Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it eventually came out that the devs just wanted to have Kassandra as the main character but Ubi execs said they had to have a guy option.

Even more noticeable with Origins, where while Bayek is cool and all, Aya is the one spending tons of time conspicuously off camera actually establishing that whole Assassin's Creed thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I refuse to believe anyone has ever actually beaten Valhalla. The main campaign is over 150 missions long. You have to manually undertake the same takeover of all sixteen regions of England.

Why the gently caress would anyone want to conquer Swindon?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe I can make it better?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thursday Next and Pickwick.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I refuse to believe anyone has ever actually beaten Valhalla. The main campaign is over 150 missions long. You have to manually undertake the same takeover of all sixteen regions of England.

That game seriously wore me down, to the point where I still feel exhausted thinking back to it three years later. Honestly, my ears perked up a bit when I heard Mirage was something more like 20-25 hours for the main storyline, sometimes less is more.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I beat both Odyssey and Valhalla and I remember Odyssey taking like 3 times as long. It's the only non JRPG or Bethesda game I've ever put 150 hours into. I was playing it for what felt like a year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think I approached 100 hours in Valhalla doing the main quest and some side stuff. I definitely put more than that into Odyssey, but my recollection is that I affluent much more time dicking around checking stuff off the map. Maybe Valhalla got some leftover burnout from that one too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Valhalla is just boring

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Valhalla didn't have huge statues that you could climb to check if they had dicks.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Schubalts posted:

Valhalla didn't have huge statues that you could climb to check if they had dicks.

There's a giant step down in horny from Odyssey to Valhalla

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

In the starting area, no less. Name a game with a shorter time from intro to climbing onto colossal marble peen, I'll wait

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The quest to get Tadayori's Armor. It starts really good, you get to have a cool duel in a pretty field of flowers. But then at the end you have to fight waves of mongols and protect the lovely unarmed musician.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

In the starting area, no less. Name a game with a shorter time from intro to climbing onto colossal marble peen, I'll wait

That reminds me there are cute moments in Immortals Fenyx Rising where the main Ubisoft Tower is these giant statues of the 4 main gods and Fenyx sometimes makes remarks when climbing on certain parts, like "Sorry about grabbing your butt there Ares..."

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I not only completed Valhalla, I got every single chest in every single region. Mostly just because I wanted to see the final area since it's where I live IRL but also because of acute sunk cost fallacy.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sometimes you just push yourself to 100% a game with no real idea why. I didn't NEED to spend hours hunting down all the unique cars or film reels in LA Noire, but yet...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Sometimes you just push yourself to 100% a game with no real idea why. I didn't NEED to spend hours hunting down all the unique cars or film reels in LA Noire, but yet...

Sometimes it throws you a bone, like if you buy out all the shops in Forspoken you get little scenes with the shopkeepers which are kind of cute.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i opened a basket of fruit in bg3 and inside were 3 onions. what kind of insane hellworld,

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Every single desk I open in Baldurs Gate 3 holds only a quill and ink pot. I guess that’s realistic but it’s not much fun. There are a lot of desks. I know I should stop searching them but I can’t lol.

Seems like this game has way too many containers full of useless crap. Some rooms are just piles of crates. It’s cruel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Red Rox posted:

Every single desk I open in Baldurs Gate 3 holds only a quill and ink pot. I guess that’s realistic but it’s not much fun.

realistic would be if each desk were personally individualized but no developer except kojima has the balls to do it

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Red Rox posted:

Every single desk I open in Baldurs Gate 3 holds only a quill and ink pot. I guess that’s realistic but it’s not much fun. There are a lot of desks. I know I should stop searching them but I can’t lol.

Seems like this game has way too many containers full of useless crap. Some rooms are just piles of crates. It’s cruel.

i mean stealing food from every possible container is just practical, since you use it for long rests. silverware can be sold, etc. so i will never stop looking for things my idiot party can eat and/or sell

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

though if i'm being honest there are so many barrels, crates, etc. that contain just "rotten carrot" "rotten mushrooms" "rotten cheese wheel" etc. that the stench of decaying food must make nearly every indoor space in the game world completely nauseating

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

very risky blowjob posted:

i mean stealing food from every possible container is just practical, since you use it for long rests. silverware can be sold, etc. so i will never stop looking for things my idiot party can eat and/or sell

I long rest way too often, because why not, and about I still have way too much food. And I'm struggling to find stuff to spend money on lately.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Any game with companions should really have a "boys, loot the area" button. Make all the loot pop up in a consolidated list for me to pick from if there's a lot of junk and I tend to only want a few bits of it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

Any game with companions should really have a "boys, loot the area" button. Make all the loot pop up in a consolidated list for me to pick from if there's a lot of junk and I tend to only want a few bits of it.

