Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm not sure if it's in the Pike audiobook, but at the end of the Kramer/Reading versions there's a "bonus" interview with Jordan where he talks about why Eye is reminiscent of LOTR. It's a pretty good listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Von Linus posted:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through book one on audiobook.
Just so you know, there is a thread in the Book Barn for people reading the books for the first time:
SPOILER TAGS & New Readers- First Time Readthrough(s) of Wheel of Time
You can post your reactions, thoughts, predictions, and questions (with spoiler tags) about the books there. I guarantee everyone will be happy to read them and help clarify things if you get lost. Expect a good amount of RAFO (read and find out) responses.

As others pointed out, you don’t need to fear it being a LOTR clone. It is very much it’s own thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I liked how the first book felt like LOTR, it helped put a "gravitas" on the other books, it made fades and stuff feel more scary than they otherwise would. It was just a great way to start the series IMO. And I think the show should have done the same, made the first season feel more like that. Before gradually changing it's feel.

And it should have been 16 episodes per season.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least it was less of a LotR clone than Sword of Shannara

I swore off fantasy as a genre for years after someone gifted me that

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone have the text from the dark prophecy handy? That recitation about “blood calls blood”, etc? I couldn’t quickly find it since the Google search was clogged with references to TV episode titles and the book’s version of the same prophecy.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I assume Liandrin will be Amelryn.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Grundulum posted:

Does anyone have the text from the dark prophecy handy? That recitation about “blood calls blood”, etc? I couldn’t quickly find it since the Google search was clogged with references to TV episode titles and the book’s version of the same prophecy.

This is all I could think of during that scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBBGjUjy2c

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Grundulum posted:

Here is the whole prophecy from the book:

The Grear Hunt posted:

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.
The ancient war, she yet fights.
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.
Who shall stand against her coming?
The Shining Walls shall kneel.
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.
Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

The man who channels stands alone.
He gives his friends for sacrifice.
Two roads before him, one to death beyond dying, one to life eternal.
Which will he choose? Which will he choose?
What hand shelters? What hand slays?
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.

Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.
Isam waited in the high passes.
The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now course, and kill.
One did live, and one did die, but both are.
The Time of Change has come.
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.

The Watchers wait on Toman's Head.
The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree.
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

From episode 4:
Daughter of the Night [Lanfear], she walks again.
The ancient war, she yet fights.
Her new lover she seeks, who shall server her and die, yet serve still.
Who shall stand against her coming?
The Shining Walls shall kneel.

Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.
Blood is, blood was, and blood shall ever be.

Edit: It seems to be the first stanza of the prophecy in the books.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I liked how the first book felt like LOTR, it helped put a "gravitas" on the other books, it made fades and stuff feel more scary than they otherwise would. It was just a great way to start the series IMO. And I think the show should have done the same, made the first season feel more like that. Before gradually changing it's feel.

And it should have been 16 episodes per season.

I absolutely think they need more episodes per season; I hope at some point Amazon gains enough confidence to let them do it. I don't know that we need as many as 16, but simply bumping from 8 to 10 would let them solve the majority of the existing pacing issues in my opinion.

In terms of the baddies, something that amuses me in the books and is becoming equally relevant in the show is how rapidly we get massive power creep on both the heroes and villains. In the premiere / start of the series, the Two Rivers kids are in tremendous danger from Trollocs. But now it's season 2 and Rand can instantly vaporize a Fade by scowling at it, and the biggest concern is maybe it'll upset his girlfriend that he did so.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean they did say that Rand is the strongest wizard ever. But it's also possible that that encounter was staged somehow.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

Rand can instantly vaporize a Fade by scowling at it, and the biggest concern is maybe it'll upset his girlfriend that he did so.

To be fair, his girlfriend pops people’s heads off on a whim and sets fires to cities if he asks for help. I’d be concerned about making her cross, myself.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lanfear is Very Concerning in general

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Gonna say that aside from the other two rivers kids and Loial, Lanfear is the person who has been the nicest to Rand in the whole show

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I became down horrendous for Lanfear once her true nature was revealed. Just perfect performance and her costume game is insane. Just non stop killing it with the costumes. Great writing, good and fun acting. I was busy this week and couldn’t watch until tonight but made my friend make sure to tell me if she was in this episode and if she still owned. 10/10.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Flowing Thot posted:

I became down horrendous for Lanfear once her true nature was revealed. Just perfect performance and her costume game is insane. Just non stop killing it with the costumes. Great writing, good and fun acting. I was busy this week and couldn’t watch until tonight but made my friend make sure to tell me if she was in this episode and if she still owned. 10/10.

Her boot budget appears to be through the roof considering how much fabric they use.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Let's see how season 2 ends tonight, I am hoping for some cool stuff but also they've made some major changes to the story already so who knows what will end up happening!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, I hope, hope, HOPE that they stick the landing.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I've liked season 2 a lot so far but, like, I don't know how the gently caress they are supposed to tie everything off and set us up for season 3 in an hour long episode. Let's hope they pull it off, somehow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Time to sink or soar, yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
70 minutes of Lanfear just going about her day-to-day.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

withak posted:

70 minutes of Lanfear just going about her day-to-day.

Doing the laundry with the power, cooking with the power, trying to decide what dress to wear today, blowing up a town. Just the normal day to day things.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Three things, which for clarity I will label as Part B, Item 7 and Section 𝕏.

