Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
First time stopped in the airport security check on my pen. Long discussion in broken spanish finally convinced that that this was not a needle to threaten the flight crew.

Ink colour or pressure-related spillage did not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Letmebefrank posted:

First time stopped in the airport security check on my pen. Long discussion in broken spanish finally convinced that that this was not a needle to threaten the flight crew.

Ink colour or pressure-related spillage did not help.

I had one of this discussions over my Vac Mini at the courthouse for jury duty earlier this year.

Thankfully they didn't confiscate it, but I did drop it off at work during the recess. My VP? Not even a blink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The VP just looks like any other nice pen.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Maybe they've just played the hitman reboot series where you can throw a sharp, exploding fountain pen at people.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Me: I had gotten one of those little J. Herbin inkballs so I could use my fountain pen ink in something I could hand over for somebody else if they needed to borrow a pen for a bit. It was actually working pretty well and flowed smooth. It still does, but it got run over by me in my chair and got a crack. Now the rear end wants to pop off instead of the front when I have to open it. Shopping around for other inkballs, I saw a Monteverde that looked pretty nice. I decided to give it a shot.

Me after it arrived: Well, it's taking a bit to start but then it kicks in an to write ohhhh no 's st ti g to skip. G d d t ll these pens hav se problems?!

Edit: Huh. Seems fine now. It needed my e-rage to unblock itself.

manglar
Jun 25, 2023
A couple days ago I finally finished the 400-page Tomoe River notebook I'd been using for the last year as my daily journal. I switched to a "b7 Bulky" notebook and it's really nice. b7 Bulky paper is a relative of Cosmo Air, but I'd say it's smoother and with less friction. It tames the Japanese-fine nib that's normally too scratchy for my tastes on Cosmo or Tomoe River, and I think I do prefer it over either of those papers.

b7 makes every single ink sheen! Even Salix - which is normally very matte - dries to a pink overtone. Ink also spreads out a little with it. It doesn't feather, but my fine nib becomes a little broader and wetter on this paper. These are the quirks I was hoping for, so I'm very pleased. It's also the kind of fancy-schmancy paper that all but requires blotting paper. That's fine with me, though, because I'm an enthusiast pervert that seeks out paper like this. I don't know if I'd recommend this for regular people who just want regular paper, but it's perfect for me. I wanted paper that makes ink look cool (regardless of the drawbacks), and this does that in spades.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

manglar posted:

A couple days ago I finally finished the 400-page Tomoe River notebook I'd been using for the last year as my daily journal. I switched to a "b7 Bulky" notebook and it's really nice. b7 Bulky paper is a relative of Cosmo Air, but I'd say it's smoother and with less friction. It tames the Japanese-fine nib that's normally too scratchy for my tastes on Cosmo or Tomoe River, and I think I do prefer it over either of those papers.

b7 makes every single ink sheen! Even Salix - which is normally very matte - dries to a pink overtone. Ink also spreads out a little with it. It doesn't feather, but my fine nib becomes a little broader and wetter on this paper. These are the quirks I was hoping for, so I'm very pleased. It's also the kind of fancy-schmancy paper that all but requires blotting paper. That's fine with me, though, because I'm an enthusiast pervert that seeks out paper like this. I don't know if I'd recommend this for regular people who just want regular paper, but it's perfect for me. I wanted paper that makes ink look cool (regardless of the drawbacks), and this does that in spades.

