Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm going through my PS4 catalog right now and just realized that I bought The Outer Wilds. This is my first real play through. Does anyone have any tips or is it better to just go in blind the first time?

The guitar music is pretty.

You should definitely go in blind, but here are some vague, non-spoilery tips. Don't get discouraged if it feels like you're not accomplishing or finding anything at first; at a certain point it will click. Always read the messages on the stone slabs, and refer to your ship log if you're feeling stuck.

Also don't listen to the casuals who tell you to use the lovely landing cam. Have some self respect and just aim at the horizon as you descend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just beat ikaruga for the first time ever and I'm gonna see if I cant make it through radiant silvergun. Picked up and beat cotton fantasy.

Been playing a lot of samurai showdown iv against my highschool buddy too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

You should definitely go in blind, but here are some vague, non-spoilery tips. Don't get discouraged if it feels like you're not accomplishing or finding anything at first; at a certain point it will click. Always read the messages on the stone slabs, and refer to your ship log if you're feeling stuck.

Also don't listen to the casuals who tell you to use the lovely landing cam. Have some self respect and just aim at the horizon as you descend.

Landing cam was straight up not helpful imo. By the end of the game I felt like I didn't even need to think about controlling it anymore. You're just using little thrusters against physics so it feels natural eventually.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

A dude falls out of the sky screaming. After he splats you check his pocket and find scrolls if Icarian Flight. Can't do that in a book!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Devils Affricate posted:

I got to the point where it 'clicked' but ... at one point I died twice in a row doing the same thing (which was correct to be trying to do) and got a bit frustrated. I went and googled some stuff and was glad I did because there's a TON of busywork that I definitely can't be bothered doing. I think the game is amazing, and definitely understand why someone would stick at it. Normally it would be exactly my kind of game, but in practice there was just too little in terms of 'progress'. I know it's not really about progress, but, I'd piece something together, and not be able to advance because ???. Eventually I'd discover ??? but not because I was looking for it, and so I felt robbed of any agency. If even when you know what you're supposed to be doing, you're better off just stumbling around, it started (for me) to feel a little futile after a while.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Videogames, in a sense, are living things.

Books are great if you wanna hear yourself make voices in your own head.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

Books are great if you wanna hear yourself make voices in your own head.

Being well read vastly improves your critical thinking and comprehension skills. Video games are still just a fancy version of a haunted house carnival ride.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

LMAO

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Videogames are like reading books on a carnival ride!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Video games are for children

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

So are socks.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Most of all though, videogames are 4 LIFE!

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I just beat ikaruga for the first time ever and I'm gonna see if I cant make it through radiant silvergun. Picked up and beat cotton fantasy.

Been playing a lot of samurai showdown iv against my highschool buddy too.

if you wanna go into shmup history a lil bit, give Batsugun a try. it's the last SHMUP by Toaplan, whose former employees went on to form CAVE, Raizing, etc. p. much the prototype for more modern bullet hell games.

not too hard to 1cc the first loop, catchy music, nice looks and some funny engrish :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Video games are cool and good and fun

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

MarcusSA posted:

Video games are for children

I can get behind this as being unpopular

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

fridge corn posted:

Video games are cool and good and fun

:mods:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
People shouldn't be allowed to play video games until they reach a certain literacy level

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Did the starfield thread disappear

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It's sitting in page 3 because no one gives a poo poo about Starfield anymore already.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

what's starfield?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

!Klams posted:

I got to the point where it 'clicked' but ... at one point I died twice in a row doing the same thing (which was correct to be trying to do) and got a bit frustrated. I went and googled some stuff and was glad I did because there's a TON of busywork that I definitely can't be bothered doing. I think the game is amazing, and definitely understand why someone would stick at it. Normally it would be exactly my kind of game, but in practice there was just too little in terms of 'progress'. I know it's not really about progress, but, I'd piece something together, and not be able to advance because ???. Eventually I'd discover ??? but not because I was looking for it, and so I felt robbed of any agency. If even when you know what you're supposed to be doing, you're better off just stumbling around, it started (for me) to feel a little futile after a while.

