Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shard posted:

Oh man I just got to the bisexual episode of sex in the city. Jesus Christ.

It's really really bad, and TV is still terrible about portraying bisexuals, especially male ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Kwyndig posted:

It's really really bad, and TV is still terrible about portraying bisexuals, especially male ones.

What do you think of David on Schitt's Creek? (Although after looking it up, it was specified that he is pansexual.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shard posted:

Oh man I just got to the bisexual episode of sex in the city. Jesus Christ.

I legitimately dislike very few things (puppies, laughter, the person reading this) but sex and the city is one of them

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I believe in the theory that Marla Singer represents the narrator's feminine side, as Tyler Durden represents their masculine side. She is just as much in the narrator's head as Tyler is; nobody in the movie interacts with her other than the narrator and Tyler; not the men of Project Mayhem, not the people in the testicular cancer support group, nobody.

Also, I haven't read the book so idk whether it fits in to the same interpretation.

Marla interacts with other people in the book. Project mayhem flunkies well as some of the support group people, if I'm remembering correctly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
she also steals meals from meals on wheels.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
^

But Brad Pitt "does stuff" too. I suppose if we're going with the Marla is imaginary theory then it is Ed Norton stealing from Meals on Wheels, the same way it is Ed Norton who is actually running Project Mayhem because Brad Pitt's not real.

I haven't seen it since it was new though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

I believe in the theory that Marla Singer represents the narrator's feminine side, as Tyler Durden represents their masculine side. She is just as much in the narrator's head as Tyler is; nobody in the movie interacts with her other than the narrator and Tyler; not the men of Project Mayhem, not the people in the testicular cancer support group, nobody.

She is kidnapped by the members of Project Mayhem. That's interaction.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And today in class we're going to learn that bias of interpretation is real-- everyone imposes their personal framing onto a work-- and a good thing that enables us to interpret works beyond what the authors almost certainly intended but may in-fact be consistent reads by coincidence and circumstance.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Yet another reason Crazy Ex-girlfriend is one of the best shows I think I've ever seen.

Middle aged average looking guy comes out as bi. Gets into a healthy relationship. Gets a great couple of songs out of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Marla being imaginary is a very funny read bc it means the narrator is being kept up all by his OCs loving in his head and anyway its now canon for me

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Yet another reason Crazy Ex-girlfriend is one of the best shows I think I've ever seen.

Middle aged average looking guy comes out as bi. Gets into a healthy relationship. Gets a great couple of songs out of it.

You can’t just post that and not follow up with a video:

https://youtu.be/5e7844P77Is?si=40zk5FbdU-d27Wkv

The songs on that show were so great. (And man, I miss Adam Schlesinger. It’s rare for me to get upset about a celebrity death, but he absolutely died way too soon.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Old One posted:

Fight Club is based on the cacophony society which is fairly left leaning as a whole but does have some libertarian tech bro membership. I don’t think they beat each other up though, that was Chuck Palalananauk’s homoerotic male bonding fantasy. Of course IRL it would have been over in a few weeks when someone dies.

I haven’t been able to take the movie seriously after getting old and getting my war and depression listening to Jack monologue about the awful life of a man who got a business degree, stable job, and through his own lack of discipline becomes a depressed insomniac ultra-consumer.

Also the part where a dehydrated peak brad pit comments on masculine body imagery in advertising.

I still like the movie but I can’t think too hard about what’s going on.

OK, you are aware that in Fight Club Brad Pitt isn't real, right? And that he specifically says "I look like you want to look"? He's talking about masculine body imagery in advertising because that is exactly what the real Tyler has bought into. He's every bit as much a reflection of Tyler's dissatisfaction with life as the IKEA furniture.

And it's meant to be puerile whining. Tyler has got everything he was told he'd need to have a good happy life and there's still a gaping hole in it, because he's basically a manchild who won't look beyond his own happiness. He has this discussion with himself at one point, when he's talking about how men's lives are defined by women and muses that maybe a woman is the last thing he needs. He doesn't want someone to love, he doesn't want someone to share with, he doesn't care if anyone else is happy and he doesn't want to make anyone else happy. And most of all, he doesn't want to share responsibility for anything he does while everyone else does what he wants.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marla is confused by Ed Norton’s behavior, in the sense that she doesn’t realize why he sometimes fucks like Brad Pitt and sometimes is a passive little wiener. I don’t know that she would behave that way if he made her up. Her confusion only makes sense after the reveal that Tyler doesn’t exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The late 90s was a period of society audibly creaking under sheer contradictions if you were actually paying any attention; we had been assured Racism And Sexism Are Over, and yet as a lot of media shows there really wasn't actually any material progress on that, in fact poo poo got much worse with the crime bill and growing inequality as the boomers visibly pulled up the ladder. Body image in particular hit its worst in what's been called Heroin Chic in retrospect, where teenage girls having eating disorders was already a punchline, and toxic masculinity was reaching about equally cartoonish levels of unrealistic expectations before spilling over in the more raw misogyny of the 00s.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

oldpainless posted:

I legitimately dislike very few things (puppies, laughter, the person reading this) but sex and the city is one of them

That's 2 things

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

My wife and I watched it all back in 2006 so we wanted to do it again too see how it ages. It's been really fun screaming at the TV and at Carrie

My big thing right now is how she smokes all the time and people go on about how good she smells. She smokes in her house she smokes in other people's houses she smoked in a drat house farm next to the horses. She would smell good awful never mind how it works taste too kiss her

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tokelau All Star posted:

What do you think of David on Schitt's Creek? (Although after looking it up, it was specified that he is pansexual.)
A relevant scene. Shame I can't find it in higher quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHYlJTqud0

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Schitt's Creek took a few episodes to really hook me but drat what an amazing show once I was on board. David is such a whiney awful jerk that is somehow also endearing and lovable.

Everyone else is great too, we were just talking about David.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Internet Old One posted:

Also the part where a dehydrated peak brad pit comments on masculine body imagery in advertising.

:thejoke:
He's commenting on a picture of himself

It's not a movie meant to be taken seriously.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

What do you think of David on Schitt's Creek?

Exploitative, contrived, fake, and worst of all, not funny enough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The songs on that show were so great. (And man, I miss Adam Schlesinger. It’s rare for me to get upset about a celebrity death, but he absolutely died way too soon.)

Qft

e: there’s one Ivy album I still haven’t listened to, and I should but when it’s over it’s over and that’s gonna be really sad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Exploitative, contrived, fake, and worst of all, not funny enough.

The pansexual guy who wrote and starred as the character is fake and exploitative? It's cool if you didn't find it funny, I'm just checking on the other stuff.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

FreudianSlippers posted:

:thejoke:
He's commenting on a picture of himself

It's not a movie meant to be taken seriously.

Hmm, I just checked, and the Gucci model is headless on the picture. Is this really him on the advert?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, I just checked, and the Gucci model is headless on the picture. Is this really him on the advert?

Yeah, it's mentioned on the commentary track and is a fairly well known film fact.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'd love to rewatch Sex in the City and wish it was on Netflix. Total turn off brain show. I'm glad she ruined things with Aiden, she didn't deserve him

I'm going back and reading through the entire thread to kill time at work and man I wish this was still true lol.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

Marla being imaginary is a very funny read bc it means the narrator is being kept up all by his OCs loving in his head and anyway its now canon for me

This is my OC, Tyler the hedgehog

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shard posted:

I'm going back and reading through the entire thread to kill time at work and man I wish this was still true lol.

i watched the first movie and not the second and not the new series and i'm very happy with where i stopped

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

or he's dry humping a dirty bed like an animal.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Giving yourself the Ultimate Stranger

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

PhazonLink posted:

So he’s actually Jay Bilzerian from Big Mouth, got it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is my OC, Tyler the hedgehog

:drat:

:mods:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Internet Old One posted:

Note to director: Brad Pitt is the last person you want to cast to make this point.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Agreed. Another thing I liked was showing her dump all her meds down the drain in the first episode and the show actually treats it as a Bad Move. Almost every other show or movie presents someone taking psych meds as a pill head who uses it as a crutch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How has Something About Mary aged? I never watched it in the first place but I wondered how it holds up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shard posted:

How has Something About Mary aged? I never watched it in the first place but I wondered how it holds up.

The horrible people are treated as horrible so that's a plus at least.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Read that as "Something Awful Mary" and I was wondering if there was an internet celebrity who started in the forums or the front page I wasn't aware of.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Something Awful Mary is currently in custody awaiting trial after being filmed teabagging the desk of Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) during the January 6th riot.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shard posted:

I'm wondering now. I can't remember any racism or homophobia. There are two instances of able people playing people with a disability, but I don't remember any joking at their expense, and in fact the film goes out of its way to show people who treat them badly get a comeuppance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Torquemada posted:

I'm wondering now. I can't remember any racism or homophobia. There are two instances of able people playing people with a disability, but I don't remember any joking at their expense, and in fact the film goes out of its way to show people who treat them badly get a comeuppance.

Isn't that the movie where Ben Stiller goes to a rest stop right as it gets raided by the cops because gay people are using it as a hook-up spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Len posted:

Isn't that the movie where Ben Stiller goes to a rest stop right as it gets raided by the cops because gay people are using it as a hook-up spot?

This does happen, yes. I'm not an expert, but this doesn't seem homophobic? It's not presented as a bad thing at least.