Where did you buy it? Last month I did a solid order with Galen and ordered the A5 notebooks they had, I do not recall b7 Bulky being in their line up.
Because yes, that is the type of masochism that is right up my alley.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/heritage/rouge-et-noir-baby

i'm actually mad at how good this pen was to hold. the weight and balance were perfect for me and i really want a tiny pen to keep with my journals. and it starts at 800 bucks. gently caress! gently caress you montblanc and your quality pens.

i consoled myself by picking up a pretty kaweco sport

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/heritage/rouge-et-noir-baby

i'm actually mad at how good this pen was to hold. the weight and balance were perfect for me and i really want a tiny pen to keep with my journals. and it starts at 800 bucks. gently caress! gently caress you montblanc and your quality pens.

i consoled myself by picking up a pretty kaweco sport

Much lighter, but Franklin-Christoph makes excellent pens and has two nice tiny models, the p20 and the pocket 66 (they have lots of other colorways besides those I linked). Best QC I've found as they tune all their nibs in house and offer some in-house grinds standard too.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Muir posted:

Much lighter, but Franklin-Christoph makes excellent pens and has two nice tiny models, the p20 and the pocket 66 (they have lots of other colorways besides those I linked). Best QC I've found as they tune all their nibs in house and offer some in-house grinds standard too.

oh those are much more my speed price-wise! Thank you for the recommendation! gonna spend some time poking around that website, hell yeah

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

oh those are much more my speed price-wise! Thank you for the recommendation! gonna spend some time poking around that website, hell yeah

Glad they catch your fancy! I love them. They're made in North Carolina and have excellent customer service. I have a strong preference for posting my cap on my pen, and they have a pen (the Model 02) that's designed just for that, which is how I first found them. They use Jowo nibs but have an in-house nib tuner who also does their house stub italic gradient (S.I.G.) nib grind (it's a blend of a stub and an italic, similar to other nib grinders' cursive stub italic (CSI)), and then they stock stubs, cursive italics, and needlepoints by Yukio Nagahara who knows his stuff.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
A quick etiquette question: is it cool to sign up for a second slot with a nibmeister at a con, or should I limit myself to one?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NiftyBottle posted:

A quick etiquette question: is it cool to sign up for a second slot with a nibmeister at a con, or should I limit myself to one?

You can ask the meister themselves to check how busy they are?

manglar
Jun 25, 2023

Keetron posted:

Where did you buy it? Last month I did a solid order with Galen and ordered the A5 notebooks they had, I do not recall b7 Bulky being in their line up.
Because yes, that is the type of masochism that is right up my alley.

I bought it from danika58 on Etsy.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Muir posted:

Glad they catch your fancy! I love them. They're made in North Carolina and have excellent customer service. I have a strong preference for posting my cap on my pen, and they have a pen (the Model 02) that's designed just for that, which is how I first found them. They use Jowo nibs but have an in-house nib tuner who also does their house stub italic gradient (S.I.G.) nib grind (it's a blend of a stub and an italic, similar to other nib grinders' cursive stub italic (CSI)), and then they stock stubs, cursive italics, and needlepoints by Yukio Nagahara who knows his stuff.

:justpost:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Goddamnit I got COVID from my Hub event

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

grack posted:

Goddamnit I got COVID from my Hub event

ah geez, that sucks. i hope it passes quickly!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

manglar posted:

I bought it from danika58 on Etsy.

oh my...
this was a mistake...

edit: thank god, shipping is insane so I'll pass up on this one.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 29, 2023

manglar
Jun 25, 2023

Keetron posted:

oh my...
this was a mistake...

edit: thank god, shipping is insane so I'll pass up on this one.

:shepspends:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I have a confession to make: I've mostly switched over to mechanical pencils for school since I finally got into a groove that works with quickly and effectively getting stuff down during speedy lectures. I'm still getting a lot of use out of my fine-tipped Metropolitan since it works well in lab data books that have to be all in ink. Right now I'm using Papier Plume Calle Real which looks nice an professional while still being a striking blue. I'm thinking of changing the colour up whenever I move on to another experiment.

Kuru Toga just came in today and I'm digging the rotation mechanism. I do wish it had an actual eraser that than the little nub that's just a lead reservoir cork that wishes it was an eraser. My favorite pencils in the bunch are the ones with big beefy twist erasers like the Steadtler triplus and to a lesser extent the Remedy, since I've grown to find the bigger diameter isn't for me. The Tombow Mono has a twist eraser, but the mechanism for it is kinda loosey goosey and liked to slip the whole thing back in depending on your erasing angle.

