Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my new modified car brains thought process is that if I'm driving in an area where there are pedestrians and cyclists then it's a strict adherence to the speed limit but as soon as I'm on any kind of express way it's all-out (otherwise you will get run off the road).
watching my brother drive the speed limit and turning everyone clinically psychotic was so much fun when he came to the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
people around me get mad if you're not doing 10 over the limit. you can't just be speeding, you have to be doing it legit.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, I do exactly the speed limit and stay in the right lane and it enrages people even if I’m not obstructing them in any way. Best part of driving.

Apr 7, 2003

A guy in a clapped out truck passed me on the right in a turning lane once on US 30 because I was doing the speed limit. There was no one in the left lane.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think about it in terms of percentages. ok 55 in a 50, that’s actually 10% over the speed limit. can do better

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
dont go exactly the speed limit. like dont do stuff to prove a point while driving, it's dangerous - people will do dangerous poo poo because they're dumb and once they get upset they stop thinking of hazards. there's a lot of mentally unwell and armed people on the road

just drive a safe speed for your car & drive to be away from other traffic

if you have to go slower or faster for a second, it's always safer and all around less stress inducing to stay away from other cars and then equalize your speed to them so they remain distant, if there's no way to keep a distance, then go the same speed so traffic's less likely to hit you

u get better gas mileage that way too

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

FirstnameLastname posted:

dont go exactly the speed limit. like dont do stuff to prove a point while driving, it's dangerous - people will do dangerous poo poo because they're dumb and once they get upset they stop thinking of hazards. there's a lot of mentally unwell and armed people on the road

if you have to go slower or faster for a second, it's always safer and all around less stress inducing to stay away from other cars and then equalize your speed to them so they remain distant, if there's no way to keep a distance, then go the same speed so traffic's less likely to hit you

"Just break the law bro, it's cool everybody does it."

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

"Just break the law bro, it's cool everybody does it."

u a cop? u gonna talk about jaywalking next?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

u a cop? u gonna talk about jaywalking next?

sure, I love talking about that! Jaywalking isn't a crime and the whole thing is a stupid propaganda campaign made up by car companies to claim roads for themselves.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

You should most definitely drive a safe speed.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Oct 5, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

sure, I love talking about that! Jaywalking isn't a crime and the whole thing is a stupid propaganda campaign made up by car companies to claim roads for themselves.

it is a crime though

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

You should most definitely drive a safe speed.

looks like the faster I go, less risk of serious injury :smuggo:

Apr 7, 2003

it is a crime though

not in Pennsylvania

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

okay well we don't all have landlord money to afford living somewhere fancy like pennsylvania

Apr 7, 2003

technically you can cross the street here anywhere you fuckin wanna, as long as you wait for traffic to clear

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Just to be clear, when you say "safer" here what you actually mean is "less likely to hurt the feelings of the Boomer in the F-350," and not "actually safer," right?

Apr 7, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

technically you can cross the street here anywhere you fuckin wanna, as long as you wait for traffic to clear

no u can't, not in cities

quote:

Between adjacent intersections in urban districts at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

Just to be clear, when you say "safer" here what you actually mean is "less likely to hurt the feelings of the Boomer in the F-350," and not "actually safer," right?

when do you think the boomers pull out their guns buddy

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

They changed the law in California to this after it turned out that jaywalking laws were basically only used to persecute minorities.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weembles posted:

They changed the law in California to this after it turned out that jaywalking laws were basically only used to persecute minorities.

The state senate made vague noises about doing this in Washington last session.

Apr 7, 2003

no u can't, not in cities

well that law loving sucks and I'm going to cross where I want anyway

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

well that law loving sucks and I'm going to cross where I want anyway

oh I agree... but officer harik is gonna arrest you

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

"I'm driving with the flow of traffic" is the excuse every driver uses to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit all the time. Maybe if people drove the speed limit instead of using that excuse, traffic would be 5-10 mph slower and much safer.

Gun murder is way too common in the US, but it's about half as common as car death. A few of those shootings are road rage related, but most of them aren't. Driving faster is more likely to kill you (or someone else) than someone flipping their lid because you were going the speed limit.

