Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Call me an outlier but personally I think the Ishikawa Getter manga are all pretty terrible and while he was a fantastic artist like most early manga creators he never really gets better than the lower side of average as a writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory (the IVth season, get it) was pretty great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory (the IVth season, get it) was pretty great.

It was good though it moved a little more quickly through the plot than I would like to have seen for a series that didn't finish off the story in one shot. I am hopeful that we see FMP! Vindication or whatever sometime in the next year or two that takes it to the end.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Pootybutt posted:

nope

What's a good Getter Robo anime to start with?

Shin Getter Robo is the best Getter Robo anime period, but lets be honest.

Read the Manga. Start with Getter Robo, then Getter Robo G, then Go, then Shin.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Booky posted:

g witch rules

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://www.siliconera.com/aniplex-will-release-blu-rays-of-past-anime-movies/

Aniplex is releasing a bunch of older movies in 4k (japan only but I'm pretty sure 4k format isn't region locked?) and that includes the Gurren Lagann movies at the end of this month. Might be worth it depending on the price (and assuming they would work on any player).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm playing 13 Sentinels. It's good!

I am, however, not good. In fact I'm quite terrible. I'm stuck at 3-2, just got completely overwhelmed when I tried to play it. Any tips on how to build the characters and play it? Should I just swallow my pride and play on easy from now on?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't have any advice because I played on the old patch and mostly spammed turret drones and I think they nerfed those, but there's nothing wrong with playing on easy if you just want to get through the battles. They aren't really the core appeal of the game anyway.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched Lelouche of the Re;Surrection over the weekend, and it’s so funny that my girlfriend and I went from watching the series of Code Geass to Jojo, because there’s so much Jojo DNA in the former. Re;Surrection’s villain’s power is just a couple tweaks away from Bites the Dust from JJBA Part 4.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yo, watched Dark City and immediately had the urge to rewatch Megazone. You guys wanna know what movie is sick, Megazone, also Dark City, also Streets of Fire and Devil's Advocate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Yo, watched Dark City and immediately had the urge to rewatch Megazone. You guys wanna know what movie is sick, Megazone, also Dark City, also Streets of Fire and Devil's Advocate.

Ah, Streets of Fire is a film for people going nowhere.

Bullbuster's this season's new mecha anime. Anyone else planning to give it a go? Corporate mecha's been the focus before a few times, but I'm curious as to the angles this one will take.

(Also, if you count it, there's Pluto. But there's no surprises there. Pluto is just real good.)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Bullbuster's this season's new mecha anime. Anyone else planning to give it a go? Corporate mecha's been the focus before a few times, but I'm curious as to the angles this one will take.

(Also, if you count it, there's Pluto. But there's no surprises there. Pluto is just real good.)

Is Bull buster gonna be crunchy roll exclusive?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm a bit through the first episode, but I think if you liked DaiGuard you'll probably like this too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Nothing wrong with that, as long as they're going there fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Bull buster gonna be crunchy roll exclusive?

Seems so, but it's hard to tell. Most sites don't care enough to list much about it. And right now, I don't blame them.

It's almost unfair to compare any show to Patlabor, since Patlabor is amazing, but I feel like it's worth repeating sometimes. Patlabor is amazing. It's able to juggle comedy, character drama, spy thriller, mech action, and more in a way that all of those subgenres feel natural to the cast and the setting. It's the mechs-outside-warfare show. And it's the standard that shows like Bullbuster will be measured against. The rock that will break them.

And it's breaking already. Bullbuster has office paperwork gags, like Patlabor, but it seems to think that "Ha ha! Paperwork!" is joke enough. He hasn't renewed his license! Laugh because it's so relatable!

But that's the thing. It's relatable, sure. But it's not a joke. It needs more of a push to be a proper joke, and the show barely pushes anything that far. Like, sure. The guy wanting to jazz up the logo coming in with mecha anime reference designs? That's a joke. It plays off the contrast between the "realistic" setting and the mech anime dreams of the protagonist. But having paperwork isn't anything these days. Chainsaw Man has a scene of the hero filling out mountains of paperwork. Patlabor leaned into proper office comedy when it came up, but this show feels like it thinks the existence of office comedy setups... but with mechs(!) is enough by itself.

Kind of disappointing so far, even aside from the CG ranging from passible to outright bad in fights, after Synduality and 86 had pretty decent CG action. But hey. Not much else in the way of giant robots to watch this season. Doesn't hurt much to give it a try.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm a bit through the first episode, but I think if you liked DaiGuard you'll probably like this too.

I just finished watching it and :same:. Curious to see where it goes since it's far less of a comedy than Dai-Guard, but I enjoyed it and it's nice to have salaryman mecha again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Second episode come and gone, and my main impression is how absurdly cheap everything is. Mech repairs, which ran unexpectedly high, were less than a mid-range gaming laptop. A full corporate rebranding cost them less than half the price of a new iPhone.

It's deeply weird, and weirder how no-one mentions it. It makes the accountant feel insane. He's basically being the guy complaining about people using too many sheets of toilet paper, but people don't respond like he's doing that.

Also, the setting is confusing. Someone makes a super fighting robot, but then is shocked to find out they're fighting giant monsters. The island was evacuated, but no-one knows anything except one tiny construction company and the shady megacorp. It doesn't really hold together. You don't make combat robots for regular pest control, and yet that's just what the protagonist did.

