Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something the game does routinely forget which is funny every time is that 1. you own a spaceship and 2. most of them have guns on them. Hell, I'm flying a giant asteroid right now. Just drop it on some Vex next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It would be cool to call in your ship to wreck fools, one of the Metroid prime games did that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I think someone earlier in the thread posted some stuff about the ahamkara lore and their desire to be real - that they know they are in a game. Lived that too.
Savathûn seems to know and wants to escape into our world, if I remember rightly.

My favourite 'guardians are canonically idiots' lore is the guardian games class items about the edgelord warlock, himbo titan and hunter with anger management issues getting outsmarted by a bookie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Savathûn seems to know and wants to escape into our world, if I remember rightly.

My favourite 'guardians are canonically idiots' lore is the guardian games class items about the edgelord warlock, himbo titan and hunter with anger management issues getting outsmarted by a bookie.

There's another lore tab about Shaxx threatening to send a bunch of his largest Titans to go squash some gunmakers who were planning to fix Crucible games

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Something the game does routinely forget which is funny every time is that 1. you own a spaceship and 2. most of them have guns on them. Hell, I'm flying a giant asteroid right now. Just drop it on some Vex next time.

Ghosts cant resurrect ships so losing those is way more expensive and harder to replace than losing a guardian for a 30 second res timer, duh

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nonsense, just pull a new ship from collections.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Revision Zero is a fun gun and a fun mission but boy that midboss on Legend just respawning you infinitely underneath the Hive Knight's boot sure sucked a ton lmao

Neat that it's kind of just a baby DSC raid, really cool mission

e: How much does it really matter going from Hunter's Trace 2 to 4? Same with DMT - I have level 3 of the perk is 4 worth it if I really give a poo poo?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 2, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really enjoyed playing it again, unfortunately they removed the weekly lockout on both it and presage, so I did 4 or so runs on the 1st day and kind of never want to look at the mission again.

Can't quite bring myself to do dead messenger though. The tank section loving sucks, which is a sentence you should never have to say about driving a tank in a game where you normally don't.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I really enjoyed playing it again, unfortunately they removed the weekly lockout on both it and presage, so I did 4 or so runs on the 1st day and kind of never want to look at the mission again.

Can't quite bring myself to do dead messenger though. The tank section loving sucks, which is a sentence you should never have to say about driving a tank in a game where you normally don't.

They've changed the mission's time limits, for both the tank and on-foot sections. It's very hard to run out of time now.

I wanted to like the tank section, but the entire area is way too cramped. Vehicles need room to maneuver.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
One of my personal favourite instances of Bungie writing video game effects into the actual lore was when the WQ collectors edition lore book took a chapter to address Stasis.

As a video game, when Beyond Light launched Stasis was wildly unbalanced and basically made Crucible unplayable for the first season if not longer. It took multiple patches and sustained effort by the developers to make PvP Stasis not something that would immediately destroy the flow of a given pvp match when deployed. Then Light 3.0 and later Strand come along and eat up like 95% of the Stasis use cases in gameplay, but that's a digression.

The lore book makes PvP balancing literal canon. In-world, Stasis really was more potent when first discovered and became less potent when used by guardians in the in-game world over time. There is speculation about why this happened, likening Stasis to a disease which evolves to be less severe in order to spread more easily, or something being affected by an external force to ensure that less people feel threatened by it and would be more accepting, foreshadowing the influence of the Witness.

This is why one of my bigger takeaways from Ammit Weekend was that there's a lore writer somewhere probably already brainstorming ideas for how they'll write about That Weekend All The Guns Became Paracausal for TFS' lore book.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When guardians die the ghosts pull fresh copies from other timelines and that's why every other timeline was actually doomed, we kept pulling all the alive guardians from them. No guardians means no one can shoot the smoke head guy. It's pretty simple, everything else is dressing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

syntaxfunction posted:

When guardians die the ghosts pull fresh copies from other timelines and that's why every other timeline was actually doomed, we kept pulling all the alive guardians from them. No guardians means no one can shoot the smoke head guy. It's pretty simple, everything else is dressing.

IIRC there is one person or ghost or something who has that as a theory. And they look at another timeline as a template for rebuilding their dead guardian rather than actually yoinking them out and leaving the timeline without a hero

I only :goonsay: because I think it's really lame and that 'Multiverse Moments' are always bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IIRC there is one person or ghost or something who has that as a theory. And they look at another timeline as a template for rebuilding their dead guardian rather than actually yoinking them out and leaving the timeline without a hero

I only :goonsay: because I think it's really lame and that 'Multiverse Moments' are always bad

On the other hand, Elsie timeline hops all the time and at least one of them has Eris as Super Witch Queen Deluxe Edition and you're her number one (Savathun's her number two), and Ikora and Savathun both know that and that's why Ikora's making GBS threads herself over this season's very bad very good idea, so that's pretty rad.

Also, when I was doing the Seraph Shield mission I forgot that the Exo Stranger even existed, so lol

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That was the Cult of Osiris theory, from when he was stuck in the Infinite Forest.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/no-rez-for-the-weary

goonsay.txt, but imho the interesting part of that lore entry is the statement that Ghosts don't actually have to wait for a Guardian to die to rez them -- they can start the reconstruction process while the OG Guardian is still dying (or imminently about to die), which is why the theory of "you're just making a copy of the Guardian from another timeline in which they weren't an idiot" exists.

In his case, his Guardian is so loving dumb that they're hosed in _every_ timeline.

Probably a Titan.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

after bashing my face against it I just finished the calus campaign fight on legendary and as the death animation was playing out my xbox hard reset from overheating. Time to get the air duster out I guess

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Is there a clue I’m missing in the test of cunning about why it’s one symbol and not the other? All the guides just tell me the right one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ohhyeah posted:

Is there a clue I’m missing in the test of cunning about why it’s one symbol and not the other? All the guides just tell me the right one.

There are only two symbols. Remember how the Altars of Summoning starts with a circle of those 2 symbols, and if you start the ritual by waving your wand at the one there are only 3 of you get free orbs? It's that symbol.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Similarly, was there any clue how the knight and thrall mechanic worked in the test of strength? Or was I just supposed to try things until I noticed a pattern of success

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's the enemy it's pointing to, and then after you kill the first thrall in the second room, it's every other one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sorry, let me rephrase. Was there any type of clue, hint, or indication that it worked that way, or was I supposed to figure it out by wiping until the Rules became obvious?

Like obviously arrows are a good hint that you should proceed in a direction, and there was a Deepsight for which one to start on, but I didn't see any way to solve the Kill the knights In order vs Leapfrog the thrall part of the puzzle other than see what wiped me and what didn't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I suspect you were supposed to keep dying til you work it out, or have someone explain it to you outside the game.

I couldn't see anything other than well nobody wakes up if I skip that 2nd guy, I'll try skipping every other guy then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol how the season plot resolves

Double lol how the "why did this work and also what happened after it" part was OUTSIDE the cutscene. Also there's 3 more weeks of chattin' after all I guess based on the triumph

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That was an absurd level of Tell Don't Show, holy cow. The cutscene, the .txt and the .mp3 were all chock full of it

The missing Arcana card and the purpose of the Oubliette are still missing. I'm not abandoning my Secret Ahamkara Theory yet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also lol how they just straight up say yeah we'll deal with this poo poo after the Witness so guess that problem is solved until the Final Shape campaign.

A random Hive should just kill her and become the new war god now. Good luck thralls!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Felt pretty obvious Xivu was not dying in a seasonal story mission, so no poo poo she's off the board for now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The missing Arcana card and the purpose of the Oubliette are still missing. I'm not abandoning my Secret Ahamkara Theory yet

I feel like the radio log/lore tab are the answer to this. Sava says we already have the way into the traveler. I can only assume she means the imbaru engine, or something in it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

Felt pretty obvious Xivu was not dying in a seasonal story mission, so no poo poo she's off the board for now.

I feel like the radio log/lore tab are the answer to this. Sava says we already have the way into the traveler. I can only assume she means the imbaru engine, or something in it.

