Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It strikes me that you could probably do a good PBTA game with each splat by dialling in very specifically on the relevant tone of the monster you want to run and avoiding the whole "we need a core system that handles both political drama with bloodsuckers and van art wizard shenanigans" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think part of the problem here is that the really good games in this field tend to be about incredibly specific concepts that demand a high level of-buy-in and don't correspond to a lazy pre-existing trope -- so, like, Unknown Armies or Glitch or something -- whereas the World of Darkness's entire pitch is "here's the book for playing Dracula, he's the one for playing the Wolfman, here's the one for playing... Van Art Wizard?"

In some alternate future of my dreams, there’s a world where, instead of Mage; WoD’s next game was “Witch: The Black Pact”, where the focus was less on Van Art Wizards* and more on actual witch folklore from the Early Modern Era, as well as Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, Hammer horror movies, Italian giallo films, Black Sabbath albums, etc.Instead of consensual reality, PCs are people who gain power from literally sacrificing their souls to the Devil or its equivalent; a game of Black Masses and orgies at midnight.

* one of the ideas is that “true” Hermetic wizardly lost its power by the present day and its only remnant is the Tremere, who are still really only aping Hermetic magic through the vitae

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018
So has anyone got the new MET Vampire V5 book and has any opinions on it? I'm curious about it, but all I can see from discussion on their web presence is just them mass-promoting their bespoke LARP, and their Discord is nothing but feedback on their apparently very lovely editing (like, the amount of free editing community feedback that is happening is STAGGERING).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

spectralent posted:

It strikes me that you could probably do a good PBTA game with each splat by dialling in very specifically on the relevant tone of the monster you want to run and avoiding the whole "we need a core system that handles both political drama with bloodsuckers and van art wizard shenanigans" thing.

I don't think so, because one of the notable things about WoD games in general is how they establish a bunch of base-level rules for a given supernatural creature such that stereotypical behavior for that creature emerges organically from a bunch of concerns that aren't immediately visible from the outside. There's an "ohhh, that's why they..." factor, and also a separate "oh, that's clever, this one DOESN'T do that because instead it..." factor that's satisfying precisely because you, the player, understands what's going on under the hood.

Vampire and Vampire-derivatives are least satisfying when they just tell you to act spooky or depressed or whatever as opposed to setting up a detailed, realistic situation to which spookiness or depression are logical reactions. The fact that there's a mundane task resolution system which both regular people and monsters use to search 10x10 rooms for traps or file their taxes is part of it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

Is it Fate? I think it's Fate. Whenever I hear somebody who's actually invested in the Fate setting and not just gacha ladies go off about the deep lore everything about it pushes Mage the Ascension buttons in my brain. Unnecessarily complicated cosmology that on its surface draws from the collective impressions of human societies but in ways that are really particular and fiddly, mixtures of occult and technological terminology, a million preestablished characters whose personalities and adventures I can't be assed to learn, people who charge their MP by loving. Sometimes there are mages!

Sometimes the mages fight vampires!

I swear I heard somewhere (though for the life of me I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere) that a lot of the setting's early foundations came from the author's highschool oWoD homebrew campaign, so the resemblance might not be coincidental, at least on some level

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Gatto Grigio posted:

In some alternate future of my dreams, there’s a world where, instead of Mage; WoD’s next game was “Witch: The Black Pact”, where the focus was less on Van Art Wizards* and more on actual witch folklore from the Early Modern Era, as well as Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, Hammer horror movies, Italian giallo films, Black Sabbath albums, etc.Instead of consensual reality, PCs are people who gain power from literally sacrificing their souls to the Devil or its equivalent; a game of Black Masses and orgies at midnight.

* one of the ideas is that “true” Hermetic wizardly lost its power by the present day and its only remnant is the Tremere, who are still really only aping Hermetic magic through the vitae

I would have played the poo poo out of this. Also something based on broader folklore would have been cool. I really want a game based on early American folklore like Rip Van Winkle, the Headless Horseman, etc. I still need to check out the Zweihander expansion Flames of Freedom but the system seemed very crunchy.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Asterite34 posted:

I swear I heard somewhere (though for the life of me I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere) that a lot of the setting's early foundations came from the author's highschool oWoD homebrew campaign, so the resemblance might not be coincidental, at least on some level

There's thematic similarities, and Nasu is definitely the kind of nerd who would have been into Mage: the Ascension, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that Nasu and White Wolf were nerds for similar things and thus developed similar settings at the same time with minimal influence on each other. Not that we can prove he didn't read it, of course.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asterite34 posted:

I've heard a lot of speculation in both directions but iirc there's no hard evidence that the Type Moon people had any familiarity with the White Wolf RPGs.

It's easy to presume otherwise, though. There's a lot of similarity between the two.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MoonKnight posted:

So has anyone got the new MET Vampire V5 book and has any opinions on it? I'm curious about it, but all I can see from discussion on their web presence is just them mass-promoting their bespoke LARP, and their Discord is nothing but feedback on their apparently very lovely editing (like, the amount of free editing community feedback that is happening is STAGGERING).

Its fine, in the way that any game made for and by Vampire LARPers was going to be fine. A lot of the core rules are focused on making the ST's life easier- making the Mass Combat rules literally a "He dies, then she dies repeat until the last people standing claim victory" is at least an ethos, maaaaan.

The game is almost directly hewn to V5 lore and core mechanics- messy criticals, Hecata, lots of powers that were one-offs for clans are now just sidebars for the core disciplines.

Flattening the Loresheets into 3 steps rather than five is better for everyone involved, most of those big ideas are not strong enough to have five discrete ideas.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Just play Hobomancer for “American folklore magic.”

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Gerund posted:

Its fine, in the way that any game made for and by Vampire LARPers was going to be fine. A lot of the core rules are focused on making the ST's life easier- making the Mass Combat rules literally a "He dies, then she dies repeat until the last people standing claim victory" is at least an ethos, maaaaan.

The game is almost directly hewn to V5 lore and core mechanics- messy criticals, Hecata, lots of powers that were one-offs for clans are now just sidebars for the core disciplines.

Flattening the Loresheets into 3 steps rather than five is better for everyone involved, most of those big ideas are not strong enough to have five discrete ideas.

I expected it to be V5 in it's core, PDX doesn't do legacy stuff.

For mass combat, what? That's hilarious, no one is going to run those mass combat rules, LARPers are some of the ficklest I've ever met about characters dying. So basically combat's going to be a hella slog. I heard someone say that they 'pulled the teeth from Hunger,' is that true? Did they add any batshit stuff that is clearly 'big org' support like they did in V2?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dawgstar posted:

It's Relentless Age, yeah. Like the one of the first things it does is jettison 'kuei jin' and just call them the Hungry Dead and whatever they're called in a specific country is whatever the words for 'hungry dead' are in that country.

Oh I was talking about that 5th Edition KotE that someone had linked also, called the Hungry Dead. It's straight up a rules conversion without any adjusting to, you know, not being racist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Oh I was talking about that 5th Edition KotE that someone had linked also, called the Hungry Dead. It's straight up a rules conversion without any adjusting to, you know, not being racist.

Can't speak to that one. I know hsienfan (whose actual name I don't know) is themselves Asian and brought a bit more sensitivity to things than just... 5E rules to KotE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheCenturion posted:

Just play Hobomancer for “American folklore magic.”

That just reminds me of Unknown Armies and how a lot of it comes off as basically supernatural bumfights, at least with the weird gimmick magicians who hack magic into reality with particular kinds of obsessions. Also gives me weirdly Venture Bros vibes.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That just reminds me of Unknown Armies and how a lot of it comes off as basically supernatural bumfights, at least with the weird gimmick magicians who hack magic into reality with particular kinds of obsessions. Also gives me weirdly Venture Bros vibes.

The vibes totally make sense! Both are about obsession and failure and obsessive failures who still very very very rarely take the W because of the alignment of the stars.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gatto Grigio posted:

Just want to say I love this idea.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MoonKnight posted:

I expected it to be V5 in it's core, PDX doesn't do legacy stuff.

For mass combat, what? That's hilarious, no one is going to run those mass combat rules, LARPers are some of the ficklest I've ever met about characters dying. So basically combat's going to be a hella slog. I heard someone say that they 'pulled the teeth from Hunger,' is that true? Did they add any batshit stuff that is clearly 'big org' support like they did in V2?

The way it works is like a printed-in-book optional adjudication for use by STs when 10 people all in $600 costumes decide to throw down and you don't want to reward people who want to play out the clock for the hotel ballroom rental agreement mandatory hard-out; its better than taking it to emails for sure.

As for Hunger, the "teethiness" of the Hunger Dice for the recorded Actual Play Dramas can't be achieved, because the Vampire Larpers will never ever ever stop loving Rock Paper Scissors for everything; so instead the main deal with middle-tier hunger is that it makes you get more hunger and/or more morality stains depending on if you fail or eventually critically make those Rock Paper Scissors games.

The book is super ST-comfort centric; there are no extra celeritity rounds or stacks of re-tests (outside of staking, which is having to make 3 tests in a row to succeed but nigh-instantly disables a Vampire with remaining health levels). One action being one chop and everyone being able to attack once a round is, I say, cool.

Oh and there is no cap on attacks so rolling with a carpool of five friends like you're the Power Rangers is super effective.

e: also I dont see anything that obvious for Big Orgs other than Downtimes being exactly and always three actions... I'll have to see if anything is hidden in the Camarilla section.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 2, 2023

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Gerund posted:

The way it works is like a printed-in-book optional adjudication for use by STs when 10 people all in $600 costumes decide to throw down and you don't want to reward people who want to play out the clock for the hotel ballroom rental agreement mandatory hard-out; its better than taking it to emails for sure.

As for Hunger, the "teethiness" of the Hunger Dice for the recorded Actual Play Dramas can't be achieved, because the Vampire Larpers will never ever ever stop loving Rock Paper Scissors for everything; so instead the main deal with middle-tier hunger is that it makes you get more hunger and/or more morality stains depending on if you fail or eventually critically make those Rock Paper Scissors games.

The book is super ST-comfort centric; there are no extra celeritity rounds or stacks of re-tests (outside of staking, which is having to make 3 tests in a row to succeed but nigh-instantly disables a Vampire with remaining health levels). One action being one chop and everyone being able to attack once a round is, I say, cool.

Oh and there is no cap on attacks so rolling with a carpool of five friends like you're the Power Rangers is super effective.

e: also I dont see anything that obvious for Big Orgs other than Downtimes being exactly and always three actions... I'll have to see if anything is hidden in the Camarilla section.

Thanks for the breakdown. I have been the ST who had to take a forced combat to scene freeze/email, so I'd at least appreciate the threat of doing that type of conflict resolution to scare people into just being decent players and loving mediate.

Honestly, my 'teeth' comparison for Hunger isn't based on APs but hands-on play; like, someone told me you don't start having any Hunger-related complications til Hunger 3 in the book, which to me just makes it pointless until you get into a combat (because we know LARPers love their Kewl Powerz and the things that are built around combat in TT V5 that increase Hunger certainly seem like the only times you'll really hit that level in LARP).

I thought about backing it, but V2 was, frankly, absolutely shite. And War of Ages was an entire waste of money. So I wasn't going to invest in this to be burnt again, and I think I'm glad I didn't.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferrinus posted:

It's too much trouble to recount everything but one fun detail is we poured some of the black goo from Prometheus onto a nutrient algae block and came back in a few weeks to find a little spacefaring tardigrade civilization. They're frozen in time while we figure out the most ethical thing to do about the immortal Baron Harkonnen type who's become their god-emperor.

You left out that the black goo is a form of God-Machine Infrastructure. Known as the Catalyst, it is used to develop angels and other Infrastructure by evolving things into the "most perfect" version of themselves. We got this sample from a sewer alligator which had been heavily altered into a giant cybernetic sewer monster. This was probably an accident on the part of the God-Machine. (Then our Deviant made friends with a sewer guy who looks like the Flukeman from The X-Files.)

The Demon PC is not super thrilled about having Infrastructure down in the basement of the cabal's HQ-slash-home, although at least our Obrimos PC has managed to wrangle Forces and Time to keep it from phoning home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:spooky: There's a halloween spooky forum this month, and Pragmatica says we can temporarily move threads there if we want! If you guys would like this thread to go on a scary trip to the halloween land, let mods know and we can do it no problem. :spooky:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, let's do it, it's better than mage chat

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gods, I hope they make M5 and it brings us to levels before unimaginable of mage chat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Soonmot posted:

do you reckon GBS is a Lower Depth or an Abyssal history

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's where the Beasts come from

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ZearothK posted:

gods, I hope they make M5 and it brings us to levels before unimaginable of mage chat

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Soonmot posted:

It's where the Beasts come from

The Primordial Meme

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does anyone remember a thread, it may have been in an old VtM thread or maybe somewhere else, where a person told numerous horror stories about her awful experiences doing VtM LARPing?

There was some amazing and hilarious stuff in there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MrMojok posted:

Does anyone remember a thread, it may have been in an old VtM thread or maybe somewhere else, where a person told numerous horror stories about her awful experiences doing VtM LARPing?

There was some amazing and hilarious stuff in there.

Was it maybe this one? (Archives needed obviously.)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That is the one, thank you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZearothK posted:

The Order of Hermes is gone.
Verbena are all those women I'm mad at on Twitter.
All Virtual Adepts are literally Elon Musk.
The Technocracy is woke now.

Also, if you roll all 1s on a magick roll, mark one Voidsent Point on your sheet. At five Voidsent Points, you become a Nephandus, which are now Abyssal Exalts.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Soonmot posted:

nothing is better than mage chat (awakening)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nothing is better than mage chat (ascension)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
oh so we're just scelesti posting now

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nessus posted:

The Order of Hermes is gone.
Verbena are all those women I'm mad at on Twitter.
All Virtual Adepts are literally Elon Musk.

Also, if you roll all 1s on a magick roll, mark one Voidsent Point on your sheet. At five Voidsent Points, you become a Nephandus, which are now Abyssal Exalts.

I moved for a time to a town that's a hub for esoteric communities (TBF it does have one of the crystals that protect the world) and I hung out with people who legit think of themselves as the equivalent of Dreamspeakers, Cultists of Ecstasy, Verbena, Akashics and Hermetics, and I even joined in some retreats where those practices happened, it is a pretty crazy world. Sadly no one was fun enough to be an Euthanatoi. BTW, what would Qabbalists fit into, Ahl-i-Batini?

also what's the tradition for the people who think eating germinating seeds will teach their DNA how to do photosynthesis, as first taught by Jesus Christ?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nessus posted:

The Technocracy invented gender equality, so this checks out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

More Blood Sigils preview.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Technocracy invented gender equality, so this checks out.
The ultimate question of Ascension: are women bourgeois?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fuzz posted:

More Blood Sigils preview.

Wasn't he the Assamite Justicar now?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Goddamn, adding this to the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023