Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Fall Dog posted:

This reminded me of the Toyota TJ Cruiser concept van, which would be excellent if they decided to make it (and as an EV).

Somebody designed the totally normal and practical minivan, and then put it on 25 inch wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Put in an order for a EX30, which would be our first fully electric car. Price range was just right, and wife fell in love with the design. Wondering whether 10% cost increase to go the Ultra trim makes sense just for a panoramic roof, electric seats and 360 cameras, but I'm leaning no so far.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

:getin:

It doesn't say if it meets the kei class requirements and I can't be bothered to investigate but it does look small enough.

https://electrek.co/2023/09/29/honda-unveils-10k-electric-n-van-e-130-mile-range-v2h/

More important than that, does a mattress fit back there? because it sure looks like it does

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If that’s like the Honda Element I remember that had some really low load limit for passengers and cargo, like 800lbs, which is like 3 average Americans. Probably due to lack of B pillar support.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably because they were making negative money on the car previously

I wonder if they're trying to avoid being too harshly punished by the EUs anti-subsidy investigation now that they've got a foothold in the market. https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-von-der-leyen-anti-subsidy-investigation-into-chinese-e-cars/

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Sitting in a Nissan dealership, getting the old Frontier serviced. Will test drive an Arya and whatever Leaf is still on the lot.

The Arya in the showroom is $63K without dealer markup.

Gotta imagine they're not selling many. Not really a knock on the car, it looks nice enough, just holy cow, that price is brutal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Fuckit, doing bikechat

I'm not getting the new one that just got announced, I'm going to get one of the last of the 2023's so I wont get the more gravel focused and slightly more powerful motor. I'm fine with more road focused and less assist, the present model already is plenty for a rider like me to let rip fast. The only real issue I had was the low speed limit for assist that I only really noticed on a earlier model Levo as the cut was really abrupt. On a new Levo (e-MTB) it's a softer cut and I tend to find myself riding at close to 30kph without really noticing the motor is no longer assisting.

The Creo above has a Planet3 speed sensor hack so it's more like 35 kph to no assistance and that makes it a reaaaally fast bike, gets me up to speed and I can just sit it at 38ish kph so thats something I intend to do as well as a battery extender for when I get mine.

This breed of pedal assist / torque add mid drive are brilliant bikes, being able to get out and ride hard isnt something I managed for a few years since I broke my collarbone in four places and it's been fantastic for my brain to get 80kph fast and sweating like crazy

(e-Bikes like the Creo dont make it easier, they just make it faster and in some respects are harder to ride fast because they are heavy. Still not as full bore quick as my analogue Venge at full send but very few bikes actually are)

I've ridden a few spezzy ebikes and they're brilliant machines. Even powered down with no assist I can ride the carbon creo at 20mph easier than my carbon mtb at 15mph...
Please do a update on your ownership experience. Thoughts on the regular tcu vs mastermind tcu? I haven't seen many failures of either system yet, just the early future shock. People seem to really love the e-assist system.
Here they're rated for up to 28mph/45kph without an unlock which is brilliant for commuting and other shenanigans.
Hilarity is that they make like half the torque of my liter sized dirtbike.

For the cost of a used leaf it's a much better buy than a leaf imo.

The "range extender" is this bottle shaped thing that goes in the cage that plugs into the charging socket. It's all 48V and doesn't seem to give a gently caress about the details like Coulomb counting. A selling point for me would be to buy the alloy then build a pop in battery that fills the frame triangle for a rude amount of range or towing capacity with duty cycle rivaling that of a superduty

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 3, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

Are DIN radios still a thing? Can’t remember the last time I have seen a car with one, EV or not.

Most chinese imports do have 2din units, also a lot of late 2000s cars have conversion kits from their OEM dash to 2din to fit an android head instead. I think the cut off period is late 2010, where the infotainment started being a tablet bolted in the car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Failson posted:

Sitting in a Nissan dealership, getting the old Frontier serviced. Will test drive an Arya and whatever Leaf is still on the lot.

The Arya in the showroom is $63K without dealer markup.

Gotta imagine they're not selling many. Not really a knock on the car, it looks nice enough, just holy cow, that price is brutal.

I saw this tweet and my first thought wasn’t “oh poo poo, Big Three CEO pay is insanely high compared to the rest of the industry”

it was “I’m not sure that Nissan should really be paying their CEO double what Honda does”

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I never understood these arguments. Let's take Ford, with $21mil, which is a lot, I'll admit. But Ford is a big company: Google has Ford with 186,000 employees.

If we fire the CEO and split that salary up equally, then everyone at the company gets an extra $112.90 per year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
weird to leave off Matthias Mueller (~$12M), the CEO of the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in the world.

also calling Stellantis a US automaker is... an interesting choice. Less than half of Stellantis' revenue comes from North America, it's a Dutch headquartered company, and the head guy is a European living in Europe.

Kill and eat the rich, and obviously workers should be compensated more, but I think scale of auto OEMs just kind of breaks peoples' minds. If I took Stellantis' total employees and reduce Tavares' pay to Honda levels, freeing 22 million dollars in salary, and distribute it evenly among stellantis' 272,000 global employees, everyone will get 80 dollars.

e:f,b by Cruft. at least I chose a different company.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ok Comboomer posted:

I saw this tweet and my first thought wasn’t “oh poo poo, Big Three CEO pay is insanely high compared to the rest of the industry”

it was “I’m not sure that Nissan should really be paying their CEO double what Honda does”

Those figures probably omit tens of millions each in stock grants, options, deferred comp, perks and countless other arcane comp structures that only c levels get. Like when a ceo publicly cuts their salary to $1 doesn't everyone know that that's complete bullshit by now?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Also, there's not just the ceo making huge bucks while the rest of the c suite and upper management have modest salaries. Something to keep in mind if the argument is splitting just the ceo's salary to every employee wouldn't change very much; the ceo is just shorthand for the upper levels of the organization, all grossly overcompensated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s an easy thing to point out the ridiculous CEO pay for soundbites that’s why it happens. More pointing out the systemic issues rather than a straight up should have this divvied up among employees.

I wonder if the rest of the executive pay at a certain level follows, like are senior VPs/Directors also getting millions upon millions? How top heavy is the payscale? ^^ exactly this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

I never understood these arguments. Let's take Ford, with $21mil, which is a lot, I'll admit. But Ford is a big company: Google has Ford with 186,000 employees.

If we fire the CEO and split that salary up equally, then everyone at the company gets an extra $112.90 per year.

Sounds good to me. Maybe a CEO shouldn’t be getting any money until every one of their employees makes a living comfortable wage? Hell, make it a law that a CEO only gets to earn what the lowest earner in the company makes. gently caress em.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

Pretty sure it’s a shorthand for other kinds of executive and shareholder compensation/profit division/etc at the expense of worker salary or job security, etc

Pretty sure that former labor secretary, member of three presidential administrations, and professor of economic policy at UC Berkeley, Harvard, and Brandeis Robert Reich knows how corporations work

But leave it to EV Thread to “well actually…” criticisms about rich people getting paid too much while paying their employees too little. Just a bunch of Three Oliveses pretending that they’re better than the OG but they’re really not

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Jay Leno drives the Tesla Semi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKySYs-hCg

He obviously doesn't know a thing about trucking and isn't really a critic but he's the first "outsider" I've seen have a go in one.

Nothing really new or unexpected that I noticed. I still have no idea why that cab needs to be that large if it doesn't have a sleeper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Those figures probably omit tens of millions each in stock grants, options, deferred comp, perks and countless other arcane comp structures that only c levels get. Like when a ceo publicly cuts their salary to $1 doesn't everyone know that that's complete bullshit by now?

That's total comp not just salary, at least for Mueller. Includes all the weird stuff.

priznat posted:

It’s an easy thing to point out the ridiculous CEO pay for soundbites that’s why it happens. More pointing out the systemic issues rather than a straight up should have this divvied up among employees.

I wonder if the rest of the executive pay at a certain level follows, like are senior VPs/Directors also getting millions upon millions? How top heavy is the payscale? ^^ exactly this

It's kind of interesting. Auto people don't make FAANG money or anything like that at a senior level. A million or two is pretty accurate for direct reports that have a huge span of control and responsibility.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

On second thought, naw.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 3, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

But leave it to EV Thread to “well actually…” criticisms about rich people getting paid too much while paying their employees too little. Just a bunch of Three Oliveses pretending that they’re better than the OG but they’re really not

settle down

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

cruft posted:

CEO Pay is the easiest thing to point to because it's obviously unfair, so it makes a good propaganda piece, but in reality, if you want to soak the rich to improve the lives of those at the bottom of the company you want to slash things like stock grants, stock buybacks, and executive pay across the board.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

Supersized CEO pay is emblematic of too-high executive compensation practices in general, and the CEO is not the only executive at the company. hth

Ok Comboomer posted:

Eat a dick

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol call somebody “a Three Olives” and the claws really come out

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The post you were responding to was pretty innocuous but boy you sure owned the EV thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The post you were responding to was pretty innocuous but boy you sure owned the EV thread

my post was pretty innocuous too but leave it to SA’s wildlife refuge of resident Tesla owners to go DEFCON 1 butthurt at the drop of a hat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If i wanted to don the tinfoil hat, the lower ceo wages for Japanese brands is a post Ghosn change to avoid looking bad at the investor meetings.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If i wanted to don the tinfoil hat, the lower ceo wages for Japanese brands is a post Ghosn change to avoid looking bad at the investor meetings.

I think Americans also just use money as a proxy for power and status in a way that Japanese executives at well-established megacorps probably don’t

Like the whole corporate culture and structure is such that you can simultaneously make way less money and still wield more power and command more respect than a comparable US executive

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

my post was pretty innocuous too but leave it to SA’s wildlife refuge of resident Tesla owners to go DEFCON 1 butthurt at the drop of a hat

people in a generally left-leaning forum get really pissed when you accuse them of being shills for the rich? that's not very surprising, don't go all :monocle: at the lack of decorum in people's reactions

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No three olives. No three olives. You’re the three olives. No, you’re the three olives.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

No three olives. No three olives. You’re the three olives. No, you’re the three olives.

we’re all yelling at those kids when we post

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Freezer posted:

Put in an order for a EX30, which would be our first fully electric car. Price range was just right, and wife fell in love with the design. Wondering whether 10% cost increase to go the Ultra trim makes sense just for a panoramic roof, electric seats and 360 cameras, but I'm leaning no so far.

So what’s the commitment of an order? Do you have to put some non refundable money down?

Because you haven’t been able to test drive it yet, right?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bus posting.

I told a co-worker I was on a thing with wheels that go round and round, round and round, round and round. She had no idea what I meant.

Kids today indeed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

The issue is more that execs/ CEO pay keeps climbing to utterly absurd levels while their workers get underpaid and are being pressured to work harder while their pay is being shredded by inflation. Sure it wouldnt give everyone a lot to split up unjust compensation of the C-Suite (no one is worth 10 figure salaries, full stop and high 9 figure is clearly bullshit too) but exec pay being eyebleeding and seemingly immune to being reined in while workers get poo poo is the problem that Reich is highlighting

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The issue is more that execs/ CEO pay keeps climbing to utterly absurd levels while their workers get underpaid and are being pressured to work harder while their pay is being shredded by inflation. Sure it wouldnt give everyone a lot to split up unjust compensation of the C-Suite (no one is worth 10 figure salaries, full stop and high 9 figure is clearly bullshit too) but exec pay being eyebleeding and seemingly immune to being reined in while workers get poo poo is the problem that Reich is highlighting

Yeah, I'm sorry I made that post. Clearly the US has a problem with income inequality and economic mobility across the country, not just in automotive manufacturing, although that's what we're currently talking about at the national level. It really was a "well actually" even if the way I said it could have been interpreted at naïvete. I'm kinda glad I got gently called out.

It didn't really feel like the thread flew off the rails or anything, though. Y'all are a nice group to post with, thanks for indulging me in being an idiot from time to time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
How dare someone call us three olives.

I'm at least worth four olives

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I make an olive and my boss makes three, that's why he drives the mustang mach e

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Huge lol to whining about legacy automaker CEO compensation in relation to worker compensation in the EV thread.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Honky Mao posted:

I make an olive and my boss makes three, that's why he drives the mustang mach e

lmao

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Honky Mao posted:

Wait what’s the character limit on thread titles again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So what’s the commitment of an order? Do you have to put some non refundable money down?

Because you haven’t been able to test drive it yet, right?

I put it early enough that it's fully refundable, around 2.8k USD. Free wall charger too. (Note: I don't live in the US right now)

Edit: I got to drive around a XC40 which, granted, is a lot more expensive as a car, but I liked the feel of driving it a lot.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2023