The most likely place for someone to get killed while driving is at an intersection where cars are traveling different directions, and in those types of collisions, less speed is undeniably less deadly. Of course, driving slower is always safer for people walking along or crossing the road.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

it is a crime though

It's imaginary crime used to harass minorities in some backwater shitholes, not a real crime that causes actual harm like operating heavy machinery at unsafe speeds which is illegal everywhere.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

It's imaginary crime used to harass minorities in some backwater shitholes, not a real crime that causes actual harm like operating heavy machinery at unsafe speeds which is illegal everywhere.

nice goal post shifting

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

oh I agree... but officer harik is gonna arrest you

gonna need to see if they're black first. can't enforce an anti-minority law on a white guy, duh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FlutieFlake posted:

"I'm driving with the flow of traffic" is the excuse every driver uses to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit all the time. Maybe if people drove the speed limit instead of using that excuse, traffic would be 5-10 mph slower and much safer.

Gun murder is way too common in the US, but it's about half as common as car death. A few of those shootings are road rage related, but most of them aren't. Driving faster is more likely to kill you (or someone else) than someone flipping their lid because you were going the speed limit.

The most likely place for someone to get killed while driving is at an intersection where cars are traveling different directions, and in those types of collisions, less speed is undeniably less deadly. Of course, driving slower is always safer for people walking along or crossing the road.

I drive with the flow of traffic to keep myself safe from road rage, just like I drive without my seat belt to keep myself safe from being trapped in the car if I'm in an accident.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ham Equity posted:

less likely to collide with

like the car doesn't care what point you're making or who upset who if they rear end you and gently caress your neck or back up forever, and there's a significant enough amount of people who will snap and pull a gun and shoot you on purpose to where its just not worth it. you have no idea who is in the car behind you

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

nice goal post shifting

sorry that i wasn't aware that some racist hellholes still had that specific anti-minority law on the books. I'm not well versed on "bigot".

Apr 7, 2003

like the car doesn't care what point you're making or who upset who if they rear end you and gently caress your neck or back up forever, and there's a significant enough amount of people who will snap and pull a gun and shoot you on purpose to where its just not worth it. you have no idea who is in the car behind you

"You should drive as fast as the guy behind you wants you to, or else they might rear end you" is an unwinnable game

I sincerely believe drivers would do 100mph on 55mph freeways if the flow of traffic let them do that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, just gotta keep that seat belt off, make sure I'm not trapped in the flaming car.

That's definitely way more likely than getting pancaked in a rollover accident, for sure.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
if the speed limit is only 55mph it doesn't count as a freeway imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anybody who has even gone 1mph over the speed limit should be trussed like a thanksgiving turkey and rolled down the side of a mountain

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Anybody who has even gone 1mph over the speed limit should be trussed like a thanksgiving turkey and rolled down the side of a mountain

rules are rules....

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
speed limits are only used by cops to pull over minority drivers though, they should be abolished

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

speed limits are only used by cops to pull over minority drivers though, they should be abolished

They should be, but first we need to abolish roads where it's possible to go over 30.

mystes
May 31, 2006

we need speed governor so nobody can speed and then the police won't be able to pull anyone over for speeding

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cops would have to speed to catch up to a speeder.

Verdict: guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
i looked it up, and only DC, New Mexico and South Carolina have what we'd consider "jaywalking" laws, where pedestrians are confined to specific marked areas and is a crime to leave those.

Everywhere else has a fairly uniform code of "It's legal to cross roads as long as you don't jump out in front of a car"

Another common provision is "if you're next to a crosswalk loving use it instead of crossing wherever", but it's still the driver's responsibility to stop for you.

Texas owns for drivers though:

"When traffic signal is not in place, vehicles must yield to pedestrian in crosswalk on vehicle’s half of road or close to it. Pedestrians must not step off curb and into path of vehicle when vehicle does not have time to stop. If vehicle violates this statute and hits a blind or disabled person, they must pay a $500 fine and perform 30 hours of community service for a charity that serves blind or disabled people."