Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I do see that you can swap them out, and I think long term I’ll do that

then the only thing about this board that won’t be perfect is that it doesn’t have a end key. it has a home key, but no end 😭:cry::qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
So write a custom keymap with an end key, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the poo poo QMK allows you to do

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yeah I do see that you can swap them out, and I think long term I’ll do that

then the only thing about this board that won’t be perfect is that it doesn’t have a end key. it has a home key, but no end 😭:cry::qq:

75%... ftl

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

💯

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

InternetOfTwinks posted:

So write a custom keymap with an end key, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the poo poo QMK allows you to do

there's nothing I that is acceptable to sacrifice though :( spose over time I'll just work out what I use more out of home and end and use whatever

currently trying to make the knob into a scroll wheel. that'd be badass imo

no you're ftl

:negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shoulda got 76% :cry:k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

that'd be badass imo

I did it

doesn't work that well on mac anyway, but mac scrolling can be defo fail if it's not the trackpad

lets see how it works on windows

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

currently trying to make the knob into a scroll wheel. that'd be badass imo

mine is volume control with click to mute, or if I hold fn then it’s track forward/back with click to play/pause

making it be a scroll wheel is just putting KC_WH_[UD] in the structure for the knob instead of VOL_* it has by default, I think

the qmk development setup is a little idiosyncratic but once you get it setup it’s nice to be able to pop open VSCode, tweak, compile, flash, and have the adjusted firmware on the keyboard all in under a minute

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

InternetOfTwinks posted:

actually!!! I can sacrifice the knob click. it's a bit awkward maybe, but I have a feeling the box came with a replacement end key, I couldn't work out why, but now I get it, replace the home key with end, make it end, make the know home and bada bing bada boom

(because there is no way I could tolerate a key doing something different than what it said lol)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

mine is volume control with click to mute, or if I hold fn then it’s track forward/back with click to play/pause

making it be a scroll wheel is just putting KC_WH_[UD] in the structure for the knob instead of VOL_* it has by default, I think

the qmk development setup is a little idiosyncratic but once you get it setup it’s nice to be able to pop open VSCode, tweak, compile, flash, and have the adjusted firmware on the keyboard all in under a minute

im using the VIA web app, the only thing is you can find the code but not copy it to clipboard to paste, gotta remember it

but didnt even think about using fn on it. thanks for the hot tip

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I set up key combos so a+d as a chord is home and a+f is end, so that I didn’t have to move my hands as much, but failing that I would probably move ins to fn+del and put home there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

im using the VIA web app

for now…

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I believe it's better than it used to be.. but anyway

until you mentioned it I didn't even think about using the second layer for anything useful

right now though I've just set it up, and it means I can get into cruise browse mode :grin: I love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh the web app is fine, just that eventually you want to do something a little more complicated and then whammo you’re installed avrdude and forking qmk_firmware

I have a layer that gets enabled by one of the extra/macro keys on the left, and it has numpad variants of the appropriate keys, plus macros for the different settings of my KVM. I think you could probably do that in the web app but you’d need to learn the QMK codes pretty well

next I want to do custom RGB animations, which I think is a deep rabbit hole of its own

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Add a mouse jiggler to your board with qmk.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
before I got my eye fixed I mapped my V1's knob to zoom in/out, pretty funny but I got rid of it and now I also need some way to get End/Home and ideally text select in between.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

there's nothing I that is acceptable to sacrifice though :( spose over time I'll just work out what I use more out of home and end and use whatever
insert is absolutely ok to sacrifice for End

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

evil_bunnY posted:

disagree. ctrl+ins / shift+ins is clutch if you use putty on windows.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Jonny 290 posted:

I used to do this but then I cut out the middle.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idgi

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i run linux, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh. Yeah i'm not rebooting into linux on my good machines just to restart chronyd or whatever

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jonny 290 posted:

So just set a Fn + (key) combo for one or both of those as 2nd layer keys in VIA. Boom, no more need for Insert by itself.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

oh absolutely agree, if only this keyboard had one to put upon the altar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just get a 100% you wierdos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kvantum posted:

So just set a Fn + (key) combo for one or both of those as 2nd layer keys in VIA. Boom, no more need for Insert by itself.

290's theorem: any time anybody provides a solution that starts with the word "just...", it is bad and wrong. +1 to that data bank.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

get a 100% you weirdos

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my 75% tkl and trackball are very ergonomic tyvm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

as an avowed mouse and kb weirdo, I–

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tkl is best

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moonlander arrived, this is going to take some getting used to

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

tkl is best

bad and wrong

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

tkl is best

Bold of you to post this on the ansi 104 page

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

290's theorem: any time anybody provides a solution that starts with the word "just...", it is bad and wrong. +1 to that data bank.

Shaggar posted:

just get a 100% you wierdos

Captain Foo posted:

get a 100% you weirdos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my code w/clears is extremely needs suiting, but there is something very aesthetically pleasing about a compact board

idk what to say, chicks dig it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
either way i am eternally pleased 290 said keychron because that board sounds like so good and the keycaps feel so amazing

it’s actually so impressive to me what you get for the money compared to years ago

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes I am seriously contemplating asking my keyboard out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're good boards

also 104's are good if you're a data entry clerk or smth, i wont fault any of yall that are defending them. gotta have the right tool for the job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ye at work I’d be lost without a numpad

well

I mean it would just be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted: