Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does first class still give you unlimited free booze? i got upgraded once over a decade ago and the dude next to me ordered 3 bottles of wine lol
I dunno I’m too poor to ever find out, I’d guess probably not. if someone has $2000 to blow on 1-13 hr seat, then they have money to blow on lovely booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Mortgage rates just hit 8%

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I took a flight recently and instead of offering an upgrade fee, the airline emailed me and asked me to put in a "bid" for it, and I guess whoever puts in the highest bid wins the seat lol. I tried to bit $10 and was told the minimum was $950.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think that Private Air Travel will replace First Class, First Class will start to look more and more like what Coach looks like now, and Coach will be an entire plane that is standing room only

e: also you fly with loose luggage and packages

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xaris posted:

I dunno I’m too poor to ever find out, I’d guess probably not. if someone has $2000 to blow on 1-13 hr seat, then they have money to blow on lovely booze

Almost everybody up there is just travelling for work. Most expense policies won't cover you drinking $200 of booze by yourself but will cover a $2,000 plane ticket, so the booze is still free.

I travel very rarely for work but a boring job at an insurance company still paid for me to fly business and I got to try every drink offered on an Air Canada flight. Turns out they try hard to stock authentic Canadian wine, which happens to be awful.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

domestic first probably gets you unlimited drinks but even those tickets will usually push $1k unless you're going to the middle of nowhere. international first class to most desirable destinations is $4-7k now.

but yeah the alcohol is usually bad

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think that Private Air Travel will replace First Class, First Class will start to look more and more like what Coach looks like now, and Coach will be an entire plane that is standing room only

economy is miserable, economy plus is basically economy. also expect many more a321 planes with a 2x2 single aisle configuration for 5-6 hour flights in coming years.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Twerk from Home posted:

Almost everybody up there is just travelling for work. Most expense policies won't cover you drinking $200 of booze by yourself but will cover a $2,000 plane ticket, so the booze is still free.

I travel very rarely for work but a boring job at an insurance company still paid for me to fly business and I got to try every drink offered on an Air Canada flight. Turns out they try hard to stock authentic Canadian wine, which happens to be awful.

lol

when i was studying german it was fun to learn that Canadian Mist means Canadian poo poo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Student Loan Payments

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

err posted:

i thought it hit 7.5 :confused:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I did a weekday redeye cross country flight and 1st class wasn't terribly expensive so I got to try it out to knock it off the bucket list. I definitely got free booze.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In Training posted:

I took a flight recently and instead of offering an upgrade fee, the airline emailed me and asked me to put in a "bid" for it, and I guess whoever puts in the highest bid wins the seat lol. I tried to bit $10 and was told the minimum was $950.

Yeah I've tried to bid on the open first class seats before but for some reason my lowball offers never win out.

Anyway I usually shell out for the "extra comfort" row so my knees aren't brutally annihilated. I think those used to be regular seats near emergency exits that you could just select like any other but airlines realized they were leaving money on the table.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

e: also you fly with loose luggage and packages

there's definitely gaps in between the seat cushions that lets the person on top unleash the full force of their sbarro fueled farts on to the person below

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beached Whale posted:

there's definitely gaps in between the seat cushions that lets the person on top unleash the full force of their sbarro fueled farts on to the person below

This will only work pricing wise once the airlines are able to reliability identify perverts who crave a face full of stranger's rear end for hours.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Being forced to huff the farts of your betters is the guiding principle for American capitalism. To whit: Return to office push from President all the way on down to the local mayor.

And this will happen, due to the change in air pressure. It's unavoidable.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we're going to vacuum seal you in a bag and feed you by IV while we hang you on a rack with hundreds of other strangers and by the way this process was NOT designed by a sadistic pervert actually

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Twerk from Home posted:

This will only work pricing wise once the airlines are able to reliability identify perverts who crave a face full of stranger's rear end for hours.

The demo will self-select and drive up demand for the seat and their algorithms will just start charging more for these seats.

Now the real premium will in be selecting what gender and age (:mrwhite:) is sitting in front of you.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
they aren't even trying. i just doubled their profits. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

err posted:

$MOVE is also going nuts

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they buy it to feel superior

yeah I'm 6'2" and sitting in economy loving sucks balls, but ok

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

RadiRoot posted:

they aren't even trying. i just doubled their profits. :colbert:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

yeah I'm 6'2" and sitting in economy loving sucks balls, but ok

i'm 6'2" too you big baby

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Beached Whale posted:

I think the funniest part aside from gas-blasting (airlines make everyone gassy ontop of lovely Americana diets) is that the seats look like they’re STILL designed to recline so you can just entomb someone by reclining the seat over their head

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
$MOVE also diverged from VIX in the same way it does before a very bloody few days.

Past performance is no guarantee for the future or whatever

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm 6'2" too you big baby

if you're flying and can afford it, sitting in first is absolutely worth it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

if you're flying and can afford it, sitting in first is absolutely worth it.

i'm not flying and i can't afford it, enjoy lording over us poors

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm 6'8 and fold myself into an origami crane to get into the seats but you don't see me posting about it

Wait

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

$MOVE also diverged from VIX in the same way it does before a very bloody few days.

Past performance is no guarantee for the future or whatever

good. VIX needs to go up already

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

used to fly lufthansa business from europe to hk in the 00s. lots of space, free booze, good food and you could put the seat all the way down to make it a bed. extremely ftw

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beached Whale posted:

planes dont have enough room in them to accommodate doing this without, like, removing baggage/stowage both above and below the passenger deck. thats okay though, theyll just offer a bonus price discount for not being able to physically carry your baggage

hell why not do it fifth element style and lay everyone in pods four people deep

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm not flying and i can't afford it, enjoy lording over us poors

? ok

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
day 2 of major LTL carrier Estes network down due to cyberattack. been a great few months in LTL world.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
somebody please post slaveship.png

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
There are fewer houses available on the market than have been in a long time. Prices havent corrected. Rates are pricing out buyers. Those people with sub 4% arent selling. AS SOON as prices correct or rates drop, demand will increase tenfold. Homes on the market likely won't, because people dont want to sell current home with low rate for new home with higher rate/price. So supply will fall even more, prices will go higher. All the people "waiting for rates to come down" will be priced out, again.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

err posted:

There are fewer houses available on the market than have been in a long time. Prices havent corrected. Rates are pricing out buyers. Those people with sub 4% arent selling. AS SOON as prices correct or rates drop, demand will increase tenfold. Homes on the market likely won't, because people dont want to sell current home with low rate for new home with higher rate/price. So supply will fall even more, prices will go higher. All the people "waiting for rates to come down" will be priced out, again.

thats what i figure after waiting years. and if it does go down then there goes my job probably.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Also existing homeowners fight new construction tooth and nail and whatever supply does get added disappears into landlords and airbnb

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
number up! 🎉

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

planes dont have enough room in them to accommodate doing this without, like, removing baggage/stowage both above and below the passenger deck. thats okay though, theyll just offer a bonus price discount for not being able to physically carry your baggage

hell why not do it fifth element style and lay everyone in pods four people deep

yeah, these stupid designs are always 100% nonstarter ideas because they are impossible to certify, take up too much space, too heavy, too complicated to remove, impede egress, ect the list goes on and on and I think they end up doing these just to get attention at conferences and investors to sink into their companies

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my suspicion is that the real money making evil airline experience will be some sort of windowless plane which requires you to sit and watch ads the entire time unless you pay to opt out of it

edit: with even less legroom

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

err posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao