Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ostriches seem like every rear end in a top hat rooster I've been around, only 10x larger and proportionately more terrible. Good on that elephant and giraffe for not putting up with their poo poo.

Ratites are irrefutable proof that birds are just dinosaurs that survived Chixulub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
In 1994, German publisher Heyne lost the rights to publish their translations of Terry Pratchett's work. Why? Because they inserted an ad for loving SOUP into the text. https://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

quote:

There were a number of reasons for switching to Goldmann, but a deeply personal one for me was the way Heyne (in Sourcery, I think, although it may have been in other books) inserted a soup advert in the text … a few black lines and then something like ‘Around about now our heroes must be pretty hungry and what better than a nourishing bowl’… etc, etc. My editor was pretty sick about it, but the company wouldn’t promise not to do it again, so that made it very easy to leave them. They did it to Iain Banks, too, and apparently at a con he tore out the offending page and ate it. Without croutons.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

In 1994, German publisher Heyne lost the rights to publish their translations of Terry Pratchett's work. Why? Because they inserted an ad for loving SOUP into the text. https://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

Heyne marketing director, one Herr Dibbler, could not be reached for comment.

Wingnut Ninja has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Oct 4, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Known in the publishing world as "Shoot-me-own-foot Dibbler"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That's incredible. I wonder just how many books they did something like that to.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
If that bird flew that far back weighing 400 lbs when the giraffe kicked him then giraffes have some insane kicking strength.
Next time I’m around giraffes I’ll make sure to be careful.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Borscht posted:

If that bird flew that far back weighing 400 lbs when the giraffe kicked him then giraffes have some insane kicking strength.
Next time I’m around giraffes I’ll make sure to be careful.

They're actually one of the more dangerous animals because of their kicks, they're basically stretchy horses. They can crush lion's skulls with them. A person in the wrong place would get obliterated.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PurpleXVI posted:

That's incredible. I wonder just how many books they did something like that to.

Apparently it was common practice for that publisher for decades as a way to claw back money on translations of genre fiction that might or might not make money.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

They're actually one of the more dangerous animals because of their kicks, they're basically stretchy horses. They can crush lion's skulls with them. A person in the wrong place would get obliterated.

How far you reckon it could kick a chicken?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Borscht posted:

You gotta reevaluate your life if this is the stuff that gets you off.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What if I elected it to the house of representatives?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Bad idea. You can never be sure how dumb, aggressive, panicky animals will behave. And the ostrich might not like it either.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kuros posted:

You gotta reevaluate your life if this is the stuff that gets you off.

The Big-Chicken defender has logged on. How many eggs are you getting?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Borscht posted:

Escape velocity easily:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol, it's going to be Kevin McCarthy again.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Totally get why it made him upset, but kinda hilarious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Borscht posted:

Far enough that it would cook it in the same instant.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Brain Curry posted:

https://youtu.be/jGL7Chg0kTg

Not just ostriches but all ratites

Kiwi are ratites and I will not hear a bad word against them :mad:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Me and a giraffe could beat up all the birds

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Me and a giraffe could beat up all the birds

I'm afraid the birds know secrets that they would use to manipulate the giraffe into betraying you.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Borscht posted:

i imagine it would look like a pigeon getting taken by a falcon, chicken there one second, the next its a pile of feathers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Personally-witnessed schad today; Some techbro dude with an expensive black sportscar that had "HODL" (other characters too, but respect for privacy etc) in a vanity licenseplate had clearly hooned round a corner at speed without looking and clipped the corner of his expensive car on oncoming traffic in a sidestreet. Other car had already left when I went by, but the look of "Aww gently caress" on their face while inspecting what I assume is an expensive-to-fix headlight was great :allears:.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Don't gently caress with 'raffes

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I love my chickens so much. I just now got four more eggs from them. I also harvested several jalapeños and an onion so if anyone wants spicy eggs let me know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My brain said the word "girratite" and I think I've invented the thing that eats owlbears.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

davidspackage posted:

lol, it's going to be Kevin McCarthy again.

Totally get why it made him upset, but kinda hilarious.

I'm not sure if there's a picture of it, but years after this all blew over, a fan at a convention had him sign the recipe portion of the book and Terry thought it was pretty funny.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

freeedr posted:

I love my chickens so much. I just now got four more eggs from them. I also harvested several jalapeños and an onion so if anyone wants spicy eggs let me know.

What kinda chickens you got that are laying jalapenos and onions

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

What kinda chickens you got that are laying jalapenos and onions

Chilekins

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PurpleXVI posted:

Many. Far, far too many.

It's a pity really, they used to be the "serious" genre publisher. Cheap outfits like Bastei used the be the ones where you expected ads in the middle of a paperback.

Well, when Heyne started that poo poo must have been around the time when I got good enough at English to recognise how poor some of the translations were, and started buying books in the original whenever I could find them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

freeedr posted:

Chilekins

Henbaneros.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Too spicy, I prefer cayhens

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hot chicken

Pepper peckers

Avieños

Capsaic-hens

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-10-04/airbnb-guest-refuse-pay-leave-luxury-rental

The short version: Rich doctor builds an addition to his house without getting it properly certified for occupancy and cuts some corners on it in general, rents it out as an AirBnB thing. The renter then refuses to leave, and cites that since the place isn't certified for occupancy, she doesn't have to pay rent, either. Local government agrees with her. Landlord tears occur, are very funny.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Irish far-right streamer tries to interview an antifascist
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1709582248633061831

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

I was hoping for more slapping to ensue. Still funny, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-10-04/airbnb-guest-refuse-pay-leave-luxury-rental

The short version: Rich doctor builds an addition to his house without getting it properly certified for occupancy and cuts some corners on it in general, rents it out as an AirBnB thing. The renter then refuses to leave, and cites that since the place isn't certified for occupancy, she doesn't have to pay rent, either. Local government agrees with her. Landlord tears occur, are very funny.

lol

ekuNNN posted:

lmao

just rofl in general

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

freeedr posted:

It’s neat that you have genetically engineered chickens that lay eggs, jalapeños, and onions. Next do cows that make different cheeses.

Bored has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Oct 4, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Red hot chili peckers.
drat IT why didn’t I say that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ekuNNN posted:

that owns on every level

Wish he would have told the interviewer to speak the language or get out to cover all the bases

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

My brain said the word "girratite" and I think I've invented the thing that eats owlbears.

That's just a Beak Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't unmute

No actual injuries

https://i.imgur.com/Fll9Cwk.mp4