Part B: Yup, am actually looking forward to the finale of Cute Lady Magic Show S2. Wonders, ceasing never, considering S1.

Item 7: Yup, would die for Elayne and/or Renna. By which I mean, die of cholera in a lovely village like everyone else.

Section 𝕏: Something that tickled my wired-wrong brain since the start of S1: what's the deal with the worldbuilding in the cracks? Not orcs, not trolls, but trollo[r]cs, and they serve the same cannon-fodder purpose. Not Inquisitors, they're Questioners, that act as an Inquisition. What's obviously supposed to be an ogre, like normal people would say, is an ogier (ogeer?). He's an ogre, near enough. Just say it.

Is this an artifact of find-and-replace will-this-do fantasy-doesn't-sell-anyway gently caress-it 1990s writing, or is it a deliberate thought-through post-apocalyptic lost-knowledge language shift, or something else?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

Three things, which for clarity I will label as Part B, Item 7 and Section 𝕏.

Part B: Yup, am actually looking forward to the finale of Cute Lady Magic Show S2. Wonders, ceasing never, considering S1.

Item 7: Yup, would die for Elayne and/or Renna. By which I mean, die of cholera in a lovely village like everyone else.

Section 𝕏: Something that tickled my wired-wrong brain since the start of S1: what's the deal with the worldbuilding in the cracks? Not orcs, not trolls, but trollo[r]cs, and they serve the same cannon-fodder purpose. Not Inquisitors, they're Questioners, that act as an Inquisition. What's obviously supposed to be an ogre, like normal people would say, is an ogier (ogeer?). He's an ogre, near enough. Just say it.

Is this an artifact of find-and-replace will-this-do fantasy-doesn't-sell-anyway gently caress-it 1990s writing, or is it a deliberate thought-through post-apocalyptic lost-knowledge language shift, or something else?

Time is a wheel. Legends of Ogier become Ogres, etc.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Only Kindness posted:

I hope you meant Ryma (the Yellow sister that sacrificed herself in episode 6). Renna is the Sul'dam that tortured Egwene.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Only Kindness posted:

The snarky way to answer that is that when The Eye of the World was published, "Gandalf is a lady" was enough to set it apart from the even more shameless LotR clones.

But it does go deeper than that. Jordan loved to crib-but-alter his references and cultural cues just as much as he did his character names and feed it into a theme that eternal and cyclical history means the same concepts, archetypes, and happenings come up again and again in countless variants. Even where Jordan hastily changed things around so it didn't look like he copied them works in the metaphysical conceit of the setting.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

DTurtle posted:

Renna is the Sul'dam that tortured Egwene.

Correct. Keep your Lanfears, it's all about Renna ova heah.

Killer robot posted:

Jordan loved to crib-but-alter his references and cultural cues just as much as he did his character names and feed it into a theme that eternal and cyclical history means the same concepts, archetypes, and happenings come up again and again in countless variants. Even where Jordan hastily changed things around so it didn't look like he copied them works in the metaphysical conceit of the setting.

That's actually the answer I hoped for. I mean, it's very very obvious he hit CTRL+H, we live in the real world after all, but there was at least some thought behind it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a very intentional motion on jordan's end that he kind of tweaked things a little bit here and there. it's not trying to pretend like it isn't reminiscent of various concepts and things at times, it's intentionally inviting people to hear/see something and kind of have that moment of realization of figuring out what kind of connection is going on there.

some of them will be obvious. others will not, but still exist nonetheless and be there for clever watchers/readers to figure out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's actually an Ogier Street in Charleston near where Jordan lived.

Rand Alr'Thour

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a very intentional motion on jordan's end that he kind of tweaked things a little bit here and there. it's not trying to pretend like it isn't reminiscent of various concepts and things at times, it's intentionally inviting people to hear/see something and kind of have that moment of realization of figuring out what kind of connection is going on there.

some of them will be obvious. others will not, but still exist nonetheless and be there for clever watchers/readers to figure out.

Yeah, there's an extremely specific and overt quote by Jordan in the little interview he gives that's attached to the audiobooks, where he outright says "Our history creates their myths, and their history creates our myths."

I think this single expression goes a long, long way toward justifying the "but why" of a lot of stuff in the setting. Some if it gets explained and elaborated on more, some of it less so and is just a fun easter egg, but it's always fundamentally just "because The Wheel".

I think there is quite likely to be more to say on this topic after tonight's finale, but stuff like "hey Ogier is just a slightly-tweaked ogre" is, if anything, on the milder end of an allusion audacity spectrum whose top end looks like the "wink wink nudge nudge" character from Monty Python.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

New Nielsen report is showing WoT ratings improving from week to week, for whatever that’s worth.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I imagine there's a significant amount of people who wait until streaming shows are halfway through a season before they sub for a month to see it all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

New Nielsen report is showing WoT ratings improving from week to week, for whatever that’s worth.

I think the word of mouth of "Hey, it's actually good this year!" is certainly bouying the show along quite a bit.

Donnerberg posted:

I imagine there's a significant amount of people who wait until streaming shows are halfway through a season before they sub for a month to see it all.

This too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Around what time have new episodes usually become available this season?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Around what time have new episodes usually become available this season?

Midnight GMT. So that's usually 5PM PST, 8PM EST. So literally 20 minutes from now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nine-gear crow posted:

Midnight GMT. So that's usually 5PM PST, 8PM EST. So literally 20 minutes from now.

:hfive:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's up!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Lanfear continues to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013