Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
buddy my gmail has marked google emails as spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

same, a brand new paid workspace account did this with their welcome emails a few years ago.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

and it was correct in doing so :hai:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sb hermit posted:

do I look like I know what a jpeg is???

yes

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

sb hermit posted:

do I look like I know what a jpeg is???

it's pronounced "jpig"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2023/q3/259

quote:

Hi,

The ZDI reached out multiple times to the developers regarding multiple bug reports with little progress to show for it. After our disclosure timeline was exceeded by many months, we notified the maintainer of our intent to publicly disclose these bugs, at which time we were told, "you do what you do." If these bugs have been appropriately addressed, we will update our advisories with a link to the security advisory, code check-in, or other public documentation closing the issue.

Thanks,
The ZDI
fwiw Exim dev claims "We asked about details but didn't get answers we were able to work with"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jay pig

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2023/q3/259

fwiw Exim dev claims "We asked about details but didn't get answers we were able to work with"
"do I look like I know what a trailing backslash is?!"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Buck Turgidson posted:

email is a cobbled together pos

Slash Makes Terrible Problems

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

justcallhimdragon posted:

it's pronounced "jpig"

gah-pig

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

here's a fun privesc:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Glibc-LD-Nasty-Root-Bug

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

no thank you

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Could you kindly not?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like mjg59's suggestion that C programs should shell out to Perl to safely parse strings.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

1password is still Fine right, like i know some people in this thread were complaining about them switching to a dumb rent-seeking subscription model but other than that it's still Fine? my mom Read Some Article about how she should be using a password manager (and specifically asked about 1password) and that finally made her want one when all my yapping never did

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
1p is great and it has passkey support now. the monthly cost is a bit much but if you're sharing it with family that makes it more worth it.

now that icloud has shared pw support i plan on looking into that because aside from shared passwords there's not much i need from a pwm, but i'm not exactly in a hurry to do so

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah 1password is fine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

except whoops gmail buried it in the spam folder like everything else that wasn’t sent from gmail, so it may technically have been delivered but it might as well not have been
this is why nobody uses google for email anymore, never mind anything actually important

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

1p is great and it has passkey support now. the monthly cost is a bit much but if you're sharing it with family that makes it more worth it.

now that icloud has shared pw support i plan on looking into that because aside from shared passwords there's not much i need from a pwm, but i'm not exactly in a hurry to do so

thanks, that's what i thought but i've never used it myself and just wanted to make sure there hadn't been an intervening revelation that actually It Sucks Now or whatever

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Truga posted:

this is why nobody uses google for email anymore, never mind anything actually important

As someone who's stuck with Gmail out of inertia, what are the thread recommend email providers these days?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:shrug: gmail works fine for me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i use exchange online, but i feel like someone is going to recommend roundcube and postfix

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

exim

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh no, I'm not joining another cult!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

does this one have brand recognition

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

does this one have brand recognition

all sizzle, no steak

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i hear good things. it even doubles as a remote access solution

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

rent-seeking

rent-seeking is not an accurate term for what 1password is doing wrt business models.

as a password manager, it's fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
People were worried because AgileBits got bought by private equity a few years ago. So far it's been fine though. Enshittification is inevitable for any application, but 1P seems to have decent export support to whatever's next.
The pro move is to get your company to adopt it then employees (you) get 1P for families for free.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

rent-seeking is not an accurate term for what 1password is doing wrt business models.

as a password manager, it's fine.

i thought people were complaining a while back cuz they were pushing people onto their cloud sync thing and off of the old thing you could just sync yourself, so you'd have to pay the monthly fee. i guess that's not exactly rent-seeking but it seems adjacent, idk

either way it's like, thirty bucks a year so whatever

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

As someone who's stuck with Gmail out of inertia, what are the thread recommend email providers these days?

I've heard good things about Fastmail.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

trashy owl posted:

I've heard good things about Fastmail.

i use fastmail and think that it is worth it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dpkg chopra posted:

Those are user labelled and you bet i label every welcome and pointless service email as spam

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

1password is still Fine right, like i know some people in this thread were complaining about them switching to a dumb rent-seeking subscription model but other than that it's still Fine? my mom Read Some Article about how she should be using a password manager (and specifically asked about 1password) and that finally made her want one when all my yapping never did

yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truga posted:

lol, lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

what do you use?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

fastmail. also has calendaring/notes/contacts. arbitrary number of domains. optional static file/site hosting on your domain(s). works with stock ios mail/calendar/notes/contacts apps, while the web version is better than google's

i pay for it in 3y increments and get a bulk rate of $3.19/mo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i also have a protonmail account for consulting stuff and its an expensive pita in comparison. in return for paying more, you have to use their app which is slow as poo poo and frequently doesnt notify on new messages. they only have calendaring on the web, with no calendar in the poo poo app. a real pain for consulting stuff! oh and the web ui takes roughly 5 years to connect/login (every loving time)/load

when migrating from gmail to fastmail, i had just started up thunderbird and connected it to both accounts, then dragged everything from the gmail account to the fastmail account. worked great at the time, years ago. i don't know if this is even possible with protonmail since "for security" they're all walled garden wrt access to your data

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

I like mjg59's suggestion that C programs should shell out to Perl to safely parse strings.
jail for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

what do you use?
at work i fairly recently moved to 365 and it's also poo poo but notably less so because it works pretty okay with AD
more random glitches/downtimes than when we had on-prem exchange which somehow survived 12 years of constant-on with zero issues, but otoh i can just shrug and pretend it's not my problem when it happens

i do keep a postfix running though, because a bunch of mail poo poo still flies into jira and similar bullshit services and it's easier to route all "unknown" mail from 365 to that and then work from there than setting up separate rules for a bunch of mailboxes through their stupid web/powershell interfaces