Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diablo III failed because they didn't call it Triablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hwurmp posted:

Diablo III failed because they didn't call it Triablo

Diiiablo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Diablo

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Threeablo

D3ablo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the creators of Gobliiins would have sued Blizzard into the ground

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The complaint would be quickly thrown out though as it would be just a bunch of gibberish and guttural noises

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all they have to do is trick the judge into clicking on the wrong thing & startling theirself four times

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Re: Talos, I never had any inkling that the recorders could be problematic, they where straightforward I thought! I'm not any good at the games, I got "Good" ending for the first (but not 100%), and the "Normal/bad" ending for the expansion. Still gonna slam-buy Talos2 if it'll run on my machine!

-----------------

exquisite tea posted:

Because the simple act of killing a monster in D3 is pretty fun at any level.
It's funny, that's the exact opposite impression I got when I played the enlarged demo a while back. Got all the way to Leoric, was so bored the entire time. Like, punching things with the D1 warrior was tense, so why isn't this? It was like using a lvl1 barb in D2's Blood Moor for 2 hours, yawn.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

if you can make a good game that all occurs after a storyline, why waste dev time on the storyline to begin with?

Because when D3 came out 10+ years ago, the gameplay loop was similar to D2 and you were supposed to run the campaign at different difficulties. It was changed since then and the story was left as a different mode (even though nobody really plays it, also the story isn't that good to warrant playing D3 just for it).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Blattdorf posted:

On a different note, I now understand all the praise for Northern Journey. I thought the glowing reviews of it were overblown, but no, they were right on point. It's a bit like one of those Half-life 1 mods where you don't quite know what to expect, yet it all constitutes a highly compelling whole.

Come to think of it yeah, it feels like a janky mod with a whole lot of heart that sticks with you a really long time. I have trouble selling the game to people though because I don’t know how to elevator-pitch it.

Do you want to play a game that looks like Skyrim, has character models so grotesque that it it flips back to charming, you run really fast and kill hundreds of spiders in almost boomer-shooter like fashion, yet there’s a lot of slow periods where you do puzzles or take in the scenery, and enjoy a flying level? Well this game is for you.

e: *forces open elevator door as it closes* oh yeah and the music slaps too

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ARPGs essentially have 2 audiences: the people who like the campaign, and the people who like the loot grind (and people who like both). This happened because they started out with Diablo 1 inspired by traditional roguelikes where the point of the game was to play through the 'campaign'. Diablo 1 was very much in this spirit, but it also had the level-gated Nightmare and Hell difficulties for multiplayer, presumably because they didn't have difficulty scaling for player numbers and they wanted to keep up the challenge for multiple people. There wasn't any real reason to play higher difficulties beyond this as the way leveling worked made higher levels kinda pointless and there was no new loot.

Diablo 2 expanded on the higher difficulties, including it in singleplayer and actually adding in items that only dropped at higher levels and putting in a skill tree that benefited from higher levels. This essentially created a sub-audience who focused on high level builds and farming high level zones for loot for those high level builds. For these players the campaign was just something in the way. Eventually, across a decade, they became the largest audience of active Diablo 2 players because of course grinding focused players played the game longer and so Diablo 2 came to be seen as being all about the loot and high level builds.

Enter the Diablo 3 team who were not at all the developers of Diablo 1 and 2 and so had to go look at what Diablo was all about. And what they saw was a bunch of people who treated the campaign as an obstacle to cross in the way to farming endgame. Diablo 1 and 2 had campaigns so they couldn't just drop that aspect but unlike the developers of Diablo 1 and 2 they didn't treat the normal campaign as a reason to play the game in and of itself, so we got a game with a campaign not worth playing for itself stuffed into in a game otherwise all about the endgame.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phigs posted:

ARPGs essentially have 2 audiences: the people who like the campaign, and the people who like the loot grind (and people who like both). This happened because they started out with Diablo 1 inspired by traditional roguelikes where the point of the game was to play through the 'campaign'. Diablo 1 was very much in this spirit, but it also had the level-gated Nightmare and Hell difficulties for multiplayer, presumably because they didn't have difficulty scaling for player numbers and they wanted to keep up the challenge for multiple people. There wasn't any real reason to play higher difficulties beyond this as the way leveling worked made higher levels kinda pointless and there was no new loot.

