Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe a guy who missed nearly the entire 2022 season and most of training camp isn't quite up to speed on a pro field yet.

Instead of "using him wrong" they might just be using him as much as they trust him, which is clearly very little right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, it's sort of telling that people I saw elsewhere baying for blood on the Witherspoon selection have effortlessly moved their focus to JSN haha

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Benne posted:

Maybe a guy who missed nearly the entire 2022 season and most of training camp isn't quite up to speed on a pro field yet.

Instead of "using him wrong" they might just be using him as much as they trust him, which is clearly very little right now.

I wonder if it is a geno thing bc when lock came in they were throwing it down the field to JSN. Dunno, they have a history of getting players and then not using them to their strengths imo (Harvin, graham) .
Could b3 he's getting up to speed. Could be he sucks. Could be that they don't trust him. But feels bad the number 20 overall and first Wideout taken is a nonfactor quarter of the way in

Charbonnet looks baller tho.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean, a lot of why people talked up JSN as a draft pick was that he could be the short to intermediate target across the middle that we've lacked. If he's not being put in that position, I'm thinking some of the blame there might lay at Waldron's feet as well.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I think part of it has been the injured O line. on the intermediate to short game it's basically a target competition between JSN and the tight ends. well, if you're missing four starting linemen you're probably going to want your TEs in there a *lot*. and to his great credit Waldron has been using them really well. but I don't think we're going to see a ton of 11 personnel until the starting tackles are back.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hawks fans should be happy with a win but that was a messy game. Geno needed to calm the gently caress down about the dude who tackled him wrong, there was a lot of sloppy play and penalties, the team seems to be winning based on individual talent with some very talented players but I am not impressed with their ability to cleanly execute plays. A lot of the damage last night was done by the giants committing penalties and being poo poo, not by the seahawks being excellent.

There were some weird coaching decisions. Like right before the half, running six running plays and then letting the last 19 seconds tick down on a 3rd and 1 at the 32 yard line with two time outs left? Why did you run those plays, if you wanted to try for a score you could throw the ball or stop the clock, if you didn't you could just kneel out the last 40 seconds after one play. Or the turnover on downs on the first drive of the third quarter, they had 4th and 1 and the geno incomplete pass looked like a low-chance play, why would you not just run the ball there? Or take the field goal, you're on the NYG 15 yard line and the score is 14-3, a field goal is hardly meaningless here.

NYG then did a full field drive that looked pretty good, Witherspoons' interception and 97 yard TD changed the game but you can't count on that kind of play to happen and without it, Giants are likely closing to within 4 points and maintaining momentum. That was the play that kind of took the life out of them and after that it was just clowning on a defeated team.

Anyway a win's a win obviously but I would not be looking at that performance and predicting they'll win their next five games.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Hawks fans should be happy with a win but that was a messy game. Geno needed to calm the gently caress down about the dude who tackled him wrong, there was a lot of sloppy play and penalties, the team seems to be winning based on individual talent with some very talented players but I am not impressed with their ability to cleanly execute plays. A lot of the damage last night was done by the giants committing penalties and being poo poo, not by the seahawks being excellent.

There were some weird coaching decisions. Like right before the half, running six running plays and then letting the last 19 seconds tick down on a 3rd and 1 at the 32 yard line with two time outs left? Why did you run those plays, if you wanted to try for a score you could throw the ball or stop the clock, if you didn't you could just kneel out the last 40 seconds after one play. Or the turnover on downs on the first drive of the third quarter, they had 4th and 1 and the geno incomplete pass looked like a low-chance play, why would you not just run the ball there? Or take the field goal, you're on the NYG 15 yard line and the score is 14-3, a field goal is hardly meaningless here.

NYG then did a full field drive that looked pretty good, Witherspoons' interception and 97 yard TD changed the game but you can't count on that kind of play to happen and without it, Giants are likely closing to within 4 points and maintaining momentum. That was the play that kind of took the life out of them and after that it was just clowning on a defeated team.

Anyway a win's a win obviously but I would not be looking at that performance and predicting they'll win their next five games.

Yeah. We're all excited about the defensive performance against a backup OL and overpaid QB.
Meanwhile, the offense looked pretty unimpressive outside of a few solid performances. They were completely unable to capitalize on momentum or field position and only scored 3 points in the second half. 17 offensive points total. 7 of those came off a turnover that ended up in the red zone.
Totally agree about some baffling coaching decisions, too.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

It was classic seahawks.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah, it's sort of telling that people I saw elsewhere baying for blood on the Witherspoon selection have effortlessly moved their focus to JSN haha

It's extremely telling. It usually takes receivers a bit to get a feel for the NFL game.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nervous posted:

It's extremely telling. It usually takes receivers a bit to get a feel for the NFL game.

It takes a particularly special kind of rookie to be elite out the gates. I'm talking Randy Moss, Justin Jefferson, Chase, Boldin, and of course Michael Wilson :smuggo:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Puka

Also Ronnie Bell : )

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DancingMachine posted:

That's good because JSN looks like a very high danger for ending up being a total bust.

JSN just needs more opportunities. I don't think he'll be a world beater but he is definitely better than what's been shown so far. Too many doomed outside screens and bad Geno throws.

Stuff he needs to do better too, like catch the ball, but he hasn't had that many good opportunities sent his way

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Hawks fans should be happy with a win but that was a messy game.

A lot of the damage last night was done by the giants committing penalties and being poo poo, not by the seahawks being excellent.

Yeah. Seahawks are 3-1 but they’ve played some terrible teams and overall the looks kind of lovely. Seems like the worst case scenario might come true where they win around 7 games.

They keep winning but none of the games inspire confidence.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They're 3-1 while missing like 30 important starters and now have the bye week to get closer to full strength. I think that's pretty drat impressive actually, even with the soft schedule.

I really don't like this mindset of "oh they beat bad teams, so it doesn't count." Like what, are we supposed to win 100-0? Are we supposed to be not happy that we poo poo on and humiliated the Giants on national TV? Because that was rad as hell, and I feel bad if you didn't get something out of that.

I like this team, and I think they'll play better as the season goes on. There's a ton of pieces to get excited about.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

They're 3-1 while missing like 30 important starters and now have the bye week to get closer to full strength. I think that's pretty drat impressive actually, even with the soft schedule.

I really don't like this mindset of "oh they beat bad teams, so it doesn't count." Like what, are we supposed to win 100-0? Are we supposed to be not happy that we poo poo on and humiliated the Giants on national TV? Because that was rad as hell, and I feel bad if you didn't get something out of that.

I like this team, and I think they'll play better as the season goes on. There's a ton of pieces to get excited about.

this is where I am. how many past Seahawks teams would have folded like a cheap table with FOUR o line starters out? it seems like the team loses someone every quarter. this game was closer than it should have been but it was never in serious doubt

I'm really hoping their injury luck turns around post-bye though because once they hit the second Rams game that schedule gets brutal QUICK

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking as a seahawks hater, they look like the worst 3+ win team in the league. A lot of the 2 win teams look better, as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot wait for the Niners/Cowboys/Niners/Eagles stretch.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

algebra testes posted:

i too am a snuff film connoisseur

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking as a seahawks hater, they look like the worst 3+ win team in the league. A lot of the 2 win teams look better, as well.

Agreed.

Biggest shame so far is Adams. I hope that scrappy hard hitting safety linebacker hybrid gets to stay healthy!!!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Play posted:

JSN just needs more opportunities. I don't think he'll be a world beater but he is definitely better than what's been shown so far. Too many doomed outside screens and bad Geno throws.

Stuff he needs to do better too, like catch the ball, but he hasn't had that many good opportunities sent his way

Hard to get a bunch of looks when you have DK Metcalf and Lockett. Might want to trade Metcalf to the Niners. How well can he block for CMC?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

Hard to get a bunch of looks when you have DK Metcalf and Lockett. Might want to trade Metcalf to the Niners. How well can he block for CMC?

He looks like he could truck a linebacker or two.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Mustached Demon posted:

He looks like he could truck a linebacker or two.

I hear he's got chase down speed too. For blocking of course.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Biggest shame so far is Adams. I hope that scrappy hard hitting safety linebacker hybrid gets to stay healthy!!!

At this point I was just glad when he went down that it wasn't some career ending soft tissue injury.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I also enjoy red wines, long walks on the beach, and getting kicked repeatedly in the balls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I could see one of those SEA games being the 49ers first loss.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Waltzing Along posted:

Divisional games yo.

In honor of Purdy breaking Steve Young's single-game passing percentage record, we're getting a Football Academy double header. Up first, 21/22 for 283 and 1 TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, there's one win in there. Of course it depends on the Niners not really trying, or meltdowns from the Iggles or Cowboys.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

OGS-Remix posted:

I hear he's got chase down speed too. For blocking of course.

:negative:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

algebra testes posted:

I too like watching the Seahawks lose :getin:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

if the cards can get a win against the cowboys, so can the hawks

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

razorscooter posted:

if the cards can get a win against the cowboys, so can the hawks

So can anyone imo

(Except the bears)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Cooper Kupp is back at practice on Wednesday, outside shot of playing against the eagles

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I would like it if the Seahawks beat the Cowboys.

gently caress the Cowboys takes precedent over all other teams.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustached Demon posted:

I would like it if the Seahawks beat the Cowboys.

gently caress the Cowboys takes precedent over all other teams.
What about Establish The Run?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What about Establish The Run?

I said teams, not ideals one should aspire to achieve.

If the cowboys sought to Establish the Run I would say gently caress you I don't believe your sincerity.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

If the cowboys sought to Establish the Run I would say gently caress you I don't believe your sincerity.

If there's one thing I grudgingly have to give Jerruh credit for, it's having at least some commitment to the Run. Just look at some of those road grading O lines they've had.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

The highest of honours

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1709721975453626682?s=20

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustached Demon posted:

You got me there. I'm drinking heavily so I was not very eloquent but you got my point anyway.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You got me there. I'm drinking heavily so I was not very eloquent but you got my point anyway.

I'm 90s kid and niner fan, my burning hated of the Cowboys could power all of Texas during an extreme weather event (unlike the Texas grid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As an Niners fan I have to say I hate Dallas, Green Bay, Seattle, Baltimore and Kansas City.