Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ll buy the excellent non-dented one that you decide not to keep if you end up going that route. LMK.

My guy says he can deffo get another one but might take a minute. I have you and El Bromance both interested. I'll message you both once I secure the last unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

My guy says he can deffo get another one but might take a minute. I have you and El Bromance both interested. I'll message you both once I secure the last unit.

rad, I call dibs on the better one

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Is Unigine Valley the best/only 3D stress test you can run on an intel Mac?

GLViewer and lots of Boxing Kings maybe

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

rad, I call dibs on the better one

I was first, and I request yours is thrown down a flight of stairs first ;)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Is Unigine Valley the best/only 3D stress test you can run on an intel Mac?

One of the Tomb Raider games has a native intel port and a timedemo benchmark mode.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

On the subject of cheap, old hardware, this reseller is offering really cheap old Mac Minis, if one has a need for such a thing: https://orchardresales.com/collections/all After reading about OpenCore Legacy Patcher I went for a 2012 i7 quad core with max ram and SSD for $61.

Also, I too would be interested in a high core count, dual graphics card trash can.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That’s a good price for those minis, but we had a few at my last job from that era and be warned: they are slooooow. I don’t know if theyre underclocked or if the hdd/fusion drives were wonky, but they seemed slow when they were new

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Last Chance posted:

That’s a good price for those minis, but we had a few at my last job from that era and be warned: they are slooooow. I don’t know if theyre underclocked or if the hdd/fusion drives were wonky, but they seemed slow when they were new

I still have one! :shepicide:

They use a laptop-spec second-gen Core ix chip rather than desktop, and laptop drives are dogshit slow compared to even a sata ssd. Also the ram is pathetically slow as well. Then there's the repeated performance nerfs from all the patched exploits that were published in 2017-19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t remember my 2012 being that bad, but I’d swapped out the SSD and upped the RAM. It was being tasked to video capture until my gf moved in and needed the room it was set up in, but I don’t recall its performance being detrimental.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t remember my 2012 being that bad, but I’d swapped out the SSD and upped the RAM. It was being tasked to video capture until my gf moved in and needed the room it was set up in, but I don’t recall its performance being detrimental.

It can't handle the higher bitrates/av1 YouTube uses for 1080p now without stuttering

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's not high on my list but I would like to have a space gray 2018 max spec mini to go with my space gray iMac Pro

Aino Minako posted:

Also, I too would be interested in a high core count, dual graphics card trash can.

Get in line pal. But I think the lower spec ones are pretty cheap now if you're willing to upgrade a $30 cpu, $30 ram and whatever nvme SSD. It's the GPU in the trashcan that's gonna cost ya.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have a 2012 Mini riced up with 16 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD and it's running Sonoma 14.0 with OCLP 1.0.1.. it's not half bad, considering the laptop class CPU and low tier GPU..

2014s were crap mainly because Apple limited them to dual core CPUs only.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Facetious posted:

It can't handle the higher bitrates/av1 YouTube uses for 1080p now without stuttering

Hmm feels like this can be worked around just from my knowledge if yt-dl and its forks where you can pick what versions of the files you want (funnily enough I’m dealing with a ton of AV1 files from that process). I wonder if simply playing with the browser identification to something incompatible with AV1 is enough to tell it to use VP9 or whatever instead.

Shaocaholica posted:

It's not high on my list but I would like to have a space gray 2018 max spec mini to go with my space gray iMac Pro

That’s my daily machine, and I still do really like it except it’s the one I moan about a ton because I bought it just before the Apple Silicon announcements were made. It also doesn’t have a very big SSD as I had to cheap out, but I upped the RAM by hand at least.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

2014s were crap mainly because Apple limited them to dual core CPUs only.

Yeah I think these were the ones we had, never realized they were dual core tho drat lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the ram was soldered in too on that year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was first, and I request yours is thrown down a flight of stairs first ;)

you sure about that? :)

Shaocaholica posted:

12core/D700/64G/1T for $300

Basically max spec from apple. The SSD is the only thing worth upgrading if you need it for whatever. I’ll have 3 hopefully. I’ll keep the best cosmetic one and probs sell the other 2 here.

Ok Comboomer posted:

That's an excellent price, especially for the D700. If he's got one and you pass on it but he's willing to ship, I'd love to be put in touch, if you don't mind.

Alternatively: are the "less cosmetically nice ones" in your possession rough looking? I'd rather buy a known quantity item from a goon (and hopefully spend less than $500+) than chance it buying a sight-unseen one from a reseller (or buying a ~$450 8-core and possibly/most likely upgrading it) and spend a bunch more money to do so, so if you do end up buying and culling down your collection I'd absolutely buy one of them off of you assuming that the price is agreeable and the aesthetic condition isn't too bad.

Shaocaholica posted:

The only issue I have with one of them is a dent on the bottom vent that’s not seen in use. The shell is also a bit stiff to unlock but overall looks excellent. The other one is excellent. I’m sure the 3rd would be excellent as well.

Anyone buying one from me will get a full set of photos showing any blemishes before committing for sure.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ll buy the excellent non-dented one that you decide not to keep if you end up going that route. LMK.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think the ram was soldered in too on that year.

Yup you had to order all the RAM you could afford ahead of time but you could still pop in a 2.5" SSD instead of the Apple crapstan 5400 RPM drives

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2018 mini would be almost perfect if it could take an m.2. And a socketed CPU. And 2020 cpus.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 5, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

you sure about that? :)

Yep!

Shaocaholica posted:

Dammit I got offered another fully loaded trashcan for $300.

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat I’d probably buy that just for the sheer fun of it. Don’t suppose they want to ship?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah neat, well if you get bored and can’t find a use for it I’ll probably be up for it. Just shout in this thread!

Enjoy the dents my friend! ;)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep!

Enjoy the dents my friend! ;)

lol curses

beaten fair and square

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sry. Now I have to roll one down the concrete stairs. It’ll probably sound like those gungan balls from ep1

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Seeing how we're barely five months from the release of the 15" MacBook airs, now would be a decent time to pick one up, no? There seems to be an decent supply on the refurb store and I have a birthday coming up...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CaptainCrunch posted:

Seeing how we're barely five months from the release of the 15" MacBook airs, now would be a decent time to pick one up, no? There seems to be an decent supply on the refurb store and I have a birthday coming up...

They're great machines and if they suit your needs you should get it

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

101 posted:

They're great machines and if they suit your needs you should get it

Thank you for giving me the answer I wanted to hear. Muahahaha.
I love my Studio to death, but I need to do some mobile stuff. God how I wish more developers did what Clip Studio did and just port the desktop app to the iPad with the appropriate tweaks. But no, so here I am buying an amazing new laptop.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there some apple way to connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse if that’s the only input devices you have? Does it only work with factory fresh apple keyboard/mouse?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there some apple way to connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse if that’s the only input devices you have? Does it only work with factory fresh apple keyboard/mouse?

I’ve always had to pair it once with a plugging in even when fresh and all apple but it has been over a decade since i did so

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found a cute wooden pedestal for the trashcan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
man that looks great. i always thought the design complaints were overblown with those, with the note that apple failed to help create a good third party thunderbolt expansion ecosystem at the time

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ikr. I’m looking for some TB2 accessories to complement but I might already own the good ones already.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If worst comes to worst, and you have an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter, you can always use a TS3 Plus as a Tbolt hub for the Trashcan:

https://www.caldigit.com/is-my-caldigit-thunderbolt-3-device-compatible-with-apple-thunderbolt-1-and-2-computers/

I have one hooked up to beat up 2014 rMBP and it works pretty good with the caveat it won't charge a TB2 laptop.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
If I hadn’t thrown together a cheap ‘n cheerful ITX family machine around a Ryzen 5700GE I’d seriously consider a trash can Mac. They’re handsome little machines - I just wish they’d gotten a Skylake update with a newer GPU.

I keep thinking about a Studio. Is the stock 512GB SSD punchy enough? I’ll definitely use an external scratchpad drive for a lot, but keep circling back to thinking a 1TB drive would be my realistic minimum for a desktop in 2023. Everything else would be cheerfully more than I need…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

If I hadn’t thrown together a cheap ‘n cheerful ITX family machine around a Ryzen 5700GE I’d seriously consider a trash can Mac. They’re handsome little machines - I just wish they’d gotten a Skylake update with a newer GPU.

I keep thinking about a Studio. Is the stock 512GB SSD punchy enough? I’ll definitely use an external scratchpad drive for a lot, but keep circling back to thinking a 1TB drive would be my realistic minimum for a desktop in 2023. Everything else would be cheerfully more than I need…

get 1tb

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hasturtium posted:

I have the base model M1 Max Studio with the storage upgraded to 1TB and it’s one of the best computers I’ve owned. I expect to get at least 5 years out of it which is why I bumped up the storage.

My understanding is the M2 model has removed the slight noise the cooling system makes when idle and has added HDMI 2.1. I’d definitely expect one to last a long time as a regular computer and then be a good HTPC option later on (since it can do 4k/120Hz or 8k/60Hz through the HDMI) so I’d be upgrading the storage like Ok Comboomer said.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

Hasturtium posted:

When you trace it back, the trash can is really the core impetus for what we have today where Apple controls the silicon, they don’t have to abide by the whims of say, Intel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hockenheim posted:

When you trace it back, the trash can is really the core impetus for what we have today where Apple controls the silicon, they don’t have to abide by the whims of say, Intel.

Apple made a whole bunch of prototype laptops with AMD Bulldozer architecture chips and mobos in the early 2010s, that run MacOS and everything, as “engineering tests”.

This much is known/confirmed to be true after years of speculation and rumor, and a single digit number of working AMD MacBooks have made it out of Apple and onto the internet/into the hands of deep-pocketed collectors over more recent years

I use “engineering tests” in quotes because the other, slightly less officially confirmed but very well-corroborated rumor is that these were less about seriously exploring new design options and mainly used in meetings between Tim/Apple C-suite and Intel C-suite as a threat, like “don’t think we can’t/won’t replace you as a hardware partner”. The story goes that a particular conversation between Tim/co. and some Intel execs broke down so badly that they had engineers come in and literally drop the prototypes on the table in front of them and power them on like some kind of melodramatic movie scene

Unfortunately for Apple (or I guess especially AMD) at the time, Bulldozer was such a flop that Intel pretty easily called their bluff and was basically like “okay go for it. Try to build a competitive MacBook Air around that dogshit”. And by the time Ryzen was really landing and restoring AMD’s reputation Apple was already hard at work on M-series and “Apple working on desktop-spec ARM” was regularly pinging the rumor mills

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For a desktop like the Studio, upgrading the storage is less essential because it's not really a big annoyance leaving a fast external SSD permanently attached like it is with a laptop

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Now that I’ve purchased mine I can share that 15” MacBook Airs are on the refurb store but are only filterable by year and colour. Also Apple friends and family discount stacks on refurbs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i have a dual 2.5in drive raid 0 thunderbolt 2 connected to mine lol. spinning rust but fine for basic bitch storage

i do need to put some ssds in there at some point tho. it’s a very nice little old wd unit

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to tell if a 2018 mini has 10Gb Eth from just external photos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there any way to tell if a 2018 mini has 10Gb Eth from just external photos?

If you can make out the serial number, yes.

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 8, 2023