Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Amy also read the audiobook version as well if you prefer that (as I do)

Besides his Grammy nomination for reading Alex's memoir, Ken has read all his books he wrote except for Maphead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did this guy yesterday seriously not know how a daily double works? After already being on the show once before?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did this guy yesterday seriously not know how a daily double works? After already being on the show once before?

this is the champions tournament, i'm confident that.... hold on...

yes, that is correct

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ken is so much more polite and helpful than Mayim. I'm 100% sure she wouldn't have clarified that for the contestant.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JazzFlight posted:

Ken is so much more polite and helpful than Mayim. I'm 100% sure she wouldn't have clarified that for the contestant.

I think I say this every time they swap off. Any time someone with a total under the max wager says that phrase, she just moves on and assumes it means just what they have, not the actual max.

Helps when you have someone actually familiar with the game and its rules running things, not someone who flat out admitted she didn't even watch it before her audition.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I had walked away briefly and didn't really catch it. What happened / are the rules confusion for a DD?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Basically a dude had 1600 in round 2 and hit a DD. If he says "let's make it a true daily double" does that mean he's wagering 1600 or the actual max wager of 2000?

When this happened on Monday, Ken took a moment to clarify what the contestant intended to do, whereas Mayim always just defaults to the 1600 and plows on.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I've talked to a few thread regulars about this, but I'm trying to hone my trivia skills with an eye to maybe hopefully getting on Jeopardy some day (but also mostly because I enjoy learning stuff and doing well in LearnedLeague). I've got lots of resources for learning trivia and practicing, and have a massive list of stuff I know I don't know well enough or could afford to spend more time on, but there's one massive hole in my trivia knowledge: sports. I know Jeopardy is sort of known for having comically easy sports trivia, but even so I feel like I never know anything in the sports categories. Anybody have any advice on getting better at sports trivia?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MockingQuantum posted:

So I've talked to a few thread regulars about this, but I'm trying to hone my trivia skills with an eye to maybe hopefully getting on Jeopardy some day (but also mostly because I enjoy learning stuff and doing well in LearnedLeague). I've got lots of resources for learning trivia and practicing, and have a massive list of stuff I know I don't know well enough or could afford to spend more time on, but there's one massive hole in my trivia knowledge: sports. I know Jeopardy is sort of known for having comically easy sports trivia, but even so I feel like I never know anything in the sports categories. Anybody have any advice on getting better at sports trivia?

Hi, I'm one of those people who love sports and trivia. Since a good amount of questions deal with naming teams in North America, learning about the big four leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) and their teams would be a good start. For individuals, it’ll either be a current star player or a legendary figure in the sport’s history. Check the Hall of Fames or Top 75/100 all time list (each league has an official one) for each sport for the latter.

Certain numbers will be tied to a player either as the number they wore, a career highlight or a total for a certain metric. For example, Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox) will be tied to 9 (His number on the team), .406 (his batting average in 1941, the last player to date to hit above .400) and 521 (number of home runs). Each player is different, some will be championships, some will be goals/points, some will be the position they played which can have a number assigned to it.

Of course there are sports played by individuals which apply here such as golf, tennis and events in the Olympics so places like Wikipedia, Sports Reference and even TV Tropes would be places to start. There's also Sports Argument Stadium just in case going outside SA sounds dreadful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think I say this every time they swap off. Any time someone with a total under the max wager says that phrase, she just moves on and assumes it means just what they have, not the actual max.

Helps when you have someone actually familiar with the game and its rules running things, not someone who flat out admitted she didn't even watch it before her audition.

It's just good practice IMO because anyone in that situation is going to instinctively want to say the thing so clarifying is good

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
At Sporclecon last month, I saw Buzzy do a talk/Q&A mostly about his book, and one thing he mentioned was the study strategy he learned from Alex when they were on the same team for that mega-tournament. He would watch a Jeopardy game or go through one on j-archive, and whenever there was an answer he didn't know, he would search to see if it had ever come up before on the show. If the answer was yes, he would make a flash card for it. Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

did you ask him about the hot bald guy that gave him the fuckin' business on the chase?????

