Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It was also a Democratic counter to the Republicans trying to increase funding for border security

What a terrible snipe

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
What is military aid to ukraine but funding border security.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xakura posted:

What is military aid to ukraine but funding border security.

Did it specify whose borders?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1708387414811500710

quote:

Russian officer escaped to the Ukrainian side with 11 of his fellow servicemen, GUR reports.

Russian lieutenant Daniil Alfyorov "actively cooperated with the Ukrainian GUR and Defence forces since June 2023". He convinced 11 of his comrades to surrender into Ukrainian captivity from the Russian army, where their lives were under great danger of torture and being sent into meat assaults.

"When there was a threat to Alfiorov's life, Ukraine carried out a special operation for his controlled withdrawal to Ukrainian territory," said Andriy Yusov, a representative of the State Department of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, during a press conference.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

So the dude was spying on Russia for Ukraine and they extracted him when the threat got too high? Interesting.

Perhaps this was a psy-op posting instead, trying to make higher echelon Russian leadership nervous about potential spies in their ranks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That, and showing that Ukraine takes care of their assets, going through great lengths to extract people working for them. Examples like these affect the calculus of other potential assets.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

spankmeister posted:

That, and showing that Ukraine takes care of their assets, going through great lengths to extract people working for them. Examples like these affect the calculus of other potential assets.

I think this is a large part of it. Same with the helo pilot a few weeks back - they made a point of announcing that they had ensured the safety of his family too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1709506576472486356

quote:

#Ukraine has developed an invisibility cloak for its military, Digital Minister Mykhailo #Fedorov reports.

This cloak is designed to block heat emissions, rendering soldiers invisible to enemy thermal imagers and drones equipped with thermal cameras.

So how big of a deal is this? Obviously the functionality is a big deal, but how much does it take to hide a soldier from thermal imagers/cameras? Would a really thick coat do it? Or does it actually take some special materials, especially if you want it to be something that isn't A) super visible to the naked eye and B) something you can also move in during tough situations? I guess what I'm asking is how much of this is hype vs how much of this is actually a cool new invention?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1709506576472486356

So how big of a deal is this? Obviously the functionality is a big deal, but how much does it take to hide a soldier from thermal imagers/cameras? Would a really thick coat do it? Or does it actually take some special materials, especially if you want it to be something that isn't A) super visible to the naked eye and B) something you can also move in during tough situations? I guess what I'm asking is how much of this is hype vs how much of this is actually a cool new invention?

The cloak would be new, an older method was using hot smoke (aka smoke with hot oil mixed in somehow) to obscure thermal imaging. It didn’t necessarily hide you, but it just put out so many heat sources that it was supposed to be hard to ID humans on the other side of it.

If there’s a heat source (like a body or an engine), sooner or later that heat has to radiate somewhere. Even if you’re blocking it with something, whatever you’re using to block it will read a little warmer than the other things around it at ambient temp, and thermal imagers can be made ridiculously sensitive. Insulators can buy you some time, and I think I remember a story from early on about the Ukrainians using spray-painted yoga mats as thermal camouflage?

Lol maybe they repurposed a survival blanket for someone that’s in hypothermia.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You're probably not going to be able to hide your entire army from thermals, but supposing this is a new or improved capability compared to what they had before, and not just a domestic version of what they've already been provided, it could give infantry infiltrations through the fortified lines at night a better chance of success.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the only way something like this can work is if the heat is being pumped to a radiator or heat sink outside FOV. if that sounds heavy and probably impractical, well, it is.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently the cloak was invented by a retired materials scientist who lived in Bucha. He went back to work to design things for the war effort after he saw what the Russians did to his town.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only way something like this can work is if the heat is being pumped to a radiator or heat sink outside FOV. if that sounds heavy and probably impractical, well, it is.

You're overthinking it, the point is to avoid hotspots. As long as you spread the heat out over a larger area, you are more difficult to detect.

Its not like this is untread ground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-spectral_camouflage

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Wow, that's really good, I can't see the fourth guy in that video at all.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They're not trying to hide a sci-fi spaceship against future tech, they're sneaking a few troops past some tired guys in an old BMP or trying to look less interesting to a drone as compared to some feint elsewhere.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Way back when I was tank crew we learned that the ground pad that was part of every soldier's standard kit worked really, really well for hiding body heat from FLIR. Obviously this only works when you're not only stationary but also know from which direction you want to stay hidden so not great for drones and such, but for making it way harder for a platoon of big noisy tanks over yonder to spot your position it can be very effective. A warm coat works to some degree but not super great, where the fabric stretches over joints (shoulders/elbows etc) enough heat leaks out to show up really well and the human brain is fantastic at finding patterns that look somewhat like people. Hiding faces with normal cold weather gear is tough, obviously. There's also the general problem that any garment that significantly limits your personal IR emissions is necessarily going to be very warm which isn't always ideal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Hiding your IR emissions" and "keeping you warm" are literally, literally the same thing. No surprise that a ground pad engineered to stop your heat leaking into the ground was very effective at it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

The Lone Badger posted:

"Hiding your IR emissions" and "keeping you warm" are literally, literally the same thing. No surprise that a ground pad engineered to stop your heat leaking into the ground was very effective at it.

Which is why polar bears don't show up on thermals!

