Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol

wccftech moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Guess I'll just not constantly run benchmarks on my pixel 8 so I can avoid the overheating issue entirely

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Puddin posted:

Wow, AUD pricing has the 8 at $1199 and pro at $1699. With google credit as a bonus, no buds or watch.

Guess I am looking elsewhere now.

Woof yeah guess I'll stick with the 6a

Speaking of, 14 update is available to it

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Does anyone know when the offer on the watch/headphones end or is it a permanent offer?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

teethgrinder posted:

"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol

Wow, pushing the hardware at its limits for prolonged periods causes heat issues on a completely passively cooled handheld device? That's crazy talk.

*stares in enterprise-class server hardware*

Fake edit: Verizon P6P downloading 14 update now

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Does anyone know when the offer on the watch/headphones end or is it a permanent offer?

tbh, if i were going to upgrade, i would much rather just walk into a best buy the day of/after release and buy an unlocked phone if the watch offer is still on the table. i feel like there's a chance it might work that way anyway and they're saying "preorder only" right now just to get those initial sales numbers juiced up. i could be very wrong though and just wishful thinking.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

on the UK store the offer is only running until the 16th

check the smallprint at the bottom of the store frontpage in your region

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Is there a way to get my Pixel to stop only offering me a wipe & downgrade to Android 13 from the last months 14 beta?

Shouldn't it just be offering the 14 final? I have no option to refresh or re-check for updates, just download 13 and wipe.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've been rocking my 4xl for four years now and looks like the 8 pro may be a decent update. I've been concerned about the lack of security updates now that it's out of support and was keeping an eye out for the launch. Looks like the only thing I'd be losing with the 8 pro is low light face unlock (and soli, which I never use.) All the reviews seem fairly decent; has there been a glaring reason found that I've missed not to drop $$ on this phone for the upgrade?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

We won't know anything about battery until things get into user hands (and even then outliers are going to be the most vocal so heaps of salt.)

But the SoC is more efficient (both in process node and ARM Cortex models) and the displays should be more efficient (especially the Pro's LTPO.)

Any particular reason you think the regular 8's display will be more efficient?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular reason you think the regular 8's display will be more efficient?

The substantial brightness increase and symmetical minimal bezels seem to indicate they have moved to a newer panel.

There's also the variable refresh rate. It's not LTPO, but being able to go down to 60hz instead of being stuck at 90hz all the time should help even if the peak is higher.

The Pixel 8 is strange this year, in a lot of ways it does seem like its striving for more premium look and feel than the Pixel 7 did in comparison to the 7 Pro. However, Google is feature segmenting them far more with the 8 series.

As an aside, all the spec sheets today seem to indicate that both phones do indeed have the Immortalis variant of the G715 GPU, shooting down another pre-release negative rumor. Pretty much the only "negative" rumor has been the retention of the optical fingerprint sensor, but lvl 3 biometric face unlock should placate that.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

owls or something posted:

Is there a way to get my Pixel to stop only offering me a wipe & downgrade to Android 13 from the last months 14 beta?

Shouldn't it just be offering the 14 final? I have no option to refresh or re-check for updates, just download 13 and wipe.

Last months beta was for the Android 14 December feature drop release, it's too late to opt out if you've already applied that update.

tl;dr You're stuck until December.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok, would anyone like any context for the WCCF stuff?

So, for the Pixel 8 Pro they had

Best Score: 8572
Worst Score: 5028
Stability 58.7
Battery: 78% to 68%
Temp: 33C to 46C
FPS: 21 FPS to 64 FPS

I just ran the same test on my S23U

Best Score: 11138
Worst Score: 6433
Stability: 57.8%
Battery: 76% to 67%
Temp: 34C to 42C
FPS: 28fps to 82fps

So yes, the S23U outperforms it. But it also had a pretty pretty drat steep drop off in performance after about 10 loops of the test and the min frames aren't that different from the P8P. The performance stability is actually worse than the Pixel 8 Pro (marginally).

Even more context, how does the Pixel 7 Pro compare?

Best Score: 6661
Worst Score: 3998
Stability: 60%
Battery: 67% to 59%
Temp: 30c to 42c
FPS: 14 FPS to 47 FPS

So, a few take aways. The P8P is obviously a lot better performing than the P7P and I suspect it's doing it with a lot lower clock speeds based on other benchmark leaks. It actually had the highest score stability! Interestingly enough, the temps between all 3 phones are roughly the same and the P7P did the BEST at the power consumption during the test. There's all kinds of stuff we can't control for here though like ambient temp. I just find it interesting wth a GPU heavy test, the Pixel 7 Pro beats the S23U (at a substantial performance penalty.)

