Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

more proof that Europe is a US colony

now it's their turn to get the weird diseases that developed in the imperial core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Europe finally gets bedbugs, US finally gets treatment resistant bacterial STDs, it's like the Columbian exchange all over again

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
*cab driver* you know where I can get some American fly bedbug?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

An American Bedbug in Paris

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Bret Stephens: International Menace

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Bret Stephens: International Menace

Tough Guy!

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Bitten by Kris Newby is a good book on Willy Burgdorfer, Plum Island, Fort Detrick (of course), and how Lyme disease is prob a product of ticks-as-vectors bioweapon research

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

multistability posted:

Bitten by Kris Newby is a good book on Willy Burgdorfer, Plum Island, Fort Detrick (of course), and how Lyme disease is prob a product of ticks-as-vectors bioweapon research

No loving way lmao

:psyduck:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Fort Detick

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I call it Fort Detricks, because that's where they trick ya

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Considering that people have been getting Lyme disease for hundreds of years, that seems unlikely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they deliberately infected a bunch of the population with it as some kind of test, but ticks have been giving people bacterial infections forever. This guy is the oldest known person to have had it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Endman posted:

Considering that people have been getting Lyme disease for hundreds of years, that seems unlikely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they deliberately infected a bunch of the population with it as some kind of test, but ticks have been giving people bacterial infections forever. This guy is the oldest known person to have had it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

I probably should have said "the modern epidemic of Lyme disease whose epicenter is Lyme, Conneticut circa 1975". Obv Willy Burgdorfer didn't synthesise the Lyme disease spirochete in Fort Detrick, he (probably) just weaponised it. The book goes into all this - it's good

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Endman posted:

multistability posted:

I probably should have said "the modern epidemic of Lyme disease whose epicenter is Lyme, Conneticut circa 1975". Obv Willy Burgdorfer didn't synthesise the Lyme disease spirochete in Fort Detrick, he (probably) just weaponised it. The book goes into all this - it's good

yeah, Lab 257 by Carroll also postulates tick escapees from Plum Island - iirc at one point in the 80s someone inspected some vent screens and found them to be larger than specced, the implication being that not only could ticks/vectors potentially escape thru there but that none of the other security/containment features could be trusted on paper. Originally they were supposed to cull any deer that made it to the island to avoid them potentially bringing infected bugs to the mainland but at some point that fell off too

edit: pdf here https://ia903108.us.archive.org/19/items/Lab257HowLymeDiseaseWasCreatedAgenda21/Michael_Carroll_Lab_257.pdf lol @ the url

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Oct 5, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Lol Burgdorfer is named dropped on page 5 and then on page 41 he tells author Carroll oh yeah sure Plum Island might be the source of the modern Lyme epidemic, maybe, I don't know! Don't look at me! He's also called Wally here.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Lol Burgdorfer is named dropped on page 5 and then on page 41 he tells author Carroll oh yeah sure Plum Island might be the source of the modern Lyme epidemic, maybe, I don't know! Don't look at me! He's also called Wally here.

googling plum island and it's restricted, they don't say why, just 'to protect livestock'

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

FirstnameLastname posted:

googling plum island and it's restricted, they don't say why, just 'to protect livestock'

call me some guy itt right now:

White-tailed deer often swim across Plum Gut, the two-mile-wide strait that separates Plum Island from Long Island. Countless birds— including seagulls, Canadian geese, and osprey—fly between coastal Con- necticut, Long Island, and Plum Island. Old Lyme lies directly in the flight vector of birds that congregate on Plum Island and migrate north and south along the East Coast. When biological security was taken seriously in the early 1950s, deer were shot on sight by trained snipers. Even puppies and dogs, fatefully setting their paws on the island’s beaches with their owners, would be euthanized. By 1975, germs on Plum Island increased in both numbers and virulence—but safety and security measures moved in the opposite direction.

