Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's well observed!

OK, what the gently caress. There was a Virus TOY LINE??

They thought this movie would be huge, it was another comic book adaptation (even though the comic was technically an adaptation of a yet unsold-screenplay) and you just know some executive producer thought they had the next Men in Black or something on their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, unfortunately I have to spoil my very silly plan for the Around the World challenge here because I need some help, but on the plus side if we find this we can all watch the only ever horror film made entirely in Antarctica:

Does anyone have a bead on where we can watch South of Sanity (2012)? It is famously not very good, but if someone can find it we’ll be the only freaks who can check that particular continent off this month :twisted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Hundu, that j horror found footage flick Psychic Visuons Jaganrei has subs now

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/9464831/psychic-vision-jaganrei-en

Ooh, very nice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

He also died of tuberculosis just as everyone was getting sick of his poo poo.

Factual inaccuracy in your post though - Hopkins didn't burn any witches. He "found" them, but there his involvement ended. It was the courts who tried and convicted people, and the punishment for witchcraft in England (where he exclusively operated) was to be hanged. The Scots had their own little bit of witch hysteria around the same time and they did burn witches, which is where the confusion probably comes from.

Similarly the people at Salem also didn't burn any witches because they were still English even if they moved across the pond because they were no longer allowed to religiously persecute people at home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrGreenShirt posted:

Oh man, I was absolutely obsessed with the toys for that movie as a kid!

I still have all of these.

That image doesn’t even show the Donald Sutherland figure that has interchangeable parts so you can make him as his normal human self or as a Virus cyborg.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Virus was made by one of Jim Cameron's go-to effects guys which explains some things (like why it's on a boat)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

drat just looked up that Goliath on eBay and it's too much for me to kitbash into a Demon Engine

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

MacheteZombie posted:

Hundu, that j horror found footage flick Psychic Visuons Jaganrei has subs now

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/9464831/psychic-vision-jaganrei-en

That's on my watchlist this month - its also available on the Internet Archive with ENG subs: https://archive.org/details/psychic-vision-jaganrei-1988-hardcoded-english

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Hmm, I am the one guy who loving hated Deadstream
Oh no, same here. Maybe it was my fault for going into it expecting something different than what I got, which was like this half baked EVIL DEAD IN THE STREAMER ERA riff.
Wow a ghost that shouts smash that like button!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha!!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
reviews for The Exorcist: Believer are about what I expected (not very good)

(I'm seeing it anyway)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I watched the first and third one for the first time recently (I know it's blasphemy probably but I prefer the third). I guess i might as well see Believer. It can't be as bad as the second one is supposed to be.
Though some people swear the second one is actually fun in a stupid/surreal/weird way at times and gives off Fulci vibes...any truth to that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My bad I've actually been informed that the purge will not be happening and it's just a regular broadcast of the national emergency notification.

Again , there will not be a Purge.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I realized that the first Saw and Saw X are the only ones I've seen in theatres. Wild.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched the first and third one for the first time recently (I know it's blasphemy probably but I prefer the third). I guess i might as well see Believer. It can't be as bad as the second one is supposed to be.
Though some people swear the second one is actually fun in a stupid/surreal/weird way at times and gives off Fulci vibes...any truth to that?

The people who maintain Exorcist 2 is "secretly good" or whatever do not have your best interests at heart. It's just really loving boring, not even into "so bad it's good" range.

I'm still gonna see Believer but with the one-two punch of Halloween Ends and now this, I'm firing up my take that David Gordon Green is a hack who got lucky once.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The people who maintain Exorcist 2 is "secretly good" or whatever do not have your best interests at heart. It's just really loving boring, not even into "so bad it's good" range.

Next you're gonna tell me that no leopards are actually spat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What about that Exorcist prequel, was that any good?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

What about that Exorcist prequel, was that any good?

i actually just watched Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist - Schrader's Version and it was pretty good! not great, but pretty good. haven't seen the Renny Harlin version but i love that it exists. one of the funnier behind-the-scenes stories.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There should be more double features that are two directors treating the same script.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just remembered that Paul Schrader and William Peter Blatty were kicked out of the premiere of the Renny Harlin version for heckling lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's something really charming about all the Exorcist directors outright hating or having beef with each other.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I can never remember which one I watched or maybe both it’s such a odd film production. Fascinating! But not really worth it all lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Okay, unfortunately I have to spoil my very silly plan for the Around the World challenge here because I need some help, but on the plus side if we find this we can all watch the only ever horror film made entirely in Antarctica:

Does anyone have a bead on where we can watch South of Sanity (2012)? It is famously not very good, but if someone can find it we’ll be the only freaks who can check that particular continent off this month :twisted:

Btw it seems like you can rent it on Vimeo. That was easy lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

There's something really charming about all the Exorcist directors outright hating or having beef with each other.

Blatty and Friedkin's "old married couple" energy was so fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i still haven't seen Exorcist II but i love that John Boorman was offered Exorcist I and was like "pff i'm not doing that," saw it make a jillion dollars, jumped on board to do the sequel, and bombed hard.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Say what you will about the Harlin exorcist prequel, but that movie’s opening goes pretty hard.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Nothing wrong with preferring Exorcist III to Exorcist I - it's got better actors* given a chance to just devour monologues, some really creepy atmosphere at times, and is overall a much more enjoyable experience than the original. (Not that there's anything wrong with the original, it's still great, but it's very intense and downbeat, and sometimes you just don't want a movie to make you miserable, you know?)

*Not a slight on the actors in the first at all, especially Ellen Burstyn and Max von Sydow, but I mean, you have George C. Scott and Brad Dourif both making a meal of the written word here; that's gonna paper over a lot of issues you'd otherwise have with "second sequel to one of the biggest hits and most influential films of all time."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's well observed!

OK, what the gently caress. There was a Virus TOY LINE??

Oh yeah man my buddy and I as kids had most of them so we almost finished the build a figure. It was dope.

The little virus monsters were cool and were a good villian for my action figure play time battles lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In a vacuum Exorcist III was the bestorcist. (It's my favorite, anyway.)

But there's a case to be made that the first one is how we ever got "serious" horror films. And it was pretty great!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I will not claim it as a misunderstood classic but I think Exorcist II is enjoyably weird

As far as the prequels go, I’ve only seen Dominion. That one at least has ideas in its head, but Paul Schrader seems to have had little interest in actually making a horror film and it suffers for it when the actual possession stuff takes center stage. Still need to see the Harlin version at some point, if only out of morbid curiosity

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I dearly love Exorcist III for many reasons, but the scene near the end where Nicol Williamson shows up at the insane asylum to exorcise Jason Miller just feels so out of place.

And famously, that’s because it WAS.

The studio bigwigs were supposedly seeing the dailies and liked what they saw, but eventually said “Hold on a minute! This *is* an Exorcist film, right? Where is the Exorcism?!!”

So they made them shoot that scene and tack it on the end. That’s the story I remember, anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think every Exorcist movie is good with the exception of Harlin's version of Dominion. Yes that includes Exorcist II, I really dig all of that weird "brushing of the wings" stuff which I think is probably key to enjoying that movie. If that aspect doesn't click for you then it's probably gonna be a miss.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just remembered that James Earl Jones is a bug scientist in that one. And he lives in a rope access cave.

There's a book for that one, isn't there? I bet it's way better

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea James Earl Jones is the bug scientist who was once a boy who had Pazuzu exorcized from him, and now he researches the bugs and their connection to Pazuzu.

Come on, how does that not sound like a good time?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I dearly love Exorcist III for many reasons, but the scene near the end where Nicol Williamson shows up at the insane asylum to exorcise Jason Miller just feels so out of place.

The studio bigwigs were supposedly seeing the dailies and liked what they saw, but eventually said “Hold on a minute! This *is* an Exorcist film, right? Where is the Exorcism?!!”

So they made them shoot that scene and tack it on the end. That’s the story I remember, anyway.

It’s rare that I agree with studio notes but I think it was the right decision to have that dramatic, climatic, exorcism. Not that I think you can’t have a movie about exorcisms/possession in a more abstract sense. Or that the really low-key grim original ending doesn’t feel at home with the tone of III. But the admittedly obviously shoehorned in exorcism has such great visual panache and that amazing George C. Scott “I believe” monologue. A more satisfying conclusion even if the film isn’t really looking to give you any sort of “happy” ending.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Scott's I Believe monologue was in there regardless, it's just the other priest going in and getting wrecked that was added. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, that whole subplot was a late addition and all those cutaway scenes feel very out of place. I agree that the film needs that big climax but it doesn't entirely work and the lead up to it entirely doesn't work.

The 40% that's the George C Scott and Brad Dourif stuff works exceptionally well, the 40% that's a slasher works pretty well, but the exorcism stuff feels comparatively underwhelming.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure Scott's I Believe monologue was in there regardless, it's just the other priest going in and getting wrecked that was added. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought the entire exorcism scene was added and the original ending was Kinderman going directly into the jail cell after saving his family and unceremoniously shooting Karras point blank. Like zero exorcism, special effects, anything.

Edit: think I found the original script and yes, none of the ending after the scene with the possessed nurse was originally there, including Scott’s monologue

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 4, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

I thought the entire exorcism scene was added and the original ending was Kinderman going directly into the jail cell after saving his family and unceremoniously shooting Karras point blank. Like zero exorcism, special effects, anything.

Edit: think I found the original script and yes, none of the ending after the scene with the possessed nurse was originally there, including Scott’s monologue

Yup, there's a workprint of that scene, and it's as hilariously blunt as you think it is.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like the studio mandated exorcist scene in exorcist 3 because the priest peeling himself off the ceiling is gnarly as heck.

Also, had no idea Hellraiser Bloodline is getting a work print release, really interested in seeing what are the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support the studio mandated exorcism yeah. It just leads to so many awesome moments and monologues (something the film is full of). There's enough cutaway scenes of that priest, and it's just such a fantastic spiritual horror battle...sure it was a sub plot but the minute I saw that motherfucker marching towards that cell I was like oh yeah buddy it's on

I support that original ending in a vacuum but what we got instead was just so awesome