Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grondoth posted:

He doesn't have to, man; it's all there. Whether it's the Rapture, the Storm, the Day of the Rope, or MOASS, it's the same drat thing.

Yeah, that part felt clearly implicit without him pausing to outline the similarity.

No.1 Special posted:

Patrick H Willems - Who is Killing Cinema - A Murder Mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQF82Kj-v0E

Seems like a downer.

This was a downer, but man I don't even know if movies are worth saving. He talks a lot about missing the theater-going experience, but to me, it feels like that kind of entertainment is going the way of the stage play, something fully eclipsed by newer media and now regulated to a niche audience. Whether or not their artistic value merits survival, the financial incentives seem pretty solidly stacked against it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ulvir posted:

the only thing I really knew about these “apes” was that a bunch of nerds bought gamestop stocks at the start of the pandemic when it happened, but that quickly faded into obscurity for me afterwards. I was not prepared for the sheer insanity this whole mess had devolved into over the last two years.
by its nature its a movement where anyone with any sense will bail out over time, and when they bail out they no longer have any investment - quite literally. with an apocalypse cult you can get disinterested in it and then some new thing will happen and you will come back to it and be able to pick up right where you left off with no actual cost on your part. with this you'd have to actually repurchase stock in gamestop.

so yeah, this level of insanity makes sense. every single day is like june 7th 2006 for the 6/6/06 apocalypse believers.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The big lesson behind the Gamestop fiasco is that the house always wins, no matter what. Getting into whether on not the gamblers were secretly bad people for trying to beat it seems kind of pointless in that light.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not frustrating that they tried to beat the house, it's that they fail to learn their lesson.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think they see it as gambling

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The big lesson behind the Gamestop fiasco is that the house always wins, no matter what. Getting into whether on not the gamblers were secretly bad people for trying to beat it seems kind of pointless in that light.
some random, not especially rich (beyond having the spare cash to throw in) people did actually make money, just like crypto or NFTs. and just like those things, by the time the news was reporting on it those people had already cashed out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No.1 Special posted:

Patrick H Willems - Who is Killing Cinema - A Murder Mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQF82Kj-v0E

Seems like a downer.

Maybe it's just because I don't like this guy's videos much and don't find him funny, but this video was incredibly tedious to sit through and hilariously summed up by its first five minutes where he goes over the long history of people freaking out over how cinema is dead, but swears it's real this time and then implies anyone who doesn't like the movies he does are just stupid. It's like an hour about how franchises are bad, except for the ones before 2000; those are good. Movie stars are dead because they don't make movies marketed solely around the lead actor in them anymore and just kind of ignores the fact that while the recent trends have been especially egregious: the modern poo poo is just an extreme of what hollywood has done for basically ever, find something that works and run it into the ground until it doesn't anymore while everyone else tries to jump on the train before someone's left bankrupt and ruined in the end of it. There have always been bad movies and popular cycles and the studios have always done their best to curate and control what the public wants and sees and it's really weird to blame the trendsetter for everyone else running after the trend. Or should like, no one ever do anything different ever because "this is how it's always worked"?

The weirdest part, to me at least, is how he talks about how dramas and such used to be so popular during the 80's through the 90's and such, then goes on to talk about how marvel movies have been around for so gosh darn long people are finally getting tired of them! And yeah, yeah they are. It takes a while, but people tend to get tired of the genre that dominates for a few decades. It's just weird that, that kind of thought only applies towards the thing he doesn't like, and not the thing he grew up with and likes. Which, you know, is really just my take away: things are different and he's mad about it. Video rental? Good. DVD Rental from netflix? Bad! Ruined the industry, won't someone think about the poor studios! Except, you know, where studios are bad now because it's not the 90's anymore.

I guess my point is that studios and executives have always sucked and never been good, cinema isn't dying and this video sucks and gently caress anyone who gives a single poo poo about ~the theater experience~.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ghostlight posted:

Olsen drops the word "apocalyptic" several times during the video so I was quite surprised he never took a turn to discuss literal apocalyptic religious cults organised around revealed secret knowledge whose memberships respond to the non-eventuation of the End by doubling down in faith and the same kind of twisted logic to rearrange their revelations to align with a new date.

I mean I don't think he needs to. Besides the fact he arguably already did, if you know and understand what the word 'apocalyptic' means in its actual meaning then you get what he's saying, and if you don't and are confused by his use of the term, the quick googling or dictionary/wiki look you'll take will explain it.

MOASS is the Second Coming or whatever, it's the apocalyptic final event of history that will destroy the villains, reward the righteous, and end all struggle and pain - for the good guys - and bring forth a glorious new era.

I was listening to the Behind the Bastards talk about Scott Adams recently and they mention how Adams and a lot of other New Atheists keep reinventing Christianity although only in its most selfish and awful forms, and yeah. Secular capitalists keep creating messianic doomsday cults wearing the mask of secularism.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair the problems in those regards have definitely gotten worse in the past decade or so. theres always been dominant genres but there used to be more variety even in big budget hollywood movies outside of whatever genre was dominant at the moment, and trends partly changed as a result of that. the current dominant genre would die and then other things would become breakout hits and replace it. see the shift from drama in the 90s to action epics in the 2000s because of lord of the rings. people are getting tired of MCU movies but the thing replacing it is... what, super mario?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember Red Notice

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

to be fair the problems in those regards have definitely gotten worse in the past decade or so. theres always been dominant genres but there used to be more variety even in big budget hollywood movies outside of whatever genre was dominant at the moment, and trends partly changed as a result of that. the current dominant genre would die and then other things would become breakout hits and replace it. see the shift from drama in the 90s to action epics in the 2000s because of lord of the rings. people are getting tired of MCU movies but the thing replacing it is... what, super mario?

Every issue rooted in capitalism has been getting worse, yeah. But it's something that's been ramping up for decades and just kind of blaming it on marvel and netflix feels like it's missing the forest for the trees. It's not even something unique to movies. Also, probably not super mario specifically but it seems like they're going to try and do a run of not poo poo video game adaptations now since mario and sonic did reasonably well. We went from a glut of book adaptations, to comics, and I guess now to video games now that they've kind of realized what an audience generally wants in an adaptation rather than just taking the name and doing whatever with it like the old pre-MCU comic movies. It's not that surprising honestly.

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Red Notice

No but I saw both Central Intelligence and Skyscraper because a family member used to be a huge fan of the rock. They were bad movies.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nuebot posted:

I guess my point is that studios and executives have always sucked and never been good, cinema isn't dying and this video sucks and gently caress anyone who gives a single poo poo about ~the theater experience~.

The theater experience owns, mostly.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was listening to the Behind the Bastards talk about Scott Adams recently and they mention how Adams and a lot of other New Atheists keep reinventing Christianity although only in its most selfish and awful forms, and yeah. Secular capitalists keep creating messianic doomsday cults wearing the mask of secularism.

This one was kind of enlightening to me as someone who used to read dilbert when younger. I thought Adams suffered brain rot in recent years but it turnedo ut he was always a weirdo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stillvisions posted:

Whang's video today is more interesting for the fact that it's sponsored *by* SomethingAwful. That seems like a bit of a shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTHEX7mR_0

So if we see a random wave of new folks, well, that might be why.

I don’t know if mentioning the front page in that ad is a great idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flying Zamboni posted:

For real.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This one was kind of enlightening to me as someone who used to read dilbert when younger. I thought Adams suffered brain rot in recent years but it turnedo ut he was always a weirdo

It was, oddly enough, something I started to notice while looking through discussions from former and current members of the LessWrong community - There are so many of them who specifically mention growing up in fundamentalist Christian households and then falling into Yudkowsky's cult of personality because it was the first time they were really exposed to secular ideas. Even among the "raised fundamentalist but converted to atheist as a teenager/adult" people I know personally, even when they've actively turned away from fundamentalist rhetoric, they still tend to carry a lot of mental baggage from their upbringing that informs their worldview. I've got at least one friend from that background who, while not involved in any sort of doomsday death cult, still has this very reactive, belligerent response to ANY viewpoints that contrast with his own that I suspect is largely a relic of his fundamentalist upbringing.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Flying Zamboni posted:

drat right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Correct

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eh, it's alright. However, I think the salient question is, whatever your personal feelings about movie theaters, do we still live in a world where that experience justifies a multibillion-dollar industry? And if it do, for how much longer?

The media landscape is different now, and for better or worse, there's no going back to the way things used to be.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't think they see it as gambling

Many gamblers don’t see themselves as suckers.

Anyway, I don’t see these guys as doomsday cultists so much as I see them as the victims of Gregor MacGregor who fell for his “Poyais” scam: Their minds cracked because if they acknowledged how truly hosed they were, their minds would break completely.

If you don’t know who Gregor MacGregor is, I would listen to the Dollop episode on him or the side chapter Mike Duncan dedicated to him in his Revolutions podcast. It is quite illuminating.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGOjHi-7MM

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cetw-9l9V9g
Warlockracy already tackling Baldur's Gate 3!
Spoiler warning for the entire game, especially the dark urge playthrough.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyVl14GgyE

Nerd City is back where he viciously attacks Gary Vee and his NFT marketing but is plugging his NFT project at the end?
What the gently caress? loving weird, man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, it's alright. However, I think the salient question is, whatever your personal feelings about movie theaters, do we still live in a world where that experience justifies a multibillion-dollar industry? And if it do, for how much longer?

The media landscape is different now, and for better or worse, there's no going back to the way things used to be.

I don’t want to live in a world without theaters. I want to see a new 3 million dollar horror movie or action film like Upgrade in a movie theater where it belongs instead of at home where I’ll be distracted for sure.

So yes it’s justified. It’s better than anything and we need to keep it. Even if it’s just Alamo drafthouses or niche theaters. That’s better than nothing.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Everyone’s got their preferences but for me personally, the theater experience means sitting through 30+ minutes of ads before the feature and then hoping you aren’t sharing the room with any loud disruptive idiots. No thanks; I’m happy waiting a few months so I can watch it undisturbed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just...don't show up early?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Just...don't show up early?

All of the ones I've ever gone to have started the ads playing at the time the movie is supposed to start. Maybe there are more before that but all the times I've been over the past like 5 years or so I showed up on time, or even a little late, and counted the 30+ minutes from there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
At least in my experience they only start the 20 minute trailer block on the listed movie start time. Logically the tech is to show up 20 minutes "late" but terrible awful looking trailers is kinda part of the experience at this point to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bakeneko posted:

All of the ones I've ever gone to have started the ads playing at the time the movie is supposed to start. Maybe there are more before that but all the times I've been over the past like 5 years or so I showed up on time, or even a little late, and counted the 30+ minutes from there.

Yeah I have never had this happen and I go to the movies all the time. I usually get there right at the showtime and I get maybe at most a few minutes of ads and then trailers.

I have had many theaters around me ranging from cinemark to amc, regal, whatever. This doesn’t happen if you show up at the right time

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I have never had this happen and I go to the movies all the time. I usually get there right at the showtime and I get maybe at most a few minutes of ads and then trailers.

I have had many theaters around me ranging from cinemark to amc, regal, whatever. This doesn’t happen if you show up at the right time

Hmm, maybe it's a UK thing then? It certainly didn't used to be that way but I've noticed the number of ads creeping up and up as the years have gone on. Sometimes there would even be separate blocks of ads before and after the trailers just to troll people who thought the trailers meant the movie was about to start soon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh then yeah probably. Idk what y’all do there with your movies lol

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Bakeneko posted:

Hmm, maybe it's a UK thing then? It certainly didn't used to be that way but I've noticed the number of ads creeping up and up as the years have gone on. Sometimes there would even be separate blocks of ads before and after the trailers just to troll people who thought the trailers meant the movie was about to start soon.

Here in poland given start date of the movie means this is where 20-30 minute ad block starts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in my experiance you should watch a movie in theaters soon as possible for the best experience the longer you wait the less interested the theater goers will be and its more likely they'll be annoying

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
See, I don't like going to the theatre because I'm a weird recluse who hates large crowds, but I also think the movie theatre experience is an important part of our culture that deserves to be preserved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw Upgrade opening night and there was like 5 people in the theater and the guys behind me were laughing and having just as good of a time as I was. When it was over I turned around and said yeah that ruled and they agreed.

It was cool.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
going to the cinema is sick as, it would suck if they went under, same way as if every acting theatre shut down

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Seeing a classic comedy in a packed theater is the best thing ever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

Seeing a classic comedy in a packed theater is the best thing ever

completely unrelated but keep fighting gearless joe

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet