Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never lost a save following that guide so you should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When I first hacked my old 3DS, back like 7 years ago (:corsair:) the guide recommended a system reset before hacking, so I did end up losing a minimal amount of data, but I was still almost all physical with my game purchases back then, so I only lost like the 3D puzzles that came with the system. And even when I bought and hacked a new 3DS relatively shortly afterwards I was able to do it without a system reset so I kept all my saves.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That guide is amazing. I’d never home brewed any console before, and used the guide to do it with my Nu 2DS XL, and it’s awesome! I’ve now got a portable Zelda and Atlus RPG machine with wide open freedom. Maybe I’ll do my Vita one day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm looking to work my way through a bunch of DS type jrpgs and the form factor of the 3DS is just a lot better than the comparatively fragile switch and it's gonna be a couple months before I can pick up a steam deck

I watched a video looks like you can even retheme your console now with QR codes and whatnot. Super mature modding community and system at this point, excited to try it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC I'd done a PSP or two before my 3DSes, but I was still relatively new to the console soft-modding scene as well back then. I've since soft-modded a Wii U and my own Vita as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm looking to work my way through a bunch of DS type jrpgs and the form factor of the 3DS is just a lot better than the comparatively fragile switch and it's gonna be a couple months before I can pick up a steam deck

I watched a video looks like you can even retheme your console now with QR codes and whatnot. Super mature modding community and system at this point, excited to try it
If you're looking to play DS RPGs specifically you may want to look at jbone's selection of pre-modded systems over in SAMart, they're pretty cheap and a DSi XL looks a lot better playing DS games than a 3DS does, due to the resolutions matching up better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Best hardware is what you have of course, but yeah DS games look like rear end on 3DS. I have a 3DS XL and DSi, and the DSi gets like 95% of the attention because of that and GBA support.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is gbarunner 2 good now?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Works fine for me :shrug: I played through Aria of Sorrow and dabbled in a bunch of other games without any problems. Only thing that sucks is that I don't think there's a way to quit out to the DSi main menu. I have to power cycle to get back to it, but that's pretty minor.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

hatty posted:

Is gbarunner 2 good now?

It hasn't been updated in 3 years, so the same games that used to have problems still have problems.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

You can hold start or select while booting a virtual console or DS game to play it at its original resolution.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's probably a thread for this but I haven't seen it

Is there something that's like, halfway between the 3ds XL and the steam deck. I've seen people selling high end metal replacement cases for OG Gameboy and we were at someone's house the other day and he had one of those "everything in one, super deluxe+++ 4k ultra upscaling 120fps" that you plug into the wall and HDMI out or whatever and I've seen a handful of wonderswan color things on AliExpress but a lot of that stuff goes from dodgy to really bad for the most part

Probably going to stick with my 3ds for now but keeping an eye out for an upgrade path. Still haven't found my 3ds yet but didn't look for it very hard last night

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm not sure I'm following you but what about a switch?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The switch is too wide imo

Even when I travel with it I bring a pro controller. Also why I'm not super interested in a steam deck. 3ds XL is about the perfect size

Ideal console would be a flatter version of the pro con with a flip up 5" screen

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

acksplode posted:

Best hardware is what you have of course, but yeah DS games look like rear end on 3DS. I have a 3DS XL and DSi, and the DSi gets like 95% of the attention because of that and GBA support.

Wait, what? DS games don’t look as good on a 3DS?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

I think they look fine but on the 3DS they get stretched out a bit because of the bigger screen. You can reset it to the original aspect ratio too so idk.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

chaosapiant posted:

The 3DS has a higher-resolution screen than the original DS. Same dimensions, but more dots. This means that DS games either get upscaled to fit the new resolution, which makes them look slightly blurrier, or are displayed at their original resolution, which means a black box around the game (and DS games played on a non-XL 3DS are smaller than they were on original hardware, which may be a problem for goons with non-20/20 vision). Both are still playable, and there's homebrew like TWPatcher that can allow you to select an upscaling filter that might be more to your taste, but DS games look best on a DS(i).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's why I got a DSi XL.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Hadlock posted:

There's probably a thread for this but I haven't seen it

Is there something that's like, halfway between the 3ds XL and the steam deck. I've seen people selling high end metal replacement cases for OG Gameboy and we were at someone's house the other day and he had one of those "everything in one, super deluxe+++ 4k ultra upscaling 120fps" that you plug into the wall and HDMI out or whatever and I've seen a handful of wonderswan color things on AliExpress but a lot of that stuff goes from dodgy to really bad for the most part

Probably going to stick with my 3ds for now but keeping an eye out for an upgrade path. Still haven't found my 3ds yet but didn't look for it very hard last night

Vita? There are a few ports of Android games to Vita. And you can play PSP/PS1 games on it

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Hadlock posted:

The switch is too wide imo

Even when I travel with it I bring a pro controller. Also why I'm not super interested in a steam deck. 3ds XL is about the perfect size

Ideal console would be a flatter version of the pro con with a flip up 5" screen

Check out the Retroid Pocket Flip.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beard Yawn posted:

Check out the Retroid Pocket Flip.
Just avoid the red one as it has hinge issues

I love mine

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It only took 10 years (bought the Link Between Worlds 3DS… and then lost/forgot it on a flight :sweatdrop:) but finally rolled credits on it. What a great game. I love the Switch Zelda games, but it was so nice to get significant progress every hour, knockout a dungeon and put it down.

still lots of little fun puzzles between the Maiamais (pre-Koroks?) and Treasure Rooms (pre-Shrines?) that I enjoyed, and there’s other little hints of things they were trying before putting it into the latest games. And the reveal at the end ruled! He speaks!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nybble posted:

He speaks!
I just beat it again a few months ago and don't know what this is a reference to. Could you enlighten me?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

LividLiquid posted:

I just beat it again a few months ago and don't know what this is a reference to. Could you enlighten me?

Ending spoilers to LBW: It’s really funny to me to see the idea of a Link, even if it’s the “Dark Link”, speaking actual lines! So to see Ravio be the Lorule Link and he speaks and sings really tickles me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nybble posted:

Ending spoilers to LBW: It’s really funny to me to see the idea of a Link, even if it’s the “Dark Link”, speaking actual lines! So to see Ravio be the Lorule Link and he speaks and sings really tickles me.

See I thought you referring to The grandpa running Streetpass in Kakariko being revealed to be the Link from LttP.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Finally got around to modding my other console, a lot quicker the second time. Gonna be a dedicated Picross mule for my partner so she leaves my XL alone.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to a stylus for the n3DS non-XL (ideally one of those metal telescoping ones)? Tricky to search for, the XL swamps all the results but they are definitely not interchangeable.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Finally got around to modding my other console, a lot quicker the second time. Gonna be a dedicated Picross mule for my partner so she leaves my XL alone.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to a stylus for the n3DS non-XL (ideally one of those metal telescoping ones)? Tricky to search for, the XL swamps all the results but they are definitely not interchangeable.

most searches allow you to put "-" in front of a search to remove that. So "n3ds stylus -XL" should do it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That barely works in Google now, though. They're bound and determined to ruin the one thing they were good at because how dare you omit things from people who paid us money.

galagazombie posted:

See I thought you referring to The grandpa running Streetpass in Kakariko being revealed to be the Link from LttP.
Holy poo poo! Was he?!

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 21, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Sorry. Doublepost.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1709418623566020975

The FAQ says for patches and purchased games:

quote:

For the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to download update data and redownload purchased software and downloadable content from Nintendo eShop.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rip Kid Icarus online

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I need to finish grinding castle battles in Conquest.

Also RIP New Leaf.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jokes on them my 3DS was already banned from online services after it got caught in a homebrew ban wave

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

hatty posted:

Rip my Monster Hunter backlog

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Walla posted:

I need to finish grinding castle battles in Conquest.

Also RIP New Leaf.

Does New Leaf only function with online services? I don't know remember it being that way.

I've hardly ever used the online capabilities of any Animal Crossing game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You can do everything you want to in New Leaf through Spotpass, but there's still a thriving community that organizes trades online. I actually bought 3 copies of New Leaf when New Horizons came out because it meant that I, my wife, and my son could all have our own islands for the same price. My wife was involved with trading for some time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Interesting. I had no idea, although it makes sense - there's a community for that with New Horizon.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Does that mean I wont be able to download dlc I have bought anymore?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

drilldo squirt posted:

Does that mean I wont be able to download dlc I have bought anymore?

Nintendo's FAQ posted:

Will it still be possible to download update data or purchased software?

For the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to download update data and redownload purchased software and downloadable content from Nintendo eShop.

That part will still be up after April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been trying to make use of my old, scuffed up 3DSXL lately. The other day, I tried to turn it on. The 3DS will light up with a blue light, but the screen doesn't come on.

I've heard this is a black screen of death for the 3DS? does anyone have any advice to get it working again? or should I try mailing this to someone, maybe nintendo.