Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mortal Kombat: what the gently caress, female characters wont do the farting animation, this is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Donnerberg posted:

It's the center mesa. It should open by the time you get the festival mesa. No need to sweat it early on though. The seasonal tower is tuned for level 30.

It's the only tower on that mesa with a reward. Four red/orange skins with tats, that you can't get anywhere else. It's hard to tell them apart from the rest of the seasonal skins though.

Also, there's a tough TYM at the end of the tower that tends to get people. You still get the skins if you fail the TYM, but it skips the rewards screen. Easy to miss that you got them.

Oh. I had both places unlocked after launching MK1 today. Did one of the Hourly Towers (which had just loving EVERYTHING FIRE) and I'm going back to the regular Invasion maps.

I also unlocked Shujinko Kameo and as it turns out you just need to do QCF/QCB for his kopykat moves.

I also realized I should always be getting Kountdown Charges as Geras for he gets free time freeze at 3 charges.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I got three different ragequits while playing Rain tonight and someone who got verbally abusive when I responded to teabagging with a fatality as I took the set 3-2. I think I might have my kharacter here.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Finally got around to watching the story. I'll spoiler thoughts just to be safe.

Overall the plot felt....safe. They knew they couldn't do a full reboot again because they just did one, and so they changed just enough things to make it different but not so different that it was unrecognizeable, which is honestly disappointing. I know they're toying with the idea that some characters are going to be the way they are no matter what, Bi-Han/Shao/Shang Tsung et al., but that kind of goes out the window with Kuai Liang Scorpion and the Edenians all being on the same page.

-Subsequently, the plot feels like it's hitting the usual beats for far too long. As nice as it is seeing Barake and Reptile upgraded from jobber status, they still are only around for their story beats and then gently caress off for the rest of the plot. I feel like the plot really needed to go off the rails far before it actually did.

-Megan Fox was atrocious as everyone said, but I do wonder if it's not all her fault. I could see a scenario where she was told to read as flat as possible with the idea that they would put a spooky vampire filter over her, only for some WB exec to say "We're paying good money for Megan Fox she needs to sound like Megan Fox!' and welp, now you've got poo poo VA and no time to fix it.

-I'll give them credit for the Kronika fakeout and an evil wizard/Shang Tsung being behind it all, but I feel like we needed another betrayal. This flows into my next point: Liu Kang giving up his powers and taking back his old ones really meant gently caress all in the actual plot, and tbh I fully expected something to happen once he and Geras were discussing what needed to happen and Geras said something like "mother of all battles." I was sitting there thinking "that doesn't sound like a Geras line." Not to get into fantasy booking, but had Liu Kang taken back his powers that made him mortal and then immediately had his neck snapped by Geras who morphs back into Shang Tsung, that would have been a callback and really sent the plot off into who-knows-whereville.

-The last chapter was fun and seeing the Amalagamation kharacters was interesting. I do agree that jobbing the Kombat Kids out was pointless and I wish they had made use of older assets for brief kills. Have a Nightwolf get got. Have someone pop off Erron Black. Have Hsu Hao show up and say "hello my name is Hsu Hao" and immediately explode and no one cares. But back to the kombo kharacters, given that there's an empty spot on the kharacter select I wish that you could choose a random kharater and it would give you someone random from their pool with the reduced health. Maybe it could only work in locals and not work on the Switch at all, but the game barely works on the Switch now as is.

-The story ending with Havik makes me wish he hadn't been in the story at all; he doesn't do a drat thing other then get burned. Replace Havik with Ermac and in the DLC replace Ermac with whomever, and save Havik for the next DLC plot.

-Speaking of DLC, I'm guessing we get Chaosrealm vs. Orderrealm and some Lin Kuei robot stuff. I never touched the 3d games so I don't know who else they can dig up for playable kharacters there.

-An idea I had is that multiple timelines is going to mean endless konflict and the subsequent invading and merging, what would be interesting is if you had to declare Mortal Kombat in order to invade and conquer a timeline, since that was the old rule for invading/conquering realms and that means nothing now. Given that there's no higher power than a Titan I'm not sure how that would be enforced, but if we're making the plot up as we go we can find something.

In the end I may have to put this last among MK stories. I haven't watched the last three in a while but gun to my head I'd go X-9-11-1 with the right to revisit and rerank, and I think IJ2 is the best one that NRS has done. I'm curious to see just how much story DLC there will be and what the hook is for the next game towards the end of the decade, or later if IJ3 gets to exist.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Between this game and the mobile game they have ramping up, it really seems like someone at WB decided the IP wasn't being milked hard enough and that they had to establish a status quo where multiple versions of every conceivable character could justifiably be milked at all times.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

maruhkati posted:

Jon Moxley (WBD brand synergy, he can finally live his dream and have blood in every match)

Hoooooly poo poo would this rule.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This was more of a full reboot than the last one.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
after many useless pieces of art the Shrine finally gave me Reptile's no mask mask. he's a challenge 2 learn but I'm enjoying it :dbuddy:

opponents keep remarking that I'm a handsome but cold hearted snake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If someone fatalities you in the first game of a KL set it's your elder god-given right to make them sit through the longest most excruciating fatality available for every subequent match. Doubly so if they are a Scorpion player.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bumper Stickup posted:

I maintain that Mavado would be pretty interesting in a 2D incarnation if they really leaned into his bungie cord hooks.

Honestly? In this game the bungie cord poo poo could be sick as gently caress

Imagine the vortexes and the air combos, holy poo poo :getin:

I'm mostly joking: I am honestly so impressed by the face lift to every 3d era characters in this game that I'm willing to give Netherealm a lot of leeway to go wild on more

Also Nitara is fun as gently caress holy poo poo: her loving nonsense where she just keeps continually dash biting you is dumb as gently caress and I love it.

Every character and kameo in this game is so fun: it's just a really fun fighting game to play and do fun crazy poo poo in.

This game went from a few months ago being a game I wasn't even interested in to my possible GOTY, same with new Cyberpunk update.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
They sure half assed the towers

All 3 hourlys were the exact same 1 floor EVERYTHING FIRE fight against reptile/jax

The daily and weekly towers are the exact same "you cant see anything, lose control every 2 seconds and are juggled constantly by a dozen random things flying in offscreen, and you cant do any damage whatsoever without the windbreaker" bullshit fights

Not digging it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

X JAKK posted:

All 3 hourlys were the exact same 1 floor EVERYTHING FIRE fight against reptile/jax

The daily and weekly towers are the exact same "you cant see anything, lose control every 2 seconds and are juggled constantly by a dozen random things flying in offscreen, and you cant do any damage whatsoever without the windbreaker" bullshit fights

Not digging it

Yeah they need to adjust this

That many modifiers is just crazy to deal with

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

X JAKK posted:

Not digging it

Good to know the ToT mode is just as bad as the ToT were.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

X JAKK posted:

Not digging it

On top of this a lot of the stuff damages your opponent too which makes it near impossible to land a brutality or fatality so you also end up getting almost no xp after a bullshit fight.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Regrettable posted:

On top of this a lot of the stuff damages your opponent too which makes it near impossible to land a brutality or fatality so you also end up getting almost no xp after a bullshit fight.

Wait you get more xp for brutal/ Fatalities?

Is that across the board?

I just have Motaro to unlock of the kameos now, that would significantly speed things up

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
New weekly towers, exactly the same as before, so theres really no point in these at all.

Also pointless is the forge, anything useful has literally no chance of success, and the ones that do succeed have such a negligable 1% effect its just a waste of time

Johnny Cage has the best fart, he lifts his leg straight up in the air and really lets it rip

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I just have Motaro to unlock of the kameos now, that would significantly speed things up

Yep, fatalities give more than no finisher, brutalities give more than fatalities, and flawless victories give the most xp. So to get the absolute most out of a fight you want a flawless victory and brutality.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

You get a bonus for Fatalities/Kameo Fatalities and a larger bonus for a Brutality.

Every kombatant has the Johnny Cage Klassic as a Brutality (upperkut your opponent and keep holding the button - hit has to do enough damage to end the round), so unless you have bullshit mods or misjudge your other attacks you should always go for that one if you need to hit 25 soon.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

X JAKK posted:

New weekly towers, exactly the same as before, so theres really no point in these at all.

Also pointless is the forge, anything useful has literally no chance of success, and the ones that do succeed have such a negligable 1% effect its just a waste of time

Johnny Cage has the best fart, he lifts his leg straight up in the air and really lets it rip

There's an item you can buy in the last mesa that increases the chance of success on forging. Probably the best way to cheese the challenge tower right now is to collect a bunch of those and a bunch of meat that adds healing from one of the village mesa shops to a Talisman and add them to the fart Talisman. Then buy the konsumable that gives you unlimited Talisman uses for a fight. You can stack up to 10 meat to increase the healing on it. I believe you also need around 10 of the item that increases forge chance to guarantee success. This takes a while to do because the shops only reset once every hour and sometimes they won't have the item you need but sometimes they'll have multiple.

e: yeah, just checked and you need 10 dragon blood to guarantee forging success

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Post patch, inputs are still different between P1 and P2 at least in online play (on PC anyway).

Come on Ed... You're killing me here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The biggest problem with online is that people keep trying to win instead of politely walking into my 400 damage combos so I can practice them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I gotta say, the average sweatiness of KL is pretty intense. Even at GM there are dudes who can easily light you up for 450+ damage and seven out of my last ten sets have gone all 5 games. I don't remember MK11 being nearly this stressful, it's giving me War3 flashbacks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unbound posted:

I was low-key hoping for Taven to be that 24th character slot, especially with how prominent Edianian's were in the story. Though Daegon is fine to remain that completely forgotten character from that game.

Taven and Daegon can be really interesting in the New Era. While Daegon sucks, I'm not going to hold it against him since he was only playable in one of the worst MK games where he was overshadowed by the EVERYONE IS HERE! gimmick.

Canonically, he adds a layer to what Liu Kang did because Daegon is an important butterfly effect to the original timelines. Daegon was woken up too early from his slumber and corrupted by Shinnok. Doing so created the Red Dragon, which led to the Black Dragon, which led to the whole Special Forces corner of Earthrealm. By removing Armageddon's prophecy and Shinnok's meddling, so much has changed and Daegon can be a completely different person with a new role.

Though reading that back, it makes me realize that in MKX, Shinnok created his own downfall by being roundabout responsible for Cassie Cage existing.

Anyway, MK1 leaves Rain in an interesting spot. Throughout the previous games, Rain has just been a total shitbag, constantly complaining about how he doesn't get enough respect no matter what anybody does. His MK1 ending has him so overwhelmed by guilt that he shows humility and compassion for the first time ever. Following that up by bringing in his brothers could be a really cool direction for DLC or sequels.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
i think at this point we can safely say the 24th character slot is the dlc character selection opener, like mk9. same on the kameo screen

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

New Yahtzee take on MK1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjab9wIIiRg

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
lol what year is this

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

lol what year is this

1, it's in the Game title.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, there had to be at least 1 person who didn't like MK1, statistically speaking. Crazy coincidence that it'd be a goon though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I do appreciate the point that it took 8 games for them to write themselves into a corner, then it took 3, now they've gone from reboot to stuck in a corner in just 1 game.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

I don't understand why people play games in a series they clearly don't like

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
They can make this game last for a decade cause all DLC no matter how branded or ridiculous can be canon in MK1

No corner, no corner

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Unbound posted:

I don't understand why people play games in a series they clearly don't like

So they can complain online for clicks, silly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Regrettable posted:

So they can complain online for clicks, silly.

Brb making a video review on why Shang Tsung needs more skull projectiles and other timer scam options

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7285629268133023019

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7286122028430839086

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If The Boys is a theme for guest kharacters this time around, I hope the hemokinetic lady from GenV is the next pick since Skarlet apparently doesn't exist anymore.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

If The Boys is a theme for guest kharacters this time around, I hope the hemokinetic lady from GenV is the next pick since Skarlet apparently doesn't exist anymore.

Skarlet works at the Outworld Red Cross, and is a non kombatant

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

PostNouveau posted:

I do appreciate the point that it took 8 games for them to write themselves into a corner, then it took 3, now they've gone from reboot to stuck in a corner in just 1 game.

I think the most salient point is that Street Fighter 6 does a much better job of appealing to people who aren't already fans of the 2D fighter genre, and also showing them what's fun about fighting games. This is a game that used a reboot to make the kontinuity MORE confusing, and also to bring back a bunch of Glup Shittos from the series' least popular period.

That he hated the story is no surprise - the story is dumb as balls. This is true even of the "good" NRS story modes.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

McSpanky posted:

i mean, titan skarlet exists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One aspect of fighting games I've learned to internalize more over the years is quitting while you're ahead. Whatever meager MK1 skills I possess decay if I spend too long in Ranked and it's easy to get tilted thinking about your last loss when you should be thinking about the game you're playing right now.

Also WTF is with Reiko and Darrius?? These two jobbers are doing like 500 damage to me per touch, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

One aspect of fighting games I've learned to internalize more over the years is quitting while you're ahead. Whatever meager MK1 skills I possess decay if I spend too long in Ranked and it's easy to get tilted thinking about your last loss when you should be thinking about the game you're playing right now.

Also WTF is with Reiko and Darrius?? These two jobbers are doing like 500 damage to me per touch, jesus.

Mk1 with Reiko and Baraka being really good is like Revenge of the Jobbers lol