It would've been nice to know that something before February was happening or maybe it'd be part of FS but guess not!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ikora may as well have stared at the camera and told you to pre-order Destiny 2: Heresy.

Xivu ain't coming back until late next year. Now that she is depowered and devalued to 'standard, mortal Hive Knight' we don't have the problem of "what activity is appropriate for killing Xivu Arath"? She can just die in a seasonal story mission.

The hook for next season will definitely be in the final Imbaru Mission, whenever that comes available.

I have to imagine next season is all about using the Mysterious Contents of the Oubliette to find the Portal Unlocking MacGuffins across the galaxy while .. uh... Eramis? tries to stop us.

Man, the Witness' bench is pretty empty these days! Last we saw of Eramis she was barely even loyal to him anymore, and I can't imagine she's been galvanized by his absence all year.

The real question is, are we going to Io or Mercury next season

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In a surprise twist, Venus again

Remember Venus?

Maybe the Reef. I wonder how those guys are doing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 3, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We're definitely overdue for some Mara, and Osiris.

If we get a new Ahamkara friend, Mara is gonna be on speed dial for the season

Osiris and the Infinite Forest are like a writer's dream though, since you can progress or complicate the story in any way at any time

Io feels ripe for a comeback though. It was the Traveler's first stop in sol, it has the funky silver wing tree thing going on, AND has a weird connection to the Deep. Plus aren't they bringing Whisper Mission back next season? Not that they need seasonal connections to bring it back, but I could see us spending some time on Io for sure.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ikora may as well have stared at the camera and told you to pre-order Destiny 2: Heresy.

Xivu ain't coming back until late next year. Now that she is depowered and devalued to 'standard, mortal Hive Knight' we don't have the problem of "what activity is appropriate for killing Xivu Arath"? She can just die in a seasonal story mission.

The hook for next season will definitely be in the final Imbaru Mission, whenever that comes available.

I have to imagine next season is all about using the Mysterious Contents of the Oubliette to find the Portal Unlocking MacGuffins across the galaxy while .. uh... Eramis? tries to stop us.

Man, the Witness' bench is pretty empty these days! Last we saw of Eramis she was barely even loyal to him anymore, and I can't imagine she's been galvanized by his absence all year.

The real question is, are we going to Io or Mercury next season

I'm pretty sure Xivu is still super powerful - she just doesn't have a way to cheat death. She was severed from her throne world, not worm, so I think she can still get juiced from war and conflict, she just has to worry about getting punked by guardians like any other raid boss.

I'm going to guess next season might not have a central antagonist, and will be the equivalent of a system wide easter egg hunt. The maguffin requires various bits and bobs from all around, so they can lean into it being a season where they plan to focus on core activities, apparently? Maybe Vex themed, since The Black Garden was retroactively made into them simulating The Veil.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure Xivu is still super powerful - she just doesn't have a way to cheat death. She was severed from her throne world, not worm, so I think she can still get juiced from war and conflict, she just has to worry about getting punked by guardians like any other raid boss.

I'm going to guess next season might not have a central antagonist, and will be the equivalent of a system wide easter egg hunt. The maguffin requires various bits and bobs from all around, so they can lean into it being a season where they plan to focus on core activities, apparently? Maybe Vex themed, since The Black Garden was retroactively made into them simulating The Veil.

As much as I would love to see her as a raid boss, there is no raid for her to appear in :smith:

Story mission it is. Or maybe a Strike? We killed a Worm God in a strike before

Good call on the Vex next season! And that's also another point in favor of both Mercury and Io!

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Next season is supposed to be more heavily related to the core playlists than the normal seasonal activities/story so I wouldn't count on anything major being brought back.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
My absolute favorite part of the season ending story Everyone is worried about what Savathun is going to do when she's brought back and then Eris immediately offs her. Hah, take that queen of lies and trickery! Then you find out in a radio message that in the time it took you to fly to the helm Immaru brought her back again and she left. Just lmao

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hackan Slash posted:

My absolute favorite part of the season ending story Everyone is worried about what Savathun is going to do when she's brought back and then Eris immediately offs her. Hah, take that queen of lies and trickery! Then you find out in a radio message that in the time it took you to fly to the helm Immaru brought her back again and she left. Just lmao

Oh yeah, in case anyone is wondering why the storytelling felt so .. off.

There is a lore .txt you are apparently expected to read between the HELM cutscene and visiting the holoprojector

Spoilers, don't embiggen unless you are on this week's storyline.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We're definitely overdue for some Mara, and Osiris.

Io feels ripe for a comeback though. It was the Traveler's first stop in sol, it has the funky silver wing tree thing going on, AND has a weird connection to the Deep. Plus aren't they bringing Whisper Mission back next season? Not that they need seasonal connections to bring it back, but I could see us spending some time on Io for sure.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good call on the Vex next season! And that's also another point in favor of both Mercury and Io!

Agreed on Io/Vex, but we just had Mara in S20 and Osiris in Lightfall. If we're overdue for anyone it's Exo Stranger. (I'm long past hoping for Shiro-4 to be brought out of the Hunter Protection Program.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

I mean we specifically needed Sava for knowledge to get through the portal. It felt pretty obvious she wasn't dead for good because we know how lightbearers work, and because we sort of need her alive. The lore book kind of goes to point that getting the witness is a little more important then punking Savatrhun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Aqua Dracula posted:

Next season is supposed to be more heavily related to the core playlists than the normal seasonal activities/story so I wouldn't count on anything major being brought back.

It's literally the final Season before the Final Shape Campaign. It's almost the last chance for narrative, period. The Final Shape campaign resolves the entire light and darkness saga within its however-many-Missions, and is not a 3-month season of storytelling.

There is no way they are going to skimp on the seasonal story in favor of Core Playlist QoL

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I mean we specifically needed Sava for knowledge to get through the portal. It felt pretty obvious she wasn't dead for good because we know how lightbearers work, and because we sort of need her alive. The lore book kind of goes to point that getting the witness is a little more important then punking Savatrhun.

Funny enough, if you read the lore that unlocked today, it turns out that we very much didn't need any of those things, and the only benefit to bringing Savathun back to life was in fact punking her.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I respect that the ultimate solution to Xivu Arath (for now) is a tremendous anticlimax. It's the flip side of how we ultimately defeated Oryx. Oryx is so completely sure that the only thing that could ever permanently kill him is something more devoted to the Sword Logic than he is, anything that can beat Oryx in a fight would simply pick right up where Oryx left off and continue the scouring of the universe, thus sealing the truth of his philosophy forever. Instead we kill him, take a few guns, and leave all his other poo poo floating uselessly around Saturn to rot.

Meanwhile Xivu Arath goes one step further in saying that she is War, that there's fundamentally no way to beat her without fighting and the act of fighting empowers her to victory. But Eris works around this by denying a fight at all. She even goes further than that by basically ignoring the bullshit rules that Xivu set up by instead attacking the connection to the throne world that gives Xivu the ability to set those bullshit rules in the first place.

This is the real key: that a lot of Sword Logic is just made up bullshit and the only reason it works at all is that there were powerful beings who enforced it's metaphysical existence. When we left the Dreadnaught after Oryx it drove Toland absolutely bugshit insane because he had bought into the idea that there's only one game in existence and couldn't conceive of us not playing it. Xivu can't even conceive of a situation where all that accumulated power wouldn't be used to fight her.

Eris continues to have the most solid characterization in the game. She loving hates the Hive, so much so that she spends the entire season playing the Hive's game by precisely by the Hive's rules only at the very end to go "no, really. Really. gently caress each and every one of you." and uses all that accumulated power to break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xivu Arath is War and combat empowers her, therefore when the time comes to engage her in battle* I will unleash my ultimate technique: making GBS threads my pants and running away, crying loudly how I can't win she's too strong

Take THAT, Hive!

Also my favorite thing about just leaving the Dreadnought there and forgetting about it is that Zavala ALSO forgot about it and was very surprised when the Hive turned up on Titan to murder the gently caress out of all those Guardians in the Red War

* next March

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 3, 2023