Any other mechanical pencils that anyone's had good experiences with? The bigger the eraser the better, I use that thing a lot.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I had the same Papermate Clearpoint for about fifteen years, until it got lost in a move. Bought it in my junior year of high school and used it all through college, too.

I have bought several more since, they're great pencils, if unsophisticated by modern standards. Sturdy, comfortable, functional, no bells and whistles beyond the twist eraser and the clicker by your forefinger instead of on the top, which I prefer anyway. Cheap, too. And they come in 0.5 and 0.7 for the size queens out there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Coxswain Balls posted:

Any other mechanical pencils that anyone's had good experiences with? The bigger the eraser the better, I use that thing a lot.

I have zero knowledge of mechanical pencils but the jetpens YouTube has a ton of videos showing off various ones you might enjoy. I really like their videos.

https://youtu.be/PESa3Du3udY

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
While I'm not a fan personally of mechanical pencils, all of my family swears by Faber Castell. They make some nice beefy mechanical pencils, incredibly sturdy, and I used them throughout school

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a confession to make: I've mostly switched over to mechanical pencils for school since I finally got into a groove that works with quickly and effectively getting stuff down during speedy lectures. I'm still getting a lot of use out of my fine-tipped Metropolitan since it works well in lab data books that have to be all in ink. Right now I'm using Papier Plume Calle Real which looks nice an professional while still being a striking blue. I'm thinking of changing the colour up whenever I move on to another experiment.

Kuru Toga just came in today and I'm digging the rotation mechanism. I do wish it had an actual eraser that than the little nub that's just a lead reservoir cork that wishes it was an eraser. My favorite pencils in the bunch are the ones with big beefy twist erasers like the Steadtler triplus and to a lesser extent the Remedy, since I've grown to find the bigger diameter isn't for me. The Tombow Mono has a twist eraser, but the mechanism for it is kinda loosey goosey and liked to slip the whole thing back in depending on your erasing angle.

I rather liked my pentel graphgear 1000, until it went walkabout. I also got a pentel [fine?] kerry. Doesn't come in a ton of sizes like the graphgear, but having a cap is pretty nice. Don't quite remember how the eraser was on the graphgear, the kerry's got a tiny one. That's never really bothered me, those erasers are always pretty crap and carrying around a proper eraser isn't exactly a huge imposition.

Glad the kuru toga's working well for you — mine's pretty much just a regular pencil, because unsurprisingly if you just write in cursive, there's no kuru-ing to be had. Then again, it doesn't seem to rotate much even if I'm just writing numbers, so perhaps I just have too much of a light touch to get it to work properly……

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

I had a pentel sharp (tm) 5mm for years and years, never let me down and then one day it was gone. Bought another one but the feeling wasn't there anymore.
If I'd have to get a mechanical pencil now, I'd probably get a Rotring 800 7mm.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Coxswain Balls posted:

Buddy, find a pencil you like writing with and one of these and never worry about the eraser again

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I'm at home doing practice and assignments I use a proper eraser, but during lectures for the stupid little mistakes I'm prone to making, having it all on one hand is quickest.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like the Kuru Toga, but I find myself always reaching for the Pentel Graphgear 500. It has the perfect weight and balance for me.

When I was studying for actuarial exams, I always used the Graphgear, and it's just a great mechanical pencil. As for erasers, my wife likes the clicky tube ones, but I like the Pentel white block ones.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Heath posted:

Buddy, find a pencil you like writing with and one of these and never worry about the eraser again

This. Or something like it. Stick erasers shaped like a pencil with a clip so you can keep em side by side. I almost never use the built-in eraser on mechanical pencils, they just wear out too fast and are too expensive.

Edit: oh you replied to this already :downs:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Not in the least what you are looking for, but my favorite mechanical pencil has always been Pentel’s Techniclick. It’s just a cheap plastic one, but I like the side advance.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

I bought tickets for the Philly Pen Show in January. It'll be my first pen show and I'm already overwhelmed. What do I need to think about ahead of time (other than setting a strict budget so I don't bankrupt myself)? What should I bring, what should I look for?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If you don't already have an ink journal, this would be a good time to start one. You can scribble some of the various inks you encounter into it so you have a reference to look at later when you want a specific color or whatever.

If you want any nib tuning or custom nib grinds, look at the nib meisters who will be at the show as those appointments usually need to be booked in advance.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Coxswain Balls posted:

the tombow mono square clicky eraser is one i've liked a lot for drawing with relatively fine weight lead. i also have one of those little scooty eraser dust pickeruppers that it very nice to have.

as for actual pencils, i have the metal barrel kuro toga and it's by far my favorite i've ever used. otherwise i use a charcoal pencil that's shaved down, or like a drafting lead holder because i want big bold strokes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mikeycp posted:

i also have one of those little scooty eraser dust pickeruppers that it very nice to have.

I would like to know more about this adorable sounding contraption. I just got some new erasers that JetPens recommended and holy moly they're a lot nicer than the bog standard Staedtler I just finished using up. Less dust, but I would still like something better than just brushing everything onto the ground to vacuum later. They had refills for that Tombow precision eraser, but no stock of the actual eraser.

I swung by the Japanese import shop nearby since they always have a rotating stock of very nice stationery at very reasonable prices and picked up a Pentel e-Sharp and a Platinum OLEeNU. They both have an improved clutch mechanism that lets you use the whole lead instead of the last cm just falling out which is nice, but I don't know if I can go back from the ever sharp Kuru Toga.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Muir posted:

If you don't already have an ink journal, this would be a good time to start one. You can scribble some of the various inks you encounter into it so you have a reference to look at later when you want a specific color or whatever.

If you want any nib tuning or custom nib grinds, look at the nib meisters who will be at the show as those appointments usually need to be booked in advance.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I've been using the Col-o-ring for swatches, but a journal might be easier to bring along.

I wouldn't even know what to ask a nibmeister to do, so I will probably be safe in skipping that for now.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Coxswain Balls posted:

I would like to know more about this adorable sounding contraption. I just got some new erasers that JetPens recommended and holy moly they're a lot nicer than the bog standard Staedtler I just finished using up. Less dust, but I would still like something better than just brushing everything onto the ground to vacuum later. They had refills for that Tombow precision eraser, but no stock of the actual eraser.

They're called eraser dust cleaners and you can get them from places like Jetpens. Basically it's a little roller brush in a housing so you can just roll it over wherever you need to pick up the eraser shavings. Here's Jetpen's photo of one:

I probably wouldn't use it on anything art-related as it might smear the line if rolling over the pencil artwork itself, but it'll be good for basically anything else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chip McFuck posted:

They're called eraser dust cleaners and you can get them from places like Jetpens. Basically it's a little roller brush in a housing so you can just roll it over wherever you need to pick up the eraser shavings. Here's Jetpen's photo of one:

I probably wouldn't use it on anything art-related as it might smear the line if rolling over the pencil artwork itself, but it'll be good for basically anything else.

i use it for drawing (only when drawing with normal mechanical pencil) and it doesn't smudge. i like to go to coffee shops and draw so it's good for being considerate and not getting 40 lbs of eraser shavings all over their table and floor.

it will absolutely smudge any Actual Art Pencils. but but normal ones? fine. especially when you've already inked and are erasing any pencil you don't want in the final.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh an Estie I'm actually interested in picking up, though maybe not that color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFxLcL1lIDk

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I don't know if I love this, or hate it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004598663007.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

2.9mm?! What are we doing? Painting a house?