I like the high concept, but the details aren't coming together well at all. We don't even get a dynamic and engaging cast to distract from that, with Mikiyasu Shinshi alone showing more dynamism than the whole cast so far. A pity, really.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first fight it got into had it nearly getting totaled, so I don't think Bullbuster is supposed to be a combat robot, just a next step forward for that company's machines that could take on a lot of jobs. Okino built it for a big company, and those don't give the greenlight on something if the pitch is something silly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://youtu.be/Xt5uJ7fLqUQ

so it looks like bang bravern's whole deal is that it's a gritty real robot series but the protagonist is basically american weeb gai daigoji

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

King gainer blu ray is up on the cr store, end of year release.

https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/overman-king-gainer-complete-series-blu-ray-875707036726.html

I've never seen it but heard lots about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a show I wish I liked more, it's very much the missing piece between Turn A and GReco

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blockhouse posted:

https://youtu.be/Xt5uJ7fLqUQ

so it looks like bang bravern's whole deal is that it's a gritty real robot series but the protagonist is basically american weeb gai daigoji

has to be a crime to have brave in the title twice and have that logo and not be a brave show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks fun, hopefully Obari gets creative with the action scenes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

The first fight it got into had it nearly getting totaled, so I don't think Bullbuster is supposed to be a combat robot, just a next step forward for that company's machines that could take on a lot of jobs. Okino built it for a big company, and those don't give the greenlight on something if the pitch is something silly.

I mean, if a robot can get into a grapple with a monster the size of a hippo and take less than a thousand bucks worth of damage, then it's pretty impressive as a combat robot in any realistic setting.

The show's "realistic" in that it spends a lot of time on the boring poo poo that most anime handwave or rush through, but then it has a tiny company primarily working as pest control manage to make the most advanced combat robots in the world, and a chemical company managing a coverup that makes the Moon Landing conspiracy crowd proud. A whole island has to be evacuated due to giant monsters, and yet nobody has said as much as a whisper to the JSDF, the EAJ, or even a tabloid. They even had a youtuber show up on the island and get attacked by a monster without anyone suggesting that, maybe, a random rear end subdivision of a pest-control company that hasn't even bothered to buy access to satellite images of the island (another potential leak source) might not be enough.

The show isn't funny as a comedy, exciting as an action show, or compelling as character drama. It's just a boring second rate version of a PA Works workplace anime.

I mean, I've seen this ground before. From manga about the goofy antics of the small family company subcontracted to build the Zaku I to Special Vehicles Section 2 having to fight dinosaurs, the humor of giant robots in mundane situations is a good time, but this show doesn't do either half well enough to be enjoyable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kingtheninja posted:

King gainer blu ray is up on the cr store, end of year release.

https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/overman-king-gainer-complete-series-blu-ray-875707036726.html

I've never seen it but heard lots about it.

it is very good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, I've seen this ground before. From manga about the goofy antics of the small family company subcontracted to build the Zaku I to Special Vehicles Section 2 having to fight dinosaurs, the humor of giant robots in mundane situations is a good time, but this show doesn't do either half well enough to be enjoyable.

If the show sucks stop watching it, this is two or three mecha series in a row that you've done detailed reviews of with your disdain just dripping off the screen. You mentioned an "I must bear witness" kink with your Kyoukai Senki Let's Watch last year but life is too short to watch hours of lovely cartoons.

Unless you're getting paid $1/word for some viral marketing deal but you can't mention the payment, in which case holler holler get dinar, I guess.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I demand a stringent record of every terrible mecha anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind the record keeping.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I did quote him to be fair, so it's not like he's saying it to a wall or anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont have energy to watch another mecha anime i dislike after spending 26 episodes and a thinly veiled recap movie wondering when zegapain would get interesting. no energy that is, until zegapain 2. i bet they can make one i'll like this time

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I, for one, am watching Bullbuster not out of a searing sense of duty-driven angst to record my contempt for posterity, but because I dig the cast and setting and find the character dynamics and the workplace drama compelling in exactly the way chiasaur doesn't. Weird how that sometimes happens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit record-keeping, and a bit of excessive stubborn, but those aren't the only things. It's only half an hour a week, after all. Not exactly a major obligation. And, well, I paraphrase the immortal philosopher here.

When you watch an episode of really good anime, you try to immerse yourself in that show. You focus all your senses on what you're watching. How it sounds, how it looks, how it feels to take in. You savor the experience. But when you watch an episode of absolutely horrid anime, you do everything possible to NOT immerse yourself in it. You try to shut out your senses from what you're watching. Inevitably, you try to stave off the assault on your poor innocent eyes by mentally comparing it to all the better anime you've seen in your life, reliving each anime in comparison to the godforsaken sludge you're pouring in your eyeballs right now. So when you watch a good episode of anime, you're only watching that one episode... but when you watch a bad episode of anime, you remember every good episode you ever watched. And at my advanced age, that's a helluva lot of good anime.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think we need to philosophize on or even really justify why someone may find interest in experiencing and analyzing shows that would otherwise be passed over for being bad

sometimes there's just joy in the critical process and bad things tend to be interesting to analyze in ways that aren't always found in higher quality works

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

I demand a stringent record of every terrible mecha anime.

such is the hobby, truly

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If we were interested in good shows, we wouldn't be in this fandom.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i am interested in good shows, and dont enjoy watching the bad ones

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

If we were interested in good shows, we wouldn't be in this fandom.

I like mecha shows because they're good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

personally i am interested in good shows, and dont enjoy watching the bad ones

some people aren't you

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial opinion: bad movies can be funny sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

controversial opinion: bad movies can be funny sometimes

And for all other bad movies: There's MST3K to make them funny.