Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair to everyone, BPJ started training to wrestle in early 2017, had his first match anyone might have actually seen (in CZW and BLP) in early 2018, and I guess "showed a lot of potential" for a novice in his various MLW and other promotions I did not watch in 2019.

It's not insane to look at him with a lot of potential in the summer of 2019, and given all of the tragedy in his life I get people wanting to think the best of him. It's just that nothing in the ensuing 3+ years have given a ton of reason to think well of him or his wrestling potential.

He did not show a lot of potential in MLW he was one of the worst wrestlers on Earth in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

He did not show a lot of potential in MLW he was one of the worst wrestlers on Earth in 2019.
I have not watched any MLW at all and was clearly misled, people talked about him showing potential when he first signed to AEW and I assumed they were not making this up out of whole cloth. Alas,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

I have not watched any MLW at all and was clearly misled, people talked about him showing potential when he first signed to AEW and I assumed they were not making this up out of whole cloth. Alas,

The people who were going the hardest for him like Dave Meltzer clearly never watched MLW and just copy and paste whatever news Court Bauer sends them. Basically anyone actually watching MLW had two reactions "these shows suck" and "Brian Pillman Jr really sucks." It wasn't crazy either he was only a couple years in but to think that AEW which did not have him under contract and had not used him would put a guy under MLW contract in their debut match vs a guy not under contract to them and under contract to a company they were on bad terms with... insanity.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I was watching a Varsity Blonds promo back when they were still a thing and I was into the gimmick.

Then BPJ wrestled and I was like "Holy gently caress this guy isn't good."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I liked the Varsity Blonds because AEW needs a jobber face tag team and I’d rather see them in that role instead of Top Flight or The Best Friends. I support BPJ going to nxt because they won’t have high expectations for his ring work there.

But the talking point about how AEW didn’t know how to develop him is complete BS. MJF, Kris Statlander, Max Castor, Daniel Garcia, Hook, Jade Cargill, Private Party, Top Flight, Action Andretti and a few others are all at a similar level of experience to Pillman and they all improved over time. Pillman never did, and that’s not on AEW - that’s on him. Every time he was put in a big match he poo poo the bed and it was time for him
To go.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tweak posted:

I wonder what the universe where the Go Big Show was renewed for multiple seasons is like

It was a cool show! I wish they scrapped the competition nonsense. Just bring back the freaks and let them do other gags.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
After the dark side of the ring episode, everyone wanted BPJ to make it.

And he got a chance, I believe it was against MJF,
And man, did I go "...well, that was something. Let us never speak of this again"

And that's about right when everyone forgot about him until Christian buried him, as he should've :hai:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I liked the Varsity Blonds because AEW needs a jobber face tag team and I’d rather see them in that role instead of Top Flight or The Best Friends. I support BPJ going to nxt because they won’t have high expectations for his ring work there.

But the talking point about how AEW didn’t know how to develop him is complete BS. MJF, Kris Statlander, Max Castor, Daniel Garcia, Hook, Jade Cargill, Private Party, Top Flight, Action Andretti and a few others are all at a similar level of experience to Pillman and they all improved over time. Pillman never did, and that’s not on AEW - that’s on him. Every time he was put in a big match he poo poo the bed and it was time for him
To go.

It's also a pretty funny talking point when Julia Hart has grown into a fan favorite PPV worthy talent. So you'll see a ton of "AEW can't foster young talent!" tweets about Pillman Jr where an impressive person 9 years younger is in frame.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

To go.

The Varsity Blonds were good in their role for about a year and then Pillman stumbled. There were signs of it before, he was still very botchy but it didn't matter in tags with good wrestlers but the MJF mini feud was really when it all came crashing down. He sucked in 2019 and wasn't bad and you could see some potential in 2020 and early 2021. It was limited, but he was doing something well. By late 2021 he was no longer doing things well. Tony clearly saw it too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Coolness Averted posted:

It's also a pretty funny talking point when Julia Hart has grown into a fan favorite PPV worthy talent. So you'll see a ton of "AEW can't foster young talent!" tweets about Pillman Jr where an impressive person 9 years younger is in frame.
AND she started on TV as his valet, to boot.

I think a lot of it comes down to him showing enough potential in the matches where he was carried that, being optimistic, you'd think there was more that would eventually be unlocked. But no, he's just some guy who got carried so well in his fourth match by Joey Janela that everyone thought he actually had potential when he didn't.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I watched Pillman Jr. in person earlier this year at the Mark Briscoe-Jay Lethal Dynamite, and specifically watched him closely because I was wondering if he had improved any - it'd been awhile since I watched him on TV.

He definitely looked like the worst performer on the card by a noticeable distance, despite being in a near hometown situation. Just nothing there.

Maybe it's a confidence thing and fresh pastures will help him, but I'm really not optimistic about that.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah she's an example of someone indisputablly homegrown who was given a chance to grow and even trusted with a gimmick and story she wanted.
I'm sympathetic to workers who can't thrive in that environment and need creative to assign them angles and storylines, but there's been some really organic and great stuff that's come out of AEW's culture.

e: but yeah, I think the non weirdo take is "Hopefully BPJ can thrive in WWE and make something work that didn't elsewhere," the more people who can make a living in this goofy sport the better.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 4, 2023

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Miching Mallecho posted:

After the dark side of the ring episode, everyone wanted BPJ to make it.

And he got a chance, I believe it was against MJF,
And man, did I go "...well, that was something. Let us never speak of this again"

And that's about right when everyone forgot about him until Christian buried him, as he should've :hai:

That was at the first Grand Slam. I remember because that was such a fun night and MJF came out and everyone was having a good time and Pillman came out and then it was just a boring match. Granted, they had to follow Omega and Danielson, which was impossible. We've since seen evidence that MJF is in fact really loving good and he wasn't able to carry Pillman to anything of interest. I remember MJF's parents sign that Justin Roberts called out beforehand ("We're MJF's parents and even we think he sucks") better than the match itself.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

tbh BPJ needs to a few years of getting his rear end kicked constantly and stomping on rakes, all of these things are WWE specialties. Lotta bark, no real dawg.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
yall gotta be nice to beepie hes only a kid

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I mean this with no ill will to him, I think the WWE house style will work wonders for BPJ.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I hope he does well makes lots of money and is happy, over there in the fed where I wont have to watch him

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I liked the Varsity Blondes a whole lot, but Julia looking at the group, realizing they were a dead end for her career, and running off to beg Malakai to let her hook up with the House of Black is the smartest thing she could have possibly done.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

I liked the Varsity Blondes a whole lot, but Julia looking at the group, realizing they were a dead end for her career, and running off to beg Malakai to let her hook up with the House of Black is the smartest thing she could have possibly done.

Julia Hart also owns. coincidence???

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Davey Melt just has some terrible ideas and thoughts at times. After the latest wwe cuts he was saying Dolph Ziggler might be a good pick up for aew. They already have the good Nemeth brother and his ceiling is comedy jobber.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

cagliostr0 posted:

Davey Melt just has some terrible ideas and thoughts at times. After the latest wwe cuts he was saying Dolph Ziggler might be a good pick up for aew. They already have the good Nemeth brother and his ceiling is comedy jobber.

where was this quote from, reddit?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

yall gotta be nice to beepie hes only a kid

A mere tot at 30. Have some mercy.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1709565106151882903?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

That sounds pretty cool. Much less cool would be if punk had yet another meltdown over nothing, attacked a coworker and did something so egregious that his boss who had so far bent over backwards to accomodate punks every whim, fired him for cause.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Sounds llke real punk rock poo poo.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

love to go to work and terrorize both my boss and kids half my age

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it would definitely had been a lot less cool if he had to be actively talked in to actually going out and performing at the largest show of his career by his coworker

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wonder if any of the bullshit made its way to the commentators through their headsets before the match. Obviously they're getting direction through the headsets, I wonder if anyone's mic picked up a scuffle or anything. The live event aspect of a backstage meltdown that only a portion of the workers and crew know about is kind of fascinating to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1709565106151882903?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

That sounds pretty cool. Much less cool would be if punk had yet another meltdown over nothing, attacked a coworker and did something so egregious that his boss who had so far bent over backwards to accomodate punks every whim, fired him for cause.

If we're talking about being punk rock he'd have never signed for a billionaire but instead toiled on the indies while living in a squat with meth heads.

Sorry, I just finished reading an oral history of the San Francisco Bay punk scene and even 30 years later there are some deeply tragic old men still mad about Green Day signing with a major label, while even older people are mad that everything isn't like it was before the Dead Kennedys came along and ruined it all. Bizarre group of people

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
thinking really hard for what the word would be for an aging anti-estsblishment punk rocker who does stadium shows now and has a side gig as a landlord. nothing is coming to mind unfortunately

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

little munchkin posted:

thinking really hard for what the word would be for an aging anti-estsblishment punk rocker who does stadium shows now and has a side gig as a landlord. nothing is coming to mind unfortunately

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The true hero

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Nothing more pathetic than a middle-age adult landlord still clinging to his teenage punk rock ideals

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Nothing more pathetic than a landlord

agreed OP

bartok
May 10, 2006

I don't know if this is a bad take or not but I'd love to see Ziggler wrestle outside of WWE. Not in AEW but I'm curious to see him work outside of a WWE ring. I figure he might surprise us or it will be a hilarious disaster like Damien Sandow in TNA.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I think he'd be good to great if he was motivated. You could see it before the last few years that he'd still go out and try to do his HBK cosplay and work really hard at it. If he thinks it's beneath him or something like that then no way pal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bartok posted:

I don't know if this is a bad take or not but I'd love to see Ziggler wrestle outside of WWE. Not in AEW but I'm curious to see him work outside of a WWE ring. I figure he might surprise us or it will be a hilarious disaster like Damien Sandow in TNA.

I'd like to see him in NWA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/rubenz1904/status/1709394548055847135?t=qPStgRwhjawratkCPj1C9Q&s=19

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I'd be interested to find out if Zigzig does the thing where when he leaves WWE he's way better or not. I hate Dolph Ziggler with a firey passion, but I have nothing against Nick Nemeth and I hope he does well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

El Generico posted:

I'd be interested to find out if Zigzig does the thing where when he leaves WWE he's way better or not. I hate Dolph Ziggler with a firey passion, but I have nothing against Nick Nemeth and I hope he does well.

I want him and his brother to be a tag team basically the Varsity Blondes but better way more then I thought I would.