The Pixel 8 performing worse than the Pixel 8 Pro is a "no poo poo" moment. The S23 under performs the S23U too.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 4, 2023

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

gently caress me that's dirty of them

a beta cycle within a beta?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Is any of the Ultra HDR stuff in Android 14 yet? The camera app UI looks a bit different but I don't see any HDR image related settings.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my OnePlus wireless charger finally. I'm guessing that since it was 50% off, 12 again won't have wireless. But it should keep my 9 going for some time and I look forward to not waking up with 1% battery because my damaged USB-C port has ejected the cable again.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

All the P8Ps have the same radios, right? Just wondering if there was an advantage to getting an unlocked unit over the Verizon specific unit. Thinking about upgrading my 5, but everyone having different deals doesn't make it an easy choice.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Mr Mobile interview w/ Rick Osterloh YT premiere just dropped out of nowhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTqGI4g6-Y

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mike Fisher really tried, but there was a ton of non-answers and dancing around questions there (mostly the stuff he admitted in the postscript.) Probably the most significant thing was admitting that the Pixel Watch was in development before the Fitbit acquisition.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

More than happy with my Watch 5 Pro but lol I'd be ecstatic with a throwback to the Pebble Time. That's all I needed, and loved it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's Fossil Hybrid watches that use eink behind physical hands that are pretty much that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like the new Android 14 lock screen styles. The vertical info theme on the AOD looks very sharp. Also, is predictive back still something that needs to be enabled in developer options? I thought that was going to be a system wide thing on the public version but I haven't noticed it in action.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like the new Android 14 lock screen styles. The vertical info theme on the AOD looks very sharp. Also, is predictive back still something that needs to be enabled in developer options? I thought that was going to be a system wide thing on the public version but I haven't noticed it in action.

What's this?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

incogneato posted:

What's this?

If you go into Wallpaper & Style menu, then choose the Lock Screen button near the top, you can swipe on the image of the lock screen to change styles. There's one with the date/time aligned vertically on the sides. I think it looks neat.

Edit: looks like

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 5, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

If you go into Wallpaper & Style menu, then choose the Lock Screen button near the top, you can swipe on the image of the lock screen to change styles. There's one with the date/time aligned vertically on the sides. I think it looks neat.

Ah, I didn't see it because I had the setting for never allowing the big ("two line") clock. Turning that off revealed the vertical option. Nice, thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I've been using that one since I hopped on the beta.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I like it but the font is super thin when the AOD is on, makes glancing at it way harder

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I've been using that one since I hopped on the beta.

It looks really nice! Also we're having lovely weather in Michigan for October as you can see. Which will be ending in the next day or two. Bummer.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ugh, this doesn't work if you have a persistent notification that makes the clock small. Whomp whomp

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alarbus posted:

Ugh, this doesn't work if you have a persistent notification that makes the clock small. Whomp whomp

Is my clock small or your clock small? I only ask because Wavelet is always in my notifications but it doesn't show on the lockscreen.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Is my clock small or your clock small? I only ask because Wavelet is always in my notifications but it doesn't show on the lockscreen.

I set the clock style to what you have, but as soon as I lock it, the Follow notification forces it to be small. I could hide notifications from the lock screen, but then I'd have to unlock it to see what else is there.

(Also, going to have Follow forever, kiddo is T1D, and that lets me see the sugar from his sensor)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alarbus posted:

(Also, going to have Follow forever, kiddo is T1D, and that lets me see the sugar from his sensor)

Ah, I got you. I have my phone set to hide silent notifications, but in your case, it's probably a notification that's good to have front and center.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Predictive back does indeed need enabled in developer options!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Pixel 6 Pro is just stuck at "installing" on the update. Internet is no help here, so I guess I just wait until it works or my 8 arrives.

Really looking forward to hundreds of shipment notification posts followed by 3 pages of battery life anecdotes. It's what we do!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Phone is crawling along with the Android 14 update.
Can I finally rotate the "always on" clock?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I thought the Pixel 5 was done getting updates, but it looks like we still get Android 14
So now the question is if we'll get fixes for whatever they broke with Android 14 :shrug:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My phone rebooted itself at 3am, shining a bright light into my eyes (I was already awake). I assumed it was 14 (P7P), but no? Also slamming the button doesn't force it down. Strange.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you on T-Mobile or Fi? Once again there's a T-Mobile holdup.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are black Friday deals going to be better again? Just not seeing any major benefits from moving up from my Pixel 6 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has T-Mobile said why they keep doing this?