Now I'm curious about which part your referring to. I can't think of anything in OW that could be considered busywork.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Private Cumshoe posted:

People shouldn't be allowed to play video games until they reach a certain literacy level

I guess this is how video games die then

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

Now I'm curious about which part your referring to. I can't think of anything in OW that could be considered busywork.

I'm guessing they mean waiting on the clock to be able to enter Ash Twin? Maybe?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Private Cumshoe posted:

People shouldn't be allowed to play video games after they reach a certain literacy level

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here’s a free game that looks cool as hell

Mat Cauthon posted:

One of the guys who made Fable just put out a free old school RPG game if folks are looking for new stuff to check out.

https://twitter.com/Fluttermind/status/1707529725609119884?t=SNhoE2k4vV5nJ1jnp-HOZw&s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tango alpha delta posted:

Being well read vastly improves your critical thinking and comprehension skills. Video games are still just a fancy version of a haunted house carnival ride.

Someone described the NPCs in Starefield like animatronic figures in a Disney ride, spouting their lines as you pass and you can hear them say it again as you turn the corner with the next car passing them, and holy poo poo is that accurate, both for that game and games in general.

Aramis posted:

It's sitting in page 3 because no one gives a poo poo about Starfield anymore already.

I played 25 hours, deleted it in order to shuffle things around while I installed a 1TB SSD, and then just never bothered to reinstall after ward :effort:

It'll be good someday, but that's not today. Better luck next year. Luckily for Microsoft, they're releasing Forza and Ishin and Cities Skylines 2 on GP this month, so I guess I'm hanging on to the subscription.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Total Annihilation was the best RTS ever released :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Total Annihilation was the best RTS ever released :colbert:

Yup

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Das Butterbrot posted:

if you wanna go into shmup history a lil bit, give Batsugun a try. it's the last SHMUP by Toaplan, whose former employees went on to form CAVE, Raizing, etc. p. much the prototype for more modern bullet hell games.

not too hard to 1cc the first loop, catchy music, nice looks and some funny engrish :)

Given that I just ordered a de10 nano to do my first mister fpga build, and that I am a massive Sega Saturn fan, this looks right up my alley. Thanks!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TA was good and made even better by all of the crazy custom units people added

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I played the original SaGa games because all I had was a game boy, why the gently caress is anyone still playing that series? like I'm legit worried about these people

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

George posted:

I played the original SaGa games because all I had was a game boy, why the gently caress is anyone still playing that series? like I'm legit worried about these people

You just don't get it man.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

George posted:

I've always said that it's Final Fantasy for crazy people.

I like it better than Final Fantasy usually.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

MarcusSA posted:

You just don't get it man.

I played three of them, I totally get it. They're bad op.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
saga games are horrible.

i love them

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm guessing they mean waiting on the clock to be able to enter Ash Twin? Maybe?

I mean, that part was a bit annoying, but it's kinda weird to refer to a situation where you're literally just waiting and doing nothing else as busywork. Plus they have the time skip feature at the campfires now, so it's kind of moot.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Private Cumshoe posted:

People shouldn't be allowed to post on social media or use computers in general until they reach a certain literacy level

FTFY because this is one of my huge loving pet peeves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just checked the rewards for leveling up in literacy and if you get level 4, the current max, they say you can read an insect textbook, the complete works of Shakespeare, some Nietzsche, and war and peace.

No way I'm grinding up past level 1 if all I unlock are books I can or have already read, probably for free even. If you can read one word you can pretty much read em all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I just checked the rewards for leveling up in literacy and if you get level 4, the current max, they say you can read an insect textbook, the complete works of Shakespeare, some Nietzsche, and war and peace.

No way I'm grinding up past level 1 if all I unlock are books I can or have already read, probably for free even. If you can read one word you can pretty much read em all.

Wait for a patch, Nietzsche should be Level 1 with all the other deranged ramblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Me, at level 1 literacy