Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I think he used a galaxy fold so that's probably why a dip bricked it

Lmao owned.

That thing doesn’t have basic waterproofing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I didn't even know they still made phones that aren't waterproof in the year of our lord 2023.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No he left the phone soaking in the pants.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The galaxy fold is the one that could be destroyed by a grain of sand in the screen fold, right? Don't know how that could expect to be waterproof.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

"The Linus Effect" operating at full power, he's such a plonker. :rolleyes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i suspect he'd have been a bit more careful with his $1500 phone if it wasn't all pocket change to him

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rinkles posted:

i suspect he'd have been a bit more careful with his $1500 phone if it wasn't all pocket change to him

I'd guess it was given to him by Dbrand. It's where LTT get all their iphones for reviews, as Apple won't send them any.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus said later in the video that he traditionally just used whatever the last phone was given to him for review until he got a new one to review, but he's basically stopped doing phone reviews so this is his first time in years actually buying a new phone. (So he's having his audience pick a phone for him that he will use for a month and then post a review of instead of picking his own.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus said later in the video that he traditionally just used whatever the last phone was given to him for review until he got a new one to review

you... you can just keep them?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
There are serious journalism type reviewers who will either only buy items from retail to test, or if they get a review sample return it to the manufacturer. But those kids of folks seem to be few and far between. And the computer and electronics manufacturers know the devices and phones they give away to "review" will curry favor. Computer and phone manufacturers, somehow more corrupt than other consumer focused industries.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Different manufacturers have different terms too, Apple I believe always asks for devices back. Most other companies seem to not care though knowing it's probably beneficial to them if their product keeps showing up in a person's videos. Audio guy Crinacle has basically built a coffee shop and audio sampling place stocked with stuff he's been sent for review (apparently a pretty common business in Singapore). There's reviewers who sell review units they've gotten on Ebay, sometimes but not always for charity. I just remember Techmoan's line in his review video of the Sony Linkbuds where he said "Payment in product is still payment". Then there's videos where a person will keep saying a video isn't sponsored, show off thousands of dollars worth of product they've gotten for free and end on a custom discount code to buy that stuff, which is a sponsored video to me because you're ending on a call to action to buy the stuff you've been showing off.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The FTC is clear that receiving anything of value has to be disclosed. https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers And I think most competition and commerce regulators outside the US do too. Shame that there have been relatively few enforcement actions by the FTC besides big name celebs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the enforcement seems to be non-existent and everyone’s realised that. Unless you’re a huge channel you’re never going to get anything but comments you can complain about in future videos.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

you... you can just keep them?

That implicit assumption is where the thread title comes from.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol at 8bitguy wearing a Rick & Morty shirt in 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them. I wouldn't be surprised if 8bitguy was appealing to that crowd.

It increases the perceived improvement between the “before” and the “after”, which is more dramatic and impressive to an audience.

It makes the finished restoration/cleanup seem more complete at the end of a video. The discolored/stained/yellowed plastic looks “new” at the end of the video, regardless of how it may feel or eventually discolor again.

Sure there’s an “ASMR” or satisfaction/reward component there, akin to pimple popping or rug washing, etc, but mainly people just want to see dramatic changes and they like the narrative of “old thing got fixed up like new again” and they want to be impressed.

A repair or restoration that doesn’t look sufficiently challenging or extensive may not generate adequate hype/attention.

This is also why a lot of tool/bike/metal/etc restoration videos on YouTube use various tricks to make things look more weathered or more damaged than they really are and make repair jobs seem much bigger than what was actually done.

They’ll cover pieces in weathering/rust paint that buffs off, leave stuff in acid or saltwater baths to pick up surface corrosion that looks serious but also comes off with some mild abrasion or solvents, use multiple dummies (ie start with a piece that they can’t fix and cheekily swap in a ringer), etc.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus said later in the video that he traditionally just used whatever the last phone was given to him for review until he got a new one to review, but he's basically stopped doing phone reviews so this is his first time in years actually buying a new phone. (So he's having his audience pick a phone for him that he will use for a month and then post a review of instead of picking his own.)
If I remember right, he's been using the Fold 3 since it launched. He does "daily drive" whatever phone they hand him for a review for 3-4 weeks, but always had the Fold as well, seemingly until he "accidentally" fell into the pool with it of course.

njsykora posted:

Different manufacturers have different terms too, Apple I believe always asks for devices back. Most other companies seem to not care though knowing it's probably beneficial to them if their product keeps showing up in a person's videos. Audio guy Crinacle has basically built a coffee shop and audio sampling place stocked with stuff he's been sent for review (apparently a pretty common business in Singapore). There's reviewers who sell review units they've gotten on Ebay, sometimes but not always for charity. I just remember Techmoan's line in his review video of the Sony Linkbuds where he said "Payment in product is still payment". Then there's videos where a person will keep saying a video isn't sponsored, show off thousands of dollars worth of product they've gotten for free and end on a custom discount code to buy that stuff, which is a sponsored video to me because you're ending on a call to action to buy the stuff you've been showing off.
The other thing that happens is the reviewers get a pre-production or one out of the first run. They work, they are officially what the final product is and should work, but they are just this side of engineering samples.

There are the usual associated issues that can/will pop up with these. For motherboards it's the bios version, as they generally have very early ones. For video cards it is driver and in a few cases the firmware.

