Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

plogo posted:

So this is a general poll, rather than a poll of businesses & rich people, but I do not think much progress has been made in terms of convincing the country that the Republican are a threat to the economy.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4235353-gop-holds-edge-in-new-poll-on-safeguarding-prosperity-military-security/

(Polling from gallup)

"Fifty-three percent of respondents said the GOP would do a better job at keeping the country prosperous over the next few years, compared to the Democrats’ 39 percent. The 14-point advantage is the widest gap on the question since mid-1991. It also is up from the 10-point gap last year. "

I would love to hear what policies these people think the GOP has that would make this country more economically prosperous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ColdPie posted:

So like, businesses & rich people fund Republican campaigns because their policies are more immediately profitable than Democratic policies, right? At what point does antics like this and shutdowns start to cost them more than Democratic policies do? Wrecking the US's international credibility and interrupting basic government services that everyone depends on has to start impacting business bottom lines sometime, right? How bad does it have to get before they stop paying for Republican campaigns?

This story has played out over and over in history. This is the lurching transformation into Frankenstein's Monster they've spent decades building. Capital sides with the fascists until the fascists get power. Then they enact the hatred that was all they really cared about in the first place and capital finds out they were never an ally, just a little lower on the target list.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

A Republican taking maternity leave is like a vegetarian having a steak dinner.
Rules for thee but none for etc. etc.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mustang posted:

I would love to hear what policies these people think the GOP has that would make this country more economically prosperous.

I would like to think that most people will always say that the party they identify with is always right regardless of question. In other words, polling results for questions like this are pretty much nonsense because people lie to pollsters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://x.com/MZanona/status/1709321950470762756?s=20

These freaks as a force are hopefully gone too with the GOP leaving en masse.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nonsense posted:

And yet they could solve a lot of problems by voting for Jeffries.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

James Garfield posted:

When you say "businesses and rich people" think more family owned business (Uihleins, Ron Johnson, local car dealership chains) than huge financial institutions. Someone like Romney will occasionally support good policy on line-go-up grounds, but that part of the party is disappearing.

This is why there was so much money pouring towards Desantes and anyone who could be GOP but not Trump. The actual billionaires have realized they lost control of the GOP to the millionaire gentry/petite bourgeoisie, who are even more crazy and fascist than they are. Of course, the billionaires are plenty authoritarian and bigoted, but the gentry are on average even more authoritarian and even more bigoted, to the point where it's actively making the line-go-down.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

By default congress becomes a Spirit Halloween store

I get that today isn't a great time but it's no longer Summer and we could use a new Fall-themed thread title

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Nonsense posted:

Once again the wheel of Republicans bitching about Democrats not fixing their dumpster fires turns like fuckin clockwork.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Oh hey they solved their first problem ever.

Robviously posted:

Once again the wheel of Republicans bitching about Democrats not fixing their dumpster fires turns like fuckin clockwork.

https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/status/1709309301448208470

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/1709316713278312798

Never before has someone done the Eric Andre shooting Hannibal meme harder

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

So like, businesses & rich people fund Republican campaigns because their policies are more immediately profitable than Democratic policies, right? At what point does antics like this and shutdowns start to cost them more than Democratic policies do? Wrecking the US's international credibility and interrupting basic government services that everyone depends on has to start impacting business bottom lines sometime, right? How bad does it have to get before they stop paying for Republican campaigns?

It's easy to forget, but the majority of House Republicans did vote to keep the government open. It's just a handful of people causing this mess. And the House always has a handful of fringe dumbasses, because it's relatively cheap and easy to win a single district. It's just that the GOP margin is so thin that it actually matters. If the GOP had twenty more seats than they do right now, Gaetz would probably be powerless.

Also, a lot of these rich donors aren't just in it for low taxes and union-busting - they really do believe in right-wing social policy. Of course, many of them have also personally invested in businesses that would benefit from these right-wing social policies, so it's hard to distinguish. For example, Gaetz's brother-in-law is a billionaire GOP megadonor who owns a defense contractor that makes border surveillance devices for catching illegal border crossings.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/RepLuna/status/1709310697060855907

First public demand has been made (she didn't vote today because she's out on maternity leave so seems like there would actually have been 9 votes against McCarthy, she's returning now)

Have fun being in the minority on every vote until somebody that is not your candidate ends up with the job then I guess. Like man these MAGA's really unironically genuinely think that they have the majority of the populations support and that most people outside of their shitheel "own the libs" voting districts are even remotely into any of their antics.

Mustang posted:

Own the libs?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Every news story that refers to him as Rep. Kevin McCarthy is a balm to my soul that I didn't know I needed.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Kale posted:

Have fun being in the minority on every vote until somebody that is not your candidate ends up with the job then I guess. Like man these MAGA's really unironically genuinely think that they have the majority of the populations support and that most people outside of their shitheel "own the libs" voting districts are even remotely into any of their antics.