Tests were supposed to be held in airtight laboratory rooms. Instead, internal government documents prove there were gaping holes in the lab roofs where air currents and insects freely came and went, depending upon the direction of the wind. What’s more, the animals were held in outdoor pens, where they were injected with virus vaccines and fed out of open-air feeding troughs. Plum Island workers witnessed birds flying in and out of the pens, picking morsels from the troughs. Wild animals were shooed away, but not before birds swooped down and mingled with the test ani- mals. One eyewitness reported seeing deer entering the animal pens to feed.
If Dr. Traub continued his outdoor germ experiments with the Army and experimented with ticks outdoors, the ticks would have made contact with mice, deer, and more than 140 species of wild birds known to frequent and nest on Plum Island. The birds spread their toxic cargo to resting and nesting perches atop the great elms and oaks of Old Lyme and elsewhere, just like they spread the West Nile virus throughout the United States.

Researchers trying to prove that Lyme disease existed before 1975 claim to have isolated Bb in ticks collected on nearby Shelter Island and Long Island in the late 1940s. That timing coincides with both Erich Traub’s arrival in the United States on Project PAPERCLIP and the Army’s selection of Plum Island as its offshore biological warfare laboratory.

The USDA’s spokesperson, Sandy Miller Hays, is unconvinced about the possibility of a link between Lyme disease and Plum Island:

"Lyme disease—well, the positive agent for Lyme disease was identi- fied in 1948, which was about six years before Plum Island came into being. So then some people blame the Army. There is a part of me that says, “Let me get this straight, the U.S. Army, that had saved the world, came along after the war and said, ‘Let’s poison a bunch of ticks and turn them loose on people in Connecticut?’ ”
We kind of giggle around here about the stories, but some of them are just outlandish. I always laugh about Nazi scientists. . . .
Do you want to hear about how [scientists] are keeping a cow from drooling or do you want to hear about poisoned ticks and the Nazi scientists? It’s always more fun to tell those scary stories."

A PR expert, Hays had Scientific American eating out of her hand in June 2000, when they reported her as saying, “ ‘We still get asked about the Nazi scientists,’ . . . [with] the slightest trace of weariness creeping into her voice.” In their feature story on Plum Island, the prestigious magazine dubbed the intrigue surrounding the island as a “fanciful fictional tapestry.”

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Kris Newby, Bitten:

quote:

During the mid-1950s, Willy spent a lot of time away from the Rocky Mountain Lab, at Camp Detrick, in Maryland, working with project manager Dale W. Jenkins, chief of the entomology division of the U.S. Army Chemical Corps. ... James Oliver, a young soldier working under Jenkins ... first met Willy in 1955, during one of his trips to Fort Detrick. Oliver was working on a program to drop weaponized ticks out of airplanes,12 and he and Willy brainstormed ways to increase the reproduction rate of ticks to keep up with military needs.13 In the end, they couldn’t figure out how to get ticks to lay more eggs. Willy worked for several years exploring the “efficiency and potentiality of ticks in maintaining the Colorado Tick Fever virus and in their ability to transmit the disease to man or other important hosts.” This required that he dissect infected baby mouse brains, isolate the virus from the tissue, and then force-feed the virus into various species of ticks. He created a vaccine for this virus and tested it on twenty-seven human volunteers at Montana State Prison, reporting that there were no ill effects from the trial except for “a marked depressing effect on the bone marrow and the antibody-forming apparatus.” (In other words, the virus suppressed the human immune system.)

quote:

Where had the agents discovered in ticks from the Long Island Sound come from? I think the most likely scenario is a military experiment gone wrong or an accidental release from Plum Island Animal Disease Center of New York. Plum Island research focused primarily on animal diseases such as babesiosis, rickettsias, foot-and-mouth disease, duck plague, and swine flu virus. The researchers at Plum Island also raised large quantities of ticks,10 and they’ve had a few containment breaches.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
haha wikipedia

those citations go to a "balanced" CNN article that quotes Sandy Miller Hays' denials but hardly "discredits" anything, and this review of the book:

My criticism of the book is that it's too normie and restrained! Look what that gets you when people don't want to admit things ...

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Oct 5, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Also "the specter of antianimal BW work" refers to Traub's work on experiments with plague/disease spreading by plane over Russia, similar to Unit 731 and the USA's Korean plague bombs! The reviewer tries to minimize it to sound like pencil pushing lab work but it was quite literally biological warfare. Even nazi germ warfare scientists can get the ultimate benefit of the doubt over whether they were really nazis!

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Also "the specter of antianimal BW work" refers to Traub's work on experiments with plague/disease spreading by plane over Russia, similar to Unit 731 and the USA's Korean plague bombs! The reviewer tries to minimize it to sound like pencil pushing lab work but it was quite literally biological warfare. Even nazi germ warfare scientists can get the ultimate benefit of the doubt over whether they were really nazis!

Any reading recs re Nazi Germany's biological warfare programme?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Victor Vermis posted:

Every Thursday I watch Why Files with my loved ones and, this week, right then and there, I shouted "FORT DETRICK! FORT DETRICK!"

And their judgmental and confused response only proves that my genetic line is full of immature jerks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunNIAGN8Ac

Is Why Files good? I never heard of it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

multistability posted:

Any reading recs re Nazi Germany's biological warfare programme?

not from me, there's just a little bit about Traub's WWII work in this book including the BW against Russian targets.

The book reviewer, Reid Kirby, has an article in the Army Chemical Review, July-December 2005, which is a history of the flea as a BW vector (starts page 30): https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_12467.pdf

it's a straightforward account and details Unit 731's porcelain plague bombs but then ...

hmmm let's check the citations ...

lmao that the first endnote just says it's not true without even a source, while the second one is our old friend Milton Leitenberg and his secret papers! Kirby even admits that we gave 731 scientists amnesty, but then somehow it took almost a decade for us to make good on that?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
No wonder we lost the war on terror, our dragon soldiers don't even know where Seattle is!

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

multistability posted:

I read a piece in readers digest in the early 2000s in a dentist office that said exactly this

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol Kevin Spacey got hit with the heart attack gun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

god save the queen

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is Why Files good? I never heard of it.

its not bad. he will go through the stories and legends about these kinda things first and then loop back and do a debunk where possible. gives sources. its pretty entertaining, heckling sidekick and all

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

god save the queen

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

I call it Fort Detricks, because that's where they trick ya

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

my bony fealty posted:

Let me be Frank, it's disappointing he survived

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Sleekly posted:

its not bad. he will go through the stories and legends about these kinda things first and then loop back and do a debunk where possible. gives sources. its pretty entertaining, heckling sidekick and all

the dude is a little Joe Rogan-ish and he uses the fish gimmick to kind of say things he doesn't want to be on record as saying, there's a bit of climate science denialism in the fish dialogues that's a little :chloe: but it's an entertaining channel

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

negligent discharge

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

it's not super effective...

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the why files "where high iq nerds come to laugh and learn"

Endman
May 18, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

it's not super effective...

you have to have a heart for it to really work

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

fanfic insert posted:

the dude is a little Joe Rogan-ish and he uses the fish gimmick to kind of say things he doesn't want to be on record as saying, there's a bit of climate science denialism in the fish dialogues that's a little :chloe: but it's an entertaining channel

The fish also talks about vaccines. I figured it was a trick to appeal to a wide audience interested in watching conspiracy stuff, you can choose to view the fish as wink-wink-here's-the-real-truth or a get-a-load-of-qanons-amirite.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NiallHughes/status/1710014547522666673?t=pdw04AsxpGYsT3sd5d84_g&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mother....fucker!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I am tired of seeing the name “Niall”. It’s a fake made up name like “Morag”