Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Didn't want this to get lost in the logging thread, if anyone wants to talk about Pearl I've been thinking about it since credits rolled.

quote:

You ever hear about some actor from your parents, and they rave and rave about how great they are, but you're only exposed to the later stage of their careers and so you don't get all the fuss, then you track down one of their early roles and you go "Oh drat, I get it now" ?

Pearl is that for me, for Ti West, in reverse. I've long complained his stuff is more an exercise in matching the look and feel of older films rather than actually delivering a quality modern spooky experience to the audience. Pearl is absolutely the repudiation of that take, a harrowing (and I mean that literally, you will be turned up and inside out, and you will not be the same, and there will be new things growing in you) experience and a lights-out all-time instant classic.

Make no mistake, this is not just West's doing. Mia Goth absolutely steals the entire show, with a single-take monologue that ranks up with anything in Network, not to mention the 50 minutes on either side of it making up this movie.

To say as little about the plot as possible, this is a movie about desperation, about longing, about needing a single, solitary thread lowered into the pit you're forced to live in, and instead of a lifeline, a bucket of pig slop is tossed on top of you. Pearl is the single greatest indictment of our modern world, and it's a pre-Depression era period piece.

Pearl did nothing wrong. Pearl does nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I like Ti West a lot, and Pearl is the best thing Ti West has made to date. I have no idea how Maxxxine is going to compare.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

I need to get back to that series, I’ve only seen 1-5.

The Most Terrifying Movie in History is part 6, and it's a fantastic continuation of the story. It does a really good job of gathering up threads from the earlier films without over explaining anything.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I haven't seen vhs99 yet, should I watch that for the challenge or just go with 85?

99 is definitely worth a watch tho I thought it was a step down from 94.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just a reminder that The Purge starts tomorrow. Er I mean the emergency alert system. Anyway they say its going to sound like The Purge.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If it's not horror (and it's a scab film), I ain't got time for it this October :colbert:

Now, that's one of the actors, Star Trek guy, the director/writer/actor is the surely very cool Paul Bartel. I've been meaning to see it too, sounds up my alley. I like how the October Challenge thread says thrillers count, and horror adjacent stuff etc. So I think if there's a weird and/or tense movie that's a bit macabre or something, it's totally kosher.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

WeaponX posted:

99 is definitely worth a watch tho I thought it was a step down from 94.

Hard to top Rat Man, I'm sure

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Always excited for more VHS and I’m pumped that i don’t have to wait till the end of the month.

Unlike the Hell House prequel which comes out the 30th as if I have time to squeeze that in while I watch all my Halloween favorites (I will make time for it because I’m masochistic)

Oh god please be good, I love that series but that finale ooofff

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flying Zamboni posted:

I watched the first episode of 30 Coins today and really liked it. I appreciate a show that gives me a cool monster and a battle priest right from episode one.

LOL, buckle the gently caress up. It only escalates from there.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Whoah speaking of found footage, has anyone seen Be My Cat: A Film for Anne? Completely missed my radar, which I guess is fair considering it's a no budget Romanian film. I honestly don't think I personally liked it, mainly for pacing reasons, but I have a feeling that some people here might really enjoy it.

Premise is an amateur director making a BTS documentary of a fake film that he's making to convince Anne Hathaway to star in the actual production of the film. Yes it's about as insane as it sounds.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I haven't seen vhs99 yet, should I watch that for the challenge or just go with 85?

I liked it, it might be the only one I didn’t hate a segment of. The highs aren’t as high as in other VHSes, but the lows aren’t as low either

The question I’d ask is how you felt about Deadstream. The director did one of the best shorts here

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Watched Argento’s “Opera” for the first time in theaters. It was the new 4K restoration and it’s beautiful. Never seen the movie before but it’s quite the spectacle.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I liked it, it might be the only one I didn’t hate a segment of. The highs aren’t as high as in other VHSes, but the lows aren’t as low either

The question I’d ask is how you felt about Deadstream. The director did one of the best shorts here

poo poo well my enthusiasm just went way up. Deadstream was way better than it should have been

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trip9 posted:

Whoah speaking of found footage, has anyone seen Be My Cat: A Film for Anne? Completely missed my radar, which I guess is fair considering it's a no budget Romanian film. I honestly don't think I personally liked it, mainly for pacing reasons, but I have a feeling that some people here might really enjoy it.

Premise is an amateur director making a BTS documentary of a fake film that he's making to convince Anne Hathaway to star in the actual production of the film. Yes it's about as insane as it sounds.
Yeah. I gave it a shot while exploring random found footage, and initially I was kinda interested in its premise...it seemed like it could be creative or freaky in a Bjork stalker way but ultimately it was all a vehicle for him to torture kill a bunch of women so I peaced out along the way and didn't finish it.
I don't know if it breaks that repetitive pattern at some point but I'd kinda had enough of its Man Bite Dog attempt.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://archive.org/details/video_archive_553-cd-207

This is something I am excited to take a crack at.

Oh yeah

Gripweed posted:

just watched Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi: The Most Terrifying Movie in History. It was extremely good.

OH YEAH

I feel like I’m that Vince McMahon falling over gif right now, so much good poo poo for spookadoodletober

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

I watched the first episode of 30 Coins today and really liked it. I appreciate a show that gives me a cool monster and a battle priest right from episode one.

Hell yes, I hope you enjoy the rest of it. The show can get a little telenovela-y but for me that was half the fun.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eating Raoul isn't necessarily horror but it's definitely weird and I think that counts as horror adjacent. It's very much a midnight movie, or like a 2am on HBO in the 90s sort of thing. Also it crosses over with Chopping Mall, which is definitely horror.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Finally catching House on the big screen tonight. Super hyped!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Hmm, I am the one guy who loving hated Deadstream

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Hmm, I am the one guy who loving hated Deadstream

I couldn't stand it either. And I get it, the main character is supposed to have a grating personality but he was a little bit too effective there. If there was some amazing payoff then maybe suffering through that character would've been worth it, but there wasn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deadite posted:

fun fact, the real "witchfinder general" gave himself that title and was like 26 when he was burning people for being witches

He also died of tuberculosis just as everyone was getting sick of his poo poo.

Factual inaccuracy in your post though - Hopkins didn't burn any witches. He "found" them, but there his involvement ended. It was the courts who tried and convicted people, and the punishment for witchcraft in England (where he exclusively operated) was to be hanged. The Scots had their own little bit of witch hysteria around the same time and they did burn witches, which is where the confusion probably comes from.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I couldn't stand it either. And I get it, the main character is supposed to have a grating personality but he was a little bit too effective there. If there was some amazing payoff then maybe suffering through that character would've been worth it, but there wasn't.

If piss waterboarding isn’t a effective punishment then I don’t know what is!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqZe6THOpk

I still think it would look better with the old film grain.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh man local theater is showing the og F13 on F13. I think I gotta do the thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

Didn't want this to get lost in the logging thread, if anyone wants to talk about Pearl I've been thinking about it since credits rolled.

For what it's worth, Mia Goth cowrote and coproduced PEARL, so that may be the X factor.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Oh man local theater is showing the og F13 on F13. I think I gotta do the thing.

Do it! I'm a little bummed my favorite theater doesn't have one this year. I've caught a couple in the past and it's always a hoot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

For what it's worth, Mia Goth cowrote and coproduced PEARL, so that may be the X factor.

Yeah, I assumed the bit in X where the actor tells the director how to loving make the movie and she's right was kind of a nod to Mia's involvement.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone's looking to stock up, Vudu has a TON of horror movies in a 2 for $5 sale.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/mixandmatch/48834

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Shutter, a movie we watched last night on my partner's request that I had somehow managed to let slip me by despite eating and breathing Ringu movies and knockoffs in the early 2000s, gave me a pretty big laugh this morning when I did research on the American remake (i.e. checked out Wikipedia) and learned that America was still so loving "Japanese horror remake" pilled in 2008 that they took a Thai movie and turned it into an American couple travelling to Japan.

And then for some reason the official OST track listing made me laugh even harder because of the immediate juxtaposition in the first two tracks.

quote:

Track listing
"Welcome to Tokyo" – 1:55
"We Hit a Girl!" – 2:58

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I watched a movie by that same director last night, Pee Mak. It was a seriously charming and chilling little ghost story with a nice romantic core. Spooky but cute with a really funny central group :3: Like, I dunno, an Ernest Scared Stupid for adults. I liked it a lot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

weekly font posted:

The one I hope for every year is somewhere doing Part 3 in 3D, I'm dying to see it properly.

My local place is doing Part 1 on F13 too, Lost Boys on Friday 27th, and NoES1 on Halloween night, I'm kinda hoping I can make all of them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

And then for some reason the official OST track listing made me laugh even harder because of the immediate juxtaposition in the first two tracks.
Horror Thread: Welcome to Tokyo 1:55 -- We Hit a Girl! 2:58

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
My wife and I watched Virus (1999) last night and I'm lowkey angry that no one's ever told me to watch it before. It was really good and had some of the coolest grossest robots I've ever seen. It's a movie that absolutely revels in its ridiculous concept and it's SO GROSS. I really loved it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The rope scene in Saw X is so good. I was the only one in the theater who found it funny

There were only about 20 others in my theatre but yeah I was the only sicko crying laughing at that and the midcredits scene. Filthy casuals!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Null of Undefined posted:

My wife and I watched Virus (1999) last night and I'm lowkey angry that no one's ever told me to watch it before. It was really good and had some of the coolest grossest robots I've ever seen. It's a movie that absolutely revels in its ridiculous concept and it's SO GROSS. I really loved it.

Oh man, I was absolutely obsessed with the toys for that movie as a kid!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In the movie it's played like he's making a pass at Karras, which is very funny.

look making friends as an adult is hard

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Evil Dead Trap is a gnarly movie that showed me a lot of stuff I've never seen in other movies like an eyelid slitting with a knife JESUS CHRIST but the sexual assault in it is pretty hosed up and it really puts me off ever wanting to show anyone the movie because I'd have to be like, 'Yeah, uhh, so, there's an absurdly long rape scene smack dab in the middle...'

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Null of Undefined posted:

This thread is a constant reminder of so many movies I've been meaning to get around to watching at some point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

look making friends as an adult is hard

I think it's well observed!

MrGreenShirt posted:

Oh man, I was absolutely obsessed with the toys for that movie as a kid!

OK, what the gently caress. There was a Virus TOY LINE??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hundu, that j horror found footage flick Psychic Visuons Jaganrei has subs now

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/9464831/psychic-vision-jaganrei-en