Diablo 2 expanded on the higher difficulties, including it in singleplayer and actually adding in items that only dropped at higher levels and putting in a skill tree that benefited from higher levels. This essentially created a sub-audience who focused on high level builds and farming high level zones for loot for those high level builds. For these players the campaign was just something in the way. Eventually, across a decade, they became the largest audience of active Diablo 2 players because of course grinding focused players played the game longer and so Diablo 2 came to be seen as being all about the loot and high level builds.

Enter the Diablo 3 team who were not at all the developers of Diablo 1 and 2 and so had to go look at what Diablo was all about. And what they saw was a bunch of people who treated the campaign as an obstacle to cross in the way to farming endgame. Diablo 1 and 2 had campaigns so they couldn't just drop that aspect but unlike the developers of Diablo 1 and 2 they didn't treat the normal campaign as a reason to play the game in and of itself, so we got a game with a campaign not worth playing for itself stuffed into in a game otherwise all about the endgame.

As mentioned earlier in the thread this isn't true at all and is weirdly revisionist or just only aware of post-RoS. D3 was extremely true to D2 at launch in the sense that the running the campaign on higher difficulties was more or less the endgame. It didn't have runewords to farm or anything like that though and basically lacked any substantial reason to do that unless you really wanted to make use of the RMAH.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 5, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Orv posted:

As mentioned earlier in the thread this isn't true at all and is weirdly revisionist or just only aware of post-RoS. D3 was extremely true to D2 at launch in the sense that the running the campaign on higher difficulties was more or less the endgame. It didn't have runewords to farm or anything like that though and basically lacked any substantial reason to do that unless you really wanted to make use of the RMAH.

Endgame in release Diablo 3 was farming for gear at the highest level you could manage (well, buying from the AH was more efficient, either by grinding gold, running the AH, or using real money, but still...) so you could take on higher Torment levels. The Normal campaign was mind numbingly easy and didn't really become worth playing until at least Nightmare. I wasn't saying release Diablo 3 had its current endgame, only that the endgame it had was the focus, which was evident in how easy Normal was. In Diablo 2 you could have a bunch of fun just running the Normal campaign because it was a decent challenge in its own right, whereas Diablo 3's was a warmup to the real game of grinding higher difficulties.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phigs posted:

Endgame in release Diablo 3 was farming for gear at the highest level you could manage (well, buying from the AH was more efficient, either by grinding gold, running the AH, or using real money, but still...) so you could take on higher Torment levels. The Normal campaign was mind numbingly easy and didn't really become worth playing until at least Nightmare. I wasn't saying release Diablo 3 had its current endgame, only that the endgame it had was the focus, which was evident in how easy Normal was. In Diablo 2 you could have a bunch of fun just running the Normal campaign because it was a decent challenge in its own right, whereas Diablo 3's was a warmup to the real game of grinding higher difficulties.

Ah okay I misunderstood you. Yeah the first run of the campaign was an absolute snooze fest (and we'll leave out how I feel about how D2 handles higher campaign difficulties, it's more heresy from me) and then it was just grinding really uninteresting gear forever. I still think D3 is the pinnacle of how ARPGs feel to play, maybe a case to be made for Lost Ark but it fumbled basically everything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

I still think D3 is the pinnacle of how ARPGs feel to play,
*grins wickedly* actually, it's Wolcen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Orv posted:

Ah okay I misunderstood you. Yeah the first run of the campaign was an absolute snooze fest (and we'll leave out how I feel about how D2 handles higher campaign difficulties, it's more heresy from me) and then it was just grinding really uninteresting gear forever. I still think D3 is the pinnacle of how ARPGs feel to play, maybe a case to be made for Lost Ark but it fumbled basically everything else.

How do you feel about other ARPGs in the same vein, out of curiosity? Like, back in the day I always way preferred Titan Quest and the original Dungeon Siege over any Diablo game. D3 wasn't too bad, but it was still a little 'meh' to me

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Orv posted:

Have you played Diablo 4? I've heard people say the same kind of thing about that game's gameplay which is a shame because I agree that Diablo 3 had really awesome base mechanics and if Diablo 4 is even better that's saying something. I wish they could deliver that in a better overall package.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mmkay posted:

Because when D3 came out 10+ years ago, the gameplay loop was similar to D2 and you were supposed to run the campaign at different difficulties. It was changed since then and the story was left as a different mode (even though nobody really plays it, also the story isn't that good to warrant playing D3 just for it).

i guess that makes sense, but i dunno why it can't be both / folded together better. Phantasy Star Online did it, shrug

sorry if my post came off as lovely/dismissive, i meant it in the actual don't understand sense. if it works for you, cool, have fun. poo poo i play EDF i can understand the enjoyment of replaying content :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I think Wolcen is basically just straight aping D3 feel with 40x the VFX honestly, it's basically a tie for me.

Phigs posted:

Have you played Diablo 4? I've heard people say the same kind of thing about that game's gameplay which is a shame because I agree that Diablo 3 had really awesome base mechanics and if Diablo 4 is even better that's saying something. I wish they could deliver that in a better overall package.

I played the beta, the basic gameplay loop felt great but the balance was so wildly all over the place that I wasn't feeling most of the classes. I understand that's had a lot of fixing up done to it but I still don't have it myself.

Major Isoor posted:

How do you feel about other ARPGs in the same vein, out of curiosity? Like, back in the day I always way preferred Titan Quest and the original Dungeon Siege over any Diablo game. D3 wasn't too bad, but it was still a little 'meh' to me

I am also a Titan Quest guy actually, if I had to really pick. I love Diablo 1 and for many years just didn't really like D2 at all, mostly due to some bad experiences with who I tried to play it with initially but Titan Quest 1 just clicked for me in a great way, even if it was always kind of stodgy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mordja posted:

https://i.imgur.com/O6oxGXa.mp4

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not sure that video is a heavy an indictment as you might think.

That said, ARPGs and badly aligned clickboxes are two great tastes that go great together.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Diablo 3 because it's the one of the few games in the genre that actually has your abilities interact with each other, instead of having you just stack numbers for ever like every other Diablo game.

Last Epoch is very good about it too. Lots of interesting build options.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
maybe i should actually do a full run of the van helsing games sometime

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Light Gun Man posted:

maybe i should actually do a full run of the van helsing games sometime

Now you wanna talk about an ARPG with baaaad gamefeel...

Mordja fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 5, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

After Diablo Immortal blizzard were going to really have to try to get me interested in a new Diablo game. And they have done absolutely none of that. Not a single thing to budge the needle.

( I can only imagine how much worse it must be for people who actually played D:I )

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

After Diablo Immortal blizzard were going to really have to try to get me interested in a new Diablo game. And they have done absolutely none of that. Not a single thing to budge the needle.

( I can only imagine how much worse it must be for people who actually played D:I )

Ah, didn't have a phone to play it yourself?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phigs posted:

ARPGs essentially have 2 audiences: the people who like the campaign, and the people who like the loot grind (and people who like both).

This is on point. I'm definitely in the latter category, although a fun campaign can be nice. FWIW, I was pretty disappointed by D3 when I played it years after release. It seemed like each class had several predefined gear sets they were supposed to use. The sets changed the playstyle quite a bit which was cool, but it kinda robbed some of the joy because it felt like I was just following a build guide instead of coming up with something on my own.

I'm still occasionally playing Grim Dawn and Path of Exile because there are so many weird items and ability combinations that I can create a cool build that feels original.

Anyways, thanks thread, I didn't realize Wolcen was out of early access.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried playing Grim Dawn and I did beat the vanilla campaign but it was exceedingly boring because the builds just amounted to picking a damage type and stacking damage numbers and resistance removal numbers of that type.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
As soon as I reach the 'endgame' of a game like that I basically immediately lose interest. I've spent the last 10 or so hours having a nice steady rate of progression and levelling up with at least some kind of narrative then I reach the endgame and suddenly it's a brick wall of grind and repetition. I genuinely don't understand it. Diablo, Destiny, The Division etc, it's all the same.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The console versions of Diablo 3 actually played a lot better because they added a run and dodge button all classes could do and playing with a controller was much more precise than the mouse. Unfortunately, they never patched this back into the PC version.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to admit I am intrigued by how dumb this sounds

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phigs posted:

Endgame in release Diablo 3 was farming for gear at the highest level you could manage (well, buying from the AH was more efficient, either by grinding gold, running the AH, or using real money, but still...) so you could take on higher Torment levels.
I am pretty sure "Torment" didn't exist before Reaper. It went Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and The Italian Word For Hell for difficulties.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Zereth posted:

I am pretty sure "Torment" didn't exist before Reaper. It went Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and The Italian Word For Hell for difficulties.

Ah, true. Weird that I played more during when it was Inferno but still got Torment stuck in my head instead.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Blattdorf posted:

Maybe I'm the outlier because I usually find 2-3 games in the Humble Choice that make it worthwhile.

On a different note, I now understand all the praise for Northern Journey. I thought the glowing reviews of it were overblown, but no, they were right on point. It's a bit like one of those Half-life 1 mods where you don't quite know what to expect, yet it all constitutes a highly compelling whole.

Another game that surprised me was Fidget Spinner RPG. I thought I'd get some kind of idle version mash-up between spinning that fidget and fighting imaginary dragons embedded in light RPG mechanics. Instead, it's a literal acid trip.

northern journey absolutely rocks. one of the best i've played this year. it's so totally idiosyncratic.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aphex- posted:

As soon as I reach the 'endgame' of a game like that I basically immediately lose interest. I've spent the last 10 or so hours having a nice steady rate of progression and levelling up with at least some kind of narrative then I reach the endgame and suddenly it's a brick wall of grind and repetition. I genuinely don't understand it. Diablo, Destiny, The Division etc, it's all the same.

I played it because numbers go up.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)
All I remember about Diablo 3 was every chapter's cartoon villain constantly showing up as a hologram to go "gently caress YOU NEPHALIM". I know it's dated to complain about the D3 story/writing but jesus. D2's cinematics still hold up today.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing Grim Dawn and I did beat the vanilla campaign but it was exceedingly boring because the builds just amounted to picking a damage type and stacking damage numbers and resistance removal numbers of that type.

It's kind of fascinating how consistently you have the exact opposite opinion to mine. I don't mean this in a bad way, it's pretty funny and actually makes me consider why I like/don't like a game beyond "it's good"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The main problem with Grim Dawn is that it's butt ugly compared to the beautiful and vivid Titan Quest. Kind of baffling considering how good TQ still looks for a 16 year old game. It's just exhausting for me to look at visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

My first crack at Grim Dawn, I flirted close with formulating a very meta build by dumb luck, but did it wrong and gave up on it quickly because it was equal parts boring and ineffective. Which quite frankly if I can land on a noticeably bad, unfun build within the first 10~ levels the designers hosed something up.

Out of curiosity I looked up how was I "supposed to" run it: Pick one active ability and spam it on everything, forever, for the entire game. And then like you said, stack gear related to its damage type. What a thrill. :rolleyes:

It didn't help that Grim Dawn is overly dark and murky and relies on obnoxiously mazey maps in stark contrast to TQ. I also didn't like the sheer amount of cruft - piles of currencies and crafting materials and needing to worry about faction rep all couched in menus that I found really unpleasant to navigate. To say nothing of the long, bloated item cards and the fact they included a search function to make parsing loot realistically possible...

Aphex- posted:

Generally, same. Diablo 3 stood out because while the endgame is still the same type of grind, it's a little more structured which gave it more staying power with me, especially when combined with seasonal play.

Otherwise that sort of empty grind dispels the illusion and reveals the slot machine and I'm out. There's no sense of satisfaction in making numbers go up if the only benefit is feeding back into making numbers go up.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 5, 2023