Their strategy is break everything enough until they can wiggle a way into power through everyone else keeping their powder dry forever. Or break things until the next chance to use actual violence to take over. It's a bad and literally treasonous strategy, but they don't care they will try anything to get what they want.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
“Really, it’s the fault of the people who told us NOT to get the face-eating leopard pet! That they allowed us to get a leopard that ate our faces off is ridiculous!”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709340207206551851

Utterly cooked. Will Jake Sherman now remora himself to Steve Scalise?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess even a humiliation fetish has to have some breaking point

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo, if that's true then the house GOP is really really hosed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I mean, I wouldn’t trust him about that either. Of course what it really means is that he doesn’t have the votes and there’s no reason to expect he’d ever get them at this point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

zoux posted:

Hahahaha oh gently caress me, the only way this whole thing was even remotely in the realm of sanity was is if the Leopard Caucas made him eat poo poo, got some concessions, and then voted McCarthy back in, if he isn't down for the humiliation then it all falls apart. The House is about to enter the Cool Zone.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Gaetz has said he’d be fine with Scalise, right? Is there any reason to think he won’t just get voted in?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

zoux posted:

i really thought he was gonna just come back by default because who the gently caress else would even want to run for this let alone actually get enough votes to win, now i'm really not sure what will happen but whatever does, it'll be fuckin hilarious

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Scalise seems in the realm of possibility. Stefanik has been angling for leadership roles for awhile but I'd expect the right has the same set of problems with her they had with McCarthy. Jim Jordan probably apt to float his name like a turd in a punch bowl.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Really funny to me that as his final act, McCarthy gave his entire speech notes to Jake Sherman

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1709341025934753836?s=46

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
LMAO, Republicans are announcing that the House is going into recess until next Tuesday Wednesday, and thats assuming they can have a candidate by then

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Scags McDouglas posted:

Ugh, I've actually met this person a few times. Trump train, First-Middle-Last train, and literally does the looks-good-in-yoga-pants strategy outside of polling stations to secure votes.

Basically shove MTG into a vat and push the "Younger, hispanic, vet" button and here you go.

what the gently caress?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Imagine being taken out by Matt Gaetz lmao

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kale posted:

One of the points that gets raised in the new Folding Ideas video is that conspiracy theorists always massively overestimate the size of their own movement. It's why the first thing Trump did when he got in office was lie about the crowd size of his inauguration. "There are more of us then there are of you" is a foundational lie for conspiratorially-minded fascists of all stripes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo, if that's true then the house GOP is really really hosed.

Great congress the American people elected this session. Hakeem Jeffries actually seems like he'd make a fairly competent and decent house speaker, but nope gotta always and forever default to the GOP for government and leave it up to them to not poo poo the bed entirely in the MAGA era.

Froghammer posted:

One of the points that gets raised in the new Folding Ideas video is that conspiracy theorists always massively overestimate the size of their own movement. It's why the first thing Trump did when he got in office was lie about the crowd size of his inauguration. "There are more of us then there are of you" is a foundational lie for conspiratorially-minded fascists of all stripes.

It's undeniable that at the very least QAnon has evolved from a fringe conspiracy to an important belief system of a non-insignificant chunk of the GOP electorate, particularly in Florida and bordering states it seems. What they do miss though is that they are insanely far from the majority of the American public and it's belief systems, but it has definitely grown in size and scope and sadly has to be taken somewhat seriously as an electoral force, tactic and belief system of at least one major political party.

That said I don't see how this reflects on the GOP to the general public as making them look like anything but a bunch of petty grievance mongering deeply unserious hacks or makes them look like a worthwhile option to vote into government for anybody other than the MAGA Chuds. The U.S hasn't really had anything that I can call a serious government in loving years with the closest thing being the brief trifectas the Democrats enjoyed under Obama and Biden which they failed to capitalize on adequately, and this is but the latest chapter in that saga. Even the trifecta GOP government was still at odds with itself, that's how dedicated this party is to settling personal scores and talking poo poo over actual governing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 4, 2023

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

LMAO, Republicans are announcing that the House is going into recess until next Tuesday Wednesday, and thats assuming they can have a candidate by then

TBH if I also could vote out my boss and take a week off I would.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

So I guess that means that Congress is essentially going to be doing nothing (well more than usual) until next Tuesday?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

So was all that laughing and “come on and try it then” poo poo just a bluff, or is he a colossal moron?

I know, I know, por que no los dos

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Tayter Swift posted:

I get that today isn't a great time but it's no longer Summer and we could use a new Fall-themed thread title

Piles of fallen Speakers all over the yard

E: We need to (not) talk about Kevin

E2: The Ousting of Kevin Mcarthy By The Coward Matt Gaetz

Ulta fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 4, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As with Dobbs, the GOP has now caught the car by accident and are now unbelievably hosed.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You know, I think I'm getting tired of living in interesting times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has this happened in any other countries in the last 25 years? Like not even regional powers or whatever, but like any loving countries with legislatures in this century? This seems like a profound systems failure.

Kale
May 14, 2010

zoux posted:

As with Dobbs, the GOP has now caught the car by accident and are now unbelievably hosed.

They've done that several times in the last 8 years too. The party is demonstrably incompetent and baleful as a political force, keeps getting voted into at least one of the 3 main power structures in Washington most elections and continues to poo poo the bed and be absolutely good for nothing with no consequences. Accountability left American politics decades ago.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Has this happened in any other countries in the last 25 years? Like not even regional powers or whatever, but like any loving countries with legislatures in this century? This seems like a profound systems failure.

I feel like in most countries you actually kind of need a supermajority to achieve what just happened here. The U.S is rather unique in the amount of outsized power and influence it seems to constantly award MAGA chuds in it's power sharing agreements and legislatures. It feels like one Republican counts for every 2 Democrats practically every congress even when they are in the minority, and like every MAGA Chud R might as well count for 30 or so of every other type of politician in congress in the same scenario. Can't vote guys like Gaetz out either because their districts loving love them and vote for them for precisely the kinds of things they are doing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 4, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

You're not gonna find 1:1 comparisons because nobody else has a legislature like this, but parliamentary leaders getting forced out with no-confidence votes is hardly uncommon.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Israel might be the prime example but there're plenty of other countries that replace their whole government on a dime. We end up stuck with the same dipshits here, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

More or less not that uncommon.

Most countries are parliamentary though. The typical response to something like this where no group can actually form a governing majority is snap elections and a new legislature.

The in-the-meantime behavior is also usually a caretaker government that keeps the status quo, not shutdown or explode

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 4, 2023