Also, camo like this is already widely in use, and effective, on vehicles. Saab Barracuda is one example.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I figured the exciting development would be: something that didn't hinder mobility, something that wasn't super obvious to, say, just a plain glance, and I was wondering if it was something everyone else already had tons of or if this represented an actual advance.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We're a while away from the Northern Secessionist forces coming over the hill in thermoptic camo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

For Foot Mobiles, Camo cloaks have been on the market for at least 5-10 years, with advancements in material and portability. poo poo, even a wool blanket can disperse enough on a person to hide them from many thermals. I follow a lot of military/war adjacent IG, and an active Marine did field testing of various means of hiding from thermals, particularly those on drones, and found that it's a problem is easy to beat with lo tech solutions on small scale and static positions. There are a few companies making specific products, but field solutions include a thermal blanket with a cloth cover with some slight standoff from the heat source. It works for a bit, but the contact points help transpose the heat to the cover.

Vehicles is a different beast, but similar solutions help, I would imagine.

E- his testing was unscientific and the participants weren't told, so he was using the normal field craft of his unit to evaluate in a natural situation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The optics on your commercially sourced/Iranian/domestic Russian produced drones will be useful, but they won't be as good as the optics on their tanks, and definitely not as good as what's on the multi million dollar western recon drones. Thermal camouflage solutions that wouldn't work against our hardware might be serviceable against what the Ukrainians are facing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The thermals I used at war were updated Gulf War models. I imagine what we got now is like comparing a Gutenburg Press to a Laser Printer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
When we got thermals in the Gulf War, it was an absolute game changer for us forward reconnaissance.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

The thermals I used at war were updated Gulf War models. I imagine what we got now is like comparing a Gutenburg Press to a Laser Printer.

The last new ones I heard about overlaid thermal on top of the normal green night vision, for mass-issue to soldiers. Last I had was a PVS-14.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PSQ-20#:~:text=The%20AN%2FPSQ%2D20%20Enhanced,conditions%20with%20very%20little%20light.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

The last new ones I heard about overlaid thermal on top of the normal green night vision, for mass-issue to soldiers. Last I had was a PVS-14.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PSQ-20#:~:text=The%20AN%2FPSQ%2D20%20Enhanced,conditions%20with%20very%20little%20light.

We started getting those on my last deployment more than a decade ago.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When we got thermals in the Gulf War, it was an absolute game changer for us forward reconnaissance.

I'd love to hear more about this, the non-OPSEC-y parts anyway

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't think we need to worry about OPSEC for the Gulf War any more, just whether or not certain actions are still classified.

AllenFarnsworthIV
Apr 12, 2021

Icon Of Sin posted:

I got the first generation ones with back in 2011. They were heavy as gently caress, took 4 AA batteries, the thermal was cool but drains your batteries within 15-30 minutes. And we were using the lithium AA with it.

The newest ones are lighter and aren't shaped like a brick which is nice.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't been on the line for a few years, but yeah the newest stuff are so much more compact than the ones I had during my first deployment. Hell, the 20's (night vision with thermal) are better than the thermals I had for my first deployment and a quarter of it's size.

AllenFarnsworthIV fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I saw video of some night vision goggles that did some software wizardry to draw lines on the edges of anything that moved. That would be crazy to use, it was like watching a video game interface with objects just drawn for you.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

bird food bathtub posted:

I saw video of some night vision goggles that did some software wizardry to draw lines on the edges of anything that moved. That would be crazy to use, it was like watching a video game interface with objects just drawn for you.

I think that's what's being talked about. aiui it outlines thermally distinct objects, so the computer vision stuff isn't nearly as crazy as it would be for general spectrum "spot the person"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's just doing edge detection but it's very effective and makes everything look like a cyberpunk videogame

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

tiaz posted:

I think that's what's being talked about. aiui it outlines thermally distinct objects, so the computer vision stuff isn't nearly as crazy as it would be for general spectrum "spot the person"

Yep. Looking through an AN/PSQ-20 in the pitch black and seeing perfectly visible thermally outlined people way the gently caress off out in the treeline was some surreal poo poo, my caveman brain froze up for a minute at the space magic bullshit of it all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yep. Looking through an AN/PSQ-20 in the pitch black and seeing perfectly visible thermally outlined people way the gently caress off out in the treeline was some surreal poo poo, my caveman brain froze up for a minute at the space magic bullshit of it all.

*me in basic remembering what my Pathfinder DS told me every time I tried new nvg*
"Holy poo poo we really do own the night"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

*me in basic remembering what my Pathfinder DS told me every time I tried new nvg*
"Holy poo poo we really do own the night"

Two seconds before you tripped over your dick in the forest, yeah? :v:

Night ops is not trivial even with good equipment. It takes a ton of training and experience.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

A.o.D. posted:

I don't think we need to worry about OPSEC for the Gulf War any more, just whether or not certain actions are still classified.

I'm not worried about Desert Storm-era NVG specs, just the usual caution around tactics or specifics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wibla posted:

Two seconds before you tripped over your dick in the forest, yeah? :v:

Night ops is not trivial even with good equipment. It takes a ton of training and experience.

Thermals don't make it easy to perform night operations, but they do make it very difficult for anyone to perform night operations on you.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

The Lone Badger posted:

Thermals don't make it easy to perform night operations, but they do make it very difficult for anyone to perform night operations on you.

My wife refuses to gently caress me in my long johns, that checks out.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Pretty sure that's the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS). It basically combined IR, night vision, and augmented reality into one package with the ability to stream UAV feeds and potential to tie in weapon optics. Pretty crazy stuff. The new helmet, Improved Head Protection System, comes with rails purpose built for mounting the system so I think the Army is thinking it's gonna go into full production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My wife refuses to gently caress me in my long johns, that checks out.

You post in GiP and want her to wear your underwear, of course she is weirded out by it