Of the reviewers that I still watch, a few have sold the stuff they get. Though it's been on the old-ish side, where there is no point in keeping it around for comparison. And cases, they can get so many cases, and they take so much room. If I remember right that was a big reason why Jay did his tent sale, so he can get rid of all the cases he had. Hasn't Steve even done a sale of some sort to clean out cases?

Selling the pre-production stuff though, again this is with the reviewers I watch still, they won't due to the issues that could pop up.

As to LTT and Apple, I don't think Apple will send them anything for review at all. After they said something Apple didn't like, they essentially blacklisted them. It had been the phones, tablets, and I believe the laptops they got from Dbrand, so as to shill their sticker during the review. The desktop systems and monitors they have actually bought.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Koskun posted:

The other thing that happens is the reviewers get a pre-production or one out of the first run. They work, they are officially what the final product is and should work, but they are just this side of engineering samples.

This happens in the handheld PC and emulator handheld part of Youtube all the time now and I hate it. If it's not the final product people are going to buy why are you reviewing the drat thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

This happens in the handheld PC and emulator handheld part of Youtube all the time now and I hate it. If it's not the final product people are going to buy why are you reviewing the drat thing.

Tbf some of them call it a first look vs a review.

I get your point though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is also why a lot of tool/bike/metal/etc restoration videos on YouTube use various tricks to make things look more weathered or more damaged than they really are and make repair jobs seem much bigger than what was actually done.

They’ll cover pieces in weathering/rust paint that buffs off, leave stuff in acid or saltwater baths to pick up surface corrosion that looks serious but also comes off with some mild abrasion or solvents, use multiple dummies (ie start with a piece that they can’t fix and cheekily swap in a ringer), etc.

absolutely. some of the stuff on these channels has this faux old, almost spray painted look, like it was a prop in a cheap syfy show.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

A repair or restoration that doesn’t look sufficiently challenging or extensive may not generate adequate hype/attention.

This has generated comedy in the opposite direction. One of the funniest dumbasses I've seen in a while was the youtube commenter who kept insisting that Hand Tool Rescue must be faking all the rust he was removing from some 100 year old antique tool he was restoring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

This has generated comedy in the opposite direction. One of the funniest dumbasses I've seen in a while was the youtube commenter who kept insisting that Hand Tool Rescue must be faking all the rust he was removing from some 100 year old antique tool he was restoring.

like any other skill-based content creation genre, there’s people trying to make a quick buck and there’s genuine artists

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

One of the latest Baumgartner videos gave me those vibes in the beginning. It was just so bad I wish it was fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-p8_O1Alhk

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

hitchens posted:

One of the latest Baumgartner videos gave me those vibes in the beginning. It was just so bad I wish it was fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-p8_O1Alhk

The person who hosed it up SIGNED it? :stare:

Love this channel I'll fall asleep to it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The fold has been IPX8 rated since the 3, so it ought to have been ok for half an hour of being submerged at that depth.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you fell into a pool with your clothes on I can't really see a scenario where it takes half an hour to empty the pockets and chuck them into a washing machine to give them a rinse but then again I am not Linus

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Did he finish setting up the pool party whilst soaking wet? Or did he attend soaking wet?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can’t it be both?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Linus was soaking wet else he wouldn't have been heavy enough to go on his own waterslide.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The “top drop” sports parody was genuinely funny and I hope it’s used a couple more times.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

man linus, what a jerk!

hey look at the funny thing that linus did haha

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Instead of talking about irrelevant YouTubers, let's talk about people who make tech stuff: TheRasteri has a look at a SEGA board, but not the kind you would expect it to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOt2WfEyJ1A

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I just want to say that the thread title makes me laugh every single time I log into SHSC

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN have an interesting angle on the Epic Games layoffs that has incurred The Wrath of Steve through the unforgivable act of buying his childhood mall, being dicks around the city in relation to it, demolishing it and now just leaving a patch of wasteland in the middle of the city that they paid $95m for intending it to be their new offices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87yzyfOfnY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GN also put this poll up and I had a good laugh at it

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
lol Linus' phone poll on Reddit has been hijacked, and it looks like he might end up with an LG Wing.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 7, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ultraklystron posted:

lol Linus' phone poll on Reddit has been hijacked, and it looks like might end up with LG Wing.

The main villain in Blue Beetle has an LG Wing at one point and I really had to commend the prop master both for remembering it existed and picking something flashy but pointless for her.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MarcusSA posted:

GN also put this poll up and I had a good laugh at it

nobody wants to AAA anymore

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was shocked listening to a podcast at the fact that Valhalla was the most successful game in the series so far. I was also shocked that they're selling Mirage for the price every microtransaction filled AAA game should still be, £45 since it's apparently intended as a smaller scale game. That's still apparently 20+ hours. I'm not buying it obviously because Spiderman and Mario are out in less than 2 weeks but I'll play it when it inevitably goes on all the subscription services in 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I was shocked listening to a podcast at the fact that Valhalla was the most successful game in the series so far. I was also shocked that they're selling Mirage for the price every microtransaction filled AAA game should still be, £45 since it's apparently intended as a smaller scale game. That's still apparently 20+ hours.

Mirage was supposed to be DLC for Valhalla lmao

Obviously not the full game as it is now but that’s how it started and why it’s such a smaller scale