Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are IBM badges worth a drat? Not the credentials. : https://www.ibm.com/training/credentials/

Somebody just gave me a hard sell on them for a consultancy they are starting and I'm not sure if it's actually worthwhile

E: nevermind, it's because they were actually a reseller for IBM and didn’t state so outright. Disregard. Although I guess the Kubernetes badge would be neat

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know if anything changed in the last decade but from my experience IBM Exams have been an absolute shitshow of questions written in broken English only to ask dumb route memorization like "What's the maximum amount of Logical Partitions you can in a IBM Power 8 Model WhateverTheFuck. :downs:".

But I worked for an IBM Partner and had to get certified. :smith:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How's the experience learning microsoft certifications vs comptia ones? I've been trying to study to get a net+ but it's been such a challenge and I'm thinking of shifting over to azure instead.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I just did a bunch of Dell and Lenovo certs as part of onboarding to this contracting job i just got, just internal certifications like how their BIOS and system recovery tools work, best practices for disassembly, etc. Is that stuff worth putting on a resume? The names of most of the courses were fairly gobbeldygook, but there's a few that are decent like "Lenovo Service Technician Best Practices" or "Dell Client Advanced 2022."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Organic Lube User posted:

I just did a bunch of Dell and Lenovo certs as part of onboarding to this contracting job i just got, just internal certifications like how their BIOS and system recovery tools work, best practices for disassembly, etc. Is that stuff worth putting on a resume? The names of most of the courses were fairly gobbeldygook, but there's a few that are decent like "Lenovo Service Technician Best Practices" or "Dell Client Advanced 2022."

Do it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I just passed the azure DP-203. It was a bit challenging, but not as hard as the as some other 200 level exams. The open book was both a blessing and a curse. I was able to nab a few answers that I wasn't 100% on because of that, but I also burned time on things just verifying when I probably didn't need to. I passed with an 880, but expected to squeak by.

My next target is the databricks data engineer associate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just squeaked by the AZ-305 by exactly nailing the passing score of 700 :stare:

I don’t know if I need a lottery ticket or a drink.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kazinsal posted:

Powerball jackpot is currently $1.2bn, so it's not the worst day to buy a lottery ticket.

Also, congrats!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kazinsal posted:

Yes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kazinsal posted:

A pass is a pass , this Happened to me on the az-204 and it's because I went back and edited one answer at the review stage. Had I not I would have failed.

Always do the review

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
3 years ago I got a Juniper JNCIA-JUNOS cert. I used a 2nd hand Juniper I don't remember the model I think it was an SRX210 as sort of a lab to get a feel for the OS.

My cert expired but now my company wants me to get it again. I don't have that SRX anymore is that model still good for lab purposes? I'm guessing the exam has been updated since the last time I took it so maybe a 210 wouldn't cut it anymore? If not does anyone know what SRX I should get that won't cost and arm and a leg? 210s are pretty cheap.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Are you sure it was JNCIA? It’s a pretty entry level certification and while having hands on labbing is never a bad thing, it’s not a certification level that needs it.

The training videos on their site covered everything needed for the exam.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cyks posted:

Are you sure it was JNCIA? It’s a pretty entry level certification and while having hands on labbing is never a bad thing, it’s not a certification level that needs it.

The training videos on their site covered everything needed for the exam.

Yes it was the JCNIA and having an SRX absolutely helped me a lot. I'm just the type that learns better when I can go hands on with an CLI. Especially since we don't use Juniper at all where I work. And SRX210s can be purchased pretty cheap on eBay. I'm just not sure if the exam has changed in the last 3 years and a 210 might not have the right features for it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any take the M-102 or AZ-305? Or... dare I mention Okta certifications?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Memorize the pros and cons and pricing of every Azure offering.

And find a deity that likes you.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Charliegrs posted:

I'm just the type that learns better when I can go hands on with an CLI. Especially since we don't use Juniper at all where I work.

Charliegrs posted:

My cert expired but now my company wants me to get it again.

If your company wants you to get, tell them you need a lab switch for practise. If they need someone with the cert, let them provide the study materials.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i got frustrated with studying security+ because honestly i just stopped giving a gently caress

I switched instead to something way more interesting to me, IBM Mainframe/ Z/os / COBOL. Taking the Coursera stuff now to see how it goes and have something else to toss on the resume

im actually looking forward to studying and junk now and getting stuff done so i think it was a pro gamer move

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

If your company wants you to get, tell them you need a lab switch for practise. If they need someone with the cert, let them provide the study materials.

I'm sure they would reimburse me. I'm just curious if a SRX210 is still a good device to use for practice or if I need to get something newer because I don't know how much (if at all) the JCNIA has changed in the last 3 years.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Is there a commonly cited or trusted thread resource for CISSP study? I'm a moron who is about to swim in the deep end and want to know what I'm doing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is there a commonly cited or trusted thread resource for CISSP study? I'm a moron who is about to swim in the deep end and want to know what I'm doing.

Get the Cybex book and accompanying practice test for the current version of the exam.
Watch videos by the people who wrote the book.

Study a lot. Make flash cards. Use flash cards.
Make sure you know the encryption stuff and the risk assessment formulas by heart forward and backward.
Remember that the test is written from a management level, so nothing is worth implementing if the risk doesn't outweigh the cost.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tadashi posted:

Study a lot. Make flash cards. Use flash cards.
Make sure you know the encryption stuff and the risk assessment formulas by heart forward and backward.
Remember that the test is written from a management level, so nothing is worth implementing if the risk doesn't outweigh the cost.

I heard the sunflower guide was good for this but no clue if it’s outdated by now.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i got frustrated with studying security+ because honestly i just stopped giving a gently caress

I switched instead to something way more interesting to me, IBM Mainframe/ Z/os / COBOL. Taking the Coursera stuff now to see how it goes and have something else to toss on the resume

im actually looking forward to studying and junk now and getting stuff done so i think it was a pro gamer move

I was doing that for a while because I find it super interesting and wouldn't mind doing it day-to-day but I couldn't find any entry level COBOL/mainframe jobs. It's all replacing people who have been in positions for decades, so they want lots of experience. I even have an old pdp 11/83 at home for hobbyist stuff, but just didn't see postings that lead me to feel it was worth pursuing further. Would love to be proven wrong though!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

every position is an entry level position if the hiring authority is desperate enough

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

UnkleBoB posted:

I was doing that for a while because I find it super interesting and wouldn't mind doing it day-to-day but I couldn't find any entry level COBOL/mainframe jobs. It's all replacing people who have been in positions for decades, so they want lots of experience. I even have an old pdp 11/83 at home for hobbyist stuff, but just didn't see postings that lead me to feel it was worth pursuing further. Would love to be proven wrong though!

im currently applied to a mainframe position at a company ive been with for over 10 years, and directly worked with the team the entire time, the cert is something i signed up for after realizing that its gotten me excited and talking to people who know my background.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Man I love doing a remote proctored CCNP level exam, having the whole thing crash mid way through doing a lab exercise and then having to sit there watching the clock tick down while the proctor goes to get technical help, gets it relaunched so I can spend another minute double checking the config is how I left it and keep going

Lost at least loving 12-15 minutes and all the while my requests for help about wether I can get the clock paused or time added went completely ignored.

I passed still by some miracle…. But definitely one of the most stressful things I’ve had to deal with.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eeesh, thanks for the reminder to always stick with a testing site. Congrats on passing! :toot:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Definite congrats!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rudager posted:

Man I love doing a remote proctored CCNP level exam, having the whole thing crash mid way through doing a lab exercise and then having to sit there watching the clock tick down while the proctor goes to get technical help, gets it relaunched so I can spend another minute double checking the config is how I left it and keep going

Lost at least loving 12-15 minutes and all the while my requests for help about wether I can get the clock paused or time added went completely ignored.

I passed still by some miracle…. But definitely one of the most stressful things I’ve had to deal with.

While the few times I did an online proctored IT exam went smooth I've heard enough horror stories just like this to never do it again.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

While the few times I did an online proctored IT exam went smooth I've heard enough horror stories just like this to never do it again.

Eh Ill do it again next time, I’ve been smashing out certifications the last few years and think this would be the 8th one I’ve done and the first I’ve had a problem with.

I was freaking out because I was doing ENARSI again after failing my first go a week ago and in that attempt I answered the last question in the last 30 seconds of the 90 minutes allowed so knew losing 10 minutes was going to be tough.

Honestly it may have even been a good thing in a way because I blasted through the rest of the multi choices with whatever my first instinct was after checking for the usually gotcha’s Cisco loves to do, but the rush meant I didn’t get too in my own head about them too much either.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Passed the SAA-C03 last week! Failed it once but was able to put some solid days of studying in. Feels good to have that out of the way.

My degree course still has 3 Azure certs to do, but I believe doing the actual cert is optional and they just have a test within the class instead. Just curious how much knowledge overlap there is for Azure and AWS? Would it be dumb of me not to get those certs? They'd be free for the first try at it, but I'm not sure I can devote as much time to those as I did the SAA-C03. It's the Azure AZ-100, AZ-104 and AZ-204.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 16, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Blurb3947 posted:

Passed the SAA-C03 last week! Failed it once but was able to put some solid days of studying in. Feels good to have that out of the way.

My degree course still has two Azure certs to do, but I believe doing the actual cert is optional and they just have a test within the class instead. Just curious how much knowledge overlap there is for Azure and AWS? Would it be dumb of me not to get those certs? They'd be free for the first try at it, but I'm not sure I can devote as much time to those as I did the SAA-C03. It's the Azure AZ-100 and AZ-204.

The 204 is a decent challenge, but doable with a few weeks of study. The 100 is no big deal and you should do that first in a week or so of studying. Consider it studying for the 204.

The concepts of the 204 absolutely transfer indirectly to aws, the 100 not so much.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I finished a bunch of IBM Mainframe Developer/COBOL certs on coursera and now im cranking through my Server+ after finishing my net+ this year and a+ last year

server+ aint poo poo after network+ tbh

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone taken the CySA+ exam? If so, any thoughts?

I have my Security+ but I think I'm going to sit for the CySA+ next, as it opens more doors for some govt work. The only downside is my background is data analyst, so a lot of this stuff is straight memorization. Doing TryHackMe and HackTheBox to get some practical experience.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone taken the CySA+ exam? If so, any thoughts?

I have my Security+ but I think I'm going to sit for the CySA+ next, as it opens more doors for some govt work. The only downside is my background is data analyst, so a lot of this stuff is straight memorization. Doing TryHackMe and HackTheBox to get some practical experience.

I’m studying for it right now and it’s basically Sec++ as far as I can tell. I’m not too fussed about the hands on stuff, as I don’t think the test will lean into it much.

Excited to get my A/N/S+ renewed in one fell swoop

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

navyjack posted:

I’m studying for it right now and it’s basically Sec++ as far as I can tell. I’m not too fussed about the hands on stuff, as I don’t think the test will lean into it much.

Excited to get my A/N/S+ renewed in one fell swoop

:hfive:

Yeah, I was recently unaware about higher CompTIA certs renewing others, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Anyone Okta Certified? How difficult is it do that and am I able to do so without shelling cash for a training course but through YouTube Vids and a home lab?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I finished a bunch of IBM Mainframe Developer/COBOL certs on coursera and now im cranking through my Server+ after finishing my net+ this year and a+ last year

server+ aint poo poo after network+ tbh

Server+ appears to be little more than an amped up A+ for the most part.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Killer_B posted:

Server+ appears to be little more than an amped up A+ for the most part.

its about 2/3 A+ and 1/3 Network+ but without all the historical poo poo, I figure it's good for the stacked cert crap and for the resume

no sign of LANMAN on the study material :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

About 2/3s of the way through my CCNA course and I keep going from "wow this really is an inch deep and a mile wide, I've got this" to "oh my god, why does STP and HSRP make total sense to me one minute, and the next I'm a complete moron?"

On the plus side, have really only done like a third of the labs so far, but the CLI isn't really phasing me and I'm picking it up pretty well. Thank you childhood that was filled with playing games exclusively in DOS for that one, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

About 2/3s of the way through my CCNA course and I keep going from "wow this really is an inch deep and a mile wide, I've got this" to "oh my god, why does STP and HSRP make total sense to me one minute, and the next I'm a complete moron?"

On the plus side, have really only done like a third of the labs so far, but the CLI isn't really phasing me and I'm picking it up pretty well. Thank you childhood that was filled with playing games exclusively in DOS for that one, I think.

CCNA felt really schizophrenic with its depth. Tons of high level networking followed up with an insanely specific question about a stupid loving Cisco product.