Get Dragons Dogma up in this poo poo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Triarii posted:

Overlord had the best version of this and every party-based RPG should've stolen it immediately.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

very risky blowjob posted:

though if i'm being honest there are so many barrels, crates, etc. that contain just "rotten carrot" "rotten mushrooms" "rotten cheese wheel" etc. that the stench of decaying food must make nearly every indoor space in the game world completely nauseating

those are trash cans

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

I've 100%'d every main GTA game since III, as well as Bully and Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, multiple times, but I had to call it quits on LA Noire due to those cars. Getting things to randomly appear in those games has always sucked, but Noire's completely bland open world somehow made it even more boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sonic Frontiers proved to me that it might be a good thing that platformer collectathons have sorta stopped as a genre, because even now that I'm an adult I will ABSOLUTELY collect all the little whatsits they put in a world if the main way to get to them is generally satisfying running and jumping.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've 100%'d every main GTA game since III, as well as Bully and Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, multiple times, but I had to call it quits on LA Noire due to those cars. Getting things to randomly appear in those games has always sucked, but Noire's completely bland open world somehow made it even more boring.

Definitely didn't help that 90% of the cars looked identical

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Triarii posted:

They new Aliens Dark Descent game was great at this too - you could click on 3 containers in a row and three different Marines would go open them at the same time. Or if you clicked on a locked door the marine with the hacking skills would automatically be sent to hack it - no need to select dudes individually. So simple but such a big improvement.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I was probed last night so I couldn't say this then, but gently caress AC Valhalla. All my homies hate AC Valhalla.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I think if Valhalla had come out first, it would still be kind of....bad...but probably wouldn't have the weight of expectations after Odyssey was so good. It didn't help that was a severe lack of whimsy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm just tired of games having dozens of hours of unfun busywork tacked on so that the ad department can check the box for it. Stop making what is supposed to be a fun hobby into a second loving job :argh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They went back to giving you a checklist for every chest and every little side quest, after Origins and Odyssey specifically didn't do that. It feels tedious. England and Norway are really boring after Greece and Egypt.

The side quests aren't fun either. There's one that's fun that you do in the first two hours of gameplay, and that's it. The rest are hilarious references to the Prodigy or One Punch Man.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Oct 5, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked how most of Odyssey's quests had some choice/consequence outcomes to them. Not every single sidequest mind you, but there were usually multiple ways to resolve them and a few could end up wildly different. It got the job done. Valhalla totally stripped away all of those in the most perfunctory way possible. It felt like an RPG made by people who hated the idea of roleplaying.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's no moment in Valhalla as good as Odyssey's Oedipus Rex quest linked above, and that's a pretty minor side quest without any relevance to the main story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My favourite use of that myth was in BBC series Atlantis, where the idea is the main character Jason is from the modern world so has heard the stories already, so has to deal with the fact that some characters have fates that he can kind of see coming in a tragically unavoidable way, like Medusa is introduced as a normal person and a fun member of the core cast for the arc where she is, acting as Hercule's love interest, and you just KNOW something bad is going to happen as it's Medusa, but you don't want it to as she's a cool person. The relevant one though is an episode where Jason has to help smuggle a baby to another town as the queen Pacifae will kill them if she finds them. After all is said and done this exchange happens at the gates of the other city:

Jason: So, what's his name?
Mother: Oedipus...

And Jason just gets a look of "That poor kid has no idea what's coming..."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wasteland 3 is a very gamepad-friendly overhead RPG, moreso than Original Sin 2, and after a gunfight you can loot every body in the field without moving by just pressing Y a few times. Inventory space is also universal and unlimited.

Now there's no going back from that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wasteland 3 is a very gamepad-friendly overhead RPG, moreso than Original Sin 2, and after a gunfight you can loot every body in the field without moving by just pressing Y a few times. Inventory space is also universal and unlimited.

Now there's no going back from that.

They simplified the looting in Cyberpunk with the new update, but you still have to go around to the various corpses to find the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Solasta, a d&d game, has a group that loots for you. Just tell them where you did your murder-hoboing and a few days later they sell everything you left behind, pay you, and take a cut.