Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Baronjutter posted:

"I'm going to keep my enemy helmet on for no reason, only to do an incredibly obvious reveal after nearly getting shot for it"

He does love his helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Had fun :)

I enjoy enjoying things

Looking forward to what's next

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Why was Hera signalling the new republic troops to stand down? Oh it was for chop.

I do appreciate the in-your-face re-owning of force ghost Hayden Christensen.

I can understand the complaints and comparisons to MCU trash in this finale though. With all the powerful jedi and nightsisters and bits of mando and empire and everything... It can get a bit much. It's easy to explain away any of the cacophony of crazy bullshit with "hella force", but also at face value it very much is superhero bullshit. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It's much better live-action star wars than I ever expected given everything.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I enjoyed it.

I also really liked the part where Sabine helps Ezra make the jump and the music kicks in and i was like gently caress yeah

I watched that scene like 8 times cause it gave me good feels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Felt like a real shaggy dog story of a season; never really got to the fireworks factory. At least the music was good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The color contacts for Ezra and Hera are really distracting, there's no reason we have to be this literal translating the characters.

If Ezra’s bright baby blues are a Dune reference, that’s even worse.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 4, 2023

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Were they setting up Baylon as a Jerek/Desann type thing?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Man, thrawn just annoys the poo poo out of me in this.

I get what they are going for but it is just so loving tell don't show that it drives me up the wall.

The original take on Thrawn had him as such a threat because he was hyper competent and managed to wrangle full control over the very large and very real imperial remnant forces.

Meanwhile the current thrawn is still very competent (supposedly, he sure does love sending peacemeal solutions at known problems rather than crushing them with the full force at his disposal) but he doesn't really have his hooks in, and the remnant is largely more of an underground thing in the current continuity. But the story just keeps telling me 'oh if thrawn and his one broke rear end ship get back it could be incredibly dangerous'

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Sash! posted:

He saw one of the beacons of Minas Tirith. That's gotta count for something

the amount of imagery in this episode lifted straight out of LOTR got a laugh out of me

Gresh fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 4, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think the problem is that if they were to show him doing that then the good guys would have to lose, something that every recent Star Wars thing (Andor excluded) seems unwilling to allow.

That was very underwhelming, it had the same overarching problem that most of the season had, no tension. These stories are pretty boring if we have no real reason to believe that the protagonists are ever in any real danger. Also, I don't care about any of this "democratizing of the Force" or whatever people are talking about, Sabine having Force powers is boring. It's especially boring if all you're going to set up as antagonists are faceless mooks that pose no threat to anyone. That, and Sabine's thing in Rebels was that she didn't need Force powers because she was a skilled fighter and, again, if the majority of your antagonists are just mooks, that's all you need to be a badass.

Honestly, I rolled my eyes at that bit because any hope I had of this season ending on a note of "well, hope Hera was able to galvanize the NR, because we failed" just disappeared.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If this show had any balls they'd leave ahsoka and sabine in that galaxy forever. Happy and at peace knowing they saved their friend.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Feels like they took a 4 hour show, pumped it to 16 hours, then cut out the good half

Fun scenes throughout but they forgot to have an Act 2 or 3?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So Sabine's last line:

Nothing..just shadows in starlight

Also happens to be the title of the new High Republic comic series that comes out today. Obviously the time period is different but there is no way that is a coincidence. They will be tied together somehow and probably provide some backstory on whatever Baylan was looking at in the distance.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's remarkable how everything in this show sucks and does nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Caros posted:

Man, thrawn just annoys the poo poo out of me in this.

I get what they are going for but it is just so loving tell don't show that it drives me up the wall.

The original take on Thrawn had him as such a threat because he was hyper competent and managed to wrangle full control over the very large and very real imperial remnant forces.

