Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

the_steve posted:

He does the same thing that any good cult leader does; He starts off small, eases you in with stuff that DOES make sense and is plausible to believe, and then works you up to the batshit portions of the ideology while still centered around that sensible core.

There are many a number of points between "you are unsatisfied with your life and want an outlet for your frustration" and "that's why we should blow up all the credit card buildings."

When does the nonsensical part start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When you're asked to live like a crustpunk without any of the sex

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Probably the bit where they make soap out of liposuction waste, that's where you should really start asking yourself some questions

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Asterite34 posted:

Probably the bit where they make soap out of liposuction waste, that's where you should really start asking yourself some questions

Small business ventures are the backbone of America

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Asterite34 posted:

Waste not want not

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"Selling people their discarded body products back at a premium" is pure capitalist thought, Durden tried to fit in.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
The Cherry Poppin Daddies :confuoot:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Old Surly posted:

I hadn’t thought about them in a long while, but Jesus Christ that name.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Old Surly posted:

You mean to tell me rock stars were the real groomers?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

big mean giraffe posted:

You mean to tell me rock stars were the real groomers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9awpv5BnSc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Byzantine posted:

Gotta make sure the CEOs and other execs are still in the buildings while everyone else is out

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
This thread made me watch Fight Club tonight. I expected to see a story about how men who feel left behind by the hell world we live in turn to extremism but all I got was a crippling fear of gas explosions and airplane crashes.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

emSparkly posted:

This thread made me watch Fight Club tonight. I expected to see a story about how men who feel left behind by the hell world we live in turn to extremism but all I got was a crippling fear of gas explosions and airplane crashes.

Fight Club is a comedy. It's crazy that anyone could take some great message from it, because it's all so silly and a bigger fantasy than Star Wars. But I really like it, it takes that late 90's-Radiohead-technofear-grimdark-end of history thing and puts a bunch of idiots in it, bumbling around in dumpsters and alleyways and incompetently beating each other up.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Chrpno posted:

Fight Club is a comedy. It's crazy that anyone could take some great message from it, because it's all so silly and a bigger fantasy than Star Wars. But I really like it, it takes that late 90's-Radiohead-technofear-grimdark-end of history thing and puts a bunch of idiots in it, bumbling around in dumpsters and alleyways and incompetently beating each other up.

On the one hand it's aged so well it hurts. We sorta have Fight Club and Project Mayhem and Tyler Durden IRL but we know them as 4chan, the proud boys, and Andrew Tate.

On the other hand there's a scene where Ed Norton beats himself up like that one part in SpongeBob where Patrick loses a fight on purpose, and it's very funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The trick is that toxic masculinity is stupid, absurd and ridiculous while also being horrifying and ubiquitous, and there's still not good or easy answers to it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is that toxic masculinity is stupid, absurd and ridiculous while also being horrifying and ubiquitous, and there's still not good or easy answers to it.

what do you think estrogen is for

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the bigger problems in responding to fascism is that it’s stupid and silly beyond belief. And yet it’s dangerous and has to be taken seriously.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

It really does nail that dichotomy. Even when people are getting killed and poo poo the wannabe skinheads are all giggling like the larping nerds they really are and repeating their dumb little catchphrases.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
john Mulaney came up with a great metaphor for fascists in power when Trump was president - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhkZMxgPxXU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Drug abuser John Mulaney was hilarious. It’s good he kicked the habit but it’s also a shame.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emSparkly posted:

It's because the movie thankfully doesn't have that much sympathy/empathy for these dudes, it just gives them a leash to make their case and has them be their best argument against themselves. It's a wonderfully made piece.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Drug abuser John Mulaney was hilarious. It’s good he kicked the habit but it’s also a shame.

? He relapsed in 2020.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

pentyne posted:

? He relapsed in 2020.

He then had an intervention, unless he relapsed again since his latest special. He has a new special on Netflix from a few months ago talking openly about it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I liked his new special, he just traded in the coked up zaniness for self deprecation and still works for me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Y-zoXN1pY

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

He then had an intervention, unless he relapsed again since his latest special. He has a new special on Netflix from a few months ago talking openly about it.

no i mean at no point was he putting out specials while he was using, the relapse according to him started during early 2020 covid shutdowns

there's several interviews/podcasts/talk show appearances where people are convinced he was high as poo poo but otherwise he wasn't doing much comedy

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seriously,_Dude,_I%27m_Gay

I'm not sure a reality show where two straight dudes pretend to be gay was ever gonna age well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Violet_Sky posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seriously,_Dude,_I%27m_Gay

I'm not sure a reality show where two straight dudes pretend to be gay was ever gonna age well.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_IYrltqYrU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

emSparkly posted:

On the one hand it's aged so well it hurts. We sorta have Fight Club and Project Mayhem and Tyler Durden IRL but we know them as 4chan, the proud boys, and Andrew Tate.

On the other hand there's a scene where Ed Norton beats himself up like that one part in SpongeBob where Patrick loses a fight on purpose, and it's very funny.

Fight Club is based on the cacophony society which is fairly left leaning as a whole but does have some libertarian tech bro membership. I don’t think they beat each other up though, that was Chuck Palalananauk’s homoerotic male bonding fantasy. Of course IRL it would have been over in a few weeks when someone dies.

I haven’t been able to take the movie seriously after getting old and getting my war and depression listening to Jack monologue about the awful life of a man who got a business degree, stable job, and through his own lack of discipline becomes a depressed insomniac ultra-consumer.

Also the part where a dehydrated peak brad pit comments on masculine body imagery in advertising.

I still like the movie but I can’t think too hard about what’s going on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

Fight Club is based on the cacophony society which is fairly left leaning as a whole but does have some libertarian tech bro membership. I don’t think they beat each other up though, that was Chuck Palalananauk’s homoerotic male bonding fantasy. Of course IRL it would have been over in a few weeks when someone dies.

I haven’t been able to take the movie seriously after getting old and getting my war and depression listening to Jack monologue about the awful life of a man who got a business degree, stable job, and through his own lack of discipline becomes a depressed insomniac ultra-consumer.

Also the part where a dehydrated peak brad pit comments on masculine body imagery in advertising.

I still like the movie but I can’t think too hard about what’s going on.

There’s a reason so many people in the late 90s made movies about how capitalism causes spiritual death and loss of meaning, and that further present widespread spiritual death or loss of meaning as related to the end of the world and the collapse of society. They may not have been able to imagine an alternative to the end of the world, as the man said, but it’s no surprise that so many people could only imagine the end of history era as ultimately collapsing or exploding as its inherent contradictions became manifest. I’d put the X-Files in that category, and Metal Gear Solid II, and maybe like the Ninth Gate or American Psycho. The Matrix has already been discussed.

Some of the focus on the collapse of civilization was simple millenarianism, and some was just trend-jumping, but the film of the era knows something real is wrong and that they’re living in a negative peace that will explode. It wasn’t a comfortable time because people had a sense it wouldn’t last, even if they couldn’t articulate why. A lot of art from that time has some idea that everyone is living on the precipice of something terrible, which was true. It really couldn’t last.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some of the most financially successful movies have been about the negative aspects of capitalism.

Makes ya think

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oldpainless posted:

Some of the most financially successful movies have been about the negative aspects of capitalism.

Makes ya think

According to a certain SA poster I believe you mean "some of the objectively best movies," chief.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I believe in the theory that Marla Singer represents the narrator's feminine side, as Tyler Durden represents their masculine side. She is just as much in the narrator's head as Tyler is; nobody in the movie interacts with her other than the narrator and Tyler; not the men of Project Mayhem, not the people in the testicular cancer support group, nobody.

There's a lot of focus on body modification (e.g. liposuction), especially testicles and castration (e.g. the testicular cancer support group, the scene where Tyler threatens to cut off the rich dude's balls). The constant bit about "I am Jack's [organ]" is the narrator obsessing about their body. And of course there's Robert Paulson, the guy with "bitch tits".

So yeah, Fight Club is, according to this interpretation, an allegory about the narrator being transgender. Their middle-class ennui is rooted in dysphoria, but they don't realize it. They search around desperately for the problem, attending support groups for lots of different things to try and find someone else to confide in, but it doesn't work for very long - their feminine side, Marla, keeps popping up. Because of the transphobia they've internalized from society, they rebel against those feelings, and try to compensate (as some "eggs" do) by going hard on their gender-assigned-at-birth. But in the end they realize that that's only making things worse, and they only find peace when they abandon masculinity entirely and embrace femininity, by literally killing Tyler and holding Marla's hand as the movie ends.

Idk whether that interpretation is intended by the filmmakers, but it seems compelling to me. Also, I haven't read the book so idk whether it fits in to the same interpretation.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah but the guy shoots himself in the head but he's ok

lol

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Chrpno posted:

lol

CBT

Cranial Bullet Therapy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chrpno posted:

lol

Yeah he does it badly, puts the gun in his mouth but angled shallow and blows a hole in his own cheek.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Yeah he does it badly, puts the gun in his mouth but angled shallow and blows a hole in his own cheek.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try, should be holding a girl and making philosophical quips in no time!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

And then they get a comic series where Tyler starts world war 3 and kills his author.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chrpno posted:

lol

I….don’t know where you’d get the idea he’s okay. He’s missing half his face. It’s a lot like how society keeps limping along despite everything being complained about and raged against in the movie. It’s really not fuckin subtle here.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I believe in the theory that Marla Singer represents the narrator's feminine side, as Tyler Durden represents their masculine side. She is just as much in the narrator's head as Tyler is; nobody in the movie interacts with her other than the narrator and Tyler; not the men of Project Mayhem, not the people in the testicular cancer support group, nobody.

There's a lot of focus on body modification (e.g. liposuction), especially testicles and castration (e.g. the testicular cancer support group, the scene where Tyler threatens to cut off the rich dude's balls). The constant bit about "I am Jack's [organ]" is the narrator obsessing about their body. And of course there's Robert Paulson, the guy with "bitch tits".

So yeah, Fight Club is, according to this interpretation, an allegory about the narrator being transgender. Their middle-class ennui is rooted in dysphoria, but they don't realize it. They search around desperately for the problem, attending support groups for lots of different things to try and find someone else to confide in, but it doesn't work for very long - their feminine side, Marla, keeps popping up. Because of the transphobia they've internalized from society, they rebel against those feelings, and try to compensate (as some "eggs" do) by going hard on their gender-assigned-at-birth. But in the end they realize that that's only making things worse, and they only find peace when they abandon masculinity entirely and embrace femininity, by literally killing Tyler and holding Marla's hand as the movie ends.

Idk whether that interpretation is intended by the filmmakers, but it seems compelling to me. Also, I haven't read the book so idk whether it fits in to the same interpretation.

I read the book but years before seeing the movie and decades before coming out, but Fight Club is a movie that is just 95% gender issues by volume in a way that’s really hard to ignore if you’ve dealt with anything like that yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh man I just got to the bisexual episode of sex in the city. Jesus Christ.