Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Oh she's REAL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hahahaha

"So, do it."
"Come on now, my plan is..."
"Do it, stupid."
"Foolish mortal, you cannot fathom my desig-"
"Guess you suck too much to pull it off, huh?"
"...fine."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Stubbornness really pays off.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what a loving troll

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
This is the best possible use for this whole plot line. Amazing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

Sephyr posted:

Hahahaha

"So, do it."
"Come on now, my plan is..."
"Do it, stupid."
"Foolish mortal, you cannot fathom my desig-"
"Guess you suck too much to pull it off, huh?"
"...fine."

pretty sure this is how your suppose to trick gods in every series.

also, didn't know Memcho was gonna be in the movie too.

And lol @ how the crow is presented like this

Like an actual living body as a vessal, its an actual kid with the spirit of a god inside...who conveniently shows up in random locations to talk to Aqua? or outside his bedroom or something? Instead of an entity that only Aqua can see, but takes physical form here for better communication and now to act for the movie

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

GateOfD posted:

pretty sure this is how your suppose to trick gods in every series.

also, didn't know Memcho was gonna be in the movie too.

Like an actual living body as a vessal, its an actual kid with the spirit of a god inside...who conveniently shows up in random locations to talk to Aqua? or outside his bedroom or something? Instead of an entity that only Aqua can see, but takes physical form here for better communication and now to act for the movie

What's interesting is that I'm pretty sure Ruby has also had a scene with the crow girl, so I wonder if her presence is gonna be weird for her too

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You know what I wasn't a fan of the god as a plot device but this? I can get behind this cause of how Aqua went about it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

"I bet you couldn't kill the murderer even if you wanted to"
"I show you!"

The End. Thanks for reading Oshi no Ko. Look forward to Aka's next work.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if we will get a situation similar to the one in Discworld novel Wyrd Sisters where Death has to perform in a play and can't say his lines right.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
What an amazing chapter. A complete swerve into comedy just when things were looking like they might get too dark, as well as a perfect culmination of Aqua's intentions and the comic's themes -- "cryptic god that refuses to be helpful and blames the humans for their consequent failures" is another angle on "the adult world [particularly the entertainment industry] is a poo poo place for setting up teenagers to be exploited and discarded before they even figure out the rules of that world". Aqua getting one over on that thing (whatever it is) feels pretty satisfying in that context.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Are we sure Aqua shouldn't just go into politics instead?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

GateOfD posted:

I like this a lot better than the alternative, and not just because its really funny

Aqua and Ruby already exist so we already have to accept the conceit of weirdo reincarnators. Convenient dramatic timing is not more of a stretch for me with this theatric little poo poo than 'oh she's omnipresent, invisibly hanging around Aqua for some reason' and yeah iirc Ruby already saw her before finding Doc's bones.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

does she go to school? people are going to ask questions right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

there were a number of ways I expected this chapter to go, and it did absolutely none of them

goddamn I'm impressed

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I should have never doubted Aka.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I should have never doubted Aka.

So, how 'bout that Renai Daikou, huh?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lol

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mirage posted:

Didn't read it yet, guess its not doing so hot?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mirage posted:

Yeah it's not great but he does have past form for making something good out of a romantic comedy with a ridiculous set up.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly, why aren't they employing Aqua as a scout at this point?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Honestly, why aren't they employing Aqua as a scout at this point?

Because he's also a bit of a weird jerk and they're afraid of him rubbing someone the wrong way despite him knowing better.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

boredsatellite posted:

Didn't read it yet, guess its not doing so hot?

I liked what I read of it, but it didn't instantly grab me. I figure Aka will make it interesting overall, but I also think you need to essentially be a generational talent in the mangaka space to pull off 3 successful series in a row or make your one big hit keep going forever at a high quality One Piece style. I won't hold it against him if Renai doesn't turn out well, and if he is committing to just writing stuff then he'll be able to take way more swings at things which I approve of.

Although the setup of the rom com in Renai is quite different, I do worry that he used up his best rom com material in Kaguya and thus we're left with the leftovers for Renai. And while Aka's leftovers are better than your average manga's writing (in my own biased opinion), the characters are missing that extra zest that Kaguya's had so far.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the characters in Renai are just not nowhere as quirky or entertaining enough as Kaguya to stand on their own, so it rests 100% on the gag of the silly dating tips app. forcing situtations which isn't that strong in the first place.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There was one chapter that was pretty good, but it mostly seems to be relying on subverting expectations, which takes more time to set up those expectations to begin with. It's not as straightforwardly gag focused as early Kaguya was, so it remains to be seen if where it's going and if it'll stick the landing.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
128, now with RPG Status Screens

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018805

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
gacha screens to be specific

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Give me a series just about Melt and Himekawa being buds.

Also holy poo poo Ruby.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Cute that they gave both Kana and Akane S-rankings in Acting and then balanced out the rest to make them equals.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Is Akane fangirling at long-haired Kana or something because frankly same

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Melt is apparently as good an actor as Aqua now

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

gacha screens to be specific

That sort of power graph pre-dates gacha by a fair amount, at least back to the late 90s and possibly further.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

That sort of power graph pre-dates gacha by a fair amount, at least back to the late 90s and possibly further.

I feel like it was either HxH or Naruto where I saw them the first time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

I mean more that every character also has a star rarity

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

Is Akane fangirling at long-haired Kana or something because frankly same

She totally is.

I understand her reaction.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Raserys posted:

These letter ranks don’t indicate the Scaling, which can make your effective attack strength worlds apart arbitrarily.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Raserys posted:

Well, he has been shown putting work into it, while Aqua is still just coasting by on being a reborn soul and an adult around teenagers.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone knows stats don't mean anything, it's all about who has the most OP set of skills.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

drat, Kana only being a 3*?
I guess I have to wait for the banner for the 4* or 5* rate up to roll for her.

drat is Norio OP

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Are they sure they want a D-rank actor as Ai?

*sees last page*

Never mind.