Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I like this a lot, I'd be very pleased if my players showed this kind of innovation

They're really into having codes. They once worked up hand signals to use in a dungeon, described them and everything. Then we get to the dungeon, and they're all "what was our signal for advance again? Oh whatever, Swolgar gives the signal to advance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

PeterWeller posted:

They're really into having codes. They once worked up hand signals to use in a dungeon, described them and everything. Then we get to the dungeon, and they're all "what was our signal for advance again? Oh whatever, Swolgar gives the signal to advance."

"Let's run a play... COMPUTER BLUE"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PeterWeller posted:

Power word: Go Forward

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Got my Planescape.

Here are the ToC for the Sigil Book and Bestiary, along with some cool art.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Great, thank you. Not quite Diterlizzi but it's nice to see art that kind of feels like his baroque style.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It looks very close to 1-for-1 update of the 2e PS boxed set in terms of content, which is both good but also kind of underwhelming

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

whydirt posted:

It looks very close to 1-for-1 update of the 2e PS boxed set in terms of content, which is both good but also kind of underwhelming

It covers more for the most part, and in a easier to read way cause it's not written in the Cant, and tends to get to it's point faster.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Also this episode of the Real Ghostbusters happens in the Adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Nh3IaybIM

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Hi folks!

Coworkers want to dip their toes into D&D, making their own characters and everything.

I have a one shot adventure in mind with crypts and zombies for Halloween but can someone get me up to speed regarding the changes to character creation, particularly species, in regard to Tasha's etc?

I know it might seem like a bit much but I wanna make sure that I'm playing D&D 5e with all the current rules patches.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Terratina posted:

Hi folks!

Coworkers want to dip their toes into D&D, making their own characters and everything.

I have a one shot adventure in mind with crypts and zombies for Halloween but can someone get me up to speed regarding the changes to character creation, particularly species, in regard to Tasha's etc?

I know it might seem like a bit much but I wanna make sure that I'm playing D&D 5e with all the current rules patches.

tl;dr: instead of taking the species ability score increases as described (for example: Hill Dwarves getting +2 Con/+1 Wis) you can now choose any combination of stat boosts for any race/species as long as it fits the same metric of "one +2, one +1, can't be the same stat".

If you do this, you replace whatever ability score increase you would get from the race you picked with the stats you chose (so no double dipping) but still get all the other racial kickers like weapon training, skill profs, spellcasting, etc.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 4, 2023

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yusin posted:

It covers more for the most part, and in a easier to read way cause it's not written in the Cant, and tends to get to it's point faster.

written in Can

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Monathin posted:

tl;dr: instead of taking the species ability score increases as described (for example: Hill Dwarves getting +2 Con/+1 Wis) you can now choose any combination of stat boosts for any race/species as long as it fits the same metric of "one +2, one +1, can't be the same stat".

If you do this, you replace whatever ability score increase you would get from the race you picked with the stats you chose (so no double dipping) but still get all the other racial kickers like weapon training, skill profs, spellcasting, etc.

Thanks! If it's one thing that's a pain the rear end it's getting back into the game post Tasha's and the hotfixes. The changes aren't as extreme as I last recalled, but having to flip through books for the "actual" rules isn't fun.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Terratina posted:

Thanks! If it's one thing that's a pain the rear end it's getting back into the game post Tasha's and the hotfixes. The changes aren't as extreme as I last recalled, but having to flip through books for the "actual" rules isn't fun.

Everything in Tasha's is optional

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

change my name posted:

Everything in Tasha's is optional

You say this but imo if you don't allow choice of stat bonuses you're a cop

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Lobe posted:

You say this but imo if you don't allow choice of stat bonuses you're a cop

Oh I totally agree, as well as enabling the optional class features and expanded spell lists. (Though, even though I've made custom origin characters before, I think if too many people play them instead of races with distinct features it makes them feel like flavorless mush)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

there's too much poo poo in all the expansions so we just play base 5e using the original 3 books. maybe at some point ill get around to reading the others on 5e tools and decide which are worth it

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

there's too much poo poo in all the expansions so we just play base 5e using the original 3 books. maybe at some point ill get around to reading the others on 5e tools and decide which are worth it

Volo's Guide to Monsters and Xanathar's Guide to Everything are worthy supplement additions, in my opinion. The campaign settings are generally worth including if that's the world that you're in. Everything else seems a bit hit or miss, to my mind.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Xanathars is definitely my favorite 5e book. I love the character generator where you can roll a bunch of things for your characters background. Also has a good list of RPG names for each ancestry in the back.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm only allowing core rulebooks, Tasha's, Xanathar's, and SCAG character stuff. I'll pull monsters from the other books but like, Strixhaven and Wildemount stuff can gently caress right off for my campaign's

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

PHB does all of the heavy lifting for players but TCE is an all around improvement. It should be considered a required correction to a lot of the PHB.
Volo's is just ~15 pages of new species options and then a whole lot of lore that most people can skip. There is no reason to skip said ~15 pages of content unless you want to ban non-PHB races outright.
Xanathar's has Chapter 1 and 3 that are 100% bonus content for players that is all above board. Some of this was also folded directly into TCE. The only reason to skip this content is if you want to limit player breadth.

Van Richtens, SCAG, and Ravnica all have good player content that you can skip as desired. Strixhaven, Fizzbans, and every module in the last 3 years is unbalanced and should be skipped. I think that Grimhollow and Taldorei Reborn have good class options that deserve a good review despite not being balanced across the board.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Monsters of the Multiverse is helpful for getting all the Species options all in one place. But it's for sure more a DM book.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
The Haunted One background came with Curse of Strahd right? That and Tomb of Annihilation’s archaeologist and anthropologist backgrounds are basically the only good module-added player options I can think of right now for general DnD adventures. Witchlight’s backgrounds are good if you’re running that module specifically

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yusin posted:

Monsters of the Multiverse is helpful for getting all the Species options all in one place. But it's for sure more a DM book.

Monsters of the Multiverse is an essential buy if you run games in Roll20 as it means you don't have to copy tokens and stat blocks from anywhere.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tasha's is pretty much putting in writing what alot of GMs had hand waved or house ruled before.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
if you are looking for monster, I reccomend taking a look at the MCDM Flee mortals book.

There is some real cool poo poo in there for more interesting enemies to run as a GM.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Tasha's is pretty much putting in writing what alot of GMs had hand waved or house ruled before.

It definitely feels like playing with someone else's house rules. Some people like Tasha's, but in general I've found that it introduces more conflicts than it resolves. A lot of conversations about it tend to feature people picking and choosing from what they like and what they don't about the book. Personally I'd rather opt-in to those sorts of house rules, rather than introducing the whole book and then needing to opt-out of things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean opting in and out of rules is like(at least until 5e(2024) comes out the only way you can get feats.

As Feats are technically a variant rule that your GM has to allow. Ditto with Multiclassing, Just like the Tasha's stuff.

5e is like completely built around your GM/DM picking and choosing what they like or don't like from any of the offerings in any of the books.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 4, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't think of anything that controversial in Tasha's. Looking at the table of contents, I know some people were mad about the ability score stuff but that's a losing battle. There's like one page of things that are barely rules that are just about how you might accommodate someone that wants to change a skill proficiency or subclass. Then its just artificer, all the new subclasses, the patches for the PHB classes which are optional but like, you're kind of an rear end in a top hat if you force someone to play PHB ranger, then the last chunk of the book is DM material.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I can't think of anything that controversial in Tasha's. Looking at the table of contents, I know some people were mad about the ability score stuff but that's a losing battle. There's like one page of things that are barely rules that are just about how you might accommodate someone that wants to change a skill proficiency or subclass. Then its just artificer, all the new subclasses, the patches for the PHB classes which are optional but like, you're kind of an rear end in a top hat if you force someone to play PHB ranger, then the last chunk of the book is DM material.

Yep, I cannot imagine being mad that players have more options available to them now(I mean the only option really is still variant Human but lol) as far as picking a race/species/ancestry, where you can play a half-orc wizard without gimping your progression by 4 levels.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dexo posted:

if you are looking for monster, I reccomend taking a look at the MCDM Flee mortals book.

There is some real cool poo poo in there for more interesting enemies to run as a GM.

Is there any way of getting a dead tree copy in the UK without ludicrous shipping costs?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Is there any way of getting a dead tree copy in the UK without ludicrous shipping costs?

I do not know, I backed it on kickstarter back when I was running more 5e, and just got the book yesterday. After getting the PDF some time ago.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

iirc the only thing in Tasha's that's actually "this should not be at the table" is Peace Cleric and everything else is above board.

Also agreed, allow Tashas if only so the person playing Ranger gets a functional class. PHB 202X is just making 90% of the Tasha Ranger stuff core anyway.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to my HitPoint Press* Heckna Box Set to come in :sun: . I'm flipping through my digital copy of the book now and this is gonna be awesome for a Halloween one shot, that maybe will tie in to my next campaign after my group finishes Humblewood

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 5, 2023

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Mederlock posted:

I'm really looking forward to my Deck of Many Things Heckna Box Set to come in :sun: . I'm flipping through my digital copy of the book now and this is gonna be awesome for a Halloween one shot, that maybe will tie in to my next campaign after my group finishes Humblewood

You got it already? The Deck and Book's early access stars at the end of October. I know some people get the physical version and such earlier than that, but still unexpected.

Edit: I am stupid you are talking about something different from the upcoming Deck of Many Things release.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yusin posted:

You got it already? The Deck and Book's early access stars at the end of October. I know some people get the physical version and such earlier than that, but still unexpected.

Edit: I am stupid you are talking about something different from the upcoming Deck of Many Things release.

Oh I'm dumb, sorry it's a different publisher

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's a good program for making basic dungeon maps? Like just walls, doors and numbers on gridlines

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

NotNut posted:

What's a good program for making basic dungeon maps? Like just walls, doors and numbers on gridlines

This program seems basic but cool

https://www.dungeonscrawl.com/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NotNut posted:

Clip Studio Paint. I'm serious.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, PHB + Tasha's fixes and folks can place their attribute bonuses wherever they want, have a 18 str goblin idc.

I'm not a cop, but I also want char gen to not suck for the newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yusin posted:

Would you say there's enough new stuff in it that it's worth getting if I've still got the old Planescape box set?