releasing her phone number on Truth Social.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4236476-new-york-judge-issues-gag-order-after-trump-attacks-clerk-on-truth-social/

Smart move, Donald. Piss off the one guy who gets to decide your fate.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna laugh when Pelosi saves him with her absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

JosefStalinator posted:

Gonna laugh when Pelosi saves him with her absence.

I mean, if the margins are that slim, Gaetz would just file it the motion to vacate once more Dems are back in DC