Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Southgate is a dream compared to Roy, Schteve, Capello and Sven. The Maguire obsession is odd, I admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sick of competent functional England, just want silly tabloid nonsense back

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Al2001 posted:

Southgate is a dream compared to Roy, Schteve, Capello and Sven. The Maguire obsession is odd, I admit.

Yeah the frustration with Southgate is he'd be an actual decent manager if he stopped doing dumb poo poo like play Harry Maguire

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you play englands three best players together and they all score :thunk:

agreed, harry maguire is one of england's three best players

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Bellingham looks like the second coming of Zidane. He is scary good

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
potter should get england

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 13, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Viaplay are such a poo poo-tier broadcaster. Trying to watch their Spain highlights on YouTube and they've put them together by just cutting up the live broadcast so the commentary is cut off in the middle of words, and for the first goal it looks like the footage they used was from a 15fps pirate stream.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ulio posted:

Ya and Ronaldo had a argument with the manager about it. Also the guy got sacked since they lost the quarters but their best performances were without Ronaldo starting or when Ronaldo would get benched. I am sure Fernando Santos's relationship with Ronaldo had something to do with the sacking and not just losing in quarters closely to Morocco. If they sacked their Euro winning manager, I do think they won't have a problem with sacking Martinez if he pisses off Ronaldo. Ronaldo is too important to the FA and brings them a lot of money. If Ronaldo had a brain he would know he has a better chance of winning if he was starting on the bench. This Portugal side is absolutely stacked with talent, they definitely could win with Ronaldo still featuring off the bench. But Ronaldo thinks too highly of himself, which was fine when he was younger and the best player in the world but it's his time to take a different role. Or if it's humiliating for him to stay on bench he should retire from international.

I’ve been reading some Portuguese sports media and a lot of them are saying the team is better off without him. I think at this point your best lineup has Gonçalo Ramos starting as the striker and giving lovely Ronnie’s roster spot to Fábio Silva.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
don't accept a friendly against japan if you want to keep you job i guess

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66867292

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Don't worry, I hear he's already getting interest from Spain

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A good interview

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/02/ildefons-lima-world-record-26-year-andorra-football-career

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Very cool, thanks for sharing

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://apnews.com/article/2030-world-cup-spain-portugal-south-america-3f400c036694c048b277f0b49796fc4c
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is set to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.

FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.

The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project will open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.

I hope you have your frequent flier card nearby.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

e: beaten by ^^ that guy

I don't really get why they didn't just do the whole thing in Arg, Uru and Para if they wanted to do a whole centennial celebration thing. I know they're only going to play 1 game in each spot but that's still a lot of needless travel for 6 teams.

PS: Interesting side story to this is that 2034 bidding has been expedited and can only include federations from Asia and Oceania. So get ready for PIF 2034.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 4, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what the gently caress

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in a surprise announcement, FIFA have revealed that through a transparent no-bid process, the 2034 World Cup will be held in every country on Earth

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

in a surprise announcement, FIFA have revealed that through a transparent no-bid process, the 2034 World Cup will be held in every country on Earth

Straight knockout, random draw, no seeding.

I'm sold.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I can't believe all 6 countries were able to synchronize their bribe money like that. What an amazing show of international cooperation.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

e: beaten by ^^ that guy

I don't really get why they didn't just do the whole thing in Arg, Uru and Para if they wanted to do a whole centennial celebration thing. I know they're only going to play 1 game in each spot but that's still a lot of needless travel for 6 teams.

North America has 2026, this ticks off South America, Europe and Africa in one fell swoop so it's basically guaranteed to be in Saudi Arabia in 2034.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

North America has 2026, this ticks off South America, Europe and Africa in one fell swoop so it's basically guaranteed to be in Saudi Arabia in 2034.

Australia and New Zealand will send a nice case of wine to each member of the selection committee and lose in a unanimous first-ballot decision

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Never ending 200 team global round robin tournament*

*Euros, World Cups, Euro-lites, qualifiers for such, etc will all still be played, what fixture congestion?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

vyelkin posted:

Australia and New Zealand will send a nice case of wine to each member of the selection committee and lose in a unanimous first-ballot decision

Yeah it goes without saying the accelerated bid is so infantino gets all the bribe money.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Now it's coming home

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

vyelkin posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jexner posted:

https://apnews.com/article/2030-world-cup-spain-portugal-south-america-3f400c036694c048b277f0b49796fc4c
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is set to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.

FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.

The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project will open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.

I hope you have your frequent flier card nearby.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1709602469964128383?s=20

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

shocking. just shocking.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looking forward to seeing a 50 year old Ronaldo turn out for Saudi Arabia at the World Cup

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

sebzilla posted:

Looking forward to seeing a 50 year old Ronaldo turn out for Saudi Arabia at the World Cup

That would be bad because this should be Ronaldo's final involvement with the World Cup in any capacity:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I’m glad we won’t qualify for any of these.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
wow glad they're taking carbon emissions from travel seriously

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ.

Also Australia have announced we want to take a crack at 2034 but lol Saudi Arabia is already basically locked in.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cool runnings-style comedy about a team of Australian FA delegates who have 10 years to get enough bribe money to outbribe Saudi Arabia and get the world cup

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Cool runnings-style comedy about a team of Australian FA delegates who have 10 years to get enough bribe money to outbribe Saudi Arabia and get the world cup

Try 25 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/05/australia-fifa-world-cup-2034-bid-saudi-arabia-challenge

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just get the Qataris to pony up the bribes for them so their WC will still be the only one in the ME

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good job that corrupt FIFA guy was replaced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol phillips and henderson in midfield over JWP or basically any other english midfielder who gets playing time. great squad selection gareth

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace).

Defenders: Levi Colwill (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Al-Ettifaq), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).