Meanwhile the current thrawn is still very competent (supposedly, he sure does love sending peacemeal solutions at known problems rather than crushing them with the full force at his disposal) but he doesn't really have his hooks in, and the remnant is largely more of an underground thing in the current continuity. But the story just keeps telling me 'oh if thrawn and his one broke rear end ship get back it could be incredibly dangerous'

A shipful of boxes would be more threatening if we knew what was in them or what they could do.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Gresh posted:

the amount of imagery in this episode lifted straight out of LOTR got a laugh out of me

The Space Wolves are basically Wargs, and Ahsoka has been a Gandalf nod for the entire season. Filoni clearly loves him some Tolkien (and CS Lewis, given the title of this episode)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

teagone posted:

Huyang straight up says Ahsoka felt Sabine was training as a Jedi for the wrong reasons in the exposition dump when Ezra finished building his saber. The implication being she was too emotional/had too much hate for the empire after they killed her family and way of life. That's why Ahsoka walked away, feeling if trained in the ways of the force, Sabine would be too dangerous due to being under such immense grief and distress, regardless of her force "potential" or not. [edit] Emotionally unstable Jedi are bad news, just look at Anakin and Kylo Ren.

Ah yes, the Dave Filoni method of tell, don’t show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It kind of stood out to me that the season was bookended by somebody just flying up to a ship and getting to come on board. Baylon and Shin in the first episode at least sent out a Jedi code and the Captain just got cocky, but Ezra apparently flew right up without IDing himself, walked out wearing full stormtrooper armor without saying anything, and stood there for like half a minute without saying a word. I was half waiting for somebody to shoot him and tell Hera,"You said to be on the lookout for Imperials!"

Anyway, Thrawn's grand strategy this episode was essentially:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's remarkable how everything in this show sucks and does nothing.

This has made me very much appreciate the fact that somehow Disney greenlit a Star Wars project written by the Michael Clayton guy and the House of Cards guy, because everything else is *gestures wildly towards Ahsoka*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I really hope once Bad Batch wraps up, they can continue the Ahsoka storylines in the animated style

Would be easier to simply recast Ray's voice instead of ghoulifying him with deepfake

Either that, or novels and comics

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just don't think a mystery cliffhanger season finale works when we've all seen the sequel trilogy set a few years later.

What's in those boxes? Who gives a gently caress? It won't matter.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I just don't think a mystery cliffhanger season finale works when we've all seen the sequel trilogy set a few years later.

*~iTs ThE jOuRnEy~*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Necrothatcher posted:

Who cares.

If it's good it doesn't loving matter if we know that something like 20 years from now happens.

I know how Andor's story ends. I know where Mon's story goes, Saw etc etc...Still extremely looking forward to that poo poo. In Andor S2

Like the entire galactic empire lasted 20 years lol.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 4, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Necrothatcher posted:

Nightsisters. They said Thrawn found the Great Mothers and woke them up. Makes sense to me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dexo posted:

If it's good it doesn't loving matter

fair enough, I suppose you're right.

this is not good.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I guess we just dropped Pullo :smith:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm glad baylan found that statue 👍

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it was funny when ezra tried punching the beskar (?) storm trooper instead of doing the force karate from last episode

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Oh c’mon. Horses again?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A shipful of boxes would be more threatening if we knew what was in them or what they could do.

It has to be Night Sister corpses, right?

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It has to be Night Sister corpses, right?

I guess? But we just saw night sister magic make a bunch of zombie stormtroopers, and they loving sucked. There's nothing to indicate it's not just a cargo hold of more zombies. They could have shown the night mothers reviving an actual magic-wielding sister as part of the lovely montage of unresolved threads if that's what they are.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Maybe there isn't enough magic to go around.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I imagine that if you need Baylan to come back, all you do is re-cast and Vaderize him. Robot voice, funky mask, etc.

As for this season, I'm not going to call it high art (or even as good as Andor), but I like liking things and was fairly entertained. At least enough to watch his upcoming movie that ties this all up.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's an interesting topic as to what makes an interesting story when you know the ending. After all, in most movies you watch, you can generally assume the Good Guys Win, even if you don't know the exact shape of that victory. So it's not *intrinsically* a problem.

I think the issue that the New Republic era stories are struggling with is that the problem is taken to an extreme. They have become tragedies that don't know they are tragedies. It'd be like Disney writing a show about Young Princess Leia righting social injustice on Alderaan without any recognition of the fact that its going to be blown up. Or - more to the point with Filoni - it'd be like writing the Clone Wars cartoons without any recognition of how the whole thing is going to end. But since the New Republic's end is not interesting nor developed in any meaningful manner, it's an unsolvable problem - you can't write to it, because there's very little there... and its far enough off in the future that its literally a practical problem. Ahsoka is literally set too early to deal with it.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 4, 2023

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Wow. That sucked. I really did not enjoy that.

I was totally onboard after the last couple of episodes felt like they were paying off the lackluster setup and longtail premise, but I felt this one really failed to stick the landing.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Aces High posted:

I think the problem is that if they were to show him doing that then the good guys would have to lose, something that every recent Star Wars thing (Andor excluded) seems unwilling to allow.

That was very underwhelming, it had the same overarching problem that most of the season had, no tension. These stories are pretty boring if we have no real reason to believe that the protagonists are ever in any real danger. Also, I don't care about any of this "democratizing of the Force" or whatever people are talking about, Sabine having Force powers is boring. It's especially boring if all you're going to set up as antagonists are faceless mooks that pose no threat to anyone. That, and Sabine's thing in Rebels was that she didn't need Force powers because she was a skilled fighter and, again, if the majority of your antagonists are just mooks, that's all you need to be a badass.

Honestly, I rolled my eyes at that bit because any hope I had of this season ending on a note of "well, hope Hera was able to galvanize the NR, because we failed" just disappeared.

"If everyone is a superhero (Jedi), no one is"

Also this finale was a disaster in storytelling and had yet more action without any emotional stakes or interesting dialogue.

Watching Star Wars action and Lightsaber fights is like watching an episode of Power Rangers, it's that devoid of any tension or meaning (and Zombie Troopers were pretty much just as goofy as anything you'd expect in Power Rangers).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 4, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Did you not like the aesthetic of episode 6? I felt that was the best looking episode of the season, and it wasn't directed by Filoni.

I thought 5 definitely looked the best, with 6 looking very volume-y, but good enough for it. I think 6 just had more fanservice with Ezra and Thrawn, while 5 had the best pacing, shots (WBW is a good use for TV setup), etc. I also thought Mando episode 1 and the guest episode in Boba are the other bests the non Andor TV has looked.

Probably part of what makes Andor so good is that it's not worried about action sequences and is instead focusing on writing drama.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Grand Admiral, you have poo poo your pants, and then your pants fell down and you stepped on your pants, and your dick was in your zipper and you kept pulling and your dick got yanked off and is now in the pile of poo poo in the pants that are around your ankles."

*strokes chin* "Hmm. Yes. Acceptable losses. The plan continues apace."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I felt kinda sorry for Thrawn when his actually good plan of "shoot them with big lazers while they're on horses" was defeated by the heroes deploying plot armor and just kinda riding through it.

It's a bit poo poo when the heroes aren't actually outsmarting anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Necrothatcher posted:

I felt kinda sorry for Thrawn when his actually good plan of "shoot them with big lazers while they're on horses" was defeated by the heroes deploying plot armor and just kinda riding through it.

It's a bit poo poo when the heroes aren't actually outsmarting anyone.

Basic screenwriting would be to make the passage cost them something. It was loud, but ultimately weightless. Okay you're not gonna kill off any main cast members fine: have the hermit crab people show up as the cavalry while the turbolaser hits get more and more accurate to cover them with their RVs, and have a few get blown up. Quick cut away of a hermit crab guy laying motionless in the wreckage. We from the Rebel Medallion it's the guy Sabine made pals with. Sad strings, single tear.