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
10/18 CJ!: Steven Weber (Wings), Shane Battier (ex-NBA), Melissa Fumero (Brooklyn 99)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Hi, I'm one of those people who love sports and trivia. Since a good amount of questions deal with naming teams in North America, learning about the big four leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) and their teams would be a good start. For individuals, it’ll either be a current star player or a legendary figure in the sport’s history. Check the Hall of Fames or Top 75/100 all time list (each league has an official one) for each sport for the latter.

Certain numbers will be tied to a player either as the number they wore, a career highlight or a total for a certain metric. For example, Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox) will be tied to 9 (His number on the team), .406 (his batting average in 1941, the last player to date to hit above .400) and 521 (number of home runs). Each player is different, some will be championships, some will be goals/points, some will be the position they played which can have a number assigned to it.

Of course there are sports played by individuals which apply here such as golf, tennis and events in the Olympics so places like Wikipedia, Sports Reference and even TV Tropes would be places to start. There's also Sports Argument Stadium just in case going outside SA sounds dreadful.

Thank you for this! This gives me a good idea of how to slice and dice the huge history of some of these sports and read up on them. I'm at least not starting from zero since I used to play basketball and watched a fair amount of football and baseball when I was younger, so I at least understand the games and have a passing familiarity with a certain era of players. My parents are huge tennis fans too so I'm actually pretty good on tennis trivia too, which is nice.

But yeah, if you're not kind of constantly paying attention, sports trivia can certainly feel pretty overwhelming, so thank you for the pointers.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MockingQuantum posted:

Thank you for this! This gives me a good idea of how to slice and dice the huge history of some of these sports and read up on them. I'm at least not starting from zero since I used to play basketball and watched a fair amount of football and baseball when I was younger, so I at least understand the games and have a passing familiarity with a certain era of players. My parents are huge tennis fans too so I'm actually pretty good on tennis trivia too, which is nice.

But yeah, if you're not kind of constantly paying attention, sports trivia can certainly feel pretty overwhelming, so thank you for the pointers.

You're welcome. It was the least I could do. There's a reason why sports are frequently on Jeopardy (and had it's own spinoff) so sleeping on it is almost never a good idea. Come to think of it, Opera might be in the same boat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Jeopardy only covers maybe 5-10 operas absolute max

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
*Brushes off cobwebs* Hello? Anyone here?

Hmm, Old Canucks decals, SAG-AFTRA strike poster, LearnedLeague request to a reta...wait, that one's mine. Guess nobody wants the tournaments of repeat questions and a Hofstra grad but I digress. Let's see, 10/25 CJ!:

Mira Sorvino
Adam Rodriguez
Peter Schrager

Probably have a better shot of finding actual WWE fans in the WWE thread these days...

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2023

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm still months behind but TBH have no interest in these upcoming tournaments, despite friends of mine actually being involved in them. The fact that there are no new contestants until next April is absolutely wild, and means I don't have any incentive to get through the four or so more months of new episodes on my PVR.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Probably have a better shot of finding actual WWE fans in the WWE thread these days...

i've watched more wwe than jeopardy this year and i haven't watched a lot of wwe.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I catch up every week. Glad Ken is back!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

i've watched more wwe than jeopardy this year and i haven't watched a lot of wwe.

My reasons are more familial why I watch WWE these days but I do have concerns if Ken will be blamed for a ratings slump rather than lack of interest due to strike(s)/tournaments

I stopped playing J6 though

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i feel like if jeopardy was on hulu or something i'd watch every episode regardless of host/players/clues whatever

but the effort it takes to track them down online, eh!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I haven't watched since Mayim came back in May or whatever. Kinda lost my zest for trivia in general.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I haven’t watched a lot bc it comes on at 4:30 where I live and I’m usually at work then

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Poque posted:

Kinda lost my zest for trivia in general.

this is kind of it for me too, i still love learning new things and studying but if i have to sit through one more zoom trivia game that lasts two and a half hours because one guy has to tell a joke after every question and two others have personal anecdotes that simply MUST be shared im going to lose my fuckin mind lol. i mean every niche community has its share of people that are just endless work to be around but trivia is so much lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spokes posted:

this is kind of it for me too, i still love learning new things and studying but if i have to sit through one more zoom trivia game that lasts two and a half hours because one guy has to tell a joke after every question and two others have personal anecdotes that simply MUST be shared im going to lose my fuckin mind lol. i mean every niche community has its share of people that are just endless work to be around but trivia is so much lmao

add me on discord fool, you're set to private.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guess a question then is where do quiz shows belong in the modern age? Trivia will always exist and proverbial oceans of knowledge are available at ones fingertips. The money is going to subscription services that don't rely on a linear schedule and cheaper programming exists in court and talk shows to say nothing of shows whose costs were paid off decades ago and exist to help pay newer debts like costs of IT infrastructure.

If CBS calls it a day on distribution, Sony likely moves it and Wheel to Netflix given their ties (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Seinfeld, US House of Cards) but loses its key advantage of being network filler.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm still watching every night I don't have to work. My schedule has revolved around 7:30 p.m. so long, I don't know anything else to do on weeknights.

This latest tournament isn't the most thrilling, but it's there. The clues aren't great, either, but I figure almost all of them are recycled from earlier material.

Wheel of Fortune had the better moment tonight. The contestant left out a "the" when solving the puzzle, which ended up costing her the bonus round as it was a prize puzzle.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I watch Jeopardy every night still. It's a ritual for dinner for my wife and me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I play a bunch of online leagues now, that generally have harder content than Jeopardy. I don't mind watching J! still, it's its own separate thing, but I don't do it because I think it's hard level trivia.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't watch it live because it comes on while I'm at work, otherwise I probably would every day even when it's bad, lol.

I'd love more trivia league kind of stuff but I already do LearnedLeague and the other ones Ive found seem to require a lot more real-world time commitment like spokes is talking about, which I'm not sure I could do regularly

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't watch it live because it comes on while I'm at work, otherwise I probably would every day even when it's bad, lol.

this very specific geographical thing where "if you're near the mississippi, jeopardy comes on during the workday" is so weird

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pinterest Mom posted:

this very specific geographical thing where "if you're near the mississippi, jeopardy comes on during the workday" is so weird

Heh, this is already out of date; just this week starting this past Monday, KWWL in eastern Iowa moved Jeopardy from 4 p.m. Central to 3:30 p.m. Gave my YouTube TV DVR fits for a day.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 20, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This EP of celeb jeopardy prompted me to check out Art Fleming era Jeopardy and drat, this version of the show seems better. I kind of like him way more than Trebek or Jennings as host. He talks way faster so it's easier for me to follow and the pacing of the short is snappier overall. The contestants also sit right next to each other, it's a lot cozier and exciting. I like how timeless a lot of the questions are mixed with 70s specific news and culture stuff I just wasn't exposed to.

I thought jeopardy was always the current way, didn't realize it just picked up major spelling bee de-energy over time. I don't dislike it, it's very familiar. But it's kind of like finding out there's a secret legacy banana you can never have that tastes like a fresh banana runt. Bananas are still good but in the back of my mind I'm gonna be trying to ignore the secret banana I crave.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm a huge proponent of the Fleming era letting the runners up keep the cash they've incurred. It substantively changed the strategy when the losers don't get the money in front of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I remember as a kid watching jeopardy being really sad people didn't get to keep the money unless they won, and even then it's sometimes its different than the amount we watched them win. I was relieved you didn't have to owe the show money for going negative.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I remember as a kid watching jeopardy being really sad people didn't get to keep the money unless they won, and even then it's sometimes its different than the amount we watched them win. I was relieved you didn't have to owe the show money for going negative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB5FfiUCls

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao that's perfect. What's he say at the very end, "she's not gonna get home first?"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Lmao that's perfect. What's he say at the very end, "she's not gonna get home first?"

"She ain't getting the home version".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
All Saints' Day CJ!

Dulé Hill
Sheryl Underwood
Peter Facinelli