Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

loved bammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even if he wasn't the biggest guy in WWF/WCW he was athletic enough to stand out so he 100% could of been the guy. But than you hear stories of him doing dumb poo poo like counting money in front of Baba and you realize why he never got that shot

I don't know about 100% THE guy, but he could've been a solid long-term mid-upper carder pretty easily. If he had any weakness, his promos were pretty mid and he didn't have any special charisma which seemed to be a huge factor for main eventers especially back then. Sid being a prime example.

That said, I loved his ECW work and he played a pivotal role in RVD, Taz, and Shame Douglas' careers. It was cool that Heyman hyped him as a huge deal "future world champion" and gave him a title run, albeit a short one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Page 666? During October? Gotta show some love to THE KISS DEMON

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

iamsosmrt posted:

Shame Douglas

I know this was autocorrect’s doing, but I want this to be intentional.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The eight points are in alignment.

The fifth star has merged.

Posting on the Kevin Sullivan page.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmU67uwZGc

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8WiAF4S2Y

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One time I was backstage with Kevin Sullivan and he walked over, complimented our production setup, and then grabbed a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and drank from it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
666: VARSITY CLUB could be David DeCoteau's best movie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

The demon man himself

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

One time I was backstage with Kevin Sullivan and he walked over, complimented our production setup, and then grabbed a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and drank from it

Did he sell for the hydrogen peroxide or what?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Page 666? During October? Gotta show some love to THE KISS DEMON

Certainly more love than WCW ever showed him!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Did he sell for the hydrogen peroxide or what?

he was probably intending to secrete it from his scalp later on, op

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I have one of these on their way to me, hail satan

https://twitter.com/TheZombieSailor/status/1582389038639521792?s=20

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I only ever saw Kevin Sullivan post 96 wcw so seeing him young and what he was doing is wild. I can safely say if I watched young kevin sullivan when I was 14 he would have been my favorite dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shard posted:

I only ever saw Kevin Sullivan post 96 wcw so seeing him young and what he was doing is wild. I can safely say if I watched young kevin sullivan when I was 14 he would have been my favorite dude.

Reading Apter mags about the Army of Darkness stuff might have been the ideal way to experience it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Never thought I'd see a toy of a wrestler that is actual size.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

kevin sullivan is writing a strongly worded rebuttal but you'll have to give him time because he's doing the yoshi butt-stomp on every individual key

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The ghostly visage of Curtis Iaukea bellows out "SULLIVAN, MY SON"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even if he wasn't the biggest guy in WWF/WCW he was athletic enough to stand out so he 100% could of been the guy. But than you hear stories of him doing dumb poo poo like counting money in front of Baba and you realize why he never got that shot

As in, counting money Baba just paid him? Yeah, that would be disrespectful. Should've called the Bam Bam Business Bureau.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bam Bam was just kinda of dumb on the business side though you hear how his manager started him out (by stealing money from his bookings) it's not hard to see why he never got smartened up

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bam Bam was just kinda of dumb on the business side though you hear how his manager started him out (by stealing money from his bookings) it's not hard to see why he never got smartened up

Bam Bam is quoted in Death of WCW saying something to the effect of how he didn't give a poo poo about how the product was total garbage and management was a bunch of morons because his checks kept clearing, which always makes me laugh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah, Bigelow signed one of those infamous wrestling school "I will give <blank> percent of my pay to my trainer," in this case Larry Sharpe of the Monster Factory. It probably makes sense at the time.

I remember in Jericho's book he talked about how at the "Hart Brothers" Wrestling School ('wrestling' spelled wrong on the contact) that there also that clause but he just never did and never heard of it again. It would be funny to find out Lance did it his entire career.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Animal-Mother posted:

As in, counting money Baba just paid him? Yeah, that would be disrespectful. Should've called the Bam Bam Business Bureau.
It wasn't an issue in front of Inoki, but Baba didn't have Inoki's rep, so THAT'S why it was considered particularly disrespectful.

That said, by all accounts, Bigelow matured a lot when he went back to NJPW and then back to the WWF for his last run there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not a lawyer, but "I will pay a tithe of all my earnings in this industry" sounds like the definition of an unenforceable contract.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but "I will pay a tithe of all my earnings in this industry" sounds like the definition of an unenforceable contract.

It's fairly common in sports, with agents taking advantage of financially illiterate kids straight out of high school or college.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jacques Rougeau tried to get Steen to sign one of those. And I'm pretty sure Kevin was a minor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I hadn't thought about that. But I think it's a different situation because it's a normal, established thing for a manager/agent to get a percentage of revenue from jobs and contracts that they facilitated. "Pay me X% of everything you earn in this industry even if we never speak again" is something else. And, of course, good luck actually enforcing it when indie wrestling is such a hand-to-mouth, cash-in-hand business.

The thing is, there's so much open and legal corruption in the US that I feel like if this were legally possible, entities like for-profit colleges, MLM schemes, and "management training" businesses would already be doing it left and right.

Has anybody successfully done it in the big leagues? Like, Tom Zenk got signed to the WWF and had to put a percentage for Eddie Sharkey in the contract, because he believed he had to?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Wasn't that a huge part of Moolah's poo poo?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My understanding is that Moolah worked directly with the promoters, literally selling them the talent. Literal slavery is also kind of a different situation from having an untrustworthy manager.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Wasn't that a huge part of Moolah's poo poo?

moolah was worse in every way. she not only took a large cut of their money she forbade them from owning bank accounts while also assaulting them and pimping them out to other promotions she is one of the worst people to have ever been involved in the business

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's that claim from Cena about him giving WWE a portion of his film revenue, but that's more Cena being kind of dumb than an official contract

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ok (and appropriate page for this question) people keep saying Moolah pimped out her students.

Could someone please tell me this is metaphorical.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

it is not

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jonny Nox posted:

Ok (and appropriate page for this question) people keep saying Moolah pimped out her students.

Could someone please tell me this is metaphorical.

Every single terrible thing you've ever read about Moolah is 100% true. She's one of the worst human beings ever

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even "pimp" is too mild a word for the things Moolah did. She could be the villain in a Taken ripoff. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she'd killed a few people over the years.

And even if you somehow expunge all the criminal and abusive poo poo she did over the years, she was a purely negative influence on women's wrestling in the US.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

And even if you somehow expunge all the criminal and abusive poo poo she did over the years, she was a purely negative influence on women's wrestling in the US.

this. the reason women's wrestling was in the state it was is because moolah went out of her way to sabotage and ruin it every chance she got so that the spotlight could remain on her

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Moolah even arguably convinced others to become more horrible. Very very sad and long period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Moolah probably would won the 'worst person in the history of wrestling' award if she hadn't gone against Vince in the sweet 16.
Vince only beats her because of the power he wields.