Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chain Assassinate is that ability you describe. Quite possibly the most OP skill ever in the illustrious history of video games.

Warrior builds can be fun too, although they’re not quite so ridiculous. Equip a huge fuckoff mace and set fire to everything, including yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pretty sure she's talking about Fury of the Bloodlines. Chain assassination does not increase your meter(it reduces it by one point).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

victrix posted:

I dropped the series after that because I thought it needed a big rethink

So I came back for Origins and was quite happy with that and Odyssey

... now they're going back to the formula I lost interest in :shepface:

(Valhalla has problems too, we're at another "time for a refresh" point in the series)

I know it's been said a million times over but Valhalla was so loving disappointing compared to Origins and especially Odyssey.

There's a part of me that wants to give it a second chance but then I think about what an absolute slog that playing it was and I just...uuugh.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vandar posted:

I know it's been said a million times over but Valhalla was so loving disappointing compared to Origins and especially Odyssey.

There's a part of me that wants to give it a second chance but then I think about what an absolute slog that playing it was and I just...uuugh.

When I first played Origins I immediately thought "I hope they do Greek and Norse myths"

Be careful what you ask for

(Odyssey is great though so I guess if the price of that is a very mid Norse game, whatever)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The series is definitely suffering from burnout because, on paper, Valhalla is everything I want from an AC game and yet…

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Unity was for me, and yet…

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Valhalla was irritating because it had all the scope problems of Odyssey but stripped away the character progression and fun choice/consequence systems that make these 100-hour behemoth RPGs worth playing. Odyssey wasn't exactly Dragon Age in terms of how much you could affect the story but there were a lot of fun interactions and outcomes, it got the job done. Bioware has gone nowhere since 2018, BG3 just came out and showed everyone that people loving love these kinds of games, yet Ubisoft is "going back to the roots" aka making everything more boringer once more.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

exquisite tea posted:

Valhalla was irritating because it had all the scope problems of Odyssey but stripped away the character progression and fun choice/consequence systems that make these 100-hour behemoth RPGs worth playing.

I do understand a lot of criticism about Odyssey (very bad loot flood, unbalanced minuscule bonuses like +4% damage to animals, level gating making enemies a few levels higher than you insufferable, map design making completionism a psychological problem, inconsequential kitchen sink mechanics like capturing people to work on your ship, poorly explained difference between properly designed quests and randomly generated fillers, the fact that half of the properly designed quests feel like randomly generated filler, etc) but I had a lot of fun with it and it rivals any action RPG I've played. It's totally a Witcher 3 rip-off but unlike Witcher 3 it has working gameplay systems and alive open world. Witcher 3 is of course a much better written cohesive story but in my mind, it's a piece of media that contends with TV shows more than with games (and in this comparison it doesn't look that great).

I'd get the praise for coming back to roots if it was some forgotten genre. But we get these open-world action-adventure games with optional stealth all the time, including games from Ubisoft. AC Origins/Odyssey were closer to what Bethesda does and there aren't that many games like this!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Origins and Odyssey were both easy GOTY contenders for me, at least one being my actual GOTY at the time, but I didn't even finish Valhalla or think it was a good game. More of the same but worse is basically how I view it, where every bit of fatigue that might have accumulated from playing two huge (amazing) similar games combined with this one just not being up to snuff to make it feel like an unfun slog. Mirage being a smaller, more focused experience sounds interesting (even Origins and Odyssey were a little too big, as much as I loved them), but going back to stealth-heavy gameplay raises a red flag for me if that means more tedious instant fail tailing missions, so it's a wait and see game for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

Valhalla was irritating because it had all the scope problems of Odyssey but stripped away the character progression and fun choice/consequence systems that make these 100-hour behemoth RPGs worth playing. Odyssey wasn't exactly Dragon Age in terms of how much you could affect the story but there were a lot of fun interactions and outcomes, it got the job done. Bioware has gone nowhere since 2018, BG3 just came out and showed everyone that people loving love these kinds of games, yet Ubisoft is "going back to the roots" aka making everything more boringer once more.

yeah my problem with vahalla is its long shaggy dog story that wraps up most character progression in the first couple hours and then spins its wheels for like 50 hours until some rushed poo poo at the end. odyssey and origins worked so well because they heavly borrowed from the witcher 3 both in quest design/story pacing/vibe/having a likable main character. vahalla is just ehh. biowares issues is the bought into their own hype and then crashed into a wall like twice in a row and everyone is waiting to see if new DA will make it 3 for 3.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Origins and Odyssey were both easy GOTY contenders for me, at least one being my actual GOTY at the time, but I didn't even finish Valhalla or think it was a good game. More of the same but worse is basically how I view it, where every bit of fatigue that might have accumulated from playing two huge (amazing) similar games combined with this one just not being up to snuff to make it feel like an unfun slog. Mirage being a smaller, more focused experience sounds interesting (even Origins and Odyssey were a little too big, as much as I loved them), but going back to stealth-heavy gameplay raises a red flag for me if that means more tedious instant fail tailing missions, so it's a wait and see game for me.

exactly. both Origins and odyssey work because they have alot going on both on the surface and under the hood and the combat is good enough to carry both. vahalla just feels like a "gently caress it we have to do vikings" when its like 3 years late the to the viking craze and then just doesnt do anything with the setting like origins and odyssey does. I think mirage will be solid. it seems to be a good mix of origins and unity so ill buy it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

long shaggy Dag story

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah exactly. origins and odssey have their story and pacing issues but their stories have arcs or mini arcs and have fun good zone stories and side quests and lots of cool weird history poo poo. vahalla is just eivor loving around in a cleaned up sanatized viking adventure that goes no where. which sucks because i like some of the ideas. i like being part of the "second wave" of an "invasion" and now you have to keep the peace and make amends and bring peace and some unity toward now occupied territory. in better hands it could be great and parts of it are genuinly interesting. its just never goes anywhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't actually demand much of a combat system but Valhalla's was such a tangible step backwards from Odyssey and Origins that demands nothing of the player.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Had an urge to play one of these again recently and tried Valhalla again. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time round, but you very quickly realise just how much padding is in the game and how devoid it is of character or charm.

What really surprised me though is how unpolished it is. I was hitting a brick wall with bugs that have been in there since release. It came out three years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I don't actually demand much of a combat system but Valhalla's was such a tangible step backwards from Odyssey and Origins that demands nothing of the player.

i think its because its idk "too easy" origins isnt hard but it has a great rythem. odyssey is just a fun romp fights and every fight feels like fight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the idea of skills being books you find out in the world but they needed a way to let you choose what ability you wanted to learn. It's insane that you can go 60 hours without learning Spartan Tyr's Kick.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The idea sounds cool till you realize they had 350 or something like that skills to unlock. Making a bunch of actually interesting skills locked behind exploration meant that the skill tree is boring beyond your imaginaton.

I liked Odyssey system where after level 50 the game trusts you to understand what various stats do and directly improve them with skillpoints doubling down on a specific build. Origins and Valhalla have something similar but they only have +1% damage to one of three damage types while Odyssey says fine, if you want for some reason to get really deep into bonuses for tamed animals then sure, go on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mastery points were nice because they let you stack some absurd things like +110% crit chance when at full health or infinite time slow.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
*bursts into the thread from a nearby haypile, seemingly having been there the whole time*

Plot tastes are whatever but the combat/movement in Valhalla is almost objectively better than Odyssey, having played them both back to back within the same year. Shields, dual wielding, social stealth, the stomp, bows not being dogshit, less severe level gating, movement having a little weight, all good additions. High-level combat in Valhalla is an array of different options and styles, high-level combat in Odyssey is doing the Mordor teleport and the assassin strike that does 20,000% more damage than every other move or plinking away slowly at every enemy you meet.

They both out stay their welcome (and the DLC makes this even worse, I'd skip all of it) but at least when I wanted to mix it up in Valhalla I could mess around with dual flails or giant shield+tiny knife or something.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think Odyssey is a vastly better game than Valhalla but I don't know why people say Valhalla's combat is worse. Core combat is the only thing I liked, it felt cool. Abilities where relatively boring except for harpoon or whatever it is, but hacking and slashing in itself feels better in Valhalla. This coolness is nullified by lack of character builds, boring equipment, lack of mercenaries (though this is somewhat compensated by a large number of mini-bosses), but still it's one part of Valhalla that was improved, and apart from changes like additional accessibility options and removal of level gating I can't name any. Ah yes the wolf shirt is another good part of the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

*bursts into the thread from a nearby haypile, seemingly having been there the whole time*

Plot tastes are whatever but the combat/movement in Valhalla is almost objectively better than Odyssey, having played them both back to back within the same year. Shields, dual wielding, social stealth, the stomp, bows not being dogshit, less severe level gating, movement having a little weight, all good additions. High-level combat in Valhalla is an array of different options and styles, high-level combat in Odyssey is doing the Mordor teleport and the assassin strike that does 20,000% more damage than every other move or plinking away slowly at every enemy you meet.

They both out stay their welcome (and the DLC makes this even worse, I'd skip all of it) but at least when I wanted to mix it up in Valhalla I could mess around with dual flails or giant shield+tiny knife or something.

Wolfsheim posted:

I dont think its worse. i think it does the feel better then odyssy, but even it its weird MMOis way, i really liked odyssys fights more, you could get overwelmed and you had to be more tactical even when you were high level. in vahalla, once you get high enough, your just one shot most guards or etc. it just never clicks for me. its not bad

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you have me Odyssey and Valhalla and told me nothing else, I would assume Valhalla came out first and Odyssey was just polishing up on that iteration.

Like Vikings were fine and combat felt alright, but in Odyssey I played Kasandra and played it as Lesbian Death Boat and sailed around the map and conquered things and seduced ladies and kicked men off of high things. It has a lot of charm and character that Valhalla just lacked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Saxophone posted:

If you have me Odyssey and Valhalla and told me nothing else, I would assume Valhalla came out first and Odyssey was just polishing up on that iteration.

Like Vikings were fine and combat felt alright, but in Odyssey I played Kasandra and played it as Lesbian Death Boat and sailed around the map and conquered things and seduced ladies and kicked men off of high things. It has a lot of charm and character that Valhalla just lacked.

yeah. vahalla just feels more generic, like they knew they had to make vikings at some point so they just said gently caress it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not looking like a home run.

The reviews are split on whether Mirage was a move in the right direction.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 4, 2023

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Those critics are mostly the same who criticized Unity and praised the poorly designed rpg trilogy so their opinion is not worth much.

Apparently though the game is really short... If it's true that's an objective strike against it. Although the last games were overlong with lots of pacing issues. So if it's just short compared to them, with a tighter story, that could be good.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kuiperdolin posted:

Those critics are mostly the same who criticized Unity and praised the poorly designed rpg trilogy so their opinion is not worth much.

So you mean those are critics who say the right things.

Wonder if this game is going to be like Syndicate or Rogue a game no one remembers in a few years. Baghdad is a good idea for a setting, but I understand from a story point it is a filler it looks like, and gameplay-wise all they've promised is going back to the routes without actually bringing back the precise parkour controls of early AC games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think AC games are kind of buoyed by their protagonists and Basim is the most "who asked for this" lead character yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know a guy who got an early review copy and he wasn't too enamored by it so I don't think there's going to be anything that convinces me to get it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

So you mean those are critics who say the right things.

Wonder if this game is going to be like Syndicate or Rogue a game no one remembers in a few years. Baghdad is a good idea for a setting, but I understand from a story point it is a filler it looks like, and gameplay-wise all they've promised is going back to the routes without actually bringing back the precise parkour controls of early AC games.

yeah. mirage feels like a short expirement game to see if people want more of the older style stuff mixed with new trilogy combat. so they took a possible dlc idea that was early in dev and spun it into a new game.

exquisite tea posted:

I think AC games are kind of buoyed by their protagonists and Basim is the most "who asked for this" lead character yet.

yeah basim just doesnt do anything for me in anyway. like i am curious how he is in game but like whatever happens, its gonna end bad because he just gets hollowed out by loki

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skillup both liked Origins and Odyssey, didn't like Valhalla, and did not like this. I do rate his opinion on this sort of game but not good.

It feels like at best this is just very overpriced for what you get.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's kind of weird when I hear people in the enthusiast press go on "Basim was the most interesting character!" and I'm like, uh, what? He was alright in Valhalla but his entire arc gets wrapped up and the last thing he ever says is an almost villainous way of saying he's going to steal all of Eivor's experiences and skills through the animus bleed effect while wearing a silly three wolf shirt.

I think I'll rent the game from Gamefly to see what a modern "back to basics" AC game looks like these days but I really don't care about how Basim became an assassin. He was never that interesting to me.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

It's kind of weird when I hear people in the enthusiast press go on "Basim was the most interesting character!" and I'm like, uh, what? He was alright in Valhalla but his entire arc gets wrapped up and the last thing he ever says is an almost villainous way of saying he's going to steal all of Eivor's experiences and skills through the animus bleed effect while wearing a silly three wolf shirt.

I think I'll rent the game from Gamefly to see what a modern "back to basics" AC game looks like these days but I really don't care about how Basim became an assassin. He was never that interesting to me.

Completely agree. As much of a wet sponge Leila (and every other outside-Animus character) was, I was disappointed they didn’t just continue with that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

lmao what are you talking about. Unity was so buggy at launch that Ubisoft had to issue a public apology about it. they did eventually fix the bugs yes but the game was objectively released in a broken state and absolutely deserved the criticism it received

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Skillup both liked Origins and Odyssey, didn't like Valhalla, and did not like this. I do rate his opinion on this sort of game but not good.

It feels like at best this is just very overpriced for what you get.

i had a bunch of credits at gamestop so i get it "free" so if it sucks ill just return it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Well that’s a bummer. Maybe I’ll get it in six months when it’s 20$ or something.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Basim would be an interesting character if you'd continue his story. He (seemingly) has fused with a ghost in his head, he has some sort of plan, he is already an assassin with personal experience and him getting in Animus could have something spicy. I remember how he talked about his homeland in Valhalla and it immediately made me wonder why didn't they make a game about that and instead made it about huts.

"Back to basics" is also an extremely toothless sell. Do you remember a game in a series that did "back to basics" and turned out well? Origins snatched the ideas from other genres but this was at least somewhat innovative. Going back to the design that was a subject of endless jokes 10 years ago sounds mad. I'm all for smaller more focused game but I honestly hope that back to basics is just marketing talk and there's at least something alive and passionate about this game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doom 2016 was back to basics and was extremely good and fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The shift to first person might discount it but Resident Evil 7 was frequently described as taking things back to basics and people loved it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Basim would be an interesting character if you'd continue his story. He (seemingly) has fused with a ghost in his head, he has some sort of plan, he is already an assassin with personal experience and him getting in Animus could have something spicy. I remember how he talked about his homeland in Valhalla and it immediately made me wonder why didn't they make a game about that and instead made it about huts.

"Back to basics" is also an extremely toothless sell. Do you remember a game in a series that did "back to basics" and turned out well? Origins snatched the ideas from other genres but this was at least somewhat innovative. Going back to the design that was a subject of endless jokes 10 years ago sounds mad. I'm all for smaller more focused game but I honestly hope that back to basics is just marketing talk and there's at least something alive and passionate about this game.

origins was idea was "what is we make the combat vaguely souls lite and also took alot from witcher 3" and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arivia posted:

Doom 2016 was back to basics and was extremely good and fun.

Good game to illustrate how you can market a back-to-basics approach and accomplish that in spirit but still bring some innovation and upgrades to update the experience.

I've now seen two very good players play this game